homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Reading a Bible on the train...

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Reading a Bible on the train...
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Had quite an impact.

"Death is not the end" appears to have been the verse that set passengers racing off the train.

What other verses are best read in one's head, and not expressed to the public at large?

Posts: 7578 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Deuteronomy 13:12-15 might not go down too well:
"If you hear it said about one of the towns that the Lord your God is giving you to live in, that scoundrels from among you have gone out and led the inhabitants of the town astray, saying, ‘Let us go and worship other gods’, whom you have not known, then you shall inquire and make a thorough investigation. If the charge is established that such an abhorrent thing has been done among you, you shall put the inhabitants of that town to the sword, utterly destroying it and everything in it".

[ 03. October 2017, 07:39: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9477 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
[QB] Had quite an impact.

It's not April 1st is it? [Ultra confused]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3121 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cathscats
Shipmate
# 17827

- Posted      Profile for Cathscats   Email Cathscats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought this story was both sad and worrying.

--------------------
"...damp hands and theological doubts - the two always seem to go together..." (O. Douglas, "The Setons")

Posts: 156 | From: Central Highlands | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It reflects the ignorance, prejudice and fears of many people.

Someone talking aloud to no-one in particular is seen as "odd" (unless, of course, they have a phone to their ear) and potentially dangerous.

Someone reading a religious book in public is a sign of dangerous radicalism.

An apparently deranged, radical, religious nutter then mentions the word "death" ... and we see what happens.

--------------------
All I want for Christmas is EU

Posts: 32187 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been on a London train where a man was shouting out Bible verses. I recognised them but was still really intimidated by it - he was basically shouting what seemed like random things at the train. When the story says "out loud", it doesn't account for the tone (or the volume!).

On a more Heavenly note (ish), I suspect that other unsuitable verses for reading out loud on the train would include Ezekiel 23. Imagine the horror!

Posts: 859 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm. Is 'death is not the end' an actual Bible verse? Bible Gateway doesn't seem to think so...

I wonder if, perhaps, the phrase was used by the man in question simply to conclude and underline his reading/preaching? IOW, it was a message of hope, not fear, albeit maybe badly expressed.

A sad reflection on the times, though, making it look as though the radical terrorists are winning.

[Disappointed]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 9447 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favourite verse for reading out of context, in a Christopher Lee type voice, is Revelation 2:12b-13a:
These are the words of the One who has the sharp, double-edged sword. I know where you live...

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3728 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Overused]
Posts: 9477 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to have a colleague who always carried a Bible in his briefcase (he was a Jehovah's Witness). He was once afraid he was about to be mugged: the would-be muggers asked what was in the case, he told them about the Bible and took it out to show them, and they ran off in a panic!

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016