homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Shipboard Memories (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Shipboard Memories
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It’s strange to think that the Ship as we know her is on the last few days of her last voyage, soon to draw alongside the shiny New Ship ready for us all to clamber aboard 🚢

What are your shipboard memories and hopes for the future?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been a Shippie since December 2002. I'm hoping that there will be a lot of laughter on the new Ship. Yes, I know, we live in serious times. But poking fun at ourselves, at religion, etc. is a balm for the soul, IMO.

eta: Inadvertently took my own advice and originally posted (via typo) that I had been a "hippie" since December 2002. I think it goes back way before that. [Big Grin]

sabine

[ 14. December 2017, 14:55: Message edited by: sabine ]

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember Small Fire. That is what brought me to the ship.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What are some features you would like to have on the new Ship?
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember with mixed emotions the wonder thread we had on 9/11. [Tear]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The chat room could be hilarious at times.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The amazing sharing of vulnerabilities, and mutual upholding on some PBs.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Iron Chef Ship of Fools. It was lots of fun! I played an obnoxious drunk in the audience and had a great time kibitzing. Erin was in rare form. [Tear]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lyda*Rose's post reminds me of that terrible time when we learned of Erin's death. But there was such an outpouring of love, of shared memories, of grief -- and we heard from so many Shippies who hadn't posted in years. It was amazing how the word spread. I believe her funeral was the only time the boards have gone dark, except for scheduled maintenance.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Among my fondest Shipboard memories are the times I got to actually meet Shipmates face-to-face. Some of them have become good friends in Real Life, including jedijudy (who, with wonderful kindness, looked in on my aunt in Fort Myers in her last illness), Lamb Chopped, Motherboard, and JB.

The best thing I did, though, was to trade email addresses with Margaret, with whom I was carrying on a PM correspondence. She has become one of the dearest friends I've ever had. We've written back and forth daily since; I've stayed with her and her husband twice, and traveled with her several times. Thank you, Ship!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Nativity Play.
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
The Nativity Play.

I read the Nativity play and Fields of Gold every year around Christmas.. Not both on the one night.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with Rossweisse, whom I consider a dear and lovely friend! Meeting other Shipmates has been such a joy, and convincing our friends and family that it's OK, we probably aren't going to be killed by axe murderers, is part of the fun!

The International Shipmeets, the little private ones in small restaurants, cafes and homes (here, Paris, Morecambe...so many, many places), staying with trusting Shipmates who had never seen me before; all these have been amazing experiences. I think having meals together is a perfect way to cement friendships.

One of the most fun was meeting Zandolit at a movie theater to see Star Wars, where she recognized me and my padawans immediately, because we were all wearing our Jedi robes! [Big Grin] She is a brave lady!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was preparing to move to California for grad school, Amazing Grace welcomed me into her home while out apartment-hunting. And then when I'd finally moved there, she put together a little party of Shipmates so I could meet the "No-Cal" group.

Now I'm back in Michigan, where, alas, Shippies are few and far between... I've met 2 and am facebook friends with another who I haven't met yet.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
The International Shipmeets, the little private ones in small restaurants, cafes and homes (here, Paris

Yay! [Big Grin]

The old café (where I first got on board), the Nativity Play and Erin's funeral in the "new" café all stand out. I printed out an entire record of the latter to PDF if anybody's interested.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The original Ship, and the BCB (Board/Bored Colonial Brigade) who posted at odd (UK) times of day.

Ship-related weddings!

'Let's talk T'n'T' the temporary board for all things to do with sex (yes, really).

Which was followed by the merger of Small Fire and the Mystery Worship boards to become Eccles... hence I suggested it should be called 'Let's talk Tat and Tealights'.

The Ungodly Fear board, which was a healing experience for some and an eye-opener for others.

Shipmeets! Particularly the one in which Sean and Bronwyn met across an ocean and became Seanwyn @ pinkfluffycloud dot com. Which, as I remember, was also visited by a Motherboard in disguise.

And a Swansea girly Shipmeet where I inadvertently baptised Sven the Moose in a mug of tea.

Then there are the London Shipmeets, which featured several Shipmates who are now holding a table for us in the Everlasting Arms for the ultimate heavenly Shipmeet.

Staying with sad memories, much of 9/11 was spent in an internet cafe (we didn't have internet access at home then) periodically checking in on Shipmates and praying and grieving.

Then there was Miss Molly, and the way her contributions brightened our lives. I can't listen to 'Fields of Gold' without giving her a little wave. And the way many of us in different countries came together to make a quilt for her was a very special time indeed.

And of course the sad loss of Erin - only two weeks before, I had been flying over Jacksonville and had waved to her as instructed.

Turning to happier thoughts - the Ship's version of Eurovision, which produced some memorable parodies and the prophetic creation of Helmuth Alpenhorn and his Swiss Miss Belles, which came true (sort of) this year.

And so, so many thought provoking, creative and downright silly moments over the years.

The Ship is truly a unique place, and the new vessel will be a fitting home for its bizarre and wonderful crew.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia

Mafia is the greatest game ever and we need to play it again once migration has occurred.

(Also, though I say so myself, I am quite good at it [Biased] )

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Memories?

The wonderful banter, the enthralling discussions (and differing POVs), the feeling of being upheld in prayer by folk one doesn't know, and will probably never meet IRL. And the privilege of being able to use sweary-words in Hell...

Hopes? That the new Ship's decks, cabins, companionways etc. will be as easy to navigate around as those of the present vessel!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love being able to talk theology, and the fun we have in Heaven and Hell plus the company found in All Saints and the occasional foray into the circus.

I wonder if the boards will have the same names? Must pop to the Styx to ask ...

I hope there will be a board Ship blogging section with photos allowed. I loved that on COF - they sometimes baecame crazy discussions and were great fun too.

Looking forward to balancing along that gangplank! I may be in Germany when it happens so I may need a long one!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Mafia

I thought you meant the Nashville Mafia for a moment there.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember the first incarnation of CoF where someone made scz a warden. That was quite amusing.

--------------------
arse

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Ungodly Fear board was very special, especially Harry, who had told terrible stories of growing up in a church where demons were suspected of lurking everywhere. He had an especially hard time because he was an intelligent child who asked questions.

As he vented and others listened and sympathized, he got past a lot of his bitterness.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first H&A day. Was it celebrating Mousethief's 10000 post where we added Russian endings to our name? And Ken's, where we became Roundheads.

The random, lovely people I've met all over the place, although much less so now.

The realisation you can cry genuine tears and feel genuinely sad at the loss of someone you had never ever met.

I rarely post now (and never posted much anyway), and my reading has changed over time, but I still look in most weeks.

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erik
Shipmate
# 11406

- Posted      Profile for Erik   Email Erik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The ship has helped to significantly evolve my theology over the years (for the better I think). I am much more comfortable with the level of doubt and questioning in my spiritual life.

I also remember KenWritz posting the best ways to cook individual shipmates. There's always something new to learn on the ship.

--------------------
One day I will think of something worth saying here.

Posts: 96 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure this is a great thread for me. Just realised that most of my fondest memories of the Ship are over a decade old!

[Ultra confused]

I miss the cafe.

Curious Buddhist - what a weird episode that was!

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shipmeets, small or large, here or abroad. I've met Shipmates who live nearby as well as several in England. (Just met another Shipmate this past week.) Others I've never met in person, but feel that I know them. The Ship is an amazing international community.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, shipmeets! Though they can be scary I’ve met wonderful shipmates in Canada, Australia, London and the Isle of Wight in addition to mini meets with Dormouse in MK.
My hope for the future is to meet many more, nary an axe murderer among them.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes Tree Bee. And some of us even recognised each other in the middle of the pedestrian crossing in Sydney.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shipmates who have gone ashore: Comet, Duchess, Pax Romana, Sacristan, Sine Nomine, Ultraspike, and so many others. And who could forget the boy we loved to hate, the Shipboard Pest, dear Max.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Salicional
Shipmate
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dattaswami and his/her long, long essays about reincarnation.
Posts: 68 | From: near Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
The first H&A day. Was it celebrating Mousethief's 10000 post where we added Russian endings to our name? And Ken's, where we became Roundheads.

Erin's 10000 post. Yes there has been none like it.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia

"I like to stab people in their sleep. Nothing personal."

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On 9/11 the ship was a huge blessing to me. I had been out early doing errands, and I had heard on the car radio that a plane had hit the twin towers. I assumed a small plane had accidentally hit the towers. Before I got home, I learned that it was much more than that.

I logged on the ship and spent all day there. It was much easier to handle the shock and distress with others who were reacting the same way. I'm not sure how I would have managed otherwise.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope that the new ship can accommodate Live Chat. I quite enjoyed (because of the time difference) chatting with UK shipmates between end of my work day and going to the pub. It became a regular feature to the point that Sioni Sais and others would tease about my "off to pub" farewells. I really enjoyed the Live Chat.

I have notice since my return from extended shore leave that the Ship has become more a bubble than it used to be. This hasn't inhibited my expression, but I recall more thrust-and-parry. Perhaps that is just nostalgia for a nonexistent past.

I miss many who have taken shore leave or gone to the Harbour Beyond, too many to list.

I have enjoyed Kerygmania and Ecclesiantics, where I contribute the least and learn the most.

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've learned a lot more about the weird (sometimes very weird) and wonderful variety of Christianity, and in particular I think I've gained a deeper understanding and appreciation of the Reformed tradition.

And some years ago there was a long discussion of autism and Asperger's, with a number of Aspie shipmates sharing their experience [Overused] which I found tremendously helpful and enlightening.

But going back to Ross's post upthread - yes, same here! Who would have thought that one of the major friendships of my life would have started on a discussion board? Grateful thanks to the Ship, and long may she sail!

Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being totally schooled on theological points I had never even considered before. IngoB was the master of this, but I particularly remember a lesson from Psyduck about Apollinarianism.
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
oh, and EAT IT NOW...
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Other than a few local shipmeets, where I got to know the locals, I am most grateful to have the friendship of Smudgie who opened her heart and home to a nervous Canadian. [Axe murder] Which is not to forget all the other kind people (looking at you EnZed and Aus.) that I met during my 2011 Grand Tour, and the countless others I met in Canada England and Scotland. I will never forget Firenze gazing in horror at that iconic Canadian dish, poutine when she met with us in Ottawa. She was also a gracious host in Embra. And all the Cresswell clan.

Whoever and wherever, I raise a glass to all of you!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2 meetings (+1 successful meet at GB)

And one of the earliest posts being on the "be offended thread", where I was devastated by the overly harsh reaction. [brick wall] :missingpoint:

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I discovered the Ship when there was a publicity row over Manchester Cathedral “un-inviting” Bishop Gene Robinson to speak (or something like that. The mists of time...). The Ship was the first Christian (TM) forum I’d found where you could say you were gay and the majority response would be “Meh”.

I’m still delighted by the wit and wisdom of many shipmates. I suppose I, too, remember the losses - principally, for me, Ken and Erin. Ken’s glorious rant-post about Bach which ended “WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO PAY ME YOU TIGHT SAXON BASTARDS?” is forever etched on my memory.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
  • I really enjoyed the time when we talked about which 5 books of the Bible we could do without.
  • The space to be able to question the things you weren't supposed to question.
  • Some of the silly games in the Circus

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cathscats
Shipmate
# 17827

- Posted      Profile for Cathscats   Email Cathscats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You all make me feel so young - in ship-life anyway.

--------------------
"...damp hands and theological doubts - the two always seem to go together..." (O. Douglas, "The Setons")

Posts: 176 | From: Central Highlands | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The news of Erin's death - someone I didn't know and was unlikely ever to meet. Total shock, and some tears 😥

Various Shipmeets - it's amazing how you can recognise shipmates when you're expecting them!some have become friends in real life - NSW, now ST, has put Lord P up on several occasions. Bird y'all children gave her friend heart failure in Abergavenny when they saw us a couple of weeks after a Shipmeets and started talking to us, total strangers as far as she was concerned!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meeting (and bell-ringing) with shipmates at Ken's funeral - an amazing event for an amazing man.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quarter-peal ringing for St Simeons... I've still only rung that one quarter away from my home towser (htough that looks set to change as of New Years Eve - as does my one a year at most pace!

AG

(waves a sally at Qoheleth)

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The story thread featuring a total diva hamster, a decapitated Joan Rivers, a naked mole rat and, as they say, a cast of thousands.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've not been around so very long; lots of people, some still here, some not, come to mind. I really enjoyed the 8th-day 'poetry' extravaganza.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm very glad the Ship's here: it's great getting to know people even without knowing them in RL; getting to know people's foibles: Zappa's hatred of cold weather (which he defines as anything under 25°C); Wodders' love of garlic.

The camaraderie I feel with the other inhabitants of All Saints can't adequately be described. I try and remember people on the prayer thread when I'm talking to the Almighty, and it's very comforting to think that if I've asked for prayers there are people sending them up all over the world on my behalf.

I hope the new Ship will carry on with these traditions for many years to come.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was a brand new Episcopalian when I joined in 2008. Found out another member attends a church in my city and we've met in person.

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adeodatus:
quote:
I’m still delighted by the wit and wisdom of many shipmates. I suppose I, too, remember the losses - principally, for me, Ken and Erin. Ken’s glorious rant-post about Bach which ended “WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO PAY ME YOU TIGHT SAXON BASTARDS?” is forever etched on my memory.
I printed that rant on Mozart vs Bach and pinned it to the bulletin board in our church choir room. One of my favorites. [Tear]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016