homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Before today Pakistan had never beaten India in a World Cup encounter and neither had they ever won a run chase at Adelaide.

Both records still stand.

What will Ireland do to the Windies tomorrow?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surprise us. [Razz]

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly I missed it as I had to go to do some shopping but I hear it was another poor Windies performace - as Sammy said ...if they bowl like that they're not going to win many matches.

What are the odds on Ireland having to extend their stay again?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Sadly I missed it as I had to go to do some shopping but I hear it was another poor Windies performace - as Sammy said ...if they bowl like that they're not going to win many matches.

What are the odds on Ireland having to extend their stay again?

I'd give Ireland the edge over Zimbabwe and they ought to deal with UAE, so they should be checking venues.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Afghanistan vs Bangladesh tonight, now that could be quite interesting...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Except that it wasn't...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I thought 3/3 in 3 was interesting in and of itself - but then I'm easily amused.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Pathetic Embarrassment!

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Pathetic Embarrassment!

I am so sorry for your loss, dear friend.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is a kindness to relieve one very early of one's very faint hopes for success.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scotland have got to be looking forward to their game with us with some glee.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

You think you've got problems, my missus is Scottish! I'll never be allowed to forget...

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations to New Zealand, especially Southee and McCullum but the whole teaam has to be firing to get a result like that.

G Boycott was looking for positives and couldn't find any. I suppose he could have said that it's over.

FWIW it looked like the bad old "fear of failure" days have returned when despite any amount of talent England could not perform reliably. Even with Atherton, Stewart and Thorpe in the team England rarely got enough runs.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Could England somehow contrive to make this World Cup even more embarrassing than 1999? I wouldn't bet against it, have we got a song out yet?

AG

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think they must be trying to make the footballers look better. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Could England somehow contrive to make this World Cup even more embarrassing than 1999? I wouldn't bet against it, have we got a song out yet?

AG

No song yet and the 'fat lady' hasn't been seen. In 1999 we won three matches out of five whereas now there are four to go. We have lost to the best two sides in the group and while we ought to beat Scotland, Afghanistan and Bangladesh there's no saying which Sri Lanka will turn up. Four wins and we'll be through, three and we're hoping others also win three and lose four, while our net run-rate improves a lot.

I'd say book your tickets home lads. KP looks well out of it.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

India gave South Africa a very surprising whopping this afternoon - I was hoping for a victory but that really was amazing.

Tomorrow looks fun but I am not getting up to watch something that starts here at 03.30! What are the odds on a victory for the Scots?

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hums Scotland the Brave imagining the pipes skirling in the background.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

They may have been brave but they weren't victorious - well done Moeen Ali, an excellent knock and England have some points!

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Phew!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Weren't going to live it down in a hurry if that on had gone wrong... Phew, especially as Celtic Knotweed is Scottish!

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Brave stuff from Zimbabwe! Don't ever forget that Gayle was just an umpire's call away from a duck!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Indeed! While the feat is spectacular, and has kept a few cricket statisticians in a job, one cannot help thinking that against a more disciplined bowling attack that it could have been a very different story.

AG

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... one cannot help thinking that against a more disciplined bowling attack that it could have been a very different story.

AG

Has Zimbabwe ever shown themselves capable of a disciplined bowling attack?

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
quote:
... one cannot help thinking that against a more disciplined bowling attack that it could have been a very different story.

AG

Has Zimbabwe ever shown themselves capable of a disciplined bowling attack?
They have had far better bowlers in the past. Here's the scorecard of a Zimbabwe v England ODI which they won. Paul Strang, Heath Streak and Eddo Brandes were in that side, Grant Flower bowled too and a bit later Ray Price, Henry Olonga and Doug Hondo were way better than any of their current bowlers.

It's something else Mugabe has wrecked [Frown]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ireland are really trying to lose now against the UAE at 97/4 in 25.2.

--------------------

If only.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Despite Ed Joyce being bowled, but the comedy light-up bails landing back in the grooves! Never seen that before (despite my lack of pace...).

First net Sunday - will the knee take it?

AG

--------------------

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

Ireland could still win it with a certain Kevin O'Brien out there...

--------------------

If only.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

They did, but UAE made 'em sweat!

AG

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Two minnows but a great match!

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The best thing in cricket is a close match and it doesn't matter if you support one/both/neither of the teams.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Exactly! Bugger all this huge bat flog it round the ground stuff, give us some proper excitement!

AG

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

AFG tenth wicket partnership held to defeat Scotland in a nailbiter in the 49th over.

Sorry to all the Jocks here.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...and Afghanistan v. Scotland was another perfect example of a really exciting match. More power to the teams that really entertain.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Looks like we all know what Chez Wodders were up to!

Given earlier comments on bats, and field placings, it's interesting to see that Sri Lanka managed to put 332 on the board with just one six in the total.

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Looks like we all know what Chez Wodders were up to!

Given earlier comments on bats, and field placings, it's interesting to see that Sri Lanka managed to put 332 on the board with just one six in the total.

AG

Stupidly short boundaries and an absence of outfielders play a part too.

Really, it's got to the stage that the best approach bowling first may be to say "Screw fielding restrictions. Treat it like session one of a Test match; Three slips, two gullies, short leg, point, third man and cow corner", then try to bowl them out for two hundred. Give it a go for the first ten overs anyway.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Oh bugger. There I was thinking it was something unusual. This is what happens when you catch to and a half overs over breakfast...

AG

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Looks like we all know what Chez Wodders were up to!...

AG

With the other pair out two days on the run doing other stuff we have just wallowed in cricket and then a genuine light lunch, prepared by me - if we tell Herself we want a light lunch we still get rice and three curries as a minimum! With me a small salad or a toasted cheese and onion sandwich with a pickle on the side.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

quote:
a toasted cheese and onion sandwich with a pickle on the side.

Where's that drool smiley when you need it?

AG

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have people come across this proposal to radically alter the game, in particular by making Test Matches shorter?

Comment has not exactly been favourable.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Very ECB in conception - remember when England were the only team in England and Wales playing 50-over matches. Personally I think it's the last thing it needs, but maybe it's an inevitable consequence of having sold cricket's soul to Sky?

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

The tradition of five-day Test matches hasn't been handed down from W G Grace, or even Sir Donald Bradman.

Even in soggy old England Tests have been scheduled for three days since WW2. There was often provision for the last match in a series to be six days if it could make a difference to the series outcome and there have been timeless tests, notably in Australia betweeen the wars.

I would simply insist on a hundred overs being bowled in a day, on true pitches with pace that start lively, settle down on day two, then wear to give the spinners help.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well indeed. I remember someone pointing out that when England ran up 903 for 7 in 1938 the Australians had sent down well over 300 overs by teatime on the third day. Catch that happening now.
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Yes, I believe it used to be 120 overs in a day. Now we struggle to get 90. Hmmm...

In other news, the Windies have opened a lube franchise and will be recommending brands to England.

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

If something like it hadn't happened just a month before, I wouldn't have believed this. Just as well AB doesn't open the innings or SA would have scored 500.

He makes Chris Gayle look a slouch.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

It was quite a listen - possibly the most startling three overs or so I've ever heard (except perhaps for a few England prolapses). I'm not sure I've ever heard a commentary box quite so incredulous, and it's not often Graeme Swann is lost for words.

The bat must help, but there's got to be a shedload of skill in there too, anyone else would sooner or later have middled one directly upwards. There's a great photo on the BBC page with his eyes absolutely on the ball, apparently heading straight for his grille, but the bat is just about to catch it up.

Of late he's been a phenomenon.

AG

[ 27. February 2015, 11:29: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

I give loud cheers to Holder, defending the 8th and 9th wicket - It was his maiden 50 (his previous best was 23) and he singlehandedly brought the Windies up from a disastrous under 100 runs to 150. A batsman who batted his heart out when it really didn't matter what he did.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Won't disagree with you there, Pete - someone showing they have some pride deserves a plaudit.

AG

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Reporting in from Cricket Central (India Division)
Australia must be regretting having chosen to bat. 151 all out in just over 30 overs. Their lowest total in World Cup cricket since before colour television. It would have been lower had not Haddin decided to finish the power play on his own.

Onya Boult 5-27.

Go Kiwis!

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

This is the 12 noon report from COUP. New Zealand has beat Australia by one wicket. 152. The bowlers on both sides were hot today. But the good guys won.

In other news, UAE v India has just started. The UAE have won the toss and has chosen to bat.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016