homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » December Book Group: Hogfather

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: December Book Group: Hogfather
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Book Group choice for December is Terry Pratchett's Hogfather . I'll post some questions later in the month, maybe a little earlier than the 20th so as not to clash with the start of people's Christmas celebrations.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 1951 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
andras
Shipmate
# 2065

- Posted      Profile for andras   Email andras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant!

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Posts: 491 | From: Tregaron | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in!
[Yipee]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18177 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11688 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never read anything by Terry Pratchett (yes, I know ...!) and think this might be my opportunity to try one. Is there anything I need to know first, or should I just leap in?
Posts: 896 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13597 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
andras
Shipmate
# 2065

- Posted      Profile for andras   Email andras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marama:
I've never read anything by Terry Pratchett (yes, I know ...!) and think this might be my opportunity to try one. Is there anything I need to know first, or should I just leap in?

Only that he's bl**dy brilliant!

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed he is, generally speaking - but (just to cast an early sour note on the proceedings), I don't think this is one of his better books.

YMMV - enjoy the discussion!

I'm off to continue renewing my acquaintance with some of Wilkie Collins' more obscure novels, given that I can't get out much at the moment....

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 9449 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think Pratchett explains everything you need to know as you go along, probably better than anyone can do on the internet.

It's the second or fourth or twentieth book in a series depending on how you count, and the series started out as a parody of the cliches of seventies and eighties fantasy fiction. So summarising everything you might possibly want to know would take some time and be not really worth it.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10423 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good advice - just go for it!

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 9449 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've not read a lot but don't find not having the books that might (or might not) have gone before a disadvantage when reading Pratchett.
If you do want to explore further than the confines of this book here is the link to his official website.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll just leave this here, although I'm sure the august readers of this site are not in need of assistance.
Posts: 4900 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And with that guidance, I'll jump in and join you.
Posts: 896 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'm going to try it too, on the same grounds -- never read Pratchett before; always kind of meant to. Maybe not the best place to start but it will be fun to read it along with others.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7373 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not my favourite, but a good time for a re-read!

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 92 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Will do some Pratchett hunting when I next get a chance - co-ownership of the set between me, the maternal Knotweed, and my brother, means that books may be on any of 3 different sides of the cattle crossing depending on who was reading them last...

--------------------
When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.
Erasmus of Rotterdam

Posts: 656 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to admit I agree with those who say this might not be the best to start on... but better to read any Pratchett than to not read Pratchett at all!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11688 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't think it was one of his best when I first read it; when I reread it my opinion improved.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10423 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
andras
Shipmate
# 2065

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
I didn't think it was one of his best when I first read it; when I reread it my opinion improved.

I agree with that view, but will keep my reasons to myself until the discussion gets under way.

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

louis crandall
Apprentice
# 18781

- Posted      Profile for louis crandall   Email louis crandall   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
have read hogfather several times and it is a brilliant book I also have the film version that was made for television on dvd. Ian Richardson as the voice of death is excellent. or as death says near the end of the film ASTONISHING.
Posts: 7 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

So when is this going to start?

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I've just finished reading it, but I don't want to post up questions too early to give others to the chance to finish it. I was thinking of Monday 18th.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My copy of this is packed in a box somewhere, but I've ordered a library copy and will crack on with reading it soon.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1834 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

OK, Sarasa, sounds good.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by louis crandall:
have read hogfather several times and it is a brilliant book I also have the film version that was made for television on dvd. Ian Richardson as the voice of death is excellent. or as death says near the end of the film ASTONISHING.

The TV version is being shown over Christmas in the UK on Pick (Freeview channel 11) on Thursday 28 and Friday 29 December 6-8pm.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3123 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016