homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The game that batters: the rugby thread (Page 17)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The game that batters: the rugby thread
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like you, SS, I'm amazed at talk of Dylan Hartley being captain material. His bans over the past 8 years add up to more than a year:
  • Spring 2007 26 weeks for dangerous tackles (had been 30 weeks, reduced by 4 weeks because of his “good character, inexperience and youth”)
  • March 2012 8 weeks biting Stephen Ferris in a 6 Nations match
  • December 2012 2 weeks punching Rory Best in a Cup match
  • May 2013 11 weeks twice warned by Wayne Barnes for verbal abuse, he called the ref a cheat and was sent off
  • December 2014 3 weeks elbowing Matt Smith
  • May 2015 4 weeks head-butting Jamie George

Moreover, rather than learning from experience and calming down a bit, he seems to be getting worse.

Its not just a question of can he captain from off the pitch, but what sort of example is he to the younger players England should be bringing on for the next RWC?

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, with the Six Nations about to start predictions etc?

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, for a start Hartley makes it to match one, half-time before getting carded. Jamie George comes on and shows what he's worth. Mike Brown gets the captaincy.

Not sure what will go on in detail but I reckon Wales have a chance of a Grand Slam. If not then France v England, the last match, could have a basketball score like last year.

[ 28. January 2016, 13:56: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And now the pain really starts. I've just seen Eddie Jones first England teaam and here it is:

Mike Brown; Anthony Watson, Jonathan Joseph, Owen Farrell, Jack Nowell; George Ford, Danny Care;

Joe Marler, Dylan Hartley (captain), Dan Cole, Joe Launchbury, George Kruis, Chris Robshaw, James Haskell, Billy Vunipola.

The most radical step has been to swap Robshaw andd Haskell round, but apart from the Burgess debacle, what has changed since the World Cup?

No one truly "new" has come in, and it's not like there isn't talent out there.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing that gets me with England squads is that the whole doesn't seem to match the sum of the parts!

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I guess us England fans are in a position we never really thought we'd be after the first round - top of the table!

Jones's selection for Scotland seemed pretty conservative. Will be interesting to see if he mixes things up against Italy.

Farrell at 12 was the biggest negative for me. He's not a 12 (at least not a modern 12). If he's there because Ford's kicking can't be trusted, then Ford shouldn't be there.

Oh, and Haskell at open side. He's not a 6.

Biggest positive was that Billy Vunipola lasted the 80 minutes and looked like he's stepped up a gear.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What - Monday already and no one with anything on the start of the RBS 6 Nations??? OK, my thoughts, FWIW:

England - Did no better than they might have been expected to do under Lancaster, completely according to the form book, even to the display of petluance by Owen Farrell.

Scotland - It wouldn't have been a massive upset if they'd won, so they should take heart and look at beating France and Italy at the very least.

Italy - Must be in despair because they deserved to win, but have no chance until they get a reliable kicker.

France - Seem to be getting back to how they were in the 1970s: either brilliant or dreadful and frequently a combination of the two in the same match.

Ireland - Solid and with good skills; I can't see any of the other teams causing them a major headache, with the possible exception of the French, if they're on form.

Wales - Solid and the defence is very good; the loss of Biggar so soon is a major worry but Priestland is up to the job. Gatland is unhappy but likely to get a bit more out of the backs next time out.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

I beat you by 3 minutes!

Afraid I don't agree with your assessment of Scotland v England. Scots were more settled than the English, home advantage, much better form coming out of the WC, and they blew several opportunities to take that match. Don't think I'd be taking heart if I were Vern Cotter. I'd be furious! Oh, and Farrell needs to grow up fast...

The tournament is between Wales and Ireland realistically. Who can do best against the English at Twickenham may decide it between them.

(I'm still holding out for the English to sneak in 2nd, but let's see!)

--------------------

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll come late to the party as always..

England - I sort of agree with commentators who have suggested that the squaring of the Ford-Farrell circle is to pick them both if in doubt.

Having said that, Farrell's radar was well off on Saturday. Not sure we've got a 7 worth the number either.

That game went as expected really, dire bore-fest with England pretty magnificent in defending against anything thrown at them.

So much for the new era, that could have been an England performance from anytime since about 1972, and as an England fan I'm more than acquainted with grinding out dull victories.

Scotland - I've been saying since the beginning of last year that there's a good team there struggling to spark. I'm not going to get too excited by their performance at the world cup given who they actually had to play, but overall they still somehow seem to be less than the sum of their parts. If and when they do click, they could be a sturdy mid-table rather than competitors for the wooden spoon.

France - I don't agree that they've regressed to the France of old, I think they're visibly trying to be England, and it's inhibiting the natural way they've usually played rugby as a nation. If they carry on like this then they're going to be in trouble.

Italy, on the other hand, *are* actually playing like the France of old - flinging the ball around with abandon and going for some audacious play. It doesn't always come off of course, but they really are a shining beacon of team spirit, belief, and courage outweighing shortcomings (as noted upthread, they are hampered by lack of a top flight kicker).

I was gutted for them on Saturday. On their day, not exaggerating to say they're currently the most entertaining northern hemisphere side to watch IMO, and it wouldn't surprise me if they're actually most peoples' second team these days.

Wales V Ireland - I'll be completely honest that it's the only match I didn't see.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Provoked by that, I have to own up that England aren't blessed with options at #10. Ford is out of form, Farrell is marginal and I doubt Eddie Jones has the bottle to pick Cipriani. Of the 25 Devoto is probably the best #10!

As for the forwards Hartley is a shoo-in, Mako Vunipola was so much better than Marler he has to start and I'd give Cole a start because he is so much better with Hartley alongside. Then again, most tight-heads are.

In the back row I'd be brave, chose Itoje over Robshaw (he's a proper ball-winner, despite being 6'6") although in the longer term he's a lock forward. Kruis really ought to start although Lawes extra weight will be useful against Italy. At least the lineout ought to go well with them.

Meanwhile, Scotland are doomed until they find a good #10. England have enough strength elsewhere but Scotland just don't.

[ 11. February 2016, 11:38: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
have all the rugby fans shuffled off??

I've been watching England since the mid/late 1980s. In all that time I've become used to the boredom and tedium as they ruthlessly, efficiently grind out results. Never flair, never excitement just brutal effort to more often than not chalk up a W.

Yesterday was quite literally the worst England performance I have ever seen.

On a bright note, the last try was lovely. Difficult to knock Joseph for reliably poaching the other three, but poaching was what they came from.

Other than that, the breakdown was dreadful, they got turned over more times than I've ever seen in a match before, and the lineout was mostly appalling. The scoreline does not reflect another game performance by the Italians, and I can't say that the Irish, French and Welsh will have seen anything to worry them unduly. Big improvements needed.

OTOH, at least Moseley won.

--------------------

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I agree, that was the worst thirty-point win ever. The turning point was when Lawes and Canna went off. Lawes had played a stinker, giving up more ball and penalties away than anyone while Canna was playing beautifully and he didn't appear to be injured or worn out. Shame his goal kicking isn't better.

There's going to be a lot of lineout practice over the next two weeks, focusing on the calls and supporting jumpers.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Now the Six Nations starts in earnest. Wales have le big one, against France. Wales have a good record against France so at home should deal with it. For one thing, Dan Lydiate is back and he provides a very physical presence.

Scotland meanwhile are desperate for a win. On the one hand they were unlucky through last year's campaign and unjustly lost to Australia in the World Cup but ain't that just the way things go?

For England however the waiting is over. the first of the bigger boys is there although it is at Twickers and Ireland are depleted. That doesn't mean England will win at a canter or even win at all for Ireland are still Irish and will give you a good shoeing (strictly within the laws of the game of course). It could get a bit tasty, then we will find out whether England's fit, fast and strong forwards have that bit of "dog" about them that gains a rugby player respect* from his opponents.

*I suppose I mean fear. Yes, what will prevent Jamie Heaslip from chinning Maro Itoje at the first opportunity?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

The first half was awful: nervy, niggling and safety-first at all odds.

I'm not sure what Mr Gatland said at half-time but it seemed to do the trick: heads were up when the teams came back and the Welsh seemed more purposeful. George North's try, while including an element of luck, was still wonderful and the entire team defended like trojans.

Bearing in mind we were also playing the referee (Wayne Barnes doesn't mind which team he aids so long as he can give a decision against Wales) I think it was a decent result.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
The first half was awful: nervy, niggling and safety-first at all odds.

I'm not sure what Mr Gatland said at half-time but it seemed to do the trick: heads were up when the teams came back and the Welsh seemed more purposeful. George North's try, while including an element of luck, was still wonderful and the entire team defended like trojans.

Bearing in mind we were also playing the referee (Wayne Barnes doesn't mind which team he aids so long as he can give a decision against Wales) I think it was a decent result.

Barnes did Wales no favours yesterday, but he didn't help the game as a whole. As a referee I think he is past it.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It wasn't a particularly entertaining game, it seemed to be mainly scrums and defense, very little running, a few nail biting moments when the French were right up to the try line, but nothing really memorable. It was the right result though - ok, I know I'm going to be biased, but Wales were the better team.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

In the Wooden Spoon match in Rome you would have thought Scotland had won the Six Nations, if not a Grand Slam. Good to see a smile on their faces at last.

After respectable if unsuccessful performances against France and England Italy were woeful when they were not in possession. Even their scrum misfired and they missed way too many tackles.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't want to put a spoiler in for anyone yet to watch. Cracking good match though, England v Ireland .

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm not sure what Mr Gatland said at half-time but it seemed to do the trick:

He probably said nothing, just came round with 15 cups of very strong coffee. Wales woke up for the second half, fading before the final whistle/hooter when the caffeine rush wore off.

I could be wrong though.

For those thinking yesterday was the wooden spoon decider, you could be wrong, the next round in Dublin could be that. How embarrassing is that for last years winners?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Taking a break from the internationals, some medics have suggested/appealled for a ban on tackling and scrums in school rugby.

I reckon they have a very good point. Rugby is a technical game, moreso than soccer but you have to be comfortable with contact, which for all but a few will mean contact with people bigger and faster than you are. The most serious problem is that if players aren't comfortaable with contact then they will get in the wrong position for tackles and the like.

It might be worth mentioning that in the entirely amateur American Football as played in Britain, all football for under 18's is non-contact "flag" football. Adult gridiron here is fully-kitted and you can hear the hits from quite a way off. It's not quite the NFL, but it demands technique and comfort with contact.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Well - that was a game of four quarters!
What the hell were we up to for the first hour - apart from gifting the English 18 points, that is?
Still, good to see that even as they lift the Triple Crown they do so in the knowledge that we out-scored England by 3 tries to 1.
We'll be back to get our trophy next year England.

--------------------

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:

Still, good to see that even as they lift the Triple Crown they do so in the knowledge that we out-scored England by 3 tries to 1.

that knowledge and the knowledge that Wales don't seem to have many answers when playing a team of 15 players...

--------------------

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

actually, I forgot eye gouging - that appears to be a Welsh answer to playing against 15 men. Oh to be a fly on the wall when the citing committee sit...

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking good for England but blimey that was hell of a last gasp effort by Wales.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Feckin' Nora - Scotland win in some style, and could finish second if they can get past Ireland! I have had to chain the Knotweed to an anvil to stop her floating away!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Yipee]

I love it when the little guy wins, especially if the little guy is Scotland. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy for England, winning, hoping for the grand slam, but it's still a win and a long time coming.
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

Saturday felt like very sweet revenge for being dumped out of the WC by Wales last year. Bring on Le Crunch!

It does the English disservice to say that Wales "gifted" 18 points. (England gifted 21 points??) OK, a few of your guys had a bad day at the office on Saturday, but many of the Welsh mistakes came from English pressure.

Oh, and I don't think any English supporters will worry for one second that Wales outscored us by three tries to one. Never been an English concern.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

From the Grand Slump to a Grand Slam is quite a turnaround, in just six months and many of the players are the same. The style of play isn't so different but the attitude has changed out of all recognition, so thanks Eddie Jones and the coaching team.

It isn't perfect but a Grand Slam with a team that is improving rather than one already at the top is a good result.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's a promising squad with a very good coach. Let's see how they do against a Southern Hemisphere team.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...and Hartley survives unscathed! Somewhat literally, given that ten minutes from time it looked as though he could have broken his neck, but has come through the tournament without a booking.

Could this be his redemption? Or could it all go mammaries skyward yet?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
That's a promising squad with a very good coach. Let's see how they do against a Southern Hemisphere team.

I'm sure there will be some embarrassments against them, especially the All Blacks, but it's going to be in those games where, for example, we find out whether Ford is up to the mark as a #10 (he's not been on form all season) and how Itoje responds to the rough stuff.

Eddie Jones's trickiest task is to manage the inevitable changes to the team, because there are going to be plenty! Come the next World Cup I reckon ten of today's starters won't be anywhere near the team.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

Sioni, would be interested to know which five of the starters will still be around for the next RWC and which ten will not.

Here's my pen'orth:

Brown - not sure. Think he'll be eclipsed by 2019
Watson - starts in the RWC
Joseph - torn over this one. With Tuilagi and Slade in the mix, Joseph might miss out.
Farrell - won't start at 12! Might start at 10...
Nowell - less likely to start than Watson. Think we'll see others coming through, or coming back into contention.
Ford - depends if we see a return to previous form
Care - bench?

M Vunipola - won't start. There'll be a new, young gun here. Bench?
Hartley - Jamie George will start. Bench?
Cole - Again, think there'll be a newer face here. Bench?
Itoje - starts in the RWC
Kruis - starts in the RWC
Robshaw - not sure. May well lose out to a younger gun.
Haskell - won't start in the RWC. We'll have a #7 by then.
B Vunipola - starts in the RWC

So if I were to pick five definite starters from Saturday's XV it would be Itoje, Kruis, Vunipola, Watson and Farrell/Ford.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Having read your analysis I reckon only four will make it for sure, plus Farrell who is likely to stay as a Wilkinson-like kicker and defender. Ford isn't reliable enough in those areas. Tuilagi and Slade is a dream ticket. Watson will be there, probably at full-back.

The back row will be interesting as there are almost too many options. Nathan Hughes will be available soon, plus the lump that is Dave Ewers and there are a few candidates for the openside like Clifford, Luke Wallace a Will Fraser. Billy might have to be in form to get a game!

I seriously wonder if Lawes will be in the squad if players like Josh Beaumont develop.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

How about promotion and relegation between the Six Nations and the European Nations Cup? This has been proposed in the past but as Bernard Lapasset and Lynn Howells mention, teams like Romania and Georgia won't progress unless they have incentives and opportunities.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

This isn't the "battering" form of the game but congratulations to Kenya which has won its first World Rugby Sevens tournament.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the England Women's team won their World Sevens as well!

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

On the other side of the game, Jonathan Davies who can be relied on to shoot straight from the lip, reckons the Italian sides should leave the Pro12 tournament. This is the competition for the Welsh, Irish and Scottish regions plus the top two Italian sides. They aren't doing well, about as well as Newport Gwent Dragons most years, and until recently they were no worse than Connacht, traditionally the weakest Irish province, but if you look at the record of Welsh clubs and regions in the Heineken (now European Champions) Cup, where's the justification for their participation in that? Over twenty years the Welsh have managed to reach just the very first final and they lost that.

Worse still, Davies suggests the Italians should play French sides! That's daft, because if they play good French sides, like the Top 14, they will be murdered (it's brutal) and they play others Italian rugby won't progress.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

while the winter code is sleeping, anyone else on here a closet (or not so closet) League fan?

SuperLeague this season is all over the place - it might just be the most entertaining top flight in northern hemisphere sport this year (with due apology to Leicester City).

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I've not takn much notice of SuperLeague for years. At times it looks like a more crowded version of sevens, which isn't a bad thing!

It's the semi-finals of the Avia Premiership tomorrow. Saracens are at home to Leicester while Exeter host Wasps.

I've had a look at the teams and reckon Saracens ought to win. They have home advantage, a better starting XV and their bench is full of players who could easily start. Leicester's starting XV is good but their bench isn't in the same league, so Sarries ought to pull away in the last quarter, unless Leicester provoke Ashton and Farrell, which isn't out of the question.

Exeter came so close to beating Wasps in the European Championship six weeks ago so home advantage ought to see them through now, but this match is a lot closer. It's a battle of the back rows I think!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

No surprises in the semi-finals but there was some good rugby. A higher standard of rugby by more clubs (and different clubs) has been a contributor to England's Six Nations success.

What do you think of Eddie Jones' selection for the Australia tour? On the one hand he has made selections from way out in the left-field (Ben Te'o and Ellis Genge), a prop who is a so-so scrummager (Kyle Sinckler), the persistently injured Manu Tuilagi and retained Ford and Lawes who aren't in any kind of form. At least there's the hope of ball winning in the backrow with Clifford and Harrison but I do wonder what Matt Kvesic has done wrong.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

What do you think of Eddie Jones' selection for the Australia tour? On the one hand he has made selections from way out in the left-field (Ben Te'o and Ellis Genge), a prop who is a so-so scrummager (Kyle Sinckler), the persistently injured Manu Tuilagi and retained Ford and Lawes who aren't in any kind of form. At least there's the hope of ball winning in the backrow with Clifford and Harrison but I do wonder what Matt Kvesic has done wrong.

I'm going to England v Wales on Sunday, so might make my mind up on the selections after that...

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Eddie Jones reckons that Chris Ashton "must fix parts of his game" to get a recall and this would appear to summarise them nicely.

Let's hope he thinks again. There might be a place for him back in the 13-a-side game.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Second leg of the Championship playoff final tonight. Bristol hold a 28-13 lead after the first leg in Doncaster. Eighty minutes of intelligent, precise rugby and the mighty Bris are back where they belong. Let's get this done boys: C'mon Bris!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
Second leg of the Championship playoff final tonight. Bristol hold a 28-13 lead after the first leg in Doncaster. Eighty minutes of intelligent, precise rugby and the mighty Bris are back where they belong. Let's get this done boys: C'mon Bris!

I hope so too. This is Bristol's fifth attempt at promotion via the play-offs in seven seasons. Three times out of four previous attempts they have lost to sides who have come straight back down and I hope they come up and stay awhile so we get Bath, Bristol & Gloucester fighting out a battle within a battle in the Premiership (note: some of this will be "post-watershed viewing" because there's a lot of history between these clubs).

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

It's like you read my facebook post on the matter before the first leg. Such a proud history in the westcountry. Bristol need to be in the Prem. But I'm biased of course. [Smile]

Half time, 16-10 on the night, 44-23 on aggregate. Forty minutes to go. Donny are going to throw everything at this. Anything could happen. It's so tense and I'm really really nervous!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

An absolutely bonkers second half saw tries flying in at both ends and two sin bins. But somehow, despite massive pressure from Doncaster, we managed to keep our heads and not throw it away. A big factor was our fly half who didn't miss a single kick all night - amazing considering he's still only 20!

So now, the Premiership beckons. Bath, Gloucester: We're coming for you.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

A warm welcome back to the top tier for Brizzle. I fear for them however as last season's Aviva Premiership was a tough one and even London Irish, who were well adrift at the end and went down, weren't a bad side by any means. If anything they had some players a year or two past their best and others not quite ready.

If Bristol are going to stay up they will have to be at least on par with Worcester and Newcastle, so they will have to acquire some experience and talent.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
Such a proud history in the westcountry. Bristol need to be in the Prem. But I'm biased of course. [Smile]

There are several teams that *need* to be in the Prem - to Bristol you could add Mose and Cov.

The difference between the three - who had comparable crowds and grassroots structures throughout amateurism, is that when all of them managed to go pop trying to keep up with carpetbaggers post 1995, only one has managed to get lucky with a billionaire to repair the damage.

Look at Mose and Cov, Bris fans - that's where you'd be without Mr Lansdowne's largesse. Rebuilding slowly with your pocket money and the widow's mite, with your crowds down to last loyal thousand from the 14,000 or so you got in the heydey.

I'm please for Bris, but hate what money has done to the sport in the last 20 years. Bris have got intrinsic worth, and a heritage that should put them at the top of the sport, but that's not why they're going there and fans shouldn't kid themselves that it is. It's one man's deep pockets.

Fans of Mose, Cov, Club, Fylde, Wharfedale etc will have to continue to console themselves with their heritage.

"Such a proud history in" all those places, they all *need* to be in the Prem.

But I'm biased of course.

Love the clubs, increasingly hate the sport and what it now stands for.

[ 26. May 2016, 10:19: Message edited by: betjemaniac ]

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Lol, okay then. If you say so.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016