homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Shipboard Memories (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Shipboard Memories
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe it's the sorry state of the world now, but I seem to remember a lot more laughter on the Ship back in the day. Well, more funny posts; the laughter may have been just mine.

Didn't St. Cuervo post an entire operetta?

sabine

[ 23. December 2017, 17:21: Message edited by: sabine ]

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Was that Curious Buddhist? I came across Unicycle doing something similar a couple of years later.

Curious Buddhist and Unicycle were one and the same person.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sabine:

Didn't St. Cuervo post an entire operetta?

I don't remember an operetta, but he posted some hilarious parodies.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have very fond memories of Heaven invading Hell and some of us put up chintz curtains there! [Angel]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
quote:
Was that Curious Buddhist? I came across Unicycle doing something similar a couple of years later.

Curious Buddhist and Unicycle were one and the same person.

Jengie

Yes, Curious Buddhist - that was "she". I seem to remember it was a very elaborate hoax with an additional blog as well, going into huge amounts of detail...
Well, I hope that some good came out of it somewhere along the line.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Maybe it's the sorry state of the world now, but I seem to remember a lot more laughter on the Ship back in the day. Well, more funny posts; the laughter may have been just mine.

I agree. Before joining I lurked for a year or two and found the content more anarchic, alternative and yes, amusing to a large degree.

Along with other things, ISTM that changing laws re. Internet use and the realisation that VL offerings could have RL consequences may have started to dawn on folk. The infamous savile Hell thread was the point at which this particular neck decided to wind in.
Contributions, spontaneity, and intrigue around threads which followed unfolding news stories didn’t quite seem the same after that.

SofF is still an interesting place and one I wish well for the future.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
There used to be frequent news of Shipmeets in All Saints, with photos to follow. I haven't seen photos of a Shipmeet in quite some time.

We rarely seem to have shipmeets these days.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
There used to be frequent news of Shipmeets in All Saints, with photos to follow. I haven't seen photos of a Shipmeet in quite some time.

We do have shipmeets. Though nowadays they seem to be privately arranged by people who have already met. The last large shipmeets I attended were in Scotland and England in the spring of 2013.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
quote:
posted by Ian Climacus:
Green & Blacks. Never heard of it until it was mentioned here, by Erin iirc. Maya Gold was a firm favourite of mine, but it seems to have gone the way of the dodo here.

If there is no problem sending chocorrit from the UK to Oz and you are happy to PM your address, I will happily send you some Maya Gold. Though leaving until it's not quite high summer may be sensible...
Thank you. So generous of you.

And thank you Jengie for the link.

I'll speak to the staff at my store and see if they can get it in... There is an independent grocer not too far away where I think it may exist too.

[ 31. December 2017, 02:28: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
We haven't had a San Francisco shipmeet in ages. Maybe in the New Year somebody will cook something up.

I remember a meet in a North Beach restaurant, where we dined under the gaze of Lawrence Ferlinghetti, painted on the wall behind us. It really looked like he was part of the party! AG, what was the name of that place? Was it the US Cafe?

The first SF meet was in Ghirardelli Square. IIRC, we had lunch at a cafe, then went across the square to a Ghirardelli ice cream place for dessert. I think most of us had big sundaes. We found we periodically got (good) taste flashbacks afterwards; and some of us (Kelly, I, and maybe some others) have had a running joke about what drug might have been put in our sundaes!
[Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

We do have shipmeets. Though nowadays they seem to be privately arranged by people who have already met. The last large shipmeets I attended were in Scotland and England in the spring of 2013.
I certainly ended up at a de facto one in Perth recently - off the top of my head I can recall six shippies there

[ 31. December 2017, 08:08: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
The first SF meet was in Ghirardelli Square. IIRC, we had lunch at a cafe, then went across the square to a Ghirardelli ice cream place for dessert. I think most of us had big sundaes. We found we periodically got (good) taste flashbacks afterwards; and some of us (Kelly, I, and maybe some others) have had a running joke about what drug might have been put in our sundaes!
[Smile]

Was that the one I was at, or was that later?

I remember having my first cherry cola at the cafe upstairs and loving it. So much so I recall us wondering if there was crack in it. The sundaes were delicious.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, hell yes, the Cherry Coke and the Chocolate Chip Cookie sundae were competing for most addictive food item. But the sundaes, man— you could summon the taste by recall for days after. That was weird, though pleasant.

( I also remember poking around in the ice in my glass and muttering “ I lost my damn cherry,” which sent Madake off into gales of laughter.)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, and epic offense wars featuring lilbuddha and Ariston. Good times, camarades, good times.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
We haven't had a San Francisco shipmeet in ages. Maybe in the New Year somebody will cook something up.

I'm heading over to Menlo Park at the end of Jan for work. I've got a free day on Sat 3 Feb (flight from SFO at 8pm, so I've got most of the day free)…

[ 31. December 2017, 11:11: Message edited by: Amorya ]

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

sabine

Oh yes. Sine Nomine and Preslyterian once had a long faux-fight based on Victorian rules of etiquette that was Oscar Wilde level of wit. Balisarius would occasionally start fun threads like the one where we were invited to write short summaries of classic novels. Someone whose name I can't remember but a hog as an avatar was consistently funny.

It wasn't all epic calls to Hell, although I can get a bit nostalgic, even for them. Before there was Russ there was Father Gregory to unite the left in solidarity.

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Someone whose name I can't remember but a hog as an avatar was consistently funny.

Ham'n'Eggs, who once posted ASCII art in Hell.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia

Mafia is the greatest game ever and we need to play it again once migration has occurred.

(Also, though I say so myself, I am quite good at it [Biased] )

Yes!

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The beloved edit window!
If you were watching closely you’ll have seen me try to edit the first post, mess up the quote doing so, try again but somehow add a new post, then delete that! And all just to add “I’m not” (any good at Mafia) but still love it. I thought it was going to end up as a host cry out “please fix my code”!

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hugal and I managed a cross-pond shipmeet when we visited NYC. Much laughter was had in Katz's Deli with Miss Amanda (under a different name back then), Nicole, Flounder, Belisarius (who kindly showed us to the subway afterwards) and others.

I still suspect that the initial nonplussed looks we received that evening were because some US Shipmates were assuming Gill was a male name (as in Gil) - and they knew that Hugal and I liked ballroom dancing, and Broadway shows... [Biased]

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Hugal and I managed a cross-pond shipmeet when we visited NYC. Much laughter was had in Katz's Deli. . . . I still suspect that the initial nonplussed looks we received that evening were because some US Shipmates were assuming Gill was a male name . . . and I liked ballroom dancing, and Broadway shows... [Biased]

And dancing sailors on leave in Times Square, as I recall.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a meet in London, was it the Kelly Alves meet? linked to meets in Yorkshire (balaam) and America? through the café. Weren't we trying for 10 meets at once?

Last big formal meet I went to was in 2016, in Yorkshire. But I meet up with a few others every so often.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finding the link that was attached to a full stop (period). That kind of behaviour, although fun, was subsequently banned.

Unmasking male attitudes behind female names and vice versa, getting to understand the complexity of some personalities and talking down the worst extremists that joined the ship in the early days.

Making friends at the Surreal meet, Artists meet, Isle of Wight meet and other shipmeets.

Finding the only place I have ever found where honest opinions about church attitudes have been accepted and discussed.

Voting on which smileys to keep, add and remove forever. I miss that wobbling flower so much.

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amorya:
I'm heading over to Menlo Park at the end of Jan for work. I've got a free day on Sat 3 Feb (flight from SFO at 8pm, so I've got most of the day free)…

I'm around, and not working that day.
Off to start a shipmeet thread.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it okay to ask "Whatever happened to...?" about Shipmates who haven't posted in a long time?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We quite often have had threads of that nature in All Saints.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
We quite often have had threads of that nature in All Saints.

Jengie

And it has ben known for the missed Shipmate to post on them.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading this thread has left me with those questions frequently.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Arleigh
Shipmate
# 5332

- Posted      Profile for Arleigh   Email Arleigh   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
...It's been a while since I first tip toed, stilll under 52 posts, to a Byron Bay shipmeet with Rowen (at that time, temporarily, "The Lady Rowen"), Nutmeg, Left at the Altar and Nunc Dimittis.

[Tear]
♥Arleigh

Posts: 388 | From: Brisbane | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
QM!!! Long time no see! At least here!

One of my very fond, and proud, memories was actually winning the Knockout Quiz one year! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am attempting to post from my cellphone. I'm already aware my post about the new Star Wars movie was cut off. So, tell me, what Shipmates have sailed to the great Ship in the sky since I last was on here? I've been gone since 2015, I think. My computer died, was briefly resurrected, and then died again. I thought someone here said Comet died?! Noooooooo, tell me I read that incorrectly?!

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Comet is still alive and well, but she seems to have gone ashore.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Salicional
Shipmate
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was wondering the same thing about LeRoc, who was a fairly prolific poster a while ago.
Posts: 68 | From: near Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I've been wondering (most recently) about Sarkycow.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
I've been wondering (most recently) about Sarkycow.

Last I heard was that she was forced ashore by a serious bout of "married with child".

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

That can be hard on one's online access. Thanks!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Haven't been here for so long I wasn't sure I could still log in. I was thinking of the Ship yesterday when talking with my daughter about the church she went to in Lincoln where she is now studying, trying to remember what questions were asked in the Mystery Worshipper reports. [Smile]
Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember a meet in Washington,D.C. (actually in Alexandria) in the summer of 2000. Shipmates present were Presleyterian, Arrietty, Motherboard, Mary Beth, and I. My daughter and Arrietty's husband and two sons were also there.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
guinness girl

Ship's Barmaid
# 4391

- Posted      Profile for guinness girl   Email guinness girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
it was the T'n'T board that pulled me in long, long ago. As a young evangelical student, who'd only ever known other evangelicals, the Ship was a revelation to me. The diversity of opinion and theology! The wit and humour!

As other people have already observed, it's people more than topics/posts that stick in my mind. The witty and wise, the controversial, the kind and compassionate... too many to list. It has always shocked me how deeply I've felt the losses of those departed shipmates who were very real to me despite my having never met them irl.

I've been quiet in the last few years, mainly due to the demands of having young children, but I do still lurk and read. The Ship is very special to me and I'll definitely be climbing aboard the new Ship when she's ready.

--------------------
supplying people with laughs at my expense since 1982!

Posts: 463 | From: Leeds, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We had a meet in London, was it the Kelly Alves meet? linked to meets in Yorkshire (balaam) and America? through the café. Weren't we trying for 10 meets at once?

Last big formal meet I went to was in 2016, in Yorkshire. But I meet up with a few others every so often.

Iirc, that was when I brought my old Linux loaded R61 along... 10 synced meets using the cafe between them...
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Northern English meet was in Newcastle, but it was my laptop that was used but Annie P typing.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was first drawn in by the gadgets for God -- I found a holy Elvis guitar that I had to join up in order to post. Been here ever since.

I too remember the curious buddhist incident. Josephine sent her flowers. What a bizarre thing.

Anybody else remember the mysteriously disappearing Moon Cup thread?

I remember Kenwritez explaining something via interpretive dance, but now for the life of me I can't remember what he was explaining.

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
Comet is still alive and well, but she seems to have gone ashore.

She turns up occasionally in my FB feed. I have also spoken recently with jahlove, the bede's american successor (he was just here 1/1), chastmastr, and others.

Oh, and can't forget the ThomasDF incident, where my wife was temporarily crowned Queen of Hell (even acknowledged as such by RooK) because she tried to help him and he read it wrong.

[ 05. January 2018, 01:47: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

I remember Kenwritez explaining something via interpretive dance, but now for the life of me I can't remember what he was explaining.

Try here.
[Smile]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Knockout Quiz and other games drew me back in (i had dabbled in the older boards) when alerted to it by a friend (who is now my wife)

Various flavours of Mafia, trying to "host" a game of Cluedo, the Oscars Predictions, and more.
Why do we have to wait until the new boards to start another game of Mafia - why not start one now ?

Shipmeets, where "local" people you meet become friends - and in some cases, neighbours - and you get a chance to welcome international visitors

It's been a while since we had a Scottish shipmeet "just because" rather than someone visiting.

Then when you travel, you get the chance to be the "honoured guest", so thank you for the warm welcome I (we) have received in Florida, London and Melbourne.

I remember feeling priveleged to be invited to host, then panic of "i'll never manage" during the "training" and sinking stomach of the first Styx call for my actions.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone heard anything from Ariel?

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariel is alive and well and posting regularly on Facebook.

quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
So, tell me, what Shipmates have sailed to the great Ship in the sky since I last was on here?

When we learn of shipmates' deaths, we post their names on the In Memoriam thread in Glory. There haven't been any additions in quite a while.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Ariel is alive and well and posting regularly on Facebook.

Can someone explain this sort of thing to me?

I'm not on Facebook but have occasionally been asked to peek in when someone wants me to look at their vacation or grandchild pics. As far as I've seen it's just a lot of selfies, or at best a personal blog of daily doings and recipes.

Are there places on Facebook where people can have the sort of discussion/argument we have here?

Obama recently told Prince Harry that one aspect of the internet he didn't like was the tendency people have to find like minded others and never be forced to think outside that box (Obama put it better.) Is Facebook more or less like that than the Ship?

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You post your recipes or cat pictures or whatever on your FB feed. And your friends (whom you have Friended on FB) do the same. Endless commentary and chat can thus be generated. Everything does depend upon how many people you are connected to; clearly if it's just you and your dentist it's not so fun. It is a great tool to keep up with people (college friends, distant relatives, work associates from ten years ago, etc.) that you might otherwise not be in regular touch with. By exchanging a sentence a day, or a cat picture a week, with a person you can become quite good friends in a year.

SoF does have its own FB page, which is not very interesting and mainly a repository for mildly amusing memes.

[ 05. January 2018, 18:49: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The trouble with the SOF Facebook page is that you don't know who anybody is, as Facebook uses real names, while we mostly know each other only by our Shipmate names!

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
... Facebook uses real names, while we mostly know each other only by our Shipmate names!

Very true - I've recently become FB friends with someone who I know must be a Shippie, because all our mutual friends are Shippies, but I don't know which one she is, and I'm a wee bit shy of sending her a PM to ask her.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016