homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The game that batters: the rugby thread (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  20  21  22 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The game that batters: the rugby thread
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:

I thought NZ rugby people were not wusses?

As hinted above, I think most kiwis respected the French response, and are horrified at the IRB's decision.
Fair enough.

Anybody know who asked the IRB to introduce this bylaw or regulation? It sounds like it came from the time when NZ didn't want to do the haka before the anthem.

BTW, does anybody know when they run up against the Tongans, who does their dance first?

The IRB regulate everything like that for a World Cup event, whether they do for a regular Test where the event is by the home team's Rugby Union is another question. They had organised it such that the All Blacks were to stay behind a certain line and the other team was to stay behind a certain line in the other direction. What the other team is supposed to do I'm not sure, with teams having previously been fined for ignoring the haka, fined for taking it seriously, fined for getting in an extra three minutes of practice etc.

A consistent rule is needed that protects the sporting tradition of NZ teams doing the haka before a game (not just in Rugby, the only NZ team I've seen on TV not doing one is their third-rate cricket team) and also allows space for sporting traditions of other nations to have the same space on a match day. Any fines or sanctions should only be applied after a complaint is made, not for arbitrary rules

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They do that in football, too?
Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sylvander:
They do that in football, too?

I don't know about football (soccer) cos I've never seen them on TV. Basketball, women's Rugby and Hockey (Field) are the ones I've seen, at least in games against Australia. I don't think the Netball team does the haka, maybe they should have on Wednesday night to get them closer to matching the Aussie girls!

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the IRB fell off their tree. The haka is a challenge. The French responded. No punchup occurred.

The reception of the team in Paris was magnifique. A class show.

Amie's father being French we supported Les Bleus. The ABs are the cousins we love to hate. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Six Nations time is upon us.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh Yes ! .... And what a hugely physical clash between Scotland and England today.

The result went England's way [Big Grin]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Robert the Bruce can stick that where the sun don't shine - his boys really didn't like it up 'em today. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Waaales, Waaales.....
I felt it was the right result but not necessarily the right score. Wales were certainly the dominant side.(But then, I'm biased)

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dan Parks was definitely Man of the Match on Saturday - for England! He had a terrible time and but for him Scotland would probably have won. I suppose he's Australian again now. It wasn't simply the charged down kick that led to a try, but the possession he kicked away. We'll see just how good England's new defensive midfield is when they play Wales.

Ireland looked sick and angry as they trooped off, but if you concede a try when a man up, you won't win many.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

The 'Spear tackle' controversy seems to be following Wales around like a bad smell.
I think they can count themselves as pretty fortunate with Sunday's outcome.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
The 'Spear tackle' controversy seems to be following Wales around like a bad smell.
I think they can count themselves as pretty fortunate with Sunday's outcome.

Even Wales' coach says Bradley Davies was fortunate only to get a yellow. He might get cited for it anyway, in which case he would miss two or three more games, and he's crucial for Wales as their World Cup locks aren't fit. Ryan Jones, usually blindside or no 8, might play at lock.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

England 0 - 6 up against Italy with 3 mins to half-time , and then go into the changing room 12 - 6 down [Ultra confused]

Tell me that didn't happen.

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

Goodness me England have won !
All very unbelievable,
rather like the abundant snow falling on the Rome pitch.

--------------------

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never in doubt rolyn, not for a second.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just watching a recording of the Italy v England game now, so I haven't read today's posts on this thread yet, but can I just say...

Jeremy Guscott's scarf! [Eek!]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

...And the only thing better than the scarf was Young Farrell's goal kicking. Do you think they'll start using the Mitre ball at Twickenham? [Overused]

--------------------
Brian Clough

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only saw the first half of the Wales match as our afternoon/evening service is at 4.30, but was very pleased to hear the final score! The first half was certainly tough and Wales and Scotland seemed pretty evenly matched.

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

At full strength and when concentrating Scotland were indeed equal to Wales, but they started the second-half appallingly then played one if not two men short for 15 minutes. Wales won the gamme in the first fifteen minutes after half time, but they were out on their feet at the end.

So far there have been two really good games and Wales have played in both. The rest has been forgettable.

[ 13. February 2012, 11:32: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

So how do you rate Wales' chances against England?

--------------------
Brian Clough

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:

We can hope....

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:

England have the better set-piece and they are improving but I take Wales by 11 points, to reflect that England will score more penalties but Wales more tries. I doubt any Welsh no 10 will be so slow to allow a chargedown!

We could even have Farrell at 10 with Barritt & Tuilagi at centre. A decent defensive midfield.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Wales by 11? Ouch!

--------------------
Brian Clough

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Triple Crown down, Grand Slam to go. Go Wales!

--------------------

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
Triple Crown down, Grand Slam to go. Go Wales!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Your boys were bloody lucky.

--------------------
Brian Clough

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

England's young new team put in an inspired performance, but the upper-body strength on some of the Welsh players carried the day.

The only problem with bringing on substitutes late in 'the game that batters' is that they're not hardened like those who've been in it from the start.
The winning try came about with our chap being dispossessed of the ball like taking candy off kids.

Well done Wales, the Triple Crown was well deserved.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

I only saw the second half, but well done Wales!

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You wouldn't know it in Darwin, but the southern hemisphere season is under way ... but not on any free to air format I have access to [Waterworks] ...
C'mon the Hurricanes (Wellington)

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's Lent, Zappa and I'm trying to give up SOF for the duration but your post tempted me and I fell. [Devil]

Although a born again Thugby fan, I too, have no access to Pay TV.

When Easter comes I will regret it, but, for Lent [Angel]

I know the Reds won but I am glad to see a Jake White inspired Brumbies revival and I am glad to see the Rebels improve.

Australian Rugby can only, I hope, improve. [Votive]

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

OMG England beat France on their home turf [Yipee]

Only saw bits of the game . Enough to see the Ref didn't do us any favours . So double congrats to the lads [Overused]

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I just got round to watching the France v England match. Oh boy, what a game! Some interesting refereeing, a French team that seemed to have an identity crisis, and an English team that seemed intent on doing just about enough and no more. But what about Tom Croft's line when he scored the try? Sublime!

But on another topic, did anyone else see the BBC's shout out to the Women's Six Nations? England have won their first four games and only conceded six points in doing so! Very impressive. [Overused] It's now set up for a Grand Slam decider against Ireland.

[ 14. March 2012, 13:33: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

RIP Merv the Swerve.

Back in the early seventies, until his career was cruelly cut short by a brain haemorrhage, Mervyn Davies was the best number 8 in the world. The can't have been many lanky rugby-playing schoolboys anywhere who didn't want to emulate him.

It's going to add something to tomorrow's match at the Milleneum Stadium.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Yay Wales!

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Boo Wales!

I'm now officially trying to avoid the result of the England game so that I can watch the replay in the morning. Whether I'll be successful is doubtful, but here's to trying!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

And St Patrick can suck on that!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
God Almighty - we even got stuffed by the Italians. [Waterworks]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Apart from the emotion in Cardiff and the sight of England's scrum pushing the Irish all over Twickenham (Oh how different to last year!) it was hardly a weekend for quality rugby.

I've got to admit that the Italian crowd is definitely the best looking in the championship! That, or the director picks out the eye-candy.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
the sight of England's scrum pushing the Irish all over Twickenham

I picked the right day for my first Six Nations visit to HQ [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

It was definitely a game for the purists! And to be fair to the Irish, it was only when their first-choice tighthead went off that they were so comprehensively beaten.

But I'll take it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never mind competitions between 6 nations or 15 'provinces'. This coming weekend will see a truly international feast of rugby, with 32 nations contesting the Hong Kong Sevens. What's more, it will all be running rugby, and isn't what it supposed to be about. The top players are all quick in the legs but also between the ears.

No wonder that sevens is about to become an Olympic sport, as it much more international and suited to a wider range of physiques than the boreathons featuring 6 successive scrum resets, after which the ref [mentally] tosses a coin to decide which side should spend a minute or two lining up a penalty goal.

The whole tournament will be broadcast live into Fiji, where it is the national game, and the only sport in which Fiji has been world champion.

Fiji are in with a good chance of winning, but the competition in these tournaments is always close, particularly once it gets to the quarter finals. New Zealand and England are nearly always in the last 8, helped by the number of Fijian emigres in each of their sides. Samoa and South Africa are always serious contenders too. Others not normally thought of as rugby nations, such as Kenya, also win many matches.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love watching sevens. It's a bugger to play though unless you are a lot fitter than I was when I tried it. I went to HK one year, long ago, and had a fantastic time. I think some of the smaller rugby nations see it as an area where, with a bit of investment, they can compete on much more level terms than 15s, witness Kenya, as Tukai said, but also Portugal and Spain.
The women's competition has also been growing in recent years. It is not all the same suspects as the men's game. England and Australia will be good (NZ won't be there), but watch out too for the Dutch (Yay!), Spanish and particularly the Canadians who I think have a good chance of winning it.
In my view sevens is a much better spectator sport than the full fifteen-a-side, not only because it is faster paced, but also with fewer players on the field there are far fewer infringements for the ref to make an arbitrary decision about. This makes it much easier for a non-rugby person to understand and appreciate.

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

On another matter - if you were one of the 57 Old Farts, would you give Stuart Lancaster the England job full time?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

I would. I think a young England team performed quite decently, and improved as the tournament went on. I suppose we were fortunate to play Scotland and Italy first, while still finding our feet, but finishing second behind a good Welsh team is not a sackable offence in my view.
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Paradoxically I have no interest in Sevens - or about as much as I do in League. Which is none. Sevens demands fitness I concede, but seems to be over before it's started, and lacks the titanic struggle and forward/back duality of the real game. Like League, in fact (at least insofar as the forward/back duality is concerned. I admit League lasts longer. Interminably longer).

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I'm with Zappa. Sevens, like League, is all about try scoring, which is like saying cricket is all about sixes and great catches. In Sevens or League, one missed tackle generally means a try, and I'm afraid that appears superficial to me.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Can I have a whinge about the farce which is the Championship in England?

It's a twelve team league, so in the 'Regular Season' each team has 22 fixtures. They then divide into three four-team pools for the 'Playoffs'. The top eight teams form two 'Promotion Pools' features the top four teams, and the 'Relegation Pool' has the bottom four. Once the six pool games are completed, the top two teams in each of the Promotion pools advance to the 'Championship Semi Final' which is a two-legged tie. The winners of these games advance to the 'Championship Final', another two-legged game. The winner of the final will be promoted to the Premier League, so long as their ground measures up against various minimum standards.

Does anyone else think that this is ridiculous? Perhaps I'm biased because I support Bristol (who ran away with the Regular Season league) but this seems to be needless Americanization (sic) in pursuit of a bit of "excitement" which apparently can't be generated by appreciating the sport for what it is. If Bristol stuff up the semi or the final (it's happened before) I shall be even more annoyed than I am now.

Do other countries have this kind of lunacy in their lower divisions?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Un-frickin'-believable! We go 0-17 up, 9-17 at halftime, and finish 45-24 down.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I watched it IF. You were powned. Great game of rugby for the neutral and, for a retired loosehead, the second half had a couple of belting tries.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

In the final leg of the World Sevens Series in London, Fiji beat Samoa in the final, but New Zealand clinched the series by taking the third spot.
Final standings after nine weekends of glorious running rugby:
code:
Series Standings
TEAM PTS
1 NEW ZEALAND 167
2 FIJI 161
3 ENGLAND 135
4 SAMOA 133
5 SOUTH AFRICA 125

In the women's tournament the Netherlands lost to England in the final, having beaten the likes of France, Canada and Australia on the way. This weekend there is a huge sevens festival - nine pitches in concurrent use - in Amsterdam. Mostly club teams for the men, but more than a dozen international women's teams.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

It isn't the end of the season in the northern hemisphere but the big match tomorrow is the Heineken Cup Final. It's an all-Irish affair with Twickenham sold out so the pubs in West London ought to do a roaring trade!

I'm putting the price of a pint of Guinness on Ulster*. They are all team, through and through and Leinster have too many just back from injury.

*I think that's about four quid in that area!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  20  21  22 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016