homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
.. and not an intelligent response from Johnson Charles

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From afar, and only looking at the numbers, I don't quite know what to make of Guptil's inings - another ridiculously big score, at well over a run a ball, but on the other hand to stay there for fifty overs and carry your bat... Shit, I'd be chuffed to score that many in a season!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard most of Guptill's innings and it makes sense to regard it as two knocks. A ODI century in 111 balls, which is good for an opener but not outstanding, followed by an end-of-innings assault that brought 137 of 52 balls!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When we go to Edgbaston to see England vs NZ in June, I just hope NZ bat first so we get at least one 50-over innings!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a Blackcaps fan and have tickets for the final. I think I may lose my fingers on Tuesday.
Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope the Kiwis do it - anyone but Australia!

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

At last a classic - Kiwistan into the final, set 298 off 43 by D/L, and they make it by 4 wickets with one ball to spare. 45,000 New Zealand bums squeaked in unison!

AG

--------------------

Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
45,000? Try 4,500,000!

Blinking HECK! I really really really hope they don't make a habit of last ball 6s, awesome though they are. I might have a stroke next Sunday.

I have tickets!!!!

Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That finish shows that Duckworth & Lewis have, again, got it dead right. There are lots of close finishes in ODIs but (this is something I heard a while back) a disproportionate number are D/L targets! They concentrate the mind.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Macrina:
45,000? Try 4,500,000!

Blinking HECK! I really really really hope they don't make a habit of last ball 6s, awesome though they are. I might have a stroke next Sunday.

I have tickets!!!!

Calm down - you had a whole ball to spare.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose this is the moment where I should be thankful that the England team has done my heart a favour by not putting me through such a tension-filled experience.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I posted about Michael Vaughan's prediction on 13th February I thought it was a long shot [Eek!] but now I'm not so sure.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kohli's just done his best to scupper India - out for 1 off 13!

--------------------

If only.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Well, it's gone to at least one journalist's head.

[Snigger] [Snigger]

AG

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm afraid I won't be able to watch tonight's game (kiwi time). Partly because I am doing minor things like appointing a new Director of Music. Partly because, as Imaginary Friend has hinted, this game comes with health risks. Apart from anything else I can cope with losing to anyone except Australia - and I do think the odds favour them in terms not so much of ball and bat and field skills, but in terms of home ground familiar knowledge of the "G", and that slightly icier psyche that nearly won them (won Starc) the match in Auckland last month.

Happy to be proved wrong. And Macrina - brilliant! but I'd be coming home in a body bag.

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Disappointing game. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Waterworks]

[ 29. March 2015, 10:14: Message edited by: Uncle Pete ]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Couldn't really call it a stressful game [Biased] I do think New Zealand were a better team than they showed in that game-seemed their batsmen just cracked under the pressure-they made some incredibly reckless shots.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Woo hoo!!! Fantastic result.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

But this is why the Black Caps, not these will always be my heroes.

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Especially from the QFs onwards, Australia showed themselves to have strength in depth in all the technical aspects of cricket, i.e. batting, bowling and fielding. (Some of their run-outs and catches were outstanding.) Too much so for all the other sides, though none of the other semifinalists had glaring weaknesses in any of these technical aspects. Therefore Australia won the cup. Australia's only glaring weakness was in graciousness, but that doesn't often show in a team's results.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
But this is why the Black Caps, not these will always be my heroes.

Australia's graciousness both in victory and defeat has frequently been noted as severely lacking.

I was pleased on noting the graciousness of NZ both in victory and in defeat. Both McCullum and Elliot were (and are) class acts.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Yup. The pope's still catholic, bears still shit in the woods, and Australian sportsmen are marginally more obnoxious than those from other countries. Very little to see here, IMNVHO.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
Disappointing game. [Disappointed]

Was rather.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I have checked the Aussie touring party and just decided that baseball is definitely the game to follow this summer.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know it's not REAL cricket but the IPL starts this week - it may not be the real game but it can be quite entertaining at times.

I'm still shouting for Chennai Super Kings - will I be disappointed again?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Richie Benaud has died. I find this really sad, not just because of all the fond memories that I have of listening to Test Match Special, but also because I learned so much about the history of cricket from him. He was one of the good'uns, and he'll be missed.

[Votive] [Frown]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I feel exactly the same about Richie. I never saw him play but my Dad, not usually a fan of Australians, rated him very highly as a player and a man, noting particularly his captaincy. He was a marvellous commentator who never showed off.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Richie Benaud was ever the gentleman who believed in treating his audience with respect. I admired the way he always dressed in suit and tie to commentate, explaining that he felt it was discourteous to comee into people's living rooms in any other attire. I also remember with fondness some of his amusing quips eg Glenn McGrath had just got out for 2 when batting. Richie announced that Glenn had been dismissed for 98 short of a century!

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

So, does one half-decent innings make Captain Cook's position secure for the rest of the summer?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So, does one half-decent innings make Captain Cook's position secure for the rest of the summer?

Yep. Cook will remain captain until the ECB are happy that Root has the right level of experience. Then it'll be a coronation.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

In fairness, Root looks like a proper little player. And personally, I'd prefer to have a skipper who isn't an opening bat - gives them more opportunity to compartmentalise their batting responsibilities from their captaincy.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
quote:

Yep. Cook will remain captain until the ECB are happy that Root has the right level of experience. Then it'll be a coronation.
It's hardly one half-decent innings. I didn't believe it myself but Cook has four fifties from his last seven innings. His problem is that he's not scored a hundred since May 2013, which is twenty tests ago. He gets into double figures often enough but isn't turning enough of them into centuries, which used to be his stock in trade.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

Cooky!

--------------------

If only.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I'll give England 6/10 at half-time so far. We are short of a bowler, not to mention variety in that department and we need an opening bat to partner Cook. A lead of 68 runs on a dodgy track shows the opposition has far more serious problems.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

It's a bit of a gripper, isn't it? Trouble is, if we aren't rained off tomorrow, the match could be over before our game!

AG

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Well, the Aussies will be crapping themselves at the thought of playing England after that.

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I sincerely wish my earlier post hadn't been so accurate: a duff opener, four right-arm fast-medium bowlers and two part-time off-spinners won't win too many matches in the county championship.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Especially if you also bat like numpties. [Mad]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Especially if you also bat like numpties. [Mad]

I hadn't mentioned that, but it tipped the balance in the Barbados debacle.

I'm pleased to see that the West Indies PTB have rammed the words of the latest ECB chairman back down his throat. Colin Graves, the gung-ho ex Yorkshire boss had declared that anything less than a series win would cause the traditional enquiry to sort out English cricket. I wish him luck. Sort of.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

The main problem at the moment is England's senior management. I hate to agree with Boycott, but not picking a "proper" spinner on that pitch was ridiculous. Wanting a settled team is one thing, intransigent inflexibility is another. I don't hold out much hope that anything will change, but that's where the inquiry should focus.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

No doubt they'll look for positives in the data.

AG

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

True story: (It starts with football, but bear with me, it is really about the cricket.)

A friend and I were discussing Chelsea's recent success. She wondered if Chelsea are still in crisis.

"Of course not", I replied, "we're boring now."

"Can't we be boring and in crisis?"

"I don't think so. Crisis is inherently not boring."

"But surely a crisis can be so predictable and repeatable that it becomes very boring?"

At which point I realised I was a supporter of the English cricket team and that my friend was absolutely right!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

tangent/

Everton's league performance between 1996-97 and 2003-04 was boring and the club was in crisis too. Apart from one year in which we finished seventh we were 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th and 17th (twice). On one occasion we escaped relegation thanks to goals in two matches in the last five minutes of the season.

It got very wearing.

/tangent

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

On a lighter note, first match of the season for my old department last night. We lost, mostly due to failings with the bat (quite possibly due to looming darkness - it got VERY gloomy!), but fielded very well, lots of new people who got stuck in, and generally good fun despite the result, if that's not being too Peter Moores.

On a personal level, I got my first wicket of the season - I even got it to turn on the yard of lard that is the astro wicket we play on - ran someone out with a direct hit, and thoroughly amused everyone in the team of a certain age when I came back at the end of our our innings to discover that I'd made n-n-n-n-nineteen not out.

Just wish I felt that good in everyday life at the moment...

AG

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Everyone is suspiciously quiet on the KP shenanigans. I thought Mark Chapman summed it up best when interviewing some former Australian Test player by opening with "So, this must be the funniest thing ever for you guys..."

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I think we're just hoping that if we ignore it, it'll go away...

AG

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Posted without comment.

[Biased]

--------------------
Brian Clough

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, IF.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very good. I haven't seen a decent Hitler spoof for ages. They should show it to Cook, and he might bat his way to a dreary century.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016