homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » November book group: "Worldwalk"

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: November book group: "Worldwalk"
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This month's book is "Worldwalk", by Steven M. Newman. Subtitle: "One man's four-year journey around the world". It's a true story.

I like this book a lot. I hope you will, too.

Tentative start date is Nov. 20th. Please post here to let me know you're participating. (That's just so I can figure out whether we're ready to start on the 20th, or need a little more time. It's ok to join late. [Smile] )

PLEASE do not start discussing the book before I give the signal on the 20th. Don't spoil it for everyone else! Thanks.
[Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17969 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
andras
Shipmate
# 2065

- Posted      Profile for andras   Email andras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll try to get my hands on a SH copy; assuming there's something out there at a reasonable price I'll be In!

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Posts: 475 | From: Tregaron | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in. Kindle Unlimited (I know not everyone uses Amazon) has it for free at the moment.

Looking forward to reading this.

[ 02. November 2017, 12:39: Message edited by: Sarasa ]

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 1920 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Worldwalk costs real money on Kindle - so much so that it almost costs the same as a month of Kindle Unlimited.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13543 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CK--

Maybe check with Sarasa to see if you're looking at different places?

FWIW.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"

Posts: 17969 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not on Kobo, which is my usual way to get e-books, but I'll have a look for it on Kindle.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7358 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Re obtaining the book:

I just happened to surf into Thriftbooks.com. I looked up the book, and there are quite a few paperback and hardback copies, all used and reasonably priced, IMHO.

I don't see any e-books, but I may have missed something.

NOTE: I've never bought from Thriftbooks.

Once in a while, I do run into absurdly highly-priced used books. I'm never sure if they're collectibles, or the lister goofed (typo, different language/numbers), or it's a scam.

Hope everyone can find some kind of copy!

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is readily available on Amazon as a paperback for around £2.80, but all these copies are in the USA and require 2-3 weeks delivery! Copies are available in the UK but start at around £17.50.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3111 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

How's everyone doing? Is the 20th still an ok start date, or do you need longer?

--------------------

andras
Shipmate
# 2065

- Posted      Profile for andras   Email andras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Fraid I've not managed to source a second-hand copy, and as I suspect it's not a book I'll want to keep in the long term you'll have to count me out - sorry!

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Posts: 475 | From: Tregaron | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's full cost on Kindle (£7.48), so I haven't bought it. Kindle Unlimited does have it free, but to get that requires subscribing (@ £7.99 a month), and that costs almost as much as buying the book.

--------------------

Posts: 13543 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Does Kindle Unlimited have a free books for joining bonus? I don't use e-readers. But I know Amazon US keeps offering me a couple of books if I sign up for whatever reader they've got.

Also, has anyone checked a library?

The Good Reads page for Worldwalk has links to stores and libraries. They're just below the initial description. I don't see a way to specify the UK, but the individual stores probably do.

FWIW, YMMV.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

One more thing:

***It looks like it's available online or to download at ReadAnyBook. I'm not sure how the site works, but I think you have to register. I don't see a charge listed. But it might be worth checking out.

FWIW.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

CK--

Sorry. When I was writing, I forgot that you'd already mentioned the free book bonus.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Worldwalk is not in my local county library catalogue. It is available new or secondhand as a paperback or hardback from Amazon or on Kindle, at various prices. I haven't searched the local charity shops to see if it exists in any of those shops because it's unlikely.

Kindle Unlimited is a service for Kindle materials. Subscribing gives access to a range of books for free. I have looked at it in the past as I often spend more than £8 a month on books, but the books I want are not usually on Kindle Unlimited, and I don't want to get locked into a subscription with Amazon, which "rotates a selection of magazines" - this smells like a bait and switch deal to me.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Still the 19th here, but I'm going to start this a little early.

DISCUSSION STARTS HERE.

Likes/dislikes? (People, places, incidents.)

Have you ever wanted to do something like this? Where would you go?

Was Steve too naive? Did that make the journey harder or easier for him?

Could someone do that trip today? (Given geo-politics, terrorism, epidemics, etc.)

Feel free to go beyond these questions. I may add more later.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for suggesting this book Golden Key, it was an interesting read.

I disliked his view of the UK, that peple were expecting things to be done for them. It seemed like a massive over-genralisation to me, which made me wonder about some of the other generalistation in the book. Is Pakistan really so totally different to India for instance? I did like the theme of trust that came out, even if sometimes caution was the better option. I liked finding the opal in the desert, but not the incident that led up to it being lost. I wonder if he could have handled the initial confrontation better.

I don't think he was naive as such, rather than un-prepared at first, not trying out his backpack when he was doing his training walks for instance. I think a sense of trust in the world is something that anyone starting this sort of journey needs.

I was wondering about whether it would be possible today too. If he'd done it a couple of years later he'd have been slap-bang in the middle of the conflict in former Yugoslavia for instance., and he didn't go near Iran/Irag becuase for the tensions there. I think whenever you do this sort of things you are going to come across conflicts, disease and other difficulties, but I don't think that is a reason for not trying.

I must say I didn't enjoy his writing style at first, though I got used to it as the book progressed. I was also wondering about leaving when he knew his father was seriously ill. I'm not sure if I applaud him for following his heart, or think he should have waited a few months before starting.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 1920 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016