homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Confess Your Unpopular Opinion (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Confess Your Unpopular Opinion
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
So my unpopular opinion is that 99% or worship music is crap, and the remaining stuff is meh.

That is a fact, not an opinion.
sing along!
"Jesus makes me happy that I don't need any talent"

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 16935 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, no - the best ones go like this:

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus x14-20 times, you are so nice.....

But yes, Fact, rather than Opinion.

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 9168 | From: Passing The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I followed the whole series of HHG on the radio and loved it. At the time I was working in a town that I hated and that was the one bright thing in my life.

Thanks for the heads up about the anniversary CK.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10115 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I am not going to comment on his worship music, because I am not a fan of worship music. So my unpopular opinion is that 99% or worship music is crap, and the remaining stuff is meh.

A charitable opinion, in my view. Most of that 99% consists of vacuous verbiage and instantly forgettable music, notwithstanding the fact that this crapulous noise brings tears of emotion to my minister's eyes whenever we are exposed to the band singing Jesusjesusjesus x 20+. God gives us the great gift of music, and this is what we give back. It has killed congregational singing stone dead. Pshaugghhh!

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 882 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gordon Brown was the best prime minister we've had in the last 35 years.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3700 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agree with Dayfd that Pratchett was different. Better? Possibly. Obviously more prolific. At the end of the day the only metric I can judge either by is whether they bring joy or not, and both do, for me.

Never read Bill, the Galactic Hero but the Stainless Steel Rat books are good, but not as enjoyable for me as H2G2 or the better Discworld books. I read them avidly in my late teens, enjoyed them, only later discovered they were meant to be funny. I mean sure they weren't straight serious SciFi, but didn't actually laugh.

The problem with the "Worship music is crap" "fact" is that it suffers from the no true Scotsman fallacy.

Kendrick won brownie points with me a while back when he made a video arguing song writers need to get back to writing songs people can actually sing.

Posts: 3679 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Higgs Bosun:
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Neither version of rugby is as entertaining to watch as Australian football. That doesn't seem to have any rules at all (except, no edged weapons).

I thought there were two rules:

1) It starts with a ball thrown up in the air

2) You then have a fight

I was told (by an authentic Strine) that the main rule was that no firearms were allowed which were larger than a .45.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 14683 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
]This is often said, and perhaps I have a cloth ear for literature, but contra my earlier statement, the later HP books are the only ones of significant length I've managed to get to the end of, so I'm not sure the problem is that great.

JK Rowling tells a good story. I find the school year framework rather tedious - half of each book pretty much writes itself before she's started - but children's literature is hardly a stranger to formulism, and Rowling is better than most.

Personally, I have been unable to read anything written by John "tedious" Steinbeck. Every time I try, I just fall asleep. Yes, I understand that walking down a dirt track in the Depression is boring, but I don't want to be bored reading about it.

Posts: 4843 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
Personally, I have been unable to read anything written by John "tedious" Steinbeck. Every time I try, I just fall asleep. Yes, I understand that walking down a dirt track in the Depression is boring, but I don't want to be bored reading about it.

Oh, man, me too. And the thing is, I so badly wanted to like it, or at least 'get' it. So many people obviously find so much in it. I tried 'The Grapes of Wrath' first, was recommended another of his works as being much better, by an enthusiast, couldn't get into that one either, and the process has just pretty much continued. There's always a different one I should read if I really want to understand his voice. At this point, I'm thinking I'll just pass.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 982 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The word "folk" when attached to church. Twee

Why not "people"?

Posts: 3748 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I'm certain the success of Les Miserables emboldened them. Another very nearly unreadable novel, btw.

It is readable. You just have to realise that you're not reading it for the plot. The plot is a piece of threadbare sentimental melodrama that would make Dickens blush. You're reading it for the digressions. Hugo was an unashamedly Romantic poet and his digressions are unashamedly Romantic prose-poems.
How many of these writers were paid by the word? If that money was what kept them fed, housed, and clothed, they might well have been purposely verbose--more so, if they had dependents.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17974 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:

Thatcher, Major, Blair, Cameron, May. No stiff competition.

When Britain is successful it is despite, not because of, the Prime Minister.

--------------------
Fearfully and wonderfully mad
Love the dinner, hate the din.
ن
blog

Posts: 8762 | From: Somewhere else | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:

Why not "people"?

Depends of colloquial usage. Which side of the Atlantic you are on and which region of the UK you are in makes a difference.

--------------------
ن
blog

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
quote:

Oh, man, me too. And the thing is, I so badly wanted to like it, or at least 'get' it. So many people obviously find so much in it. I tried 'The Grapes of Wrath' first, was recommended another of his works as being much better, by an enthusiast, couldn't get into that one either, and the process has just pretty much continued. There's always a different one I should read if I really want to understand his voice. At this point, I'm thinking I'll just pass.
I'm glad it's not just me... I've ploughed through The Grapes Of Wrath, but I just can't muster up the willpower to make it to the end.

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1056 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Why not "people"?

I use both - simply for variety. But not "guys".

[ 17. October 2017, 07:23: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9415 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:

Why not "people"?

I use both - simply for variety. But not "guys".
"Guys" refers to boys or men, never to mixed sex or gender, nor to all female groups.

--------------------
ن
blog

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
"Guys" refers to boys or men, never to mixed sex or gender, nor to all female groups.

We have had this discussion with our teenager, and it seems that "guys" and "dudes" have lost any sense of referring only to boys and men. I'm not sure how widely this applies, but it seems that the former fairly rigid rule has broken down.

--------------------
arse

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:

We have had this discussion with our teenager, and it seems that "guys" and "dudes" have lost any sense of referring only to boys and men. I'm not sure how widely this applies, but it seems that the former fairly rigid rule has broken down.
Has he seen the musical "Guys and Guys?"

--------------------
ن
blog

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Has he seen the musical "Guys and Guys?"

Showing your age there, old bean.

The times are moving on. The terms that our generation used are changing in the hands of the next.

[ 17. October 2017, 08:33: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, Guys has become mixed sex. It just has. I think it's the influence of US and Australian tv programmes in the UK, don't know how it happened elsewhere.

The ship of guys = men/boys has long sailed either way.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1398 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone else listen to the latest The Allusionist podcast? I was surprised to find out that 'guy' is actually an eponym - it comes from Guy Fawkes!
Posts: 3679 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Paul.:
Anyone else listen to the latest The Allusionist podcast? I was surprised to find out that 'guy' is actually an eponym - it comes from Guy Fawkes!

Nope, how interesting.

And here's another unpopular opinion (at least in Britain): 99% of the best radio from around the world comes from outside of the BBC. The BBC is not the source of the best spoken word radio.

--------------------
arse

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:

Thatcher, Major, Blair, Cameron, May. No stiff competition.

When Britain is successful it is despite, not because of, the Prime Minister.

With better luck we could have had Denis Healey instead of Thatcher, then John Smith, who was missed and mourned by the whole House.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24001 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
Yes, Guys has become mixed sex. It just has.

No.

It's as mixed sex as saying "And on earth peace to all men". That is, the speaker may not be intending to exclude women, and by whatever ruleset it may be technically correct, but it does serve to make women feel excluded.

Posts: 2373 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Paul.:

Nope, how interesting.

And here's another unpopular opinion (at least in Britain): 99% of the best radio from around the world comes from outside of the BBC. The BBC is not the source of the best spoken word radio.

although, as a confirmed Radio 4 Extra addict, I can confirm that thanks to hours on end of eg the Moth Radio Hour, a lot of the best spoken word radio is increasingly *on* the BBC. Or, at least, more than it used to be.

For which development, much thanks.

--------------------

Posts: 1398 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Originally posted by Amorya:
quote:

No.

It's as mixed sex as saying "And on earth peace to all men". That is, the speaker may not be intending to exclude women, and by whatever ruleset it may be technically correct, but it does serve to make women feel excluded.

Except that round my way it's more often used *by* women to mean both sexes. I mean, I don't even say the word myself (at all, let alone in mixed company), but I can whistle up a slack handful of 20 and early 30 something girls who do.

It has been claimed by millennials of both genders to do something other than what you say it does.

Doesn't make it better/right/or whatever, but it's undeniable that it has happened.

--------------------

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

I feel I should now add my apparently unpopular opinion that language evolves.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Except that round my way it's more often used *by* women to mean both sexes. I mean, I don't even say the word myself (at all, let alone in mixed company), but I can whistle up a slack handful of 20 and early 30 something girls who do.

It has been claimed by millennials of both genders to do something other than what you say it does.

Doesn't make it better/right/or whatever, but it's undeniable that it has happened.

This. It is young females that seem to use the term as in "hi guuuys!". Young males of the same age mostly just seem to grunt in response.

--------------------
arse

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

This. It is young females that seem to use the term as in "hi guuuys!". Young males of the same age mostly just seem to grunt in response.
This seems to be the main way I hear it used to mean both sexes. No one would refer to one female as a “guy,” but “guys” may be used for a mixed group. More specifically, “guys” or “you guys” becomes a second person plural.

Fortunately, in these parts we have “y’all” to mitigate that trend.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2503 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Why not "people"?

'Church folk' is quicker to say than 'church people'. But 'people who go to church' is surely more common than 'folk who go to church'.

I also think that 'church folk' brings to mind a certain demographic. You wouldn't use it to refer to worshippers at HTB....

Also on a churchy theme, I think it's unpopular here to state that the future of Christianity in Britain is bleak.

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
So my unpopular opinion is that 99% or worship music is crap, and the remaining stuff is meh.

That is a fact, not an opinion.
sing along!
"Jesus makes me happy that I don't need any talent"

If Jesus only wanted 'talented' people then the Christian religion would barely exist. To a large extent it's a religion for losers. (Is that an unpopular opinion?)
Posts: 6427 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

No.

Yeah, I'm going to say this might well be a generational thing.
It is massively common among the youngs to use guys and dude regardless of gender. Brits, Yanks and Aussies, anyway.

--------------------

Posts: 16935 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It is massively common among the youngs to use guys and dude regardless of gender. Brits, Yanks and Aussies, anyway.

And it's entirely context-dependent. I can point you at any number of young women who will address their friends (of whatever combination of sexes) as "guys", and then in the next sentence use "guys" to mean male people.
Posts: 4843 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

No.

Yeah, I'm going to say this might well be a generational thing.

"Hey you guuuuys...!

I think the show started using that phrase as their intro in '72.

Posts: 6399 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
"Hey you guuuuys...!

I think the show started using that phrase as their intro in '72.

That is the mixed sex variation. It would be interesting to see female to female use of guys in that era.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
quote:

And it's entirely context-dependent. I can point you at any number of young women who will address their friends (of whatever combination of sexes) as "guys", and then in the next sentence use "guys" to mean male people.
Same with dude. Dude in specific address is genderless, dude in third party is male.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife goes to an Aquafit exercise class twice a week. All the participants are 60+ women. There are three different 30-something instructors (not on the same day!), all are women.

All of them shout, "Come on, guys!" to their protegees.

Posts: 9415 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stepson #2 regularly addresses us as "Dude" when he's excited. ("Dude, did you see that touchdown?")

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6331 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yes. Goes with damp handshake, weak coffee in earthenware mug,wooden cross on leather thong round neck, over-persistent grin. Yuk. (And probably 'the folk in our church family...')

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6458 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

No - "the folks", if you please. [Devil]
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:

Yes. Goes with damp handshake, weak coffee in earthenware mug,wooden cross on leather thong round neck, over-persistent grin. Yuk. (And probably 'the folk in our church family...')
Actually, when is the word "folk" an improvement to anything? Folk religion means superstition, folk music means twee jigs.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18642 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
No - "the folks", if you please. [Devil]

Good point. Or even 'bunch of folk' [Projectile]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6458 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
folk music means twee jigs.

No it fucking doesn't. Fairport, Steeleye, Bob Dylan, Al Stewart "twee jigs"? Wash your mouth out.

[ 18. October 2017, 07:14: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17614 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

Seems I have the unpopular opinion that working songs and folk music are gritty and a true expression of British identity.

--------------------
arse

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You've not been to any good folk gigs recently then. Oysterband, authors of It's My Country Too play the folk circuit, as does Grace Petrie, and nothing she performs is a twee jig. Jake Bugg took his new album to Cambridge, the Levellers played Folk by the Oak. Folk has spawned Lau, False Lights and a whole lot more that are definitely not twee (folk songs with electric guitars and reverb). It's where protest songs are sung and don't stand out.

Crossposted with the world

[ 18. October 2017, 07:24: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13545 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
folk music means twee jigs.

No it fucking doesn't. Fairport, Steeleye, Bob Dylan, Al Stewart "twee jigs"? Wash your mouth out.
all of those, plus if you want the ones working now (I love Fairport but borderline hate current Fairport) then add in Bellowhead, Show of Hands, Balshazzar's Feast, Seth Lakeman, the Young'uns, the Unthanks, Leveret... I could go on.

Twee jigs, not likely.

Unpopular opinion today:

English folk culture is as extant and valid as Scottish/Irish/Welsh, and deserving of greater appreciation by the English (as a start).

--------------------

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

Dave Swarbrick subverts twee jigs - worth watching to the end if only for the increasing disbelief of the rest of Fairport as they valiantly struggle to keep up with him.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... Folk religion means superstition, folk music means twee jigs.

"All music is folk music. Has a horse ever written a song?"

I think that is from Louis Armstrong.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have we ever had a dogpile in Heaven before?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17614 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:

You've omitted the one-arm hug.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The answer to which, of course, is 'Nay'.....

I'll get me coat.

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 9168 | From: Passing The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016