homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Undead Hobbies and Projects

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Undead Hobbies and Projects
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At one point in my life I was an avid needleworker. I loved embroidery, taught myself to knit and crochet, always had nultiple projects going.

Now my embroidery stash sits unused in our guest bedroom closet -- this was its second move, and if all goes well it will be moved again this spring. Ditto my collection of knitting and crochet supplies.

Why did I stop doing needlecrafts? I don't know; I just woke up one day without a desire to work on them, and one day turned into many. But...I just can't quit them. I can't give my things away. Because someday I might start up all over again.i' ve done that before.

What hobbies or home projects are collecting dust in a closet or attic? Why did you stop working on them? Do you think you will ever take them up/ on again? If you have rediscovered an old pastime or project and gotten it going again, are you approaching it any differently?

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6331 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knitted energetically in the 1970s. Then I quit cold for at least fifteen years, until a neighbor handed over to me a project that she had gotten into a tangle. Not only did I finish it for her, I took up knitting again and have been knitting like the wind for the past ten years or so. But I feel it, that eventually it'll stop. Go into remission for a while. Of course in the interval I accumulated enough yarn to fill my own coffin, should I die before I knit it all up.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5660 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I spent two or three years home brewing beer before my daughter came along. Actually had two gallons in fermentation when she came home. Two months later, it still wasn’t bottled, and I had to dump it, as it had turned sour.

Three years on, I still wonder if I will ever have a few hours to myself to stand over vats of boiling wort. It was a great education, and I know a lot more about beer and why I like certain beers today. But it might be something that I never get back into.

My other hobby, working in the garden, has also been getting less time over the last few years, but at least the daughter is getting closer to being able to help with that one (at least in a way that does more good than harm).

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3132 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Embroidery for me too--the traditional old-style stuff, not the blocky contemporary images. I made the designs and then did 'em. But it's been 16 years (last was during pregnancy).

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19991 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Teaching myself to play a harmonica.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23061 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to play a lot of saxophone. I gave up when quiet moments at home meant a sleeping baby which I really didn't want to wake up. Now my eldest daughter (12) is having a go at it - and I don't want to compete, or to discourage her.

Legacy skills are a bit of a bugger - they're so un-fungible. I wish I could press a button and swap sax- for organ- skills, which would be very handy at church.

OTOH, I increasingly enjoy shit pastimes I'd run a mile from as a vain young person. Singing old hymns to the organ, getting covered in shit in the shed. I might even be persuaded to think about bird watching.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are a couple of things that I used to do, on a fairly competitive level, in my childhood and student days. Then I did a PhD, and it was clear that I had time for any two of work, wife, and time-consuming hobbies. Then we had children, and laugh at the idea that we used to think that we were busy.

Will I get back in to it? I haven't really got to the stage where I admit to myself that these are things I don't do any more, although it's been a couple of decades. So I still think that when the kids are more self-sufficient, I might take something up again. But perhaps that's wishful thinking.

Posts: 4839 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love embroidery-- have had a few breaks but then come roaring back. Birth of infant granddaughter hit me into overdrive embroidering onesies and bibs. I work out the designs myself, sometimes google a line drawing of what I'm going for to get an idea. Now my daughter keeps feeding me on-demand requests for custom designs.

Sailing is something I used to do regularly and love, love, loved-- but haven't done since my sons were born 17 years ago. At that time it was possible to rent a sailboat for the day-- thus avoiding all the costly parts (slip rental & upkeep) and even the drudge part (cleaning, raising and lowering sails) and just hop on and enjoy. But I'm not so sure it's as easy to rent a sailboat these days-- haven't seen as many outfits offering that (although they have no trouble renting you a loud, fast motorboat)

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11086 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a Christmas Tree angel that I started to embroidery with hundreds of french knots along with a pillow cover. I let them sit half finished for about 15 years. I retired finished them both and then gave all my supplies away to a thrift shop. It helps that I am getting older and do not want my children to deal with a bunch of stuff when I kick off.

Meanwhile my dulcimer sits against the well in its case. I have not tried playing it for several years. Now I am inspired to pick it up again. Time to practice some Christmas music.

Posts: 2604 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that hymns in church done on a saxophone (or even a dulcimer) would be great!

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to enjoy quilting! Before Granddaughter-Unit was born, I started a crib quilt for her that I had designed. The piecework was done, and the quilting started, then something happened. I don't remember what. The quilt is still in the sewing stash, and I'll finish it someday. But GD-U is going to be twelve in January! [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17826 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Making Anglican rosaries. If I take it up again some day, I'll probably have to relearn pearl knotting.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7674 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a set of oil paints (Windsor Newton!!) that my nephew got me for Christmas several years ago which I have never broken out. The thing is that I haven't used oils for forty years. I switched to acrylics in college and never looked back. I keep thinking I'll get a small canvas and give them a shot. But then I get scared I'll be freaked by the consistency and slow drying. Snap out of it, Lyda! It's only paint. [Paranoid]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21292 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to quilt by hand. But my vision impairment no longer allows me to do this. I finally and sadly donated my collection of already-cut quilt shapes to a craft store. The store has an interesting process. Any crafter can pay what s/he can afford for their purchase from among the donated supplies.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5845 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What used to be called ecclaesiastical needlework: when I was very ill as a child I learned how to do all the old-fashioned stuff - building up things like bunches of grapes, etc, and generally forming 3D objects on vestments and all the other traditional skills. I haven't done any since the late-lamented died but I really ought to get the stuff out and start again. Apart from anything else I've got a stole half-done and a friend is trying to persuade me to do a cope shield and orphreys for them. Maybe after Christmas I'll get around to it.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4680 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks like several of us could use one of these!
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17826 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back when I was a young opera singer and doing a lot of understudying, I would sit in rehearsals observing and doing bargello. I made covers for several piano-bench cushions, pillows, and a large wall hanging.

When I stopped doing all the understudying, I stopped the bargello cold. Sometimes I think I should take it up again, but my daughters probably don't (eventually) need to deal with it. Besides, I have neuropathy. Knitting seems more useful, with various charities calling for scarves and shawls and whatnot, but I've never learned how.

(Interesting: I couldn't use the Wikipedia link I wanted to illustrate, apparently because there are parentheses in the subject line. Odd.)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 14681 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
(Interesting: I couldn't use the Wikipedia link I wanted to illustrate, apparently because there are parentheses in the subject line. Odd.)

You can go to tiny url and they will make an acceptable url for you.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20198 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Moo. I hadn't thought of that.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I doubt if you live near me but if you want me to teach you to knit I could do it.\

I rootled around in the endless bags in this office, and found the pieces of a cardigan. I have the two fronts and almost a complete back section. Why did I set it aside, 5 years ago? I can no longer remember. Nor can I find the original pattern. I was able to figure out the lace pattern and knit up the final 2 inches of the back panel, and am now sewing the bits together. (Did I make it for me? I need to try it on to see who it fits.) Then I have to come to some decision about the sleeves. Fortunately there is lots of yarn.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I live in a different time zone, Brenda, but otherwise I would take you up on your kind offer.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only person misreading this thread title as "Undead Hobbits and..."?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17177 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The zombie craze has taken over almost everything, even Austen. Why not Tolkien?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21292 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
It looks like several of us could use one of these!

I need one of those for far more pressing jobs than handicrafts and hobbies. Do they make one specifically for housework? [Hot and Hormonal]

I don't know if it counts as a "craft", but when our belongings (including our TV and computer and most of our books) were in storage, I bought a couple of those grown-up colouring books that were all the rage a year or so ago. I did quite a few of them (mostly very badly) and found it quite therapeutic, but since we've moved into the château, I seem to have lost interest.

The books are sitting on a shelf looking reproachful every time I pass by, even though I've got the excuse that I have no idea what happened to the colouring pencils after we moved. [Biased]

I suppose I might take it up again if the pencils turn up ...

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19605 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For me it was counted cross-stitch. I took it up in my early 20s, did quite a lot of pieces, one of which I have proudly framed and hung in my dining room as it was pretty complicated and took a long time, so I'm proud of it. The last thing I did was a set of cross-stitched Christmas stockings -- I did a pair for both of us when my husband and I got married, then one for my son the Christmas after he was born, one two Christmases later for my daughter ... and then I never picked up a cross-stitch needle again. My main excuse at the time was that a craft that involved holding a needle, even a relatively blunt one, didn't pair well with having toddlers crawling all over me. But as the years have gone by and the kids are mostly grown up and don't crawl over me anymore, I haven't had the urge to take it up again. I feel it might just be a case of, "I did that; I enjoyed it; now I've done enough of it."

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7358 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016