homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The game that batters: the rugby thread (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The game that batters: the rugby thread
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny S:
What are the odds of the entire AB side spontaneously combusting from the pressure of the WC build up?

There is significant historical precedent for choking in the final stages of the world cup, isn't there?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9058 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*bump*

As the opening game of the World Cup 2011 has been played, and I am eagerly awaiting the second match, it's time to bump this thread up!

I have my time zones all worked out, I have allowed for the daylight saving time change on 25 September, I have my Scotland Rugby shirt all washed and ready for wearing, I have my colleagues all prepared to allow for my insanity for the next few weeks or so - we support at least five different teams in my team at work.

I think I'm prepared.

--------------------
Blog has moved home.

Posts: 1728 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
England's games are all at stupid o'clock in the morning here, so I doubt I'll be watching any of the group stages. If they get through to the semis or the final then I'll make the effort. This is one downside to living on the wrong continent for Proper Sport™ [Biased]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9058 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Herrick
Shipmate
# 15226

- Posted      Profile for Herrick   Email Herrick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And there is an upside to living next door to the world cup venue, all games are at civilised times here. [Smile]

--------------------
A careless shoestring in whose tie
I see a wild civility

Posts: 1194 | From: NSW | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There have been five matches so far, none of them outstanding exhibitions of skill but the teams from any distance away have all looked pretty ordinary. England infringed at every opportunity (and Wlkinson couldn't have beaten a one-legged man at an arse-kicking contest), Scotland started brightly but didn't get back into the game until Romania took off their most inspiring and effective players, France were unconvincing until late on, which leaves New Zealand and Fiji.

So, in addition to watching rugby in the middle of the night, are some teams playing at that hour too?!?

--------------------
"We've spent more than a decade fighting jihadists, and the result is that those jihadists have changed the name of their group." (Paul Bibeau)

Posts: 20478 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grrrr, I'm so frustrated. I can get all the games (OK, it's Pay Per View, but I can still get them) but I don't have a DVR. My rugby buddy has a DVR but his satellite provider is only offering a few of the games (sadly also PPV) and I'm fairly sure that my husband would be less than thrilled about us watching the games live at my house at O'dark-thirty. The little ticker thing on the official web-site is so very less than satisfying [Frown]

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1357 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Italy - minor brain explosion at the penalty [Frown]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 17499 | From: on the leading edge | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Italy matched it for 30 mins but I think they're a gone-burger now ... brave effort

[ 11. September 2011, 04:05: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Or maybe not - 6-6 at 40 minutes!

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Blow-out - a point a minute

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

interestingly, I didn't really see much attack cohesion from the Italians while they were still in the game. Great defence - for one half. Then the Australians became a juggernaut.

[ 11. September 2011, 05:12: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Herrick
Shipmate
# 15226

- Posted      Profile for Herrick   Email Herrick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They were only playing Italy

--------------------
I see a wild civility

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Wales (I have audio only) making a decent fist of it at half time ...

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RWC is shaping up as per usual:

- Wales snatch defeat from the jaws of victory
- England grind out a sort of win
- Coaches (notably England's) complain about the ball
- New Zealand look OK, but with their no 10 injured could they be about to bottle it again?
- East European sides look as hard as nails, making us grateful the Cold War never got hot

Game of the tournament thus far this morning between Canada and Tonga, Canada winning by making fewer errors.

--------------------
"We've spent more than a decade fighting jihadists, and the result is that those jihadists have changed the name of their group." (Paul Bibeau)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Yeah, well done to Canada. Tonga aren't usually that terrible, right? So I think that's a decent win.

Also, the USA beat Russia this week. Probably not quite the same atmosphere as when the hockey teams play, but still...

--------------------
Brian Clough

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evidence of England last weekend refutes the myth that anyone in New Zealand who pulls on a black jersey automatically becomes stronger and faster. It seems this only applies to New Zealanders!

One comment I saw suggested that for anyone else to wear black on a rugby field in NZ was like a chick turning up to someone else's wedding in a white dress!

Meanwhile Fiji flags are flying on every car and shop in this country and 'Go Fiji Go!' T-shirts much in evidence as we await the big game against South Africa this evening. Custom here is watch it live on TV in a group gathered round a large bowl of kava. Looking forward to doing just this - and at a reasonable hour for once.

As a preview I'm a bit worried that SA's ace kicker Morne Steyn may have heard that in Fiji's first game, the Namibian 5/8 kicked 3 field goals in 6 minutes. We hope that the notoriously swirling wind inside the 'cake tin' at Wellington makes this hard even for Steyn.

--------------------
" If someone has the answers to all the questions, that is the proof that God is not with them" - Pope Francis

Posts: 347 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

And then there was Ireland [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I saw a guy walking through DC wearing an Aussie rugby shirt this morning (so after the game was played). I almost went over to congratulate him but didn't quite have the courage. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Herrick
Shipmate
# 15226

In the other code NZ beat melbourne [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
I see a wild civility

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Herrick:
In the other code NZ beat melbourne [Yipee] [Yipee]

Full-contact Basketball you mean?

--------------------

Herrick
Shipmate
# 15226

No, rugby league.

--------------------
I see a wild civility

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Way upthread, I reckoned ahead of the Cup that Samoa were the strongest of the island teams, and so it has proved, after they convincingly beat Fiji. They had Wales on the ropes too, but at the critical point no fewer than 3 burly Samoans missed early tackles on a small Welshman , who wriggled under them, then ran 30m and offloaded for the winning try.

Contrary to my pre-match post, South Africa beat Fiji at their own game, running in half a dozen tries from backline movements, although their backline is far more renowned for its defence (which was as solid as expected) than for its running attack. On that form, they will be a real match for Australia in the quarter-finals, especially with many of the Australians now injured.

--------------------
" If someone has the answers to all the questions, that is the proof that God is not with them" - Pope Francis

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations to Scotland for gaining the bonus point they so eagerly desired.
Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes indeed. Gives the Argentinians the task of not losing to Georgia by more than seven.

What happened to France though? Credit to the Tongans - they were seriously fired up for that game - but France seemed like they couldn't be bothered for large chunks of the match. France still go through though because I somehow can't see Canada running in four tries against the All Blacks, even minus Carter and McCaw.

Posts: 2673 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny S:
Congratulations to Scotland for gaining the bonus point they so eagerly desired.

I don't think I've ever seen so many turnovers in a match between supposedly decent international sides. Conditions weren't perfect, but it wasn't a Murrayfield mudbath.

Between the turnovers and the referee penalising every offence he saw whether it mattered or not there wasn't much chance of a rugby match breaking out.

Congrats therefore to both sides for awesome commitment and come on Georgia! Do your stuff!

(btw, I don't think Lawes and Wilkinson will start the QF: any views?)

--------------------

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
England looked better when Flood was at fly half. I was not impressed by Youngs at scrum half. He's a nippy runner, but so slow to pass. He seems incapable of getting the ball away without taking a few steps first. Why give the defence that time to come up? I like Tuigalagi better each time I see him. Best England player on the field today in my view.
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
(btw, I don't think Lawes and Wilkinson will start the QF: any views?)

I'd pick Flood over Wilkinson but leave the rest as is.

Overall I can't understand the media response. England haven't played well but they've done enough to win their group. Talk of Wales having played the best of the NH sides is (IMHO) ridiculous - they lost to the Boks.

The only team I'd fear is the ABs outside of the final. If England manage to make it to the final then the infamous NZ 'choking' factor comes in to play.

England's biggest problems seem to be occurring off the pitch.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just out of interest, has anyone else seen the All Black Jesus? We spotted it in the Metro some days back, but I'd have thought it was just the sort of thing that the Ship would love...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 2721 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

Well I didn't see that coming!

I know the French have a habit of suddenly turning it on for one match in the WC but I didn't think it would happen against the English.

Well played France - I think that spell of about 20 mins in the first half won it for you.

England weren't great but they did have opportunities that they failed to take. On the day they just weren't good enough.

Wales vs. France is a tough one to call. (Mainly as it depends on which French team turn up.)

I like the French but they can be kind of French.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought England were riding for a fall, and you never can tell with the French. There is always a danger that they will play well enough for long enough, even when in a bad patch. A disappointment, but not really a surprise.

I'd prefer Wales to win, but judging by my 100% wrong record on the baseball thread, it's probably prudent to tip France!

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 17338 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

The French team looked very together before, during and after the game; apart from talking to the press I'm not sure the Marc Lievremont did anything at all!

England didn't turn up in the first half and if ever it could be shown that Lewis Moody is not a leader today was it. Give it to Nick Easter who is the only effective no 8 we have. Selecting a tight-head to play loose-head was dim (Matt Stevens can do it, but it isn't smart to start him there) which shows that bringing over another back-row for the injured Andrew Sheridan wasn't a good idea. Once we had loose- & tight- head props playing there, and Flood at ten instead of inside centre, England improved no end. Lawes didn't look lost at no 6 either; I wouldn't play him there on a muddy day at Lansdowne Road or Murrayfield though.

Oh, and Wales were brilliant! Was O'Driscoll on the field?

--------------------

Herrick
Shipmate
# 15226

Bad luck any English or Irish supporters.

Hope you have no cause to say the same to me tomorrow.

--------------------
I see a wild civility

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

Great display by Wales last night. Good defence, even if they were pinged quite often by the ref. And it was good to see a knockout match won not by penalty kicks but by 3 well-constructed tries.

I predict a close match today between SA and Australia. As with France, it will depend on which Australian side turns up tonight, particularly the forwards. The Aussie backline is one of the few with the skills and speed to run in tries against the always solid Saffa defence, but to do so they will need the forwards to get them good ball, unlike against Ireland. Having Pocock on the ball should help, but Brussouw is a worthy opponent for him.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

The statistics lied and Australia won. Next week will be scary for me - I didn't think the ABs found a rhythm against les Pumas. Whatever happens now we have an inter-hemisphere final.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

The Australian defence was awesome, like that of Wales and yes, Pocock made a big difference. New Zealand did a good job, especially as their top #10 and his replacement were missing. To get that many penalties shows that the AB forwards were on top, which was no mean feat against Argentina.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Scary weekend coming. I want Wales and NZ to win ... but will they?

[ 11. October 2011, 20:38: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Ugh

--------------------

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can someone tell me whether the name of the Welsh player Leigh Halfpenny is pronounced half-penny or ha'penny?

--------------------
A martyr is someone living with a saint.

Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's halfpenny, not ha'penny.
At least, that's what the commentators say.

[ 14. October 2011, 13:46: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posts: 4183 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

So will it be a trip to the pub at a silly time in the morning or should I find a friend with a satellite dish? An Irish breakfast sounds tempting.

Go Whales!

[ETA weak pun]

[ 14. October 2011, 14:49: Message edited by: Jonah the Whale ]

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Several of my colleagues are going to the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff tomorrow to see the match on the big screens there.
If Wales wins, Cardiff is going to be full of drunks tomorrow. If Wales loses, Cardiff is going to be full of drunks tomorrow. Either way, the Western Mail ("The National Newspaper of Wales") is going to be unspeakable all of next week. This week, the first couple of pages each day have been about rugby. Other, lesser, news has started to appear about page 4.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 2638 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm tipping Wales to beat France. What a team! Just kept up the pressure against a gallant Ireland.

Us versus the All Blacks? A hard one to call. Is McCaw in or out? Will Cooper fire or choke? Will Deans drop him and put Barnes in his place?

Which Anzac side, if either, is going for the Super Choker Award? [Eek!]

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5106 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Friends and parents are going to the Millennium Stadiwm tomorrow to see it on the big screen -- I've got a Franciscan Quiet Day to the West, so may well be reduced to listening to it on the radio.

But given how Wales have been playing, it should be a very good game. We should have beaten SA in the first match and we've been a lot more consistent than the French. Bought myself a shirt today.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6865 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Another glorious defeat for Wales [Frown]

They had the chances, three penalties missed including two kickable ones, and France only very rarely looked dangerous going forward. They look unlikely to trouble either of the other semi-finalists (so they will confound me and win).

I'll be cheering Australia or NZ in the final, which has more to do with Imanol Harinordoquy than anything else.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah well, if Wales had won, my colleagues ere threatening to borrow a wheelchair from the hospital where we work and take me down to the Millenium Stadium - either that, or purloin a shopping trolley - so I'm saved from that!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 2638 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pity about Sam Warburton's seeming brain implosion. Andrew Slack, former Wallabies captain, commented that the worse side won.

Thierry Dussotur really showed leadership. Imanol Hardinoquoy is superb.

We'll see what happens tonight. [Confused]

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5106 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure 'brain implosion' is fair. He has said there was nothing malicious about it and to me it looked as though he lost control and let go rather than deliberated pushing him at the ground. But we should have got one of the kicks. Doesn't say much for France that they only won by one point when they were a man up for 3/4 of the match and it was the Welsh who scored the try.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6865 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

The commentary team (it's ITV, isn't it?) and Michael Owen in particular were vehement that it should not have been a red card. Absolutely vehement.

I disagree - it was only because the French player tucked his head forward at the last second that he didn't land with his full bodyweight on his neck. That would have been very nasty. I wouldn't have been outraged if Rolland had only given a yellow, but by the letter of the law the red was justified.

In my humble opinion.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
Doesn't say much for France that they only won by one point when they were a man up for 3/4 of the match and it was the Welsh who scored the try.

Carys

Yes, if France are as unenterprising as tonight against either New Zealand or even Australia, they will be thrashed. Carys is right that if either Hook or Jones could kick straight,or if they their lineout had performed properly (not impossible even with a man down) Wales would have had a well-deserved win. But not if Halfpenny's kick had gone over, as it looked to me like the penalty went the wrong way, with the Welsh player holding onto the ball.

And I agree with IF that while Warburton certainly deserved a yellow card, a red may have been a touch harsh. But the ref was certainly entitled to give a red. The send-off certainly spoiled the expected spectacle, as Wales would have been mad to play a wide game with a man short.

Interestingly that's the second match in the knock knock-out stages where one team has won everywhere but on the scoreboard. I'd be surprised if Australia can pull that off twice in succession though, as they must all still be feeling battered and bruised even more than usual after a rugby match.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

This little bunny is very nervous as game time draws near. Last night's was a sad affair, and I foresee an brutal thrashing next week, but at whose hands?

Where's the nail biting need a stiff whisky smiley?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11 

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2014