homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » We don't value craftmanship anymore! (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: We don't value craftmanship anymore!
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
JediJudy did suggest I started a craft thread in early January, so this is the slow response. The title is a quotation:
quote:
We don't value craftsmanship anymore! All we value is ruthless efficiency, and I say we deny our own humanity that way! Without appreciation for grace and beauty, there's no pleasure in creating things and no pleasure in having them! Our lives are made drearier, rather than richer! How can a person take pride in his work when skill and care are considered luxuries! We're not machines! We have a human need for craftsmanship!”
― Bill Watterson, There's Treasure Everywhere: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection

The last few weeks have been very crafty - making clothes for my daughter. She's currently finishing a pair of trousers in dark purple cord having made a hooded sweatshirt in purple and green (purple lining, dark green outer layer) and orange t-shirt. I'm finishing the third sweatshirt / jumper I've made for her. This one is out of grey sweat-shirting and blue velour (because there wasn't enough velour to make a top). The last two were out of stretch towelling, bright orange and lime green. I've also made pattern weights (out of the tiny bits of left over lime green stretch towelling), a t-shirt in orange cotton knit, yellow pyjama bottoms (go with the orange t-shirt and lime green sweatshirt to make a pyjamas set), several bags for games and a knitted hat. My daughter has been making muslin shirts to try out the pattern blocks she's drawing.

We're making clothes as most clothes manufacturers are using viscose mixes and we're both allergic to viscose (and wool, nylon and modal), so finding anything at the moment is getting interesting. Patterns are either coming from clothes we like that fit, but blocks will make them fit better.

Part of the reason for starting this thread was to offer 3m of 150cm black cotton suiting fabric, 1m cut out into a pair of size 14 (pattern sizing, not shop sizing) trousers, plus zip and pattern to anyone who wants it. It has a whiff of cannabis, which wouldn't be a problem if it didn't give my daughter anaphylaxis symptoms. If anyone is interested, please pm me.

Has anyone else embarked on major crafting projects?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just took the tattered lining out of a favorite coat, used the pieces as a pattern, and made a new and quite jazzier lining for it.

Also I resewed the fringe onto the altar frontal. This is a vast brocade tablecloth, probably eight feet by ten and heavy as original sin. I had to move my sewing machine to the dining room so as to have a table large enough to support the mass of it. However, to go twice around the edge was not terribly difficult -- a fast and dirty solution that will carry the frontal for another fifteen years or so.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've not been doing much craft recently as I have a lot of DIY but am finding it difficult as I have some amazing fabrics waiting to be sewn up and a new over-locker to try out, I keep telling myself that I will enjoy sewing much more in a nicely decorated room with a carpet on the floor.

On Saturday I gave into temptation and started cutting squares from old jeans to make a denim quilt

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a bit of a tangent, I'm afraid, but relating to the thread's title.
There seemed to be a sudden avalanche of craft magazines about 30 years ago. Previous to that, it was really difficult to find interesting patterns.
I have a theory that people got tired of everything being mass produced and it was a backlash. Suddenly, hand made was cool.
Looking at it from the spiritual point of view, our God is a creator, and if we are made in His image, then we have a desire to be creative too.
On a different note, I've nearly finished a large "virus shawl meets granny square" shawl for my daughter in law, and I'm doing a virus shawl for myself!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Virus shawl? Are you in quarantine, by any chance?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Has anyone else embarked on major crafting projects?
Well...I'm adapting a small electric motor to run a power feed on a milling machine which is itself a forced marriage of a pillar drill and a redundant 3 axis table. The motor came from a dead exercise treadmill, and the project has involved some bronze casting which would more obviously count as craft if it was sculptural [Smile]

quote:
Looking at it from the spiritual point of view, our God is a creator, and if we are made in His image, then we have a desire to be creative too.

Amen!

(I asked ages ago on one of these threads about sewing seams for a tent flysheet. I've still not done it - every time I approach a sewing machine, I leave it with my tail between my legs).

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
M in M: this sounds crazy, and thoroughly worthwhile. Picture or 2 would be cool.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I started knitting squares to use up my wool stash, while I was watching TV or listening to the radio. I had the vague idea I'd make a blanket from them.
Then I saw an idea on the web - it's really easy to make a cute rabbit out of a square of knitting.
I took the first two I made to Stitch and Bitch last night, and everyone thought they were adorable!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MinM: know how you feel. I swear sewing machines used to break themselves when they saw me coming. Even the old Singer hand machine.

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
I started knitting squares to use up my wool stash, while I was watching TV or listening to the radio. I had the vague idea I'd make a blanket from them.
Then I saw an idea on the web - it's really easy to make a cute rabbit out of a square of knitting.
I took the first two I made to Stitch and Bitch last night, and everyone thought they were adorable!

Link please!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
=Excellent.= And Easter is coming; the need for bunnies will be very great!

--------------------

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
this sounds crazy, and thoroughly worthwhile. Picture or 2 would be cool.
Well, it passes the time [Smile] Here's a thread on another forum - the power feed bits might get added it a couple of days. Pictures start half way down page 2.

--------------------
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone into wirework jewellery? And able to recommend a good introduction to basic techniques?

I have a vast number of now redundant* earrings that I want to convert to pendants or necklaces.

*it’s not that I’ve lost my ears, just grown my hair.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not craft work in the sense of being creative, but a Good Friend is very well-versed in the Art of Mendology.

He can repair and restore to working order all manner of things, and recently rebuilt for me an aged stool (about 60 years old) which was given to me by My Old Nanna when Ah wor a lad of 7.

Much usage over the past few years had knackered the legs and joints (the stool's, not mine...well, them too, perhaps), but Mac The Mender has pinned and glued it all back together, almost as good as new, scarfing in one or two replacement bits of wood where necessary, cleaning the whole, and revarnishing.

Now, that's what I regard as a form of craftsmanship!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Mending is indeed an art. It's rare now for instance to hear of people darning a sock.

--------------------

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

Hey, I darn socks and jumpers, and mend my kids' school clothes. I go for strength...repairs are not exactly invisible [Smile] Actually, they don't mind embroidery and these days when they get around to it they're pretty neat with it. I need to get them to sew their own repairs.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Mending is indeed an art. It's rare now for instance to hear of people darning a sock.

I am not hard on socks, but my handknits which are all I wear in sock department, are darned. Last year I pulled a thread in an old much loved pair.. Off it came, out came darning needle and it was mended staright away.

My grandmother taught me many years ago.

As to children’s clothes, my sons used to love appliques stitched over holes. That was when they were small and a cat or a beach ball or similar reinfporced the knees of trousers etc.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn’t pay nearly as much attention to my mom’s domestic skills as I should have, but I am grateful that I listened when she taught me how to mend socks. (Fabric not so much.)

My craft stash has been sitting in a closet collecting dust since our move to temporary digs. I have a knitted dish towel , 2/3 done, that I put down in frustration after messing up the pattern several rows before and not knowing how to fix it. I might just unravel the entire thing as therapy and start over. I also have a huge stash of embroidery floss, all sorted by color, that’s been unused for years — my eye problems made it difficult to do fine work until fairly recently — but that I might like to start working with again.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My local British Heart Foundation has a second hand furniture store. Recently I bought an armchair and reupholstered it - piping and all. The piping is a bit dodgy, as my cheapo domestic sewing machine really isn't up to multiple layers of upholstery fabric, so much of that was done by hand. My fingertips will never be the same again! However, despite flaws, the chair has attracted some compliments. But that's it for upholstery in the forseeable future.

[ 03. February 2018, 09:44: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the people who like bunnies, try
www.studioknitsf.com/how-to-knit-a-bunny-from-a-square-for-easter/

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

quote:
My local British Heart Foundation has a second hand furniture store. Recently I bought an armchair and reupholstered it - piping and all. The piping is a bit dodgy, as my cheapo domestic sewing machine really isn't up to multiple layers of upholstery fabric, so much of that was done by hand. My fingertips will never be the same again! However, despite flaws, the chair has attracted some compliments. But that's it for upholstery in the forseeable future.
Wow, that sounds like a considerable achievement. I was hoping to upholster a pair of seats for a saloon sidecar (!) - but I've only got so far as to skin several dead leather sofas I've found in the street, and nick the springs. Sewing several layers sounds tough, though a friend of mine with an industrial machine owes me one...

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
mark--

Is that a sidecar for a motorcycle?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mark: most interesting and impressive.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have made a cape with my sewing machine.

Matching the checks was a bugger but it was the warmest fabric available at a bargainous price.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

Wow, lined and everything! No way I could make something with a pattern and get it to line up.

Yes, it's a sidecar for a motorcycle. If I ever finish it, it'll look like this, but it's a wreck.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

OMG, Mark, that would be spectacular. Vie, capes are cool! And very good for slinging over a bulky form. Or you could do the Batman thing, standing in a stiff breeze brooding over the city while the wind whips the thing out behind you. (I am almost done knitting this baby blanket, which will go out into the mail to you before month's end.)

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mark, that looks superb. We don't see many motorbikes with side cars here.

The bunny pattern looks interesting. I wonder if the knitter always colour co-ordinates her nail polish and her wool.

I am stitching a small picture of a unicorn for a friends birthday card. I wish I'd chosen a lighter coloured fabric, but it is looking OK. Fortunately his birthday isn't until the end of March so I can afford to take a break as the backstitching is rather boring.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sidecar looks amazing mark, and la vie en rouge's cape is beautiful, nice and cosy

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
As to children’s clothes, my sons used to love appliques stitched over holes. That was when they were small and a cat or a beach ball or similar reinforced the knees of trousers etc.

I'm in the middle of making those applique patches to tidy up a pair of fashionably distressed jeans. I offered flowers - how I kept jeans attractive when I used to drip acid down them in the lab - but that was spurned, so currently this pair is sporting a ladybird, diving beetle, most of a spider and web across a back pocket. They will also include a bee and butterfly. My daughter bought them as cheap (£5), and patched them with denim, but those patches had picked up the smell of cannabis (like everything else) but the jeans were OK, so, as we were running out of clothes and not impressed by the previous patching job, I'm working on the basis that if the patches have to be obvious, then they are going to be decorative.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Some years ago I knitted my multicoloured* Fair-Isle-in-chunky-yarn sweater for a friend. Following his demise it has come back to me and my self-appointed task is now to turn it into a zip-up cardi for a much smaller friend. It can be done, but takes thought. Don't want to overdo the reductions...

*I like to get +/-30 shades into each garment. The result, together with the much thicker yarn, is sort of Scandinavian.

--------------------

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kitten:
I've not been doing much craft recently as I have a lot of DIY but am finding it difficult as I have some amazing fabrics waiting to be sewn up and a new over-locker to try out, I keep telling myself that I will enjoy sewing much more in a nicely decorated room with a carpet on the floor.

On Saturday I gave into temptation and started cutting squares from old jeans to make a denim quilt

The quilt was finished on Saturday, It is a denim rag quilt backed with flannel. My hand is now rather sore from scissoring all the seams

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
Some years ago I knitted my multicoloured* Fair-Isle-in-chunky-yarn sweater for a friend. Following his demise it has come back to me and my self-appointed task is now to turn it into a zip-up cardi for a much smaller friend. It can be done, but takes thought. Don't want to overdo the reductions...

Oh, that should be a fine project. Is it pure wool? If so it'll never unravel and you'll be able to manipulate it almost like fabric! Are you going to use a chunky jacket zipper?

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Mostly wool mixes, BC, but with a chunky zipper. I've just removed the sleeves and am taking them in slightly. Yes, the intended recipient is much less bulky than the original!

Time I learned how to upload photos!

--------------------

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

Fixing overalls, heavy orange cotton, almost canvas. Machine tension all over the place, balling up on the rear side, lots of frustration turning to anger as I leave the machine feeling like a tit, again.

12 yr old daughter. 'Hmm, that sounds like a pride problem. Why do you think you ought to be good at everything you have a go at?'

Sore when it comes back atcha [Smile]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

It could be the machine - my machine will sew denim jeans, my daughter's won't. Also check you've cleaned the machine properly: for one project recently my sewing machine wasn't happy until I'd done more cleaning than in the handbook. The other thing that's been a problem lately was the bobbin case - the tension screw kept falling out.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also check that the needle is properly aligned and screwed in. I had a similar problem some years ago and using a new needle fixed it.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

And pull out the spool of thread, and carefully rethread the entire thing. Just missing one of the tension loops will cause all the problems you describe. Be sure there are no torn bits of thread trapped in the works, particularly down where the bobbin is.

--------------------

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

You're all very kind. So I'll clean it, and...

small loops underneath means top thread is not pulling up tight onto bobbin thread, means increase top tension...right?

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

In theory, but I was getting a similar result when the machine needed cleaning, the bobbin case needed replacing and/or the needle needed replacing.

I do also check tension on a scrap of fabric and change the needle before I start a new garment.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once took the tattered seat cover off the driver's seat of a tattered Honda Accord, and using the old pieces as a pattern, crafted a new one out of an old pair of bluejeans. But that was years ago.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
You're all very kind. So I'll clean it, and...

small loops underneath means top thread is not pulling up tight onto bobbin thread, means increase top tension...right?

Experiment. Thread tension is an eldritch craft which only the Devil and his minions understand.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you using the thread you’re accustomed to feed it? This may not be the optimal one for the purpose. Ditto the needle. (I know, One Thread and One Needle ought to sew everything from tulle to carpet, but modern machines are fussy).
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am that rare thing a male paper crafted. Using mainly stamps. I make cards and have done a count me of scrapbooks, but no scrapbooking anymore I mak videos instead.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The other notion, for the sewing machine, is to google for a fix. Put the name of your machine plus 'thread tension problems' into the search window. The manufacturer has surely addressed the issue with a list of troubleshooting tips, because we've all had this problem.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
The other notion, for the sewing machine,

I get it!

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
mark_in_manchester

How old is the machine?

I use an old Singer treadle machine and had a similar problem with thread tension, followed all the advice I was given and got nowhere.

Then elderly friend pointed out the bleedin obvious: which was that if its loops underneath then the problem isn't with the tension of the top thread, its with the bobbin: so either the thread on the bobbin is wound on too loosely or there is a screw you can use underneath to set the tension at which the bobbin thread is fed through.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

It's not such an old one. I'll have to talk to the missus, who bought it - but she's hard to enthuse regarding my rather pointless projects of recycling old shite. Well, there are rather a lot of them (the projects), I guess.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

This thread is great as it has moved beyond mostly knitting etc. I am a knitter but also sew using Husqvarna. No sewing for ages however.

Unfortunately, my knitting enthusiasm has gone walkabout, possibly due to extremely hot , humid summer. I have lovely new yarn waiting for my Durrow shawl, but have disciplined myself to catch up on what I ripped out of my ten stitch blanket because of a stupid mistake..

Autumn must be not too far away, I hope. Enthusiasm will return. The last week or so has been enough to dampen any enthusiasmm.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

It is OK to switch off to other projects. Gives the muse a little variety in her diet.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm involved in a craft group at our church.
It started when a very wise friend said she felt God was telling her to start a group. That started well, but numbers dropped off until we were invited to join with the Ladies' Mental Health group, run by the Parent Network.
We've had 3 or 4 people with learning difficulties join - they come with their support workers, who.also enjoy coming.
For the last couple of months, we've had a lady from an Arts project come in, and we've done all sorts of things, including wet felting and willow weaving. She's with us until Easter.
It's great fun and we've all become friends. It's "surprising" how often the Christians in the group are able to support the others or talk about their faith....

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I signed up for an oil painting class -- I have not painted in oils since I was a teenager. My classmates are of all ages, from teen to retiree. I am amazed at how many of them are like me, wildly over-creative. An architect who is taking a break from redesigning office buildings; an elderly lady who is expert at at least fifteen other decorative arts; a woman who makes a living reading for audio-book companies. There are an awful lot of us around!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016