homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread (Page 16)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't find the numbers but it seems that BBC Radio's Test Match Special is losing listeners, and with the current crew I don't hold much hope for improvement.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If they just talk amongst themselves a little less and describe the cricket a little more...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
15/4!! Are Cricinfo serious?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
well, this is going well....

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
21/5! Holy crap!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
29/6 - Unless Australia turn it round and win this and the final test match, with Clarke scoring unbeaten centuries in his 3 remaining innings, then he's toast.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Legodude_uk

Protector of Zebras
# 5671

- Posted      Profile for Legodude_uk   Email Legodude_uk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it possible to make them follow on before we bat???

--------------------
If a man is standing in a forest speaking but there are no women around to hear him...is he still wrong?

Posts: 2619 | From: The Home of the Saints | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or make two declarations and all go to the pub?

However their lowest Test Score of all time has apparently been exceeded (36 in 1902).

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Legodude_uk

Protector of Zebras
# 5671

- Posted      Profile for Legodude_uk   Email Legodude_uk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
46-8 !!!

[Overused] Stuart Broad [Overused]

--------------------
If a man is standing in a forest speaking but there are no women around to hear him...is he still wrong?

Posts: 2619 | From: The Home of the Saints | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Legodude_uk

Protector of Zebras
# 5671

make that 47-9!!!

[Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

quote:
Originally posted by Legodude_uk:

I think you can forfeit a first innings, though I'm fairly certain it's never been done in a test - or, if it has, down to weather rather than bowling the opposition out for stuff all.

AG

--------------------

Legodude_uk

Protector of Zebras
# 5671

60...!!! [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Broad 8-15 [Overused] [Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given the time zones, from here in Australia I usually watch only the first session of each day. But never in my wildest nightmares did I expect to see Australia all out by lunch on the first day. What a disgrace!

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
The pitch has something in it for bowlers but mostly the Australians batted like they were in Australia. Jimmy & co moved it just half or quarter a ball's width and that was enough. Two batsmen were out trying to leave the ball and another bowled playing no shot.

Broady and co today but again the Australians batted like they were back home. Nevill appears to be a walking wicket - bowled twice off-stump now with the ball cutting back.

Let's see how England fare before we get carried away.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a pleasant dream for the ABA fans And at the hands of England! The only thing that would have made it better would have been at the hands of India. In Austrailia, of course! However, I digress.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
quote:

I think you can forfeit a first innings, though I'm fairly certain it's never been done in a test - or, if it has, down to weather rather than bowling the opposition out for stuff all.

AG

I believe some very early declarations have been made, usually on drying "sticky dog" wickets in Oz where the ball would do anything it damn well pleased after pitching. Turn, stop, shoot low, lift, anything. The bowler didn't know, let alone the batsman.

A wet jute matting wicket can do something like it under a hot sun, as did the celebrated Derbyshire v Lancashire match at Matlock in 1975 when Derbys were bowled out twice for very few after it had snowed the day after Lancs made about 500.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

SA v England, fifth test of the 99/00 tour. Both sides forfeited an innings due to rain in order to "make a game of it". England won.

The decision appears somewhat dubious in light of the subsequent match-fixing allegations (which resulted in a life ban) against South Africa's captain Hansie Cronje.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mitchell Johnson made the highest score [apart from Mr Extras] so should he be promoted to #3?

It was great to watch England holding their catches after a lifetime of butterfingers.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Well spotted Marvin, how could I forget that one?
(probably wanted to forget it... though I remember at the time saying "If it gives England a win I'm all for it..."

AG

--------------------

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
surely there's an argument here to move Mr Extras higher up the order than his current last man in?

--------------------

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now this is a bit cruel.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Now this is a bit cruel.

although, full marks to the chap who said "an aggressive 10* by Geoff Boycott"!

--------------------

Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
surely there's an argument here to move Mr Extras higher up the order than his current last man in?

Totally. This is my personal favourite fact of the innings that Mr Extras scored more than his team-mates for the first time in Ashes history [Killing me]

--------------------
Look at my eye twitching - Donkey from Shrek

Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
60...!!! [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Broad 8-15 [Overused] [Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

Dear oh dear. Never heard of such a bad innings. Was out for the evening, blinked and I missed it. [Frown]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
England 250 for 3 (or the other way round if you like) - and Joe Root bags another excellent century.

Think I'll check the weather forecast ... well it looks like it's set fair until Sunday.

Now 260-odd for 3, Root and Bairstow still going strong. If it was a fight, the referee would stop it.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Shame about Bairstow, but the situation is where a game would normally be at the end of day 3! Australia's hope is that if England are bowled out tomorrow, there is enough time to make six hundred+ and have a day to bowl at England!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect the psychology in the Aussie dressing room might make that a bit tricky!

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely England can't lose from here but the Aussies are great pride players. To bat 2 days in a second innings the'd need Faf Du Plessis. I think Aussie lacks a good all rounder as Mitch Marsh was not picked so their bowlers face a huge mountain.

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Legodude_uk

Protector of Zebras
# 5671

England collapse this morning... [Frown]

[ 07. August 2015, 10:56: Message edited by: Legodude_uk ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

England have already lost as many wickets today as they did yesterday: four for 68 v four for 264.

The forecast today is for partially cloudy, then cloudy: anyone for a two-day Test match?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Legodude_uk

Protector of Zebras
# 5671

Declaring just before lunch, couple of overs at the Aussies - will we need the afternoon session??? [Smile]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

btw Legodude, Welcome Back!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Legodude_uk

Protector of Zebras
# 5671

Thanks [Smile] it has been a while

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Looks like England forgot to wipe the butter off their fingers after lunch

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Well done Australia for forcing the match into a third day!

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, where do the Aussies go from here?

Harris, Haddin and Watson are gone. Clarke may not even make it to the 5th Test (I'm betting he will just graciously step down and let Smith take over at the Oval). Rogers is gone after the Oval. Johnson probably hasn't got much left in him. The Marsh brothers look busted. Voges hasn't convinced and is mid 30s. As for the rest of the squad, none have looked very good. Smith has been found out. Hazelwood doesn't look like Test material.

So, what is the future for Aussie Test cricket?

Not that I care. I'm a Pommie Bastard. As far as I'm concerned, they deserve all the mockery they get.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also....

Why bring Peter Siddle on tour if you're not going to play him, even when he's the ideal guy for the conditions? With a ball seaming and swinging, Siddle is probably the one most likely to get England into a sweat. If he's not good enough to replace the likes of Hazelwood, why bring him?

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I wonder how secure Darren Lehmann is feeling this morning.

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Totally with that Oscar. Yet Aussie kicked serious butt at Lords. All about the conditions perhaps. This current wicket seems like NZ in the 90s before drop in pitches happened! I think in conditions where swing and seam movement are happening then winning the toss is critical and Cook's decision to put them in on this wicket was obviously inspired.

--------------------
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I wonder what odds are being offered on it being over by lunch.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I think they'd give you money to leave the bookies, Wodders, as it's now nine down and 87 behind!

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Seam and swing have played a part but the Australian batsmen haven't taken the conditions into account. They have looked as out-of-sorts as England often do at Brisbane and Perth. The different balls used (the Duke in England and the Kookaburra in Australia) play a part too.

Not only do some of the Australians appear to be at the end of their careers, I'm afraid some of the umpiring has, as Australians say, been pretty ordinary, but then a couple of them are short of experience in tests, let alone Ashes tests.

[ 08. August 2015, 10:30: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. You would not have predicted this at the outset. England regaining the Ashes with a test in hand and in the most emphatic way possible. Still can't get my head around Thursday. Astonishing. But also the whole match over in less than 2.5 days? The test matches keep getting shorter. Will the Oval just be a Two Day International?

--------------------
Look at my eye twitching - Donkey from Shrek

Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations to England. Deserved it a hell of a lot more than our lads.
All out for 60. That is a frothing tinny of fucked up. I still can't believe that actually happened.
Let the purge commence. Pup has just fallen on his sword.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
Congratulations to England. Deserved it a hell of a lot more than our lads.
All out for 60. That is a frothing tinny of fucked up. I still can't believe that actually happened.
Let the purge commence. Pup has just fallen on his sword.

England's players do sound pleased but not over the top. Clarke was very emotional after the match as the facts of retirement are dawning on him.

While Australia have been poor except for the war of attrition at Lord's (which their extra pace giving them the advantage) I'd hesitate to ditch half the touring squad as Punter suggests. They are getting on in years but are there plausible alternatives? Is the Academy system less effective at bringing on talent the old Sheffield Shield and Grade cricket? There seems to have been a lot of unfulfilled talent recently.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still can't wrap my brain around how well England have played, and how poorly Aussie have batted.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yes, Australia will have to retreat, lick their wounds and regroup - but they seem to regroup a lot faster than the other nations - they'll be back!

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

quote:
That is a frothing tinny of fucked up.

If I can just think of somewhere appropriate to use that I might just nick it!

I am a bit concerned that England have papered over the cracks - I don't think we ever batted for a full day's worth of overs - and have been flattered by whoever it was who has kidnapped the real Australia. Presumably Cricket Australia will be blackmailed by the result into paying the ransom.

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
quote:
That is a frothing tinny of fucked up.

If I can just think of somewhere appropriate to use that I might just nick it!

I am a bit concerned that England have papered over the cracks - I don't think we ever batted for a full day's worth of overs - and have been flattered by whoever it was who has kidnapped the real Australia. Presumably Cricket Australia will be blackmailed by the result into paying the ransom.

AG

The "Real Australia" will show up as soon as they play in conditions that don't allow seam and swing, ie, back home.

England just have to be more hard-nosed about Tests in this country and prepare the pitches to suit our skills and preferences; after all, every other country does!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

Just enjoying the moment. No pressure for the Oval. Clarke stole the after match by announcing his retirement. Stokes performance makes one want to claim him as a kiwi!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016