homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The game that batters: the rugby thread (Page 21)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The game that batters: the rugby thread
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was one hell of a game, and I think the loss of SBW mattered a lot in the end because the All Blacks led by 18-9 with 20 minutes to go. Playing a man down must have made a difference as I don't recall the ABs losing from a lead in the last quarter, let alone a nine-point one.

SBWs red, Mako's yellow (which must have been a very deep shade of orange) Sinckler outburst at the end and others were all indicators that there was an awful lot of commitment around, but most of it was legitimate. Rugby wouldn't be the same without a bit of intimidation, and the Lions aren't afraid any more.

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They might not be afraid any more, but I think we saw enough today to say that if the ABs keep 15 men on the park and kick their goals, they'll be the winners next week.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
3c8CH9
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Well I was wrong. It was a game to the max - but only because the Lions didn't keep their cool for the remainder of the first half. They should have capitalised 12 points in that period. Then the ABs outplayed them for 20 minutes in the second. But with 14 if the Lions got their heads straight it was always going to ve a tough call. No complaints about the call on SBW, either. It was apiece of league brutality, a brain explosion which he does have occasionally. As it happens the last AB to be red carded was Colin Meads (now seriously ill) so he's in good company -0 buy the '67 ABs went on to win with 14.

Vunipola back in his city of birth had rocks in his head. My man Itoje went from hero to zero and back but on the whole showed what a talent he is.

The ABs will win next week but the Lions can be proud. And as for thier fans, the NZ populace have fallen in love!

Yep, Lions did their best to lose it and ref did his best to help.
When I played what they call 'cleaning' now was tackling players minus the ball. Vunipola deserved his card as he tried to take out ABs best back on the ground.and SBW did too.. what a turkey!

ABs now have selection probs in backs so don't write off Lions next week. Think of the changes from a very short time ago. no Fekitoa,no Savea and now no Crotty no SBW or Ben Smith. Whereas Lions backs are coming good. Don't know why Teo was not on their bench.
I hope they give Damian McKenzie a run.

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:
quote:
Well I was wrong. It was a game to the max - but only because the Lions didn't keep their cool for the remainder of the first half. They should have capitalised 12 points in that period. Then the ABs outplayed them for 20 minutes in the second. But with 14 if the Lions got their heads straight it was always going to ve a tough call. No complaints about the call on SBW, either. It was apiece of league brutality, a brain explosion which he does have occasionally. As it happens the last AB to be red carded was Colin Meads (now seriously ill) so he's in good company -0 buy the '67 ABs went on to win with 14.

Vunipola back in his city of birth had rocks in his head. My man Itoje went from hero to zero and back but on the whole showed what a talent he is.

The ABs will win next week but the Lions can be proud. And as for thier fans, the NZ populace have fallen in love!

Yep, Lions did their best to lose it and ref did his best to help.
When I played what they call 'cleaning' now was tackling players minus the ball. Vunipola deserved his card as he tried to take out ABs best back on the ground.and SBW did too.. what a turkey!

ABs now have selection probs in backs so don't write off Lions next week. Think of the changes from a very short time ago. no Fekitoa,no Savea and now no Crotty no SBW or Ben Smith. Whereas Lions backs are coming good. Don't know why Teo was not on their bench.
I hope Hansen gives Damian McKenzie a run.

[ 01. July 2017, 21:40: Message edited by: Jamat ]

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Ah, "cleaning".

Way back when I was new to the game (and "Pinetree" was still playing) our rugby teacher who played to regional level in England at wing-forward told us that anyone in contact with a ruck or maul can be "cleared out" and you can do that by pushing him back off the ruck or maul. I'd be amazed if Buck Shelford and Jerry Collins wouldn't do it. Has the game changed?

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not entirely convinced by McKenzie at the next level ... had a shocker in the Māori ABs game, though it was a game in which he wasn't fullback and didn't get very good ball at first five. Fekitoa is back, Laumape is showing considerable talent. I'd like to see three Barretts out there!

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like I got my wishes though I doubt all three Barretts will be on at once. He's gone for youth. Id forgotten Rieko Ioane in the mix - which might be because so far he hasn't lived up to promise, though he will. Fekitoa is a scary reserve. Anton Lienert-Brown is all class, and Israel Dagg is a game-breaker. And I think there's some forwards there, too!

That said ... a youthful back line against the improved Lions is a big call. Should be a beauty.

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I can't help thinking that's a better backline for the All Blacks. Every chance that Te'o will be on at the 50 minute mark to shore up midfield and make a few dents and I don't expect Read to have two quiet games in a row.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Yeah. Jordie Barrett is if anything a better player than Beauden, so I doubt his nerves will be too exposed. Davies has a tough night at the office ahead of him. Aaron Smith's jaw won't stop flapping all night (really don't like a lot of half backs. I was one, albeit pretty useless). I can't see the Lions winning this but I'll be happy enough if they do.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Now that the Lions aren't afraid and have worked out a way to win a game I think the result will depend on the breakdown or to be more accurate, how much interference the referee allows. The ABs are efficient at this point but if the Lions a) don't turn it over as often as they did in the First test (twenty-three times!) and b)don't get pinged too much they have a chance.

I'm not putting any money on the L:ions though: the game is in Auckland and I'm beginning to wonder why any side agrees to play there twice in a series!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Now that the Lions aren't afraid and have worked out a way to win a game I think the result will depend on the breakdown or to be more accurate, how much interference the referee allows. The ABs are efficient at this point but if the Lions a) don't turn it over as often as they did in the First test (twenty-three times!) and b)don't get pinged too much they have a chance.

I'm not putting any money on the L:ions though: the game is in Auckland and I'm beginning to wonder why any side agrees to play there twice in a series!

Well, in Auckland it also looks like wet weather rugby. This means mistakes under the high ball so more of a lottery. Jordie Barrett is a newbie so a risk. So is Laumape. I think this one will come down to who wins the breakdown..and that will depend on the ref. Even more of a lottery. The French are possibly the most inconsistent stakeholders of the rugby world. This is a rare chance for the northern hemisphere style to triumph.

--------------------
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Jordie's been great under the high ball. Game on, but I think the ABs use of the bence will crush it.

Hope we get three Barretts.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Well well well

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

... and I got my three Barretts on the field at once, though I don't think Scott got to touch the ball

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I've heard a few suggestions that there should have been extra time to decide on a winner for the series, but I think that would be wrong. The Lions were underprepared, used the wrong plan and made selection errors in #, they had the man advantage in #2 and in #3 they made the yellow card count for just enough against a couple of tries. A draw is right.
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
quote:

Well, in Auckland it also looks like wet weather rugby. This means mistakes under the high ball so more of a lottery. Jordie Barrett is a newbie so a risk. So is Laumape. I think this one will come down to who wins the breakdown..and that will depend on the ref. Even more of a lottery. The French are possibly the most inconsistent stakeholders of the rugby world. This is a rare chance for the northern hemisphere style to triumph.
ABs 15 Lions 15. ABs had edge but not on scoreboard. Farrell is my player of the series. French ref..shrug. At least it was not Barnes. Someone must have cleaned up at the TAB.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I agree that the ABs had the edge - they scored two tries and should have had another. Farrell's well worth player of the series as he missed far fewer kicks at goal, especially at Wellington. At times the ABs looked fallible and error-prone, which says something for the Lions, and the much criticised Warren Gatland.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From neutral Australia, this looked to be a great match. And as a bloke watching (on TV) with me commented, "you'd never guess this mob [the Lions] came from the northern hemisphere; they are actually trying to run the ball".
That said, the ABs had slightly the better of the game, and would have won if they had seized all their opportunities as they usually so ruthlessly do. e.g. 2 missed kicks at goal, 1 dropped pass withe line open, and 1 try [rightly] disallowed for a forward pass. Though the Lions had a lot of the ball , inc from turnovers, they usually dropped it (under pressure, to be fair!) before that play became a real opportunity to score.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maro Itoje though. What a talent!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
Maro Itoje though. What a talent!

Not only a "talent". Talents get found out in rugby. Itoje has been outstanding at club and country level and was only "adequate" against the All Blacks because he was up against the best in the world. Barring injury he may get to return to New Zealand.

Furlong and Daly as first tourists impressed me too.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

That last non penalty.
News tonight seems to report a consensus that Poite made an error. The player caught the ball clearly then released it as soon as he realised what he'd done. This constitutes off side play not to be confused with accidental OS in which no volition is involved on the player's part.
ABs though and NZ rugby seem to have developed an entitlement mentality and surely it is good to see this dented. They had earlier chances to put the game away which they, uncharacteristically, did not take.

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

...And their defensive line was consistently offside, and they threw about a bazillion forward passes. So no, I'm not losing any sleep over that final call.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
...And their defensive line was consistently offside, and they threw about a bazillion forward passes. So no, I'm not losing any sleep over that final call.

Me neither.
Interestingly the confusion of rugby interpretation is well illustrated by that episode. Poitecould have:
Allowed play to continue playing advantage to NZ in which case they may possibly have scored a try.
Penalised Kieran Read for interference with a player in the air because he had no realistic way of winning a challenge for the ball
Penalised the Lions for OS which was what most refs would have done
Or do the most unlikely thing by second guessing himself and awarding the scrum which all agree was wrong.
Ah..'tis a very strange game!

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I suppose (no more) that he opted for the scrum as the "least impact" option. Might not be right but it's common enough.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Sorry about the silence ... frenetic since then ... the outcome was superb, the penalty far more complex than either side would admit, rugby the winner cliche cliche and fantastic all round. Great series and yes, a reminder to NZ that our boys in black ain't gods.

Except the Barretts, of course. Well the back line ones. Scott doesn't count.

And the interview I saw with Itoje shows he's a very intelligent, articulate young mad as well as an outstanding player. May he run many yards with a bladder in his hand.

[ 15. July 2017, 04:51: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Right, down this end of the world we are reaching the pointy end of the bizarre Super-However-Many-It-Is-Now comp, with the South African Lions team fronting up to the NZ Canterbury Crusaders for the final. Could be quite a battle.

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
Right, down this end of the world we are reaching the pointy end of the bizarre Super-However-Many-It-Is-Now comp, with the South African Lions team fronting up to the NZ Canterbury Crusaders for the final. Could be quite a battle.

Lions v Hurricanes
Boden Barrett was sin binned totally unjustifiably. A horrendous call that wrecked the game and the Hurricanes' chances. Is there any other sport where the rules and their interpretations are so contentious and randomly applied?

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
quote:

Lions v Hurricanes
Boden Barrett was sin binned totally unjustifiably. A horrendous call that wrecked the game and the Hurricanes' chances. Is there any other sport where the rules and their interpretations are so contentious and randomly applied?

His tackle was good, but he "moved out" so as to move the ball back to his own team. It might be common practice but it's a penalty anywhere and in the 22 usually a yellow card.

IANAR.

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
quote:
quote:

Lions v Hurricanes

His tackle was good, but he "moved out" so as to move the ball back to his own team. It might be common practice but it's a penalty anywhere and in the 22 usually a yellow card.

IANAR.

Well that is how Peyper saw it. After replays ISTM very obvious that the Lions tackled player shoved the ball into Barrett who was actually not trying to play it but making an effort to roll away. Still, only a game but one of the reasons the ref's calls are a lottery. It is a shame Peyper and all the officials are South African..not a good look.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Well that is how Peyper saw it. After replays ISTM very obvious that the Lions tackled player shoved the ball into Barrett who was actually not trying to play it but making an effort to roll away. Still, only a game but one of the reasons the ref's calls are a lottery. It is a shame Peyper and all the officials are South African..not a good look.

TBH, if I was playing nowadays there is no way the ball would have been rucked back to the attacking side, so I'd have got a ten-minute break too (and a few bruises).

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

I see Peyper is going to ref the final.
If the Crusaders win this one they will be indeed the best!

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

Nice wee touch for the Kids down under her in lil ol NZ.
Nigel Owens turned up to ref an under 15s final as a warm up for doing the All Blacksv Aussies on Sat.
Love it when these guys look after the kids.

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

NZ 57. SA 0
Boring.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

25-24 this time and wow. The 'Boks are back (again).

Oh look - the officials agreed with me: Malcolm Marks was named man of the match despite being on the losing side. Kitshoff had a massive game, as did the skipper Etzebeth and Serfontein ... just a mammoth struggle that coiuld have gone either way. A red card in the last six minutes didn't make much difference as it had to be a yellow at least under the laws. Crotty's try probably was the right call, but room for debate.

So the difference in the end was that the ABs had no stand-out players (though McKenzie was amazing)
All in all an invigorating start to the day and the universe in order at last but full-squad seamless depth. If the Boks continue to play like they did today then the battle for the World Cup will be amazing.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Oh dear, Gatland has thrown his toys out of the pram.

There were a few selection errors and I don't think he got everything right but Sean O'Brien and others should have paid some attention to other members of the coaching team, which was a pretty moderate assortment with little originality. I'd have taken Steve Borthwick as a line-out specialist but none of the others.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For only the second time in 19 matches, the Wobblies beat the All Blacks. Game was close, very intense and fast-moving , esp in the second half. Admittedly it was the last match in a dead rubber, but it does suggest that the Wobblies may win a few more matches on the NH tour at the end of the year.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So gallant Wales went down to the Wallabies. Handling errors and some poor discipline was our undoing - I've got to hope we sharpen up a bit before we take on the mighty ABs at the end of the month.

Thought there was some eccentric refereeing at the England-Argentina match: the sin-binning at the beginning really did look undeserved.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
So gallant Wales went down to the Wallabies. Handling errors and some poor discipline was our undoing - I've got to hope we sharpen up a bit before we take on the mighty ABs at the end of the month.

If Wales can sharpen up their defence and concede fewer turnovers they will be a real threat, especially if Jonathan Davies is OK. The idea of a ball-playing #12, like the Australasian second five-eighth, is gaining popularity so it looks like Jamie Roberts days could are over.
quote:

Thought there was some eccentric refereeing at the England-Argentina match: the sin-binning at the beginning really did look undeserved.

It should be a huge wake-up call to England who would have lost to a side with a decent goal kicker. The penalty count was not impressive. A good side works out what the ref is penalising and adjusts its game. There's no point whinging.
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loads of international rugby over the weekend. Germany beat Brazil, showing that they don't only play football. The biggest climbers in the world rankings when they come out tomorrow will be the Netherlands, up from 33rd to 28th in the world after thumping Moldova 7-59. Just thought you'd like to know.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wet and slippery conditions turned to England's advantage in the end. The 'magic ball' which didn’t go for touch helped too.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
Wet and slippery conditions turned to England's advantage in the end. The 'magic ball' which didn’t go for touch helped too.

FWIW England did get the benefit of decisions, notably yellow cards. England could have had one or two.

I don't think the decisions by the TMO regarding Australian "tries" were wrong, but I reckon the ref. asked the wrong question for the one that would have levelled the score with 15 minutes to go: that knocked the spirit out of Australia.

Oh, and my Welsh friends all reckon Georgia were unlucky.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

The ABs turned on their last reserves of mojo against poor Wales. 1953 seems a long time ago, and my sympathies were almost - almost - with Wales.

Meanwhile congratulations Scotland. [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Sam Cane should have been MoM, not Ioane. Bloody show-pony backs get all the glory [Roll Eyes]

Navidi was best of the plucky Welsh side.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The atmosphere in Cardiff yesterday was amazing and the singing in the stadium unbelievable.

Obviously, I'm gutted that the ABs won, but we put up a much better show. Still frustrating that with all the possession we had in the first half wasn't converted to more points.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
The atmosphere in Cardiff yesterday was amazing and the singing in the stadium unbelievable.

Obviously, I'm gutted that the ABs won, but we put up a much better show. Still frustrating that with all the possession we had in the first half wasn't converted to more points.

I think Scotland's performance against Australia got the crowd going - The Scots were magnificent and should be a real force in the Six Nations this year.

Wales were up against Old Fashioned Kiwi resilience. Just when you think you think your through, there's a last ditch tackle (like the one that bundled Hogg into touch against Scotland).

England aren't going to win the 6N unless they cut the penalty count down - way too many against Samoa. They are brilliant behind but they have to get the ball legitimately.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... The Scots were magnificent and should be a real force in the Six Nations ...

I do hope you're right! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
The ABs turned on their last reserves of mojo against poor Wales. 1953 seems a long time ago, and my sympathies were almost - almost - with Wales.

Meanwhile congratulations Scotland. [Yipee] [Yipee]

Seconded!
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

A generally good performance by Wales against South Africa, with the very recently qualified Hadleigh Parkes looking useful in the centre.

This Six Nations could be better than ever and England have an embarrassment of riches at lock and in the back row. There are some conundrums there such as where one plays Maro Itoje. TBH, I'd start him on the bench: partly because he isn't one of our best two locks (Lawes and Launchbury fill those slots), he gets penalised far too often (bad for a back row player) and he simply isn't in the form he was in when he broke into the England side.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Champions Cup group stages over and there are four French sides, two Irish, one English and for the first time in years, a Welsh team! I'm pleased to see Scarlets in as they have played some of the best rugby in the entire tournament. The English clubs have all been below par with Leicester and Northampton especially woeful. Exeter blew it at the last, losing to Glasgow.

One of the quarter-finals is Leinster v Saracens: On reputations that's probably equal to a final but it could be a walloping for Saracens.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Champions Cup group stages over and there are four French sides, two Irish, one English and for the first time in years, a Welsh team! I'm pleased to see Scarlets in as they have played some of the best rugby in the entire tournament. The English clubs have all been below par with Leicester and Northampton especially woeful. Exeter blew it at the last, losing to Glasgow.

One of the quarter-finals is Leinster v Saracens: On reputations that's probably equal to a final but it could be a walloping for Saracens.

2 seasons ago Moseley travelled to play Leinster in a pre-season friendly. Of course, we all assumed that, such is the disparity between the teams, we'd be playing some sort of Leinster A/Academy side. Leinster had other ideas. It was the full Leinster side, and the result wasn't pretty.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016