homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Anyone else out there been watching Greenleaf?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Anyone else out there been watching Greenleaf?
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Greenleaf is a series that premiered on the Oprah Winfrey Network and that I've been following on Netflix.

On one level, it's just another family-themed soap; but it has the particularity of being based in a black megachurch. At first I thought it was simply going to trash Christianity, but as the series has gone on it's painted a far more nuanced picture and I find the characterisation very well-developed.

Also, confusingly, some of the fictional worship services feature cameos by actual gospel and CCM stars such as Mary Mary, despite the series taking several digs at that world too.

Anyone else been watching?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17179 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
WatchingGodWork
Apprentice
# 18866

- Posted      Profile for WatchingGodWork   Author's homepage   Email WatchingGodWork   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I first caught Greenleaf while holed up in a motel room for a week recuperating from surgery. I binged my way through season 1. I just finished season 2 on Netflix last week while laid up again. I agree, it's essentially a soap opera, and yet I've found it interesting how they have wrestled with some of the church's challenges (I.e., domestic violence, family scandals among leaders, and gay marriage), refusing to things up with pat answers or pretty bows.

--------------------
"I am the cherished object of Divine diligence."

Posts: 7 | From: Cedar Falls IA, USA | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd never heard of it till this moment, and have just added it to my Netflix list based on these two posts.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7358 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016