homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » The Apprentice Thread

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Apprentice Thread
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I searched but failed to locate a thread on this theme. Who do shipmates think should have been fired this week? Or did they agree with Lord Sugar's decision? The "You're fired" audience on BBC2 did not.

And why does Elizabeth attract so much flak? She's a pussycat....

[ 16. November 2017, 12:44: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sajan has been out of his depth for weeks and needed to go.

I like Elizabeth. I don't think she'll win, but she's straightforward and she gets on with the job. I suspect it's partly her lack of any stereotypical feminine style that bothers people.

Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Elizabeth is 6'2" and extremely pro-active. People who will do the work tend to be left to do it. Then of course, the others complain that she took over, leaving them no chance. But she is simply quite open about wanting to do stuff, whereas the others hold back in the pretence of not really wanting jobs and waiting to be asked.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aravis:
Sajan has been out of his depth for weeks and needed to go.

I like Elizabeth. I don't think she'll win, but she's straightforward and she gets on with the job. I suspect it's partly her lack of any stereotypical feminine style that bothers people.

I think it is her rather dodgy social skills, she is a bit like a real life Miranda or a less polished Claire Balding.

[ 17. November 2017, 15:54: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw the thread title and I thought it was a thread for Ship apprentices. Doh! [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
wild haggis
Shipmate
# 15555

- Posted      Profile for wild haggis         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do I watch it? Each week I think, what a load of unintelligent beings, then.............I'm hooked!

I can understand Elizabeth's frustration with some of her housemates. I would like to tell them to grow up and act their age. I suppose business people don't have to be too intelligent, except to add up money. But I do sometimes wonder what they have for brains.

So although I find Elizabeth bossy and school- ma'amish, maybe some of her housemates need to listen to her, accept responsibility and stop behaving like self-obsessed teenagers with less intelligence than Pooh Bear.

Roll on next week! Wonder who will be out next?

--------------------
wild haggis

Posts: 166 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

quote:
Originally posted by wild haggis:
So although I find Elizabeth bossy and school- ma'amish, maybe some of her housemates need to listen to her, accept responsibility and stop behaving like self-obsessed teenagers with less intelligence than Pooh Bear.

And less reliably pleasant. I can't believe how they scrap in the boardroom. You'd think they were being paid to do so....
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

The Augean stables cleansing operation began with three firings. And I was delighted to see that Elizabeth was not only on the winning team, but had the honesty and good business sense to redress the stupid action of her project manager in suddenly upping the cost of dog training sessions, by offering refunds to understandably annoyed customers. As she pointed out, they responded by buying some of the pet products. [Biased]

And how salutary that on the BBC2 follow-up, "You're Fired," the audience endorsed Lord Sugar's decision. [Big Grin]

[ 23. November 2017, 06:43: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
And less reliably pleasant. I can't believe how they scrap in the boardroom. You'd think they were being paid to do so....
[Roll Eyes]

Or edited. Even if everyone took turns at speaking it could easily be edited into a scrap. What goes out is always the TV company's choice.

The triple sacking has been a long time coming. Rightly so. With so many on last chances it could happen again.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And there is only a finite number of episodes.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Looking at the number of remaining candidates versus the number of weeks left, sackings should average two per week. This is going to be fun.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why do I watch it? Each week I think, what a load of unintelligent beings, then.............I'm hooked!

Same here - and my brother and husband! I decided not to watch it this week (I can’t bear to see dogs being mistreated) but they persuaded me.

The contestants don’t have any practical skills, emotional intelligence or ability to think on their feet whatsoever. Most of them have no ability to add up either.

I expected the triple sacking this time. The early morning scenes confuse me - every bit must be rigged?

[ 24. November 2017, 07:33: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

Same here - and my brother and husband! I decided not to watch it this week (I can’t bear to see dogs being mistreated) but they persuaded me.

The contestants don’t have any practical skills, emotional intelligence or ability to think on their feet whatsoever. Most of them have no ability to add up either.

I expected the triple sacking this time. The early morning scenes confuse me - every bit must be rigged?

They did not understand the concept of service industry this week.

The idea that you are providing a service to people and therefore the customer's needs come first was met with the same self serving by many showed here. In a team task trying to win by making others in your team look bad, when the essence of the competition is to find Lord Sugar a business partner, someone who will work with, not against, his/her partner. How many series will it take for candidates to realise this?

As for the early morning scenes being rigged, why do you need to ask this? Do you not think the presence of the camera crew would not give the candidates a clue? (OTOH some of them are clueless.)

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As the final three came back into the boardroom, I said to my wife, dump all of them. And he did. Some pretty poor candidates, but I suppose there always are, it makes it amusing, esp. their self-aggrandizement.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, any bets on who will make it to the finals? I like Elzabeth and Michaela, but I don't think he could work with Elizabeth.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

It's quite a credible idea that Elizabeth and Michaela will end up slugging it out. That might not be a pretty sight.

OTOH they might decide to ditch lord Sugar and sail off into the sunset together to run their own show. I think either of them could get on quite well with one other person and they are pretty evenly matched as regards nous, willingness to work and ability to irritate.

A joint venture could give each of them enough space to contribute effectively without treading on the other's toes.

World, beware! [Two face]

--------------------

Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about Sarah? She's quiet but fairly competent as far as I remember, intelligent, mostly on the winning team.
I don't think Michaela will win. Elizabeth...more likely than I would have said a few weeks ago.
The boys are really not an inspiring lot this year.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Elizabeth was unbelievable this week, even for her. She operates on a 6 year-old level of always wanting to take over. But she chops a mean celery.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I cringed all the way through this week’s show. How could the producers present such an incompetent bunch to the industry experts.

I still watched it, of course [Razz]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One has a duty to do so, however painful ...

Of course, in Lord S.'s eyes, the wrong team won.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
wild haggis
Shipmate
# 15555

- Posted      Profile for wild haggis         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eeek! Why do I watch it?!!!!!!

Heaven help British business if this is what we are going to have running our companies in the future.

They are worse than kids in a primary school playground. In fact after some 40 years of teaching, I would say that most primary kids behave better - even in deprived London estates.

Good entertainment and I'm hooked.

Elizabeth........she's like something out of a panto. Maybe she has missed her vocation. Some producer should snap her up for next year's castings.

--------------------
wild haggis

Posts: 166 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I still watched it, of course [Razz]

Conflict is very watchable, isn't it? Though the sheer childishness of some of the contestants is incredible. I get the feeling that the original selection was to achieve a gladiatorial casting rather than discovering good business partners. No doubt the producers are chuckling all the way to their pay checks.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

The thing which did surprise me was that Lord Sugar only fired one apprentice. Maybe the next task requires larger groups.

We'll see how long Elizabeth can hang in there. She would probably be the only candidate in the history of the show who might be praised for doing as little as possible - if she could hold back that far...

[ 05. December 2017, 11:47: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Omigod, I'll be at a pub quiz this evening. Keep me posted, shipmates, as to the latest developments.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do wonder if the two finalists are chosen before the series starts and don't get fired if they are on the losing team unless they have done something monumentally stupid, in which case they get a "with regret".

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Just looked at the candidate profiles - my money's now on Sarah and Michaela, though I do think that Jade was set up to fail

--------------------

Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

My money's been on Sarah since the second week. James is a slight possibility but unlikely. Elizabeth, however, will be the candidate everyone remembers from this series.
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
I do wonder if the two finalists are chosen before the series starts and don't get fired if they are on the losing team unless they have done something monumentally stupid, in which case they get a "with regret".

I've thought something similar - not perhaps just two but a "short list". Presumably, too, Lord S. has seen their business plans before they start and has a good idea which ones will work.
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

I managed to get the latest on catchup at a friend's house. A punchy group of women, except for Sarah, who is quiet, and steely where required. I also can't imagine Elizabeth winning, though she did manage to hold back during the last task. James looks like the token man.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Sarah and James are the finalists. James? That egocentric, untrustworthy, lying little **** (not sure how explicit I'm allowed to be outside of Hell). [Mad]

It may be "good" television but I would have thought that basic honesty was a non-negotiable requirement in the finally chosen one. Choosing James could well result in legal problems with "dissatisfied" clients.

Maybe Lord Sugar believes he could control James. Maybe this is just another slice of theatre for the viewers. I saw no charm, just a slightly (but only slightly) more polished Del-Boy. [Disappointed]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

You put things so nicely ...
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I think he had Sarah in mind from the beginning - Sugar + Sweets. He couldn’t resist.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Damn, we were keen on Michaela, but not Sugar's type really. He's got two anaemic people in the final.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

The session with Lord Sugar was interesting, he obviously liked the 3 he'd fired.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Blow me down, he's taken them both on! I still think James is a menace, but like Lord S. for this decision. Appropriately Christmassy! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Question (to which we'll never know the answer) - was this really a "spur of the moment" decision by Lord S.? Were his co-conspirators really as surprised as they appeared? Did the Director/Producer know? Had it been planned long in advance?

Well, it made for good telly!

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016