homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The game that batters: the rugby thread (Page 16)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The game that batters: the rugby thread
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
I'm in the USA at the moment, but mine hosts agreed to a pay per view and I introduced them to a level of carnage that made US football look tender.

It was the sweetest ABs game since one of their 50+ annihilations of OZ some years back. They're back.

More than anything it was relentness. Once New Zealand got their foot on France's throat they didn't lift it. Savea's try just before half-time was actually a better illustration of power than Jonah Lomu's smashing his way through England's defence in 1995. Milner-Skudder's was a thing of beauty and I hope he's fit for the next match. Credit to France for not rolling over in the hope that the ref would stop the fight but how on earth do you play a side that is so comfortable with ball in hand from 1 to 23?

The third QF is coming up - Ireland v Argentina. Let's see if at least one Northern Hemisphere team can make the semi-finals.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given the level of Schadenfreude dished out to the English last week, I must say I'm quite enjoying this weekend. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The NH teams have got to accept that positional skills, power and passion are not enough. We're being stuffed by teams that play 15-man rugby, and it isn't just New Zealand.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, that goes down with the Flodden and Culloden in the list of national tragedies. But given the practice Scotland have had, I expect we'll get as much fun out of commemorating it as if we'd won.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bunch of mutants, Aus & NZ. Our own fault (us & the French) for testing our nukes down there years ago.

[ 18. October 2015, 16:50: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Cruel that. At least Scotland can hold their heads high.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe it's because the ball spins in the other direction below the Equator?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps, to ease the traffic in Middlesex (OK, West London) they should play the last few matches somewhere the other side of the Line.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow! never expected that from the Ireland game [Confused]

As for the Scots? Bravo ! Made the Wallabies dig deep. Even had me shouting for joy when Scotland intercepted and went under the posts in the 75th min.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just hope they carry that through to the Home Internationals - win the Calcutta cup f'instance and all will be forgiven.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yea and amen, Firenze. To borrow an expression from The Other Sort Of Football, we was robbed.

[Waterworks]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I have to say I (as an Englishman) am not particularly hopeful about the next Calcutta Cup match! Hats off to the Scots, they deserved to beat Oz and were very unfortunate with the ref (who sprinted off the field!!). I think the improvement in Scotland's play, more than anything else almost, shows the importance of having a really top head coach in place. England suits take note...

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iamchristianhearmeroar:
... England suits take note...

Just not until after the next Calcutta Cup ... [Devil]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there's every likelihood of that happening. I have a nasty feeling that the current England coaching setup may be exonerated and remain in place - if that happens my prediction is that England will suffer their worst Six Nations for a long time, after which the coaching team will walk. Back to the drawing board. Again.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
I think there's every likelihood of that happening. I have a nasty feeling that the current England coaching setup may be exonerated and remain in place - if that happens my prediction is that England will suffer their worst Six Nations for a long time, after which the coaching team will walk. Back to the drawing board. Again.

Provided that the backroom coaches go (walk, run or planked) I'll be content. Stuart Lancaster and most of the players deserve to be there, though the forwards need to toughen up. If England don't acquire a bit of 'dog' from somewhere we'll be bullied out of the championship. Someone like Dave Ewers of Exeter might be useful.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd stick with Lancaster I think - he's a decent chap and it is his team which is going to come good in 4 years time - if anything this was just a bit early. There was a chap in The Rugby Paper the other week saying that the final kick in the teeth is likely to be 2019 in Japan when someone else does very well with a team that Lancaster identified, assembled and grew.

However, I'm pleased to note the absence from the England fall-out review panel of the hitherto teflon Mr R. Andrew. I was beginning to think old Will Carling may have had a point.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It's now official: we was robbed.

--------------------

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

It was a rubbish decision, made at an absolutely crucial stage of the game and, yes, it cost Scotland the match and a well-deserved place in the semifinals.

Having watched back the replays of that moment, I have a more major concern than the "mistake". If you try to pause this at around 18.5 seconds you can see Joubert's arm going up to indicate the penalty *before* Jon Welsh has even caught the ball!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:

Having watched back the replays of that moment, I have a more major concern than the "mistake". If you try to pause this at around 18.5 seconds you can see Joubert's arm going up to indicate the penalty *before* Jon Welsh has even caught the ball!

Had it been cricket one would be wondering ....

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

Well, I wonder if he was considering awarding a scrum for the knock on - arm coming up to signal that as the ball squirts forward. But then it was the Aussies calling for it that made him give the penalty.

All seems a bit strange to me.

He has previous of course.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Bunch of mutants, Aus & NZ. Our own fault (us & the French) for testing our nukes down there years ago.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

sadly I fear I won't be able to watch the ABs v Boks from downtown Chicago .... but I'll try to find a way

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

It'll be X certificate stuff between the Boks and the ABs. I reckon the Boks know they will have to cut the supply of ball at source, so it will be a brutal game. Not at all suitable for those of a nervous disposition.

[ 22. October 2015, 21:57: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, that's me alas. Best I watch the Chicago Blue sox or someone.

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

Don't want to put in a spoiler for anyone yet to watch. Other than to say it was a good, hard, and tight match.

Another wet Twickers, always a nice leveller.

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sat watching it with a couple of Kiwis. It was 8am here, so no chance of a few beers to calm the nerves.

Not a great match in terms of exciting play, but a thunderous game by two sides, neither of whom were willing to give an inch.

The best side won (just), but those last 10 minutes were enough to turn anyone's hair grey.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was it just me or did both the tries come from forward passes?
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Jonah the Whale:
Was it just me or did both the tries come from forward passes?

The second was very lateral indeed. I'm always struck by the enthusiasm with which referees penalise knock-ons compared with the way forward passes are overlooked.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, agreed. That first one was described as a basketball pass, and I thought "yes, in more ways than one". But it was understandable because it was Richie McCaw and we realise that he can't be penalized. I didn't know that extended to forward passes though. Still, NZ were the better team and deserved to get through so those tries helped them overcome the penalty lottery which S.A. won.

I just re-read this post and it sounds really cynical. Actually I enjoyed the game, though I would describe it as intense rather than entertaining.

Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the risk of getting egg all over my face, I'm pleased to see that Nigel Owens is going to be in charge of the RWC final. Of all the international referees, he seems to have a wonderful balance of grasp of the rules and humour.

Its also great news for equality: I only hope he doesn't get any more of the disgraceful homophobic abuse that has, in the past, seemed to be a Twickenham speciality when he referees.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to watch the game tonight together with a South African friend. I don't know much about rugby, but I'm going to cheer a lot [Smile]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Believe it or not there's rugby tonight! In England the Aviva Premiership has got going in earnest a little earlier than expected while there's the third place showdown at London's Olympic Stadium between South Africa and Argentina.

South Africa must be favourites but Argentina will go for everything, and with their back three I don't blame them! I only hope they are little more careful than against Australia whom they gifted three tries (an interception, one for limp defence and another from an iffy yellow card).

Most of the better Argentinians will still be around in 2019, including their excellent young locks, so with their involvement in the Rugby Championship, and the Super Twelve participation to come, they will be a match for anyone. I can see the Six Nations struggling to make the semi-finals again.

eta: L'organist makes good points there. Twickenham can be a nasty place. I remember Chris Oti being booed by some, and he was playing for England and had scored three tries.

[ 30. October 2015, 12:09: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Heh, even the South Africans congratulated the Argentinian with that last minute try.
I enjoyed that.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Not such a great game, but the attitude of the Boks at the end did them a lot of credit.

Quite an array of 'Boks are retiring or at any rate won't be at the next World Cup, but I don't expect them to be any weaker.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Half time, All Blacks significantly the better team. Uphill task for Aussie now.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Good final, with a fair result.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed. The first half was pretty much one way traffic, but the second was a cracker.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Well done the Kiwis. [Smile]

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I thought the yellow card was a bit harsh, and it was really that which let the Aussies back into the game.

--------------------
Brian Clough

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

The Aussies were having big troubles winning their own line-out ball which put them under a lot of unnecessary pressure.
Even without that the A.Bs looked the better side from the start. It did get exciting when there was 7 points in it towards the end.

2015 will rightly go down as a good and entertaining tournament overall.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
The Aussies were having big troubles winning their own line-out ball which put them under a lot of unnecessary pressure.
Even without that the A.Bs looked the better side from the start. It did get exciting when there was 7 points in it towards the end.

2015 will rightly go down as a good and entertaining tournament overall.

Seconded. Away from the final stages which had some high-class and very intense rugby, some of the second-tier nations have really stepped up which improves the whole competition. Japan especially were unlucky not to make the final stages.

It doesn't really come much better and the Six Nations have a lot to learn.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

England beat New Zealand!

(for those who can't view this video coverage on the BBC site it's a Rugby League international. Still England and still NZ though)

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

Bye bye Sam Burgess...

Honestly, the England rugby setup should be ashamed of themselves for this alone.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To be scrupulously fair, it was always likely to happen, with brothers, mother and fiancee all in Melbourne.

Where it all became more likely was with Bath seeming unable to decide where to play him - first unsettling cock-up.

Then no one had the wit to advise him to turn down the invitation to join the England squad - second cock-up.

Finally, no one seemed able to get through to Stuart Lancaster that Burgess was out of his depth - although if SL had any sense at all he wouldn't have even considered him for England duty.

Anyone heard how the whitewash (sorry, "review") into England's RWC fiasco is going?

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have just returned to the internet after a few weeks in rugby-mad Fiji, where plenty gathered at 3 or 4am to watch the semis and the final matches on TV. (All matches were free to air in Fiji, with the government making a special decree to override the more limited rights "awarded" by the IRB to pay TV!).

Unlike in 2011, the general view was that (unlike in 2011) Fiji played well but were undone by the draw. However there was a feeling of schadenfreude that England (held responsible as hosts for the draw) got what they deserved from "rigging" the draw. Is there any other other sporting tournament with the seeding based on form of 3 years ago?

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Not really news, is it?

Overall I think Lancaster has done a decent job but he'll forever be remembered for England's performance in the World Cup. I expect the whole of the coaching team (and the financial tipster aka kitman) to go too.

As for the players, it will be quicker to name those who will remain rather than those who will go.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Shocking news from New Zealand about the untimely death of Jonah Lomu. [Votive]
When you consider how short his career he made a huge impact on the game, and continued to be a wonderful ambassador for rugby when his playing days came to an end. A great loss for the game both in NZ and worldwide.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Yeah, we're all pretty gutted downunda ...

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Yeah, we're all pretty gutted downunda ...

You're not the only ones. I doubt anyone ever disliked Jonah Lomu (quite a few feared him, but that's different), he always came over as a really nice, modest guy but he actually changed the game of rugby. Before Lomu there had been big wingers and quick ones. I don't think anyone had ever been so big and so quick. Now every side wants a big, quick wing-threequarter.

RIP Jonah Lomu, you'll not be forgotten.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

Really sad news about Jonah. A real superstar and by all accounts a very nice person as well.

So...it's Eddie Jones for England...

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I can understand Eddie Jones wanting a more confrontational captain for England but Dylan Hartley?

He has all the skills but plays in a red mist most of the time. I feel that Joe Launchbury is probably too nice a chap to be captain but how can anyone captain a team when they are off the field? I'd like to see Mike Brown given the job. He never lets the side or the supporters down.

As far as Robshaw is concerned, if he is considered as a blind-side he's had it. There are just too many better #6s around: Haskell and Wood are the obvious ones plus plenty of alternatives, like Dave Ewers and Matt Garvey. There is still a shortage of open-sides once one goes beyond Matt Kvesic - unless Jones pushes the limits to select Steffon Armitage!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016