homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Confess Your Unpopular Opinion (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Confess Your Unpopular Opinion
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mistakenly believing and saying that a hostile power has weapons of mass destruction does not automatically make you a liar. Nor did Tony Blair single-handedly start the Iraq War. Nor is he the AntiChrist.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 442 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by Melisande:
Benedict Cumberbatch is weird-looking.

His face is perfect for radio.
so are his abilities as a pilot....
Oh, I miss Cabin Pressure so much. Bleak Expectations was great too.

M le Cucumberpatch was pretty good as Hamlet, I thought, though I'm no theatre expert, and am hardly the least biased person to give an opinion. [Biased] Andrew Scott, though, was amazing. Properly goosebump inducing.

I see my unpopular opinion on the not-very-funniness of the work of Douglas Adams has been taken already.

Posts: 774 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
Talking of radio shows, 'Just a Minute' always makes me feel nervous. Maybe other people love it.

Makes me nervous, too. I find I can't settle to listen to it because I'm waiting for that bloody buzzer to interrupt. And sometimes I want to hear what the person is saying despite the deviation, repetition and whatever the other thing is. Oh yeah.... er..... hesitation. <buzzz>

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 9953 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A bit late, but: Come back, Nick Clegg, all is forgiven.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 442 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eirenist:

Agreed. The LibDems clearly mitigated the worst Tory excesses then got the blame for broken promises they could hardly have enforced. Things could have been a lot worse.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24001 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eirenist:

Agree. With hindsight, he was in a no-win situation, because the Tories were - and still are - manipulative, lying scum. And they had a patsy to blame ofr everything.

His only major failing was that he went with the Tories not Labour. If he had gone with Labour, we would be in a very different situation now, I think.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18642 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am as fond of conspiracy theories as anyone else (*popcorn*smoking gun* aliens*) but really don't care who killed JFK.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 491 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think Amy Winehouse's cover of "Valerie" was the best song on Mark Ronson's album "Version"

[ 27. October 2017, 09:00: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9808 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
I don't think Amy Winehouse's cover of "Valerie" was the best song on Mark Ronson's album "Version"

...and the Zutons' version is much better.

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1056 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stejjie:
quote:

Her cover of "Valerie" was terrible, as was most of her output, to be frank. That's my UO for the day.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17614 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unpopular opinion of the day:

*even* when you don't think they're going to win the seat, it's a good idea to vet *even* the paperiest of paper candidates properly.

Just in case they do win.

[ 27. October 2017, 11:11: Message edited by: betjemaniac ]

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1398 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No unpopular with me, Bejtemaniac.

But a friend trying to do just that before casting their vote for Synod was greeted with umbrage for trying to ascertain candidates' views on various issues. The general reaction was [Eek!]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4680 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MaryLouise--

quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
I am as fond of conspiracy theories as anyone else (*popcorn*smoking gun* aliens*) but really don't care who killed JFK.

There's a theory about popcorn??

I suspect it's mostly Americans who care about JFK's death. Still a problematic wound for the culture and many people. Irish (Kennedy roots) and the English (connection through Lord Mountbatten, IIRC) might care, too.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17973 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

*even* when you don't think they're going to win the seat, it's a good idea to vet *even* the paperiest of paper candidates properly.

Old time (well, 1970s) trade union leader Jack Jones was firmly of the opinion that you shouldn't hold a vote if you don't know what the result is going to be.

I think that is what the Tories meant when they said the Unions had too much power.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Old time (well, 1970s) trade union leader Jack Jones was firmly of the opinion that you shouldn't hold a vote if you don't know what the result is going to be.

I think that is what the Tories meant when they said the Unions had too much power.

I'll raise you another unpopular opinion (well 2 really);

Jack Jones was a brave man. Also an idiot.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1398 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
... His only major failing was that he went with the Tories not Labour. If he had gone with Labour, we would be in a very different situation now, I think.

That's a myth that was never going to happen,

1. The maths didn't work, and

2. Gordon Brown would never have done a deal. It would have been beyond the scope of his personality. And if the deal had been 'we'll form a coalition with you, but only on condition you change your leader', that wasn't going to happen either.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7321 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Second post
quote:
I ... really don't care who killed JFK.

I think Oswald did it, but I don't really care either. And I'm not convinced it's either interesting or matters.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7321 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Second post
quote:

I think Oswald did it, but I don't really care either. And I'm not convinced it's either interesting or matters.
All that is remotely interesting is whether Oswald was acting on his own initiative or for another party.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Second post
quote:

All that is remotely interesting is whether Oswald was acting on his own initiative or for another party.
JFK was a hardly a paragon of virtue. Cant see what everyone saw in him unless it was the Irish American chip on his shoulder.
Posts: 3748 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
JFK was a hardly a paragon of virtue. Cant see what everyone saw in him unless it was the Irish American chip on his shoulder.

[Roll Eyes]
He was charismatic, considered good looking and strong public speaker. I mean, what is there to understand about his popularity?

Personal character is rarely what gains people awe.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 16935 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see no reason to ever drink coffee, smells good, tastes bad.

I do not like most music, hardly ever listen to it. Have no idea what is popular, and do not care.

Found Star Wars movies a total bore.

I do not like children in general, but do like particular children one or two at a time very much.

Posts: 2606 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am conservative when it comes to (viable-onwards) abortion and all euthanasia. And the resurrection.

Bloody hell ... I'll be Thwump supporter soon. [Eek!]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18768 | From: scarily close to 40° | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Woody Allen

Rob Bell

Posts: 3748 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today's UO - when it comes to the positivity or otherwise of the impact of religions on the world, Dawkins et al. have a good point.

[ 28. October 2017, 04:47: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:

Hear².

--------------------
“Religion doesn't fuck up people, people fuck up religion.”—lilBuddha

Posts: 63112 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Today's UO - when it comes to the positivity or otherwise of the impact of religions on the world, Dawkins et al. have a good point.

I have moments of singing John Lennon's "Imagine".

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"

Posts: 17973 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:

[Roll Eyes]
He was charismatic, considered good looking and strong public speaker. I mean, what is there to understand about his popularity?

Personal character is rarely what gains people awe.

I don't want to derail this into a JFK thread. But a couple of things:

--Yes, JFK had serious flaws.

--He was also a WWII naval hero. When his ship, PT 109, sank, he saved many lives. There is some controversy about exact details, but it was publicly believed at the time. Do a search on "JFK PT 109".

--He had severe back problems (possibly from the PT 109 incident), and IIRC Addison's disease..

--There was also the "Camelot" mythology and magic that built around JFK, Jackie, and the kids. AIUI, it had been some time since young kids lived at the White House. And Jackie was an icon of grace and style. Women followed her fashion lead.

--He was our first/only Catholic president. This was before Vatican II, and very, very controversial. Not to mention the way many people felt about the Irish.

--And there was little John-John, in a heavy coat, saluting his dead father.

Just trying to show that there were many factors.
[Angel]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:

Hear².
Me 3, except for coffee ice cream in Mud Pie.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are clearly not drinking the right coffee.

UO - humanity sucks. Some people are lovely, but it seems the default setting is a shit.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18642 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
I like Les Misérables but agree that the 100 page digression on the subject of the Paris sewers is not Hugo’s finest hour.

Whereas I think that that and the other chapter on 'merde' should have been in the musical.
(My if I ever had the energy to do it, is to produce a more keeping to the book version as a present for a friend).

As an opinion, that book and Vanity fair I think have the best descriptions of the battle of Waterloo.

[ 28. October 2017, 18:20: Message edited by: Jay-Emm ]

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Québec is a bilingual province and so is Ontario.

I am going to run away now.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention, Edmonton 2016: More Trots than the Calgary Stampede!

Posts: 7638 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Well said.

--------------------
Fearfully and wonderfully mad
Love the dinner, hate the din.
ن
blog

Posts: 8762 | From: Somewhere else | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
quote:

Well said.
The Zutons is better, but it is still a pretty poor song. I don't know why it gets so much play.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, I love it. But then I'm ginger.

My UO, prompted by GK's post, is that I really, really really don't like the song Imagine. In fact, I don't much care for either the music (solo), or the person of John Lennon. I also can't stand the song Sexual Healing. I have been known to vault furniture in an effort to get to the radio off switch if it's on.

Posts: 774 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I agree Jemima. Imagine is an awful, pretentious dirge, I don't like John Lennon one bit, and that's nothing to do with Yoko.
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although I've lived in Cardiff for most of my life, I have not the slightest interest in rugby, and think that the Welsh language is vastly over-promoted (especially in this area) at the expense of common sense.

I'm probably going to get called to Hell over the second statement. [Devil]

Posts: 654 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
I agree Jemima. Imagine is an awful, pretentious dirge, I don't like John Lennon one bit, and that's nothing to do with Yoko.

It annoys religious fundamentalists, which is a massive plus point.

UO of the day - great as he was with Art Garfunkel, Paul Simon's solo work sucked, yes, even Graceland.

[ 29. October 2017, 06:35: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Aravis--

[Biased] There's an old joke that Welsh and Hawai'ian were once one language. Then they split up. Welsh got the consonants, and Hawai'ian got the vowels.

Perhaps you could put them back together?
[Biased]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

--Agree that S & G together were vastly better than S separately. He needs G's wonderful voice to balance his. Not sure I'd go as far as saying that S's solo music sucked.

--Re "Imagine": I only use it when some stupid thing involving religion has happened, and I just want to chuck the whole thing.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Aravis--

[Biased] There's an old joke that Welsh and Hawai'ian were once one language. Then they split up. Welsh got the consonants, and Hawai'ian got the vowels.

[Biased]

Welsh has seven vowel symbols, more than Hawai'ian, and a rich array of diphthongs. Some words e.g. Wy, Wyau (egg, eggs) - are made up entirely of vowels. This tired old joke is crap because it's not based even on an exaggeration. Welsh is in fact a very vowelly language, and tends towards softer consonants, partially because of the mutation system which frequently changes c to g, t to d, gw to w. Dd and f are pronounced so softly they are frequently dropped altogether. The ignorance gets trying after a while.

[ 29. October 2017, 08:01: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have the unpopular opinion that there isn't enough Welsh in Cardiff and that the day that one walks into a shop and is greeted with a cheery "Bore da" would be a major accomplishment.

[ 29. October 2017, 08:15: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife - she and I having only recently moved here - would be of the same opinion.
Posts: 9415 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Welsh has seven vowel symbols, more than Hawai'ian, and a rich array of diphthongs. Some words e.g. Wy, Wyau (egg, eggs) - are made up entirely of vowels. This tired old joke is crap because it's not based even on an exaggeration. Welsh is in fact a very vowelly language, and tends towards softer consonants, partially because of the mutation system which frequently changes c to g, t to d, gw to w. Dd and f are pronounced so softly they are frequently dropped altogether. The ignorance gets trying after a while.

My observation is that the thing with Welsh (and presumably also Cornish which is similar I think) is that it sounds nothing like English. If an English-speaker hears someone speaking Welsh they don't recognise more than the very odd word. Which I think makes English-speaking people confused, the poor darlings - they're used to hearing Europeans speaking languages that sound vaguely familiar.

But then I don't really understand the hatred of the Welsh language. There are various small places in Europe that have languages that nobody else understands, some where another is commonly spoken.

Meh. Deal with it.

--------------------
arse

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
--Agree that S & G together were vastly better than S separately. He needs G's wonderful voice to balance his. Not sure I'd go as far as saying that S's solo music sucked.

--Re "Imagine": I only use it when some stupid thing involving religion has happened, and I just want to chuck the whole thing.

In both cases, the groups together were much better than the individual parts.

Although I still think S&G as a duo were better than the Beatles. And both individuals did manage some moderately decent pieces afterwards, although nothing really special.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The best album by Simon or Garfunkel after the split was Angel Clare.

--------------------
Fearfully and wonderfully mad
Love the dinner, hate the din.
ن
blog

Posts: 8762 | From: Somewhere else | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:

My observation is that the thing with Welsh (and presumably also Cornish which is similar I think) is that it sounds nothing like English. If an English-speaker hears someone speaking Welsh they don't recognise more than the very odd word. Which I think makes English-speaking people confused, the poor darlings - they're used to hearing Europeans speaking languages that sound vaguely familiar.

But then I don't really understand the hatred of the Welsh language. There are various small places in Europe that have languages that nobody else understands, some where another is commonly spoken.

Meh. Deal with it.

I also think they hear the Rh, Ll and Ch,because they don't occur in English, but they're hardly the whole language

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:

In both cases, the groups together were much better than the individual parts.

Although I still think S&G as a duo were better than the Beatles. And both individuals did manage some moderately decent pieces afterwards, although nothing really special.

Hmm, I disagree. Paul Simon's Graceland was seminal in getting African music out from the 'world music' bin and into wider hearing. Without 'You Can Call Me Al' there would have been no Lion King.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5666 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Hmm, I disagree. Paul Simon's Graceland was seminal in getting African music out from the 'world music' bin and into wider hearing. Without 'You Can Call Me Al' there would have been no Lion King.

And that would be a bad thing?

I detest Disney cartoons

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2308 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kitten:
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:

And that would be a bad thing?

I detest Disney cartoons

Oh, it was a loathsome movie. I'm thinking purely of the music. Lion King, you must admit, was popular -- and now every ear under the age of 15 is attuned to African music rhythms. You can hear its influence in musical theater and pop. And it was Simon who opened that door.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5666 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
I have the unpopular opinion that there isn't enough Welsh in Cardiff and that the day that one walks into a shop and is greeted with a cheery "Bore da" would be a major accomplishment.

I'm delighted to find myself in agreement with you on this.
(IME the main places you'll hear Welsh in Cardiff, outside places like Chapter Arts Centre,are John Lewis and Ikea, which presumably people travel to because they're the only ones in Wales- but from customers rather than staff.)

[ 29. October 2017, 20:30: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6458 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016