homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A brand new shiny thread for all things cricket.
And let's remember to keep it cricket - friendly rivalry and comradely discussion is the order of the day. Now, who's batting first?

[ 14. January 2015, 07:22: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bags I bowl, the wicket's taking spin.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I'll bung some leggies down from the other end. Impossible to pick from the hand, mostly because the batsman has forgotten what was going on when I let it go by the time it reaches him!

AG - Proud to be a frog in a blender.

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
just sit me in the slips please....

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My forte, honed with many years of practice, is sitting in the pavilion and possibly lightly dozing!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just woke after a shitty night of no sleep - don't ask - to see that Australia, ever generous of spirit, have decided to give the first innings to England as a New Year's present. [Mad]

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So ... It's possible I spoke too early [Hot and Hormonal]
Great performances by Haddin, Smith and especially Stokes. I think Aus had the best of the day, but Stokes single-handedly made sure it wasn't a disaster for England.
Good to see Haddin smack Anderson all over the place. Maybe that will teach him to keep his trap shut. Probably not.

--------------------

----

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh we'll get those runs no trouble, DK. It's just that on recent form it'll take us two innings to do so...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

Good one. [Killing me]
But who knows? Lots of changes in the lineup, and it might be a good thing. Although,I don't really understand keeping Carberry and dropping Root. The former really has been in poor form, and did very little with the bat.
Stokes was very good value with the ball today.

--------------------

----

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I'll trade your lack of understanding with mine of bringing Borthwick in, then (a) using him as a bowler and (b) batting him at nine. Much as I love to see a leggie it's obvious that the Australian batsmen thought the same - I suspect that most of his overs must have been at Smith and Haddin - and he hardly bowled all summer, he's been opening the batting for Durham instead! I can only assume that he's being played as a spinner who can bat to bolster the tail.

AG

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think my over-riding emotion about today's play can be summed up by this smilie: [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clearly my emotions are so heightened that I included a completely superfluous hyphen in my previous post. It's been that kind of morning.

[Disappointed]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard the first half hour of day two, when we were 17-4 and tuned in to something completely different.

When one wakes up to hear that not only did Australia make almost as many runs in one session as we did in two, but George Bailey has made 20, you know things are going badly.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My biggest concern during the morning session is there wouldn't be a 3rd day - want to see all the pink.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

5-0!
Australia, you fucking beauty!!

--------------------

----

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I'm just glad it's all over.

--------------------
Brian Clough

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The worst bit is not that England were humiliated.

Its that they capitulated.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Well done to Australia, and respect to Boof in particular who took the poisoned chalice in both hands, drank deep, and laughed in the face of the toxins. His next big task is to build on it, because it's still a case of a couple of players holding the rest together.

In terms of sport all round, it's been a pretty miserable ten matches - England somehow managed 3-0 despite never really firing and being rescued by the bowlers time and time again, and as for the return...

On the bright side, we've got the one-dayers to look forward to, with lots of new faces for Mitchell Johnson to whang 'em past. He'll love it, I'm sure.
AG

PS DK - within five runs of equalling Australia's total, but in two innings - what did I tell you?

Wot no sig?

[ 05. January 2014, 10:43: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Well done to Australia, and respect to Boof in particular who took the poisoned chalice in both hands, drank deep, and laughed in the face of the toxins. His next big task is to build on it, because it's still a case of a couple of players holding the rest together.

Agreed. Our boys have a ways to go before they are ready to face South Africa.
In the meantime, how sweet it is [Yipee]

--------------------

----

# 3200

Not exactly sure why the ECB felt the need to give votes of confidence to Flowers and Cook during Day's 2 and 3 of that match.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The pink all round the SCG was only equalled by the embarrassment on the England team's faces, especially the author of that 82 (read it: eighty-two) page nutrition guide. Don't let that take anything away from Australia though. They knew what to do, looked at what they had available and were pretty ruthless about it.

As for the future, was there ever a better time to play the world #1? If one or two of the young, genuinely quick bowlers can come through to back up Johnson, then Amla won't resume his form of 12 months ago and other South Africans will struggle. Steyn, Philander & co won't be anything like as effective if they don't bowl with 350+ runs in the bank.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

It was the right thing to do, but I bet I'm not the only one waiting for the jokes to start. It's all a bit like the legendary Bay City Rollers story, isn't it?

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Am I the only one who, listening mostly to BBC radio (TMS & 5Live) and reading the BBCs cricket news, is coming to the idea that Michael Vaughan is opening his mouth and letting the wind blow his tongue around? He's like G. Boycott without the tact and diplomacy.

My view is that people will be retiring, resigning or at least taking a break almost from the moment Paul Downton puts his feet under the desk. I don't know exactly who, but I'm sure some will.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

Hmmm ... I assumed MV's views were tolerated because of his role in the 2005 Ashes series. Or perhaps he was privy to some insider knowledge.
After all, why would anyone put up with that half-wit Beefy if not for the fact that he was pretty important in a come-back period for English cricket.
Believe me, no one would put up with Shane Warne down here if not for the fact that God gifted him the talent to bowl leg spin better than anyone else ever has. Other than that, he's an idiot.
Prior did well in that Sydney Harbour Bridge situation. Good on him.

--------------------

----

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Going to the gabba on Thurs. Hoping it will at least be a contest. In England that was where the Aussies came good.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
Going to the gabba on Thurs. Hoping it will at least be a contest. In England that was where the Aussies came good.

Well after today's ODI it doesn't look like it. I'm hoping that the English women will salvage some pride.

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Welcome back Tom!

Your return to the Ship has been good for English cricket. We beat Australia!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been watching and reading a bit but real life has got in the way a bit... I was happy Pakistan lost today as 2 of my Pakistani pupils have been having a bit of a go recently!
Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:

Believe me, no one would put up with Shane Warne down here if not for the fact that God gifted him the talent to bowl leg spin better than anyone else ever has. Other than that, he's an idiot.

I like Warnie's commentary. It's fun. [Big Grin]

England done well at the Gabba today. Morgan was fun to watch.

I still do a double take every time I see Maxwell - he looks and moves just like Ponting.

I must admit to preferring test matches to ODI's.....more subtle, more skill, more time watching while doing housework. [Smile]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Fuck me, what a finish - I'm sweating just watching the Cricinfo ticker at work!

Nice to see a competitive game at last, and well done to Faulkner for holding it all together, and denying England at the death. I wouldn't like to be in his skull tomorrow morning!

Incidentally, Sioni, I might quotes file your remark on Vaughan when I get a mo, if it was any more acid you could etch glass with it. And you are right too!

AG

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Wonderful effort by England to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory like that. Just like old times!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Fuck me, what a finish - I'm sweating just watching the Cricinfo ticker at work!

True story!!

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Having read this article, I find myself thinking that the ideas in it don't seem to be that sensible. Will having Australia, England, and India holding the reigns really inspire the other Test-playing nations to discover new financial stability? I rather doubt it. And also, South Africa is not mentioned in the entire piece - so what of their status under the proposed rules?

Baffling.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

If this goes ahead I wouldn't expect it to be the end of matters. Hands up all those who expect India to have sole charge of international cricket scheduling by about 2023? If cash generation is the governing factor then that would make at least as much sense as the current proposal, ie none whatsoever. The fat cat associations, broadcasters and limited-overs formats ought to subsidise first-class cricket and the infrastructure, as well as Tests.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Do you mean that money made from a well attended Test between India and Australia should subsidise first class cricket in, say, New Zealand?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
Do you mean that money made from a well attended Test between India and Australia should subsidise first class cricket in, say, New Zealand?

If India and Australia want to play Test cricket against the best possible New Zealand team then yes, I do.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Sorry, I wasn't asking to be confrontational - I was just making sure I understood the point you were making.

It's a point that I'm sympathetic to. But the realist in me wonders if it has a cat-in-hell's chance of ever actually happening.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Re-reading my reply, it does look confrontational and I ought to apologise. Maybe we're too willing to be clear, which the ICC doesn't do!

The only way in which the Big Three (in cash terms) and broadcasters are going to hand more money over would be if the ICC becomes more determined to have cricket in the Olympics.

On the actual cricket front Australia are 3-0 up in the best of five ODI's but England's women had a good win yesterday in their ODI*. England have a 8-0 lead on this odd multi-format Ashes series and Australia need to win all of the five remaining fixtures to win the Ashes. That's a long way from impossible although the England women's team is a whole lot more reliable than the men's.

*At the MCG. Props to the Australians for holding all the women's fixtures at Test grounds!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Well spank me with a prize leek and call me Lionel! Where did that come from?

AG

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry Lionel but I charge for spanking. [Big Grin]

I'm glad they managed to win a game, hopefully this victory will put some fight back into them and they'll win the next one, too.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Good to see England doing better in the ODI's. Yesterday's match was another nail biter!

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We had Celebrity Cricket on the box yesterday - the kindest thing I can say is that what they lacked in skill they made up for in enthusiasm. There was some really appalling fielding, some dire batting and some bowling that was just an embarrassment - but it was good fun.

p.s. the umpiring was pretty bad, too.

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had the same in Adelaide. By both teams. More importantly, my beloved Cadel lost by a second.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

If you can get past the absolutely tortuous wording of the second paragraph, I'd be interested in your take on this article by Mike Selvey.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Apparently, Andy Flower has been relieved of his duties as England's head coach. Can't say I'm shocked.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
Apparently, Andy Flower has been relieved of his duties as England's head coach. Can't say I'm shocked.

Any guesses who'll be next in Paul Downton's office for an interview without coffee?

I'm sure there will be an Essex connection.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Goochy to take the next step then?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

India lost again to the Kiwis - one tie and 4 losses in the one-dayers is pretty dire. Great catch in the stands off a six, by a guy who looked distinctly Indian was the highpoint of the day.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I think England are playing India next, aren't we? Further potential for embarrassment...

It could have been worse, though. No-one (yet...) has released a song about the captain's average.

AG

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

That is so brilliant!

On the subject of cricket-related music, I assume you've heard Neil Hammond's group 'The Duckworth-Lewis Method'? Their highlight is probably this little number but some of their other songs are rather charming.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016