homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » January Book Group - How to Stop Time

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: January Book Group - How to Stop Time
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Ship of Fools Book Group pick for January 2018 is How to Stop Time by Matt Haig. Best described as a romantic historical fantasy, it's an easy quick read and one of the books I enjoyed most last year. I'm looking forward to reading it again for the the Book Group. As usual I'll post questions on the 20th.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 1994 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to make an effort to read more this year. I shall hunt it down.
Posts: 7763 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the current R4 Book at Bedtime, which is intriguing me (but I'm still reading Hogfather having not been able to find the copy we both thought we had).

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13683 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From a quick glimpse at the blurb, there is no possible way I will not be reading this book. Just hope I can get hold of a copy.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7405 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
andras
Shipmate
# 2065

- Posted      Profile for andras   Email andras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I have to read this - one of my own characters is a woman who has 'never learned to die,' a fact which has gone blissfully unnoticed by other people simply because she's just a part of the scenery.

So yes, count me in!

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Posts: 509 | From: Tregaron | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't get it in this country till Feb 6, so I'll probably jump in a bit late on the discussion.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7405 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read this back in September and enjoyed it a lot. Not sure if I can fit in a re-read before the 20th (two other book clubs!) but maybe.

Either way I'll probably jump in on the discussion.

Posts: 3686 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry it won't be availble for January TS. Why do publishers publish books at random times in different countries. There must be quite a few people in books clubs similar to this one.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Here are a few questions. Feel free to add your own.

1. For fantasy to work it has to provide a convincing world. Were you convinced by Tom's world and situation?

2. Did you find the fact Tom kept on bumping into famous people endearing or annoying. Did it detract or enhance your reading of the book?

3. Towards the end Tom realises two things. That is important to live without fear and that in every moment he can see every other one. Did this resonate with you?

4. If you have read other books about romance between people who live on different timescales, how did this compare?

5. Have you read any other Matt Haig books, and if so what did you think of them?

--------------------

andras
Shipmate
# 2065

- Posted      Profile for andras   Email andras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
Here are a few questions. Feel free to add your own.

1. For fantasy to work it has to provide a convincing world. Were you convinced by Tom's world and situation?

2. Did you find the fact Tom kept on bumping into famous people endearing or annoying. Did it detract or enhance your reading of the book?

3. Towards the end Tom realises two things. That is important to live without fear and that in every moment he can see every other one. Did this resonate with you?

4. If you have read other books about romance between people who live on different timescales, how did this compare?

5. Have you read any other Matt Haig books, and if so what did you think of them?

1 - Yes, I think it's reasonably convincing (but note the caveat below).

2 - Why did he never bump into anyone else whom he admired at the time and whose disappearance from history he deplores? On balance I did find it rather irritating.

3 - Oh Lord, if that's all the profit he has from several hundred years of living then Heaven help him!

4 - This is something of a commonplace in myth and story, from Tithonus down to the present day. Huxley had a bash at it too (After Many a Summer whose title explicitly references the Tithonus story) and even Garth in the Daily Mirror went there in the 1950s.

5 - No, but it's quite an interesting read.

BUT are we really supposed to believe that Tom is a reliable narrator? There are enough (deliberate??) historical and linguistic bloopers in the story to make me ask whether he is, in fact, not totally deluded, and that we the readers are supposed to take this on board - in much the same way that Swift warns us that Gulliver is an unreliable narrator by the repeated Master Bates joke in the first two pages of the Travels.

Glad I read it, though!

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Posts: 509 | From: Tregaron | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. I was more engrossed than I expected. I loved being taken back and forth throughout history and watching the life of Tom, and those he loved, unfold before me.

2. Endearing. The stories made me feel like I was there with them and rounded out the characters of those I've only judged on their works or achievements. Who is to know if Shakespeare didn't let some young lovers escape one performance? I liked thinking about it.

3.The "in every moment you can see another one" resonated more strongly. I found this aspect of the book quite appealing and engaging, and found myself pondering connections between events in my life.

4. & 5. This is my first of both. Will not be my last.

Thank you for such an engaging book.

Posts: 7763 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016