homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The game that batters: the rugby thread (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The game that batters: the rugby thread
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tukai:
Two other reasons why NZ are so hard to beat are:
(1) They nearly always make you pay for your mistakes.
and (2) they never give up and are still running strongly until the final whistle has sounded- not just the hooter. Witness the win they "stole" from Australia last month with a try just as the hooter sounded.

More seriously though (than my previous) I thought one thing stood out in the ABs performance, and that was their ability to adapt. It seemed to me that they came out with a different game approach after half time, shutting down some of the things England were doing well (not least their kick offs). Then when the rain came they adapted more rapidly than England, keeping the ball close, shutting down any risks of slippery passes. Finally, when they were down to fourteen - even before the card came out, McCaw seemed to be calling in a new strategy, and potential gaps immediately closed.

Against Scotland I would imagine Dan the Man will get a lot of game time. I hope they bring Ben Smith into fullback - I'm not convinced Israel Dagg is firing on all cylinders, and I think Ben Smith has some outstanding abilities to attack from deep defensive positions. Conrad Smith has gone home but Ryan Crotty will bring some pretty serious talent to the midfield. Sonny Bill is warming to the task at last - he's never completely convinced me before, but this time round is looking like an All Black.

And then there's Savea. [Overused]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18774 | From: scarily close to 40° | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rejoice, Rejoice!

Wales beat the 'Boks.

Not a brilliant game. We need to be more clinical and get the ball over the try line but a WIN nonetheless.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4686 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A scrappy and bitty game with SA playing rather negatively, I thought ('jump on them and then kick for distance', and a rather finicky referee who seemed to get very worked up about fairly minor knock-ons (knocks-on?) but didn't appear to be too bothered about the odd tackle at throat height.
But still- we won! (Also journey from my seat back to new flat took literally five minutes!)

[ 29. November 2014, 21:27: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6460 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rejoice indeed. The BBC website says 'gutsy' Wales and that had a lot to do with it. They fronted up to the 'Boks.

Moreover, Wales did it without emptying the bench. They brought on just one substitute, Scott Williams, which must have maintained cohesion and morale compared to some games that get very loose from the hour mark. I wonder if other sides will now look at this?

Oh, and England didn't do so badly either. Our forwards look good, and Lawes did a lot of good things without giving too many pens away; we just need judgment and penetration in midfield.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24011 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Albertus
quote:
journey from my seat back to new flat took literally five minutes!
Cathedral Road, Albertus?

I've always hankered after a flat in one of the blocks beside the Arms Park...

Son #1 said the atmosphere was very tense in the last 5 minutes but is now feeling much more relaxed, if the sound of drunken singing and breaking glass in the background when he just called is anything to go by [Snigger]

--------------------

Posts: 4686 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<bump> for Bath's performance at Toulouse where they won! Not only did they win but they did so by 35-15.

The only sour note was some football-style "simulation" by Yoann Huget. It was almost enough to make one hope he gets stuck at the bottom of a ruck, ideally against the All Blacks.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone apart from me disapointed that Steffon Armitage isn't in the England Six Nations squad announced today?

Call me old fashioned but I think you pick your best players and if there is a better English Flanker in the game at the moment then I've yet to see them.

To be honest, come the world cup if we don't win or come very close, then people are going to be pointing fingers not only at Stuart Lancaster, but the ERB as well.

It would have been better to include SA, tell him the jersey is yours to grab so show us what you can do in the six nations. If he does great, if he doesn't then Easter, Morgan - if he recovers in time of course - etc will step up and nobody can point fingers.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I'm disappointed too, as Armitage has overshadowed players from the Southern hemisphere and France in all the club tournaments.

The only problem is that he's playing at no 8 right now, presumably because he does the scrum work better than the far taller men who play on the flank (SA is only 5'9", Toulon's regular flanker's are both 6'5"). That would IMHO make him a candidate for England's no 8 position where Morgan is out and Billy Vunipola, while a wrecking ball in broken play, isn't so good in the tight and no one, apart from possibly Julian Salvi of Leicester, is as good at ruck-ball turnovers.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Looks like some hopefuls will get a game against Wales next month as quite a few of England's first-choice players got injured in the European Championship matches over the weekend.

It worked out pretty well for the clubs though. Four English teams through to the quarter-finals (very good), although they are up against three French teams plus Leinster, all away from home (not so good).

Come on Wales! Where are the regional teams?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Farrell is out. Cips to start against Wales? Hope so.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by deano:
Farrell is out. Cips to start against Wales? Hope so.

Wales would love Danny Cipriani to start against them. He's tougher than he was, but I'm certain that Wales will send any number of runners down the no 10 channel, and their entire three-quarter line enjoy contact.

With Farrell out I'd rather have have Steven Mylor in the 23, because he's more suited to England's strengths.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are there actually fifteen fit rugby players left in England at the mo?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3547 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Are there actually fifteen fit rugby players left in England at the mo?

AG

From memory there were never fifteen fit players on any Wednesday through the season. By Friday, things may have changed.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

As of this morning England have 23 fit rugby players so the match is on. Rumour had it that Martin Johnson was doing circuits to provide some backup if the second-riow crisis got much worse!

How do shipmates think the matches will go? This weekends games are:

Wales v England (tonight)
Italy v Ireland (Saturday)
France v Scotland (Saturday)

I take Wales to win, partly because of England's injuries but mostly because it's in Cardiff. Ireland, despite retirements and injuries ought to be too good for Italy but Scotland just might do the job against France, who are vulnerable early in the tournament and also because, by tradition, everyone in the team is loathed by at least one other player, even if it's only by club affiliation.

[ 06. February 2015, 12:32: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't it a wonderful morning to be an Englishman?!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes.

That was genuinely unexpected.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1402 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bloody awful morning to be Welsh, though, or at least Welsh in rugby nationality. What a shower. They had the whole nation behind them, this is the most important game of the year in many ways, they were expected to win, they took an early lead- and then they just couldn't get it together. And now all the Tims and Roddys and Ruperts and their vacuously adoring white-jerseyed blonde girlfriends are having- deservedly- a good old laugh at us.

I don't know what was sizzling in Gatland's frying pan this morning but it should have been 15 pairs of bollocks. I am thinking of supporting France for the rest of the tournament.

Posts: 6460 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

It was a Very Good Evening indeed! England's rookie midfield was first rate and Wales three-quarters, all of them bigger and more experienced achieved virtually nothing all day. Warren Gatland is plain, dead wrong to put the defeat down to "Individual errors" - England changed their tactics at half-time and Wales didn't respond, which is a coaching & leadership issue.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

My house is in mourning.

The sons are distraught, going around the house muttering: 'What on earth happened?' and 'Pam y duwiau o rygbi wedi gadael ni?' (Have the gods of rugby cast us out?).

--------------------

deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
My house is in mourning.

The sons are distraught, going around the house muttering: 'What on earth happened?' and 'Pam y duwiau o rygbi wedi gadael ni?' (Have the gods of rugby cast us out?).

A) you were beaten by the England B team
B) Yes. Very much so.

It was the roof that did for you of course.

Hee....

[ 07. February 2015, 14:36: Message edited by: deano ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by deano:
quote:
My house is in mourning.

A) you were beaten by the England B team
B) Yes. Very much so.

It was the roof that did for you of course.

Hee....

Some of the incomers, like Kruis, Ford and Joseph are going to take some shifting.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

After fairly close games at the weekend (Ireland won by 23 points, but their tries were both scored when Italy were a man down), news comes of this match in Belgium.

Embarrassing all round.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

I've just seen a try awarded to England when an Italian player had the ball when it touched the ground...

And the fourth official was meant to stop these f**k-ups!

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, even as an Englishman I thought that should never have been given.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fuck me, who writes Cipriani's scripts?

Incidentally, I agree about that try - very surprised to see it given.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3547 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Fuck me, who writes Cipriani's scripts?

George Ford, he's set things up nicely for him.
quote:

Incidentally, I agree about that try - very surprised to see it given.

AG

Me too. Overall everything changed with England winning a penalty after Brown was carried off. I think the ref altered his view of the game then!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I thought Twelvetrees was excellent, and he came on at that time. But Italy seemed to give up in the last half hour. Disappointing, really.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Agree with you about Twelvetrees, he did well against Wales in just a few minutes too. Jonny May had a patchy game - does anyone think Joseph may stay on the wing in his place?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Not a convincing Welsh performance but still, we won.

Think the English will have to tighten things up considerably before they meeting the Irish.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Not a convincing Welsh performance but still, we won.

Think the English will have to tighten things up considerably before they meeting the Irish.

Yes to the first and emphatically yes to the second. Our line defence was pretty shabby at times and we missed tackles. Moreover Ireland won't throw 11 points away like Italy did.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Is the dog OK?

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Is the dog OK?

AG

I see that it was described as a "Slight domestic incident". I'm not sure Castro' can be involve in a slight anything.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Least of all ending in that many stitches!

Adrian

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Go on, who would be a rugby ref? I can see why George Clancy made the critical decision he did at the end of the Scotland v Italy match but oh, it's tough and the margins are so tight.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

C'mon Wales! All of England hopes that you can beat Ireland on March 14th in Cardiff.

That's another way of saying that Ireland were way better than England and must be wondering how they only won the game by ten points.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Really disappointed with England's performance against Ireland. Fair play to Ireland, they outplayed us in almost every area of the game and deserved their win. I'm only glad they didn't win it by the margin they deserved!

I think we can probably expect some changes now players are returning from injuries.

In the pack I think we'll see one of Atwood and Cruis making way for Courtney Lawes. Atwood gave away too many penalties, and what was up with the lineout? I'd also like to see someone coming in for James Haskell - again, gave away too many penalties (that was his fault of old).

I think Lancaster will stick with George Ford at half back, and I think that's the right move. Youngs looked off the boil at SH - really need him or Danny Care back to their best, otherwise Wigglesworth or even Joe Simpson will end up pushing their way in.

Three quarters I'm not sure we've got quite right yet. I wonder if Lancaster will a Twelvetrees/Joseph combo a go? I like Burrell as a player (I support Northampton after all) but think Twelvetrees might just edge him.

Back three - if Brown is fit he walks straight back in at FB. I prefer Nowell to May on the wing. Still not convinced about the selections at wing, though. Can't Ashton (or even Banahan) rediscover some of their form please?!

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Can't help but agree with you. Attwood & Kruis, especially the latter, have done well, but Haskell is a liability, especially compared to Wood who is nearly as good as Richard Hill. Ideally we need Lawes back with Parling to run the line-out.

I don't think our centres did much wrong against Ireland: their defence was superb and Watson & Nowell did all they could. Goode simply wasn't.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Did no one else watch the matches this weekend?

Thought we were a lot better against the Irish - yes, slightly lucky with the last penalty decision but before that our defence was magnificent. For those who would have preferred a more open game, so would I: but the stakes were too high for that and, to be blunt, I'm amazed there wasn't a serious brawl before the end.

England played efficiently but, God, they're dull to watch: if only the Scots had some defence and more stamina they'd be a far more entertaining prospect. As it is, they showed in the first half some real flair as a team which one hopes can be built on in time for the World Cup.

As for the match between Italy and France, I thought Eddie Butler summed it up beautifully on the Beeb when he said it was a dreadful day in Rome and left the listener to decide whether he was referring to the weather (which was appalling) or what was happening in the Stadio Olimpico.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

How can you say that England were efficient but dull? In the first quarter, and sporadically at other times England they were exactly the opposite. They were exciting, but woefully inefficient! Had they been efficient then the score would have been about 19-0 after fifteen minutes and we would have put fifty points on them (estimates range from five to six utterly butchered try-scoring chances). I reckon we have gifted the title to Ireland, again.

I'm also amazed that Wales v Ireland didn't turn into an allinscrap, but doubt the Welsh would have had the energy for it - their defence was awesome and legal too!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Will the real France finally show up this weekend and ruin England's six nations? If they are as bad as they have been at times this season then I think England can still pull it off. I'm not counting on it though.
Posts: 2795 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

The real France consists of a decent scrum (though Kayser really ought to start) and a capable back three. Elsewhere they are pretty clueless, especially the coaching staff.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

So, any last-minute predictions on how the Six Nations is going to finish today? Ireland are in the box seat, surely?!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I thought Wales would win in Rome, but their second half, even with that last-gasp Italian reply gives them a serious chance of the title.

I make them favourite now, so all my coworkers will be happy on Monday.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Just pray that Dan Biggar's failure to tackle doesn't cost us the championship...

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Oh well, looks like Wales won't win it after all. Ireland have thrashed Scotland, who weren't much better than Italy, so England's main hope must be that France are as generous as Italy and Scotland.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bloody hell, that was an astonishing day of rugby. There were so many small moments that seemingly conspired to grant Ireland their barely-deserved win. Stuart Hogg's drop gave them the points advantage and the wrongful awarding of the French try (the one where the guy had a foot out of play and dropped it) turned out to be pivotal.

Entertaining, but ultimately heartbreaking and frustrating. [Waterworks]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3708 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Actually the French guy didn't have his foot in touch before the ball was down - there were at least 4 replays that showed that. As for control of the ball - his hand was on it when it touched the ground so the try was awarded.

Look, the English played well but the French also started to come good; and don't forget the 9 points (3 conversions and a penalty) the French gave away because Plisson was having an off day.

Plus Lawes should have been at least yellow carded for the high spear tackle on Plisson.

Ireland are champions - yes, the Scots could have put up a better show of it but they didn't.

--------------------

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Actually the French guy didn't have his foot in touch before the ball was down - there were at least 4 replays that showed that. As for control of the ball - his hand was on it when it touched the ground so the try was awarded.

I agree with this, and I am an an England supporter. I am still breathless. I watched 160 minutes of rugby and saw 170 points scored (I missed that dull, low-scoring Scotland-Ireland game).

What I want to know is why don't England, Ireland and Wales always play like they need to win by 20 points or more. Can't they just pretend they need to win by a huge margin?

[ 21. March 2015, 20:18: Message edited by: Jonah the Whale ]

Posts: 2795 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
Plus Lawes should have been at least yellow carded for the high spear tackle on Plisson.

It wasn't high and it wasn't a spear tackle, but apart from that, you're spot on.

If you want to make a case for a yellow card for being late then you would have more chance. You'd still be wrong, but you would be closer to being right! [Smile]

But at the end of the day, England scored enough points to win it. They just turned the ball over and forgot to tackle once or twice too often and gifted France too many points. Too bad.

Thoroughly entertaining day though.

[Edited for code. [Hot and Hormonal] ]

[ 21. March 2015, 20:20: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I'd like to add a word for the referees who, on an utterly chaotic day made far fewer errors than the players.

Noted too that Nigel Owens was ref for the England - France match, Steve Walsh having retired: there are mixed messages about how much notice Steve Walsh gave, but communication wasn't the best point of his refereeing either.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016