homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Undead Hobbies and Projects (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Undead Hobbies and Projects
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At one point in my life I was an avid needleworker. I loved embroidery, taught myself to knit and crochet, always had nultiple projects going.

Now my embroidery stash sits unused in our guest bedroom closet -- this was its second move, and if all goes well it will be moved again this spring. Ditto my collection of knitting and crochet supplies.

Why did I stop doing needlecrafts? I don't know; I just woke up one day without a desire to work on them, and one day turned into many. But...I just can't quit them. I can't give my things away. Because someday I might start up all over again.i' ve done that before.

What hobbies or home projects are collecting dust in a closet or attic? Why did you stop working on them? Do you think you will ever take them up/ on again? If you have rediscovered an old pastime or project and gotten it going again, are you approaching it any differently?

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knitted energetically in the 1970s. Then I quit cold for at least fifteen years, until a neighbor handed over to me a project that she had gotten into a tangle. Not only did I finish it for her, I took up knitting again and have been knitting like the wind for the past ten years or so. But I feel it, that eventually it'll stop. Go into remission for a while. Of course in the interval I accumulated enough yarn to fill my own coffin, should I die before I knit it all up.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I spent two or three years home brewing beer before my daughter came along. Actually had two gallons in fermentation when she came home. Two months later, it still wasn’t bottled, and I had to dump it, as it had turned sour.

Three years on, I still wonder if I will ever have a few hours to myself to stand over vats of boiling wort. It was a great education, and I know a lot more about beer and why I like certain beers today. But it might be something that I never get back into.

My other hobby, working in the garden, has also been getting less time over the last few years, but at least the daughter is getting closer to being able to help with that one (at least in a way that does more good than harm).

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Embroidery for me too--the traditional old-style stuff, not the blocky contemporary images. I made the designs and then did 'em. But it's been 16 years (last was during pregnancy).

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Teaching myself to play a harmonica.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to play a lot of saxophone. I gave up when quiet moments at home meant a sleeping baby which I really didn't want to wake up. Now my eldest daughter (12) is having a go at it - and I don't want to compete, or to discourage her.

Legacy skills are a bit of a bugger - they're so un-fungible. I wish I could press a button and swap sax- for organ- skills, which would be very handy at church.

OTOH, I increasingly enjoy shit pastimes I'd run a mile from as a vain young person. Singing old hymns to the organ, getting covered in shit in the shed. I might even be persuaded to think about bird watching.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are a couple of things that I used to do, on a fairly competitive level, in my childhood and student days. Then I did a PhD, and it was clear that I had time for any two of work, wife, and time-consuming hobbies. Then we had children, and laugh at the idea that we used to think that we were busy.

Will I get back in to it? I haven't really got to the stage where I admit to myself that these are things I don't do any more, although it's been a couple of decades. So I still think that when the kids are more self-sufficient, I might take something up again. But perhaps that's wishful thinking.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love embroidery-- have had a few breaks but then come roaring back. Birth of infant granddaughter hit me into overdrive embroidering onesies and bibs. I work out the designs myself, sometimes google a line drawing of what I'm going for to get an idea. Now my daughter keeps feeding me on-demand requests for custom designs.

Sailing is something I used to do regularly and love, love, loved-- but haven't done since my sons were born 17 years ago. At that time it was possible to rent a sailboat for the day-- thus avoiding all the costly parts (slip rental & upkeep) and even the drudge part (cleaning, raising and lowering sails) and just hop on and enjoy. But I'm not so sure it's as easy to rent a sailboat these days-- haven't seen as many outfits offering that (although they have no trouble renting you a loud, fast motorboat)

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a Christmas Tree angel that I started to embroidery with hundreds of french knots along with a pillow cover. I let them sit half finished for about 15 years. I retired finished them both and then gave all my supplies away to a thrift shop. It helps that I am getting older and do not want my children to deal with a bunch of stuff when I kick off.

Meanwhile my dulcimer sits against the well in its case. I have not tried playing it for several years. Now I am inspired to pick it up again. Time to practice some Christmas music.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that hymns in church done on a saxophone (or even a dulcimer) would be great!

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to enjoy quilting! Before Granddaughter-Unit was born, I started a crib quilt for her that I had designed. The piecework was done, and the quilting started, then something happened. I don't remember what. The quilt is still in the sewing stash, and I'll finish it someday. But GD-U is going to be twelve in January! [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Making Anglican rosaries. If I take it up again some day, I'll probably have to relearn pearl knotting.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a set of oil paints (Windsor Newton!!) that my nephew got me for Christmas several years ago which I have never broken out. The thing is that I haven't used oils for forty years. I switched to acrylics in college and never looked back. I keep thinking I'll get a small canvas and give them a shot. But then I get scared I'll be freaked by the consistency and slow drying. Snap out of it, Lyda! It's only paint. [Paranoid]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to quilt by hand. But my vision impairment no longer allows me to do this. I finally and sadly donated my collection of already-cut quilt shapes to a craft store. The store has an interesting process. Any crafter can pay what s/he can afford for their purchase from among the donated supplies.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What used to be called ecclaesiastical needlework: when I was very ill as a child I learned how to do all the old-fashioned stuff - building up things like bunches of grapes, etc, and generally forming 3D objects on vestments and all the other traditional skills. I haven't done any since the late-lamented died but I really ought to get the stuff out and start again. Apart from anything else I've got a stole half-done and a friend is trying to persuade me to do a cope shield and orphreys for them. Maybe after Christmas I'll get around to it.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks like several of us could use one of these!
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back when I was a young opera singer and doing a lot of understudying, I would sit in rehearsals observing and doing bargello. I made covers for several piano-bench cushions, pillows, and a large wall hanging.

When I stopped doing all the understudying, I stopped the bargello cold. Sometimes I think I should take it up again, but my daughters probably don't (eventually) need to deal with it. Besides, I have neuropathy. Knitting seems more useful, with various charities calling for scarves and shawls and whatnot, but I've never learned how.

(Interesting: I couldn't use the Wikipedia link I wanted to illustrate, apparently because there are parentheses in the subject line. Odd.)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
(Interesting: I couldn't use the Wikipedia link I wanted to illustrate, apparently because there are parentheses in the subject line. Odd.)

You can go to tiny url and they will make an acceptable url for you.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Moo. I hadn't thought of that.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I doubt if you live near me but if you want me to teach you to knit I could do it.\

I rootled around in the endless bags in this office, and found the pieces of a cardigan. I have the two fronts and almost a complete back section. Why did I set it aside, 5 years ago? I can no longer remember. Nor can I find the original pattern. I was able to figure out the lace pattern and knit up the final 2 inches of the back panel, and am now sewing the bits together. (Did I make it for me? I need to try it on to see who it fits.) Then I have to come to some decision about the sleeves. Fortunately there is lots of yarn.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I live in a different time zone, Brenda, but otherwise I would take you up on your kind offer.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only person misreading this thread title as "Undead Hobbits and..."?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The zombie craze has taken over almost everything, even Austen. Why not Tolkien?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
It looks like several of us could use one of these!

I need one of those for far more pressing jobs than handicrafts and hobbies. Do they make one specifically for housework? [Hot and Hormonal]

I don't know if it counts as a "craft", but when our belongings (including our TV and computer and most of our books) were in storage, I bought a couple of those grown-up colouring books that were all the rage a year or so ago. I did quite a few of them (mostly very badly) and found it quite therapeutic, but since we've moved into the château, I seem to have lost interest.

The books are sitting on a shelf looking reproachful every time I pass by, even though I've got the excuse that I have no idea what happened to the colouring pencils after we moved. [Biased]

I suppose I might take it up again if the pencils turn up ...

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For me it was counted cross-stitch. I took it up in my early 20s, did quite a lot of pieces, one of which I have proudly framed and hung in my dining room as it was pretty complicated and took a long time, so I'm proud of it. The last thing I did was a set of cross-stitched Christmas stockings -- I did a pair for both of us when my husband and I got married, then one for my son the Christmas after he was born, one two Christmases later for my daughter ... and then I never picked up a cross-stitch needle again. My main excuse at the time was that a craft that involved holding a needle, even a relatively blunt one, didn't pair well with having toddlers crawling all over me. But as the years have gone by and the kids are mostly grown up and don't crawl over me anymore, I haven't had the urge to take it up again. I feel it might just be a case of, "I did that; I enjoyed it; now I've done enough of it."

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Patchwork, which I did in my teens but dropped when I went to uni and haven't really done since (apart from contributing to Miss Molly's quilt).

I cross stitch when there's an occasion coming up. Did one of two men in kilts recently for the first same sex wedding I've ever been to (which you may deduce was in Scotland).

Currently knitting a blanket for our kitty with some leftover wool.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I did indeed finish the lace cardigan, and gave it to a dear lady in my Bible study. It fits her perfectly and she looks like a darling in it; clearly the right recipient.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another one who has abandoned cross stitch. I couldn't work out why it was so difficult until I visited an optometrist. Apparently an eye condition I've had from birth gets worse with aging. On Friday I'm picking up new glasses with correcting lenses which I hope will make it easier to get back into. [Yipee] There's a cute wee design of a kereru (New Zealand bush pigeon) I've seen that will fit nicely into a card.

I don't think I will ever work a large design again as they are too time consuming, but having said that I am tempted to work a design of Nefertiti to pair with the King Tut design I gave to my brother on his 25th birthday (it was originally planned for his 20th). He will be 60 in 2019 ( [Eek!] my younger brother to whom I read Green Eggs and Ham!!!) but it will have to be a small one otherwise postage to Chicago will be ruinous.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I no longer do crosstitch either. For a while, I could do it if I took my work outside, but no longer. I enjoyed it, but it has only ever been a minor adjunct to knitting, so I now stick to that. I did have a great aunt who did cross stitch all her life. Beautiful work, complicated tapestries of street scenes in old districts in Sydney, terrace houses in tree lined streets etc. The back of the work was as meticulous as the front.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have finished my stepdaughter’s jumper in time for Christmas! It now has two sleeves and everything. [Biased]

We’ll pass over the fact that she was supposed to be getting it for Christmas last year.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just rediscovered the cross-stitch sampler I started for youngest when he was born - he's 19! Hope to finish in time for great-nephew's baptism (if they decide to dunk him)
Also have a heap of half-finished rosaries staring reproachfully at me ( did you know rosaries have eyes). I have a good reason for abandoning these, though - they're completely irresistible to cats and it hurts like hades when they bounce you to attack the rattail. Though with a material name like that, what else would they do?

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
I have finished my stepdaughter’s jumper in time for Christmas! It now has two sleeves and everything. [Biased]

We’ll pass over the fact that she was supposed to be getting it for Christmas last year.

As long as it still fits her you're home free.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still have two unfinished patchwork cushions I started 35 years ago. They have pieces of my very first Interview Dress in them (a Laura Ashley, naturally)

🤣🤣

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I think that hymns in church done on a saxophone (or even a dulcimer) would be great!

We have a group - sax, piano, flute and clarinet [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:

We have a group - sax, piano, flute and clarinet [Smile]
You need bass and drums and you've got a jazz combo.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My undead hobby is learning Welsh; been years but as I have no ear for languages (I find it impossible to get to being able to think in the language; "gwrando" only means "listen" once the word "listen" has appeared in my head, so I'm translating all the time) I'm still pretty rubbish; my unfinished project is my pen and paper RPG which I completed v.1 of years ago, was never happy with and which I've been rewriting for the last three years.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Like you, Karl, I’m trying to learn a language - German. It’s going very slowly and very badly, my memory is shocking.

I’ve found an italki tutor so my New Year revolution is to have weekly lessons with her online and work with Babel in between lessons.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Shipmate
# 76

Believe it or not, there is a Welsh language group in Derbyshire. We meet in Derby and also monthly in a pub in Belper i gael sgwrs a pheint (for chat and a pint)

[ 22. December 2017, 16:41: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
YaY - have resurrected my needlework. Miraculous new lenses to my glasses = less unpicking [Axe murder] [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
YaY - have resurrected my needlework.

I think they may be my 2018 New Year's Resolution.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I've started small, a fridge magnet that says; -

Eat

Sleep

Read

So good to have my philosophy of life summed up so succinctly [Big Grin]

Huia

--------------------

wild haggis
Shipmate
# 15555

- Posted      Profile for wild haggis         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just done a load of cross stitch Christmas, and other cards and bookmarks to sell at our church Christmas Fayre. Quick and easy, but boring after a while.

I think I am ADHD - can't sit still but my hubby says it keeps me out of mischief.

My great love is ecclesiastical gold work embroidery (not the stitching on lumps of gold kid but proper stump work with different kinds gold threads and a variety of techniques). I did several courses at the Royal School of Needlework at Hampden Court Palace a number of years go. But now too far from Wales and too expensive for a retiree.

Can't do knitting any more because of my arthritis. Used to do Shetland designs on a circular kneedle with 5 ply wool and 4 -5 colours. Loved doing Aran sweaters and knitted lace work too. Boo-hoo.

Did art at school but now only do sketching on holiday now!

Now colouring in - that's my latest fad, complete with correct shading and highlighting, great fun!!! Especially the Christmas stuff. The more complex the better.

--------------------
wild haggis

Posts: 166 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
wild haggis
Shipmate
# 15555

- Posted      Profile for wild haggis         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good to hear about the Welsh langauge group in Chesterfield.

I'm learning at a class here in Cardiff and loving it.

Just subscribed to "Lingo newydd" mag. Good practice.

Nadolig Llawen.

--------------------
wild haggis

Posts: 166 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Like you, Karl, I’m trying to learn a language - German. It’s going very slowly and very badly, my memory is shocking.

I’ve found an italki tutor so my New Year revolution is to have weekly lessons with her online and work with Babel in between lessons.

How great1 i am trying to learn French. I am using Duolingo, an online system.

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm hauling a lot of cross stitch pictures out from under my bed, because I might be able to sell some of them soon - the owner of a shop locally which is divided into units wants to start a "Made Locally" section for crafts, jams and marmalades, and so on.
I'm also going to be making knitted squares into bunnies, and making book art hedgehogs.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

A good dozen years ago I bought a coat at a yard sale. It is long and black and buttonless, of some soft warm thick fabric. The lining was torn. I wore it for all these years, simply tucking the torn lining back up into the sleeve every time I wore it. I always meant to replace the lining. Well now I have begun!
Bought three yards of lining fabric in a jazzy pattern (twisting gold ropes on a cream background, like Hermes scarves), turned the coat inside out, and cut out the old lining. Unfortunately it is interlined with something warm, which I do want to preserve. I used the old lining pieces as the pattern for the new lining, and am now wrestling with inserting the interlining into it before reuniting it with the coat.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a 10 year old padded coat I bought in Tokyo that is light and super warm - I wear it from the moment I leap out of bed on cold mornings until I fold myself back in to the warmth of the electric blanket at night. But this means I have had to reverse it, then recover it, and now it badly needs recovering again. I refuse to recover it in anything but the muted silk colours I loved when I first saw it, so finding the right material is always an issue. Meanwhile it hangs sadly awaiting ministry.

Getting older has meant doing less sewing - it is simply not as enjoyable when you are struggling with shifting eyesight - although the satisfaction upon completion of a project is probably greater!

The dead-est craft thing I own is a paper making kit. Tried it once, and while an interesting process, I cannot find any reason to do it again. It awaits a local need, and when I find it, then I shall happily hand the very heavy box over.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Yes, it takes me a significant effort now to thread a needle. I loathe it. Wish I had my old eyesight back. However, I have sewn the new lining and am now inserting it into the coat. It looks very fine. I am a fan of snazzy coat linings; I have a Russian Navy surplus greatcoat, with that big skirt that you see in May Day photographs. I lined it with turquoise satin.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have managed to dressmake - a pair of pyjama bottoms - first time I've had the sewing machine out for ages, and not for mending. The thing that took the longest was making the pattern pieces (from a grid pattern in a book).

<tangent> I couldn't find a crafting thread - and wasn't sure if I should start a new one. The other thing I taught myself in the last week was making knotted rosaries, although I used a mixture of beads and knots.</tangent>

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I've started small, a fridge magnet that says; -

Eat

Sleep

Read

So good to have my philosophy of life summed up so succinctly [Big Grin]

Huia

So far this year, I've been sleeping eight hours every night plus a one to two hour nap every afternoon. I've finished reading all 767 large print pages of All the Light We Cannot See, plus a small Muriel Sparks. I would make the same fridge magnet, but I simply don't have the time.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016