homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » The movies you keep in the fridge: a Halloween thread

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The movies you keep in the fridge: a Halloween thread
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There’s the great scene in “Friends” where Joey keeps the novel “The Shining” in the fridge, because the book’s so scary, but somehow less scary when it’s safely in the fridge. But this isn’t about books, it’s about movies. Which movies are so scary, you keep them in the fridge*? Which will you not watch when you’re home alone?

Mine is The Innocents (1961, dir. Jack Clayton). It’s an adaptation of Henry James’s “The Turn of the Screw”, a psychologcal horror story involving children, a governess, an old country house, and.... are they ghosts, or symptoms of a psychotic breakdown? From the eerie title song onwards, it’s terrifying, but possible the most terrifying thing is the performance by Martin Stephens, playing the boy Miles.

The dvd is sitting in my table now. Daring me....

*(It’s probably not a good idea actually to keep a dvd in the fridge)

[ 25. October 2017, 09:06: Message edited by: Adeodatus ]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9768 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For reasons not particularly Halloween-related, I would nominate Arachnophobia. It is, by far, the scariest film ever made. It kept me away for several nights after I first watched it.

In terms of more authentic horror films, there has been a new generation within the last few years that are really rather good. Sinister and The Babadook are examples, though the scariest of the lot (at least on first viewing) is Insidious.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3697 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the most disturbing movie I can remember watching is The Green Mile. I had nightmares and 'the creeps' from that movie. People can be mean and horrible, but that showed a much more evil side to some folks.

*shudder*

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17826 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
For reasons not particularly Halloween-related, I would nominate Arachnophobia. It is, by far, the scariest film ever made. It kept me away for several nights after I first watched it.

In terms of more authentic horror films, there has been a new generation within the last few years that are really rather good. Sinister and The Babadook are examples, though the scariest of the lot (at least on first viewing) is Insidious.

I won’t watch “Arachnophobia”, for reasons I suspect are related to your own. “Sinister” is an excellent movie, and nearly makes it to my keep-it-in-the-fridge list. “Insidious” is also good, but I think the weird dream-like sequence towards the end was a bit odd. I haven’t seen “The Babadook” yet.

Jedjudy, I haven’t seen “The Green Mile” either, but I’ve heard it’s a very good movie.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9768 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first movie I can remember watching that kept me up at night was Chris Columbus' "Young Sherlock Holmes." For those that haven't seen it, teenage Sherlock and John Watson meet at boarding school, and solve a caper that is two-thirds "The Sign of the Four" and one third "Temple of Doom." Complete with shadowy villains in robes shooting people with blow darts that will cause hallucinations so terrifying that the victim will kill himself, and young girls being boiled to death in a satanic ritual. Great kid's movie, I tell you. My brother had fun reminding me of scary moments for years afterwords.

A few years ago, I tried watching it again, sure that it wouldn't be nearly as scary. Alone in the dark, I started sensing blow-dart armed marauders creeping outside in the dark. I don't think I made it through.

(Nope, I do not do scary movies.)

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3132 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Thing. The original not the remake. Even though the remake was more graphic I think my imagination make the original much more scary. I closed my eyes a lot, but then I was only 12.
Posts: 2604 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't understand the notion of keeping a copy of a movie in a refrigerator.

One of the scariest movies of my acquaintance is "Duel", the first feature-length film made by Steven Spielberg. It is scary because so many people can imagine themselves in that situation.

Posts: 1497 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
..."Young Sherlock Holmes." ... Complete with shadowy villains in robes shooting people with blow darts that will cause hallucinations so terrifying that the victim will kill himself, and young girls being boiled to death in a satanic ritual. Great kid's movie, I tell you. My brother had fun reminding me of scary moments for years afterwords.

A few years ago, I tried watching it again, sure that it wouldn't be nearly as scary. Alone in the dark, I started sensing blow-dart armed marauders creeping outside in the dark. I don't think I made it through.

(Nope, I do not do scary movies.)

Seconded, I remember seeing it at the cinema as a child and loving it, then rewatching it a coupe of years ago and that hallucination scene still stand up.

My classic answer is The Haunting for the sound effects and The Fog for relentless tension (both original, not remakes). It Follows is an excellent newer film with some scenes that stayed with me for days afterward. I'm saving the Babaook for a later date.

I'm rarely scared by films, but a good film makes me caught up in the characters and their outcomes even with repeated viewing.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1829 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alien.

It is not seeing a full xenomorph until late in the film. It is the tension rather than the action that makes this film so good. Plus Jones was brilliant too.

--------------------
Fearfully and wonderfully mad
Love the dinner, hate the din.
ن
blog

Posts: 8762 | From: Somewhere else | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016