homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Ship speculation (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ship speculation
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
And all quotations will be required to be from the KJB.

Given that most KJV supporters have never actually read the thing, that means I can make any quote I want, and claim it is from there. As long as it is in weird and elitist language.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18841 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
And all quotations will be required to be from the KJB.

Given that most KJV supporters have never actually read the thing, that means I can make any quote I want, and claim it is from there. As long as it is in weird and elitist language.
Most people cannot tell which quotations are from the KJV and which are from Shakespeare. I believe there are on-line quizzes, which many people fail miserably.

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9803 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Put Shakespeare, BCP, Revised Version and KJV and I suspect few will be 100% accurate in getting the KJV. A lot of the older KJVers mean "the Bible of the church I attended in my youth" which they assume was the KJV and was often the RV.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20887 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
aliehs
Shipmate
# 18878

- Posted      Profile for aliehs   Author's homepage   Email aliehs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the same with the Book of Common Prayer. I have lost track of the versions that I have encountered and used; the prayers I absorbed through osmosis in my childhood, are all changed , so I can't even say the Creed anymore without checking[ Nicene]. Or worse, the Lord's Prayer.
I have a BCP printed in 1806, wherein we pray for King George, Queen Charlotte, and Prince George, plus the rest of the Royal family.It also contains services for the celebration of the apprehension of Guy Fawkes, the Martyrdom of King Charles I, and the Restoration of Charles II.
I do miss using it .

--------------------
Now I see through a glass darkly. Maybe I should clean my specs.
sld2A

Posts: 136 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2017  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I don't read the Nicene Creed from the BCP, I will, unfailingly, say, "For the remission of sins." (Why would they get rid of a great word like "remission" but keep "trespasses" and "lead us not into temptation" in the Lord's Prayer?)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15085 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or, we could add to the canon by having a Simpsons Bible. Would that improve accessibility? [Razz]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8032 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's also the Pirate Creed.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Overused]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I’ve challenged myself to reach 13,000 posts before we jump ship.

See you in the circus! [Razz]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13004 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

I'm nearly at 8,000. It's quite fun dipping in and out of threads.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Jacobson - I think 8000 (you next big milestone) might be a challenge.

A challenge, yes, SC. But as you see, it is achieved. Time for a sustaining cup of coffee.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Something a little odd there - 8,000 on two posts?

Anyway, mission accomplished. Coffee.

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done jacobsen!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9310 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a date - 28th February - woooohooo!

I’ll be at work at 5pm so I can’t be part of the initial rush. Probably a good thing, I get nervous in big crowds [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13004 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

This is such good news!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016