homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread (Page 18)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The WACA has certainly been good for quick bowlers but sometimes the pitch is so true that a confident batsmen can score at a good rate.

I don't think it's as quick and true as it used to be though and I doubt we'll see many innings like Roy Fredericks back in 1975 when he put Lillee and Thomson to the sword, back in the days when there were no helmets or restrictions on short-pitched bowling. We get quick scoring nowadays, but a lot of it is attributable to techniques borrowed from T20 and ODIs plus bats like railway sleepers.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...and Aus-NZ peters out into a draw, and at last Mitch will torment England no longer.

Meanwhile Pakistan are busy binning it in a way normally only done by England.

AG

Wot no sig?

[ 17. November 2015, 12:40: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pakistan finally make 208, with the last two wickets worth 47. I did enjoy the Cricinfo texter-inner who stated that he'd love to see Mohammed Irfan (all 7'1" of him) come charging up the pitch - enough to make any bowler quail!

Adrian

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

At 102-4, England could yet show Pakistan how to really engineer a collapse...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Taylor and Buttler did the job for England. I missed Irfan (c 7') standing alongside Taylor (5'4"), which must be quite a sight!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

According to the Beeb, Bell has been dropped for the South Africa tour, Compton and Ballance recalled, and Footitt and Samit Patel in at the expense of Rashid.

I suppose I'm mostly disappointed because despite being a Sunday friendlies only player I still consider myself a member of the leggie's trade union.

AG

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Holy crap! Jos Buttler hits a 46-ball ton as England make 355-5. Only five man have done it faster (Afridi twice), and Jesse Ryder off the same number.

Here's hoping Pakistan make ago of it, and we have a thriller.

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I wonder how the ground is set up. Not to take anything away from Jos Buttler (heck, it's a return to form in any case) but I remember Ali Brown making 268 for Surrey in a 50 over game at the Oval, then Glamorgan very nearly made 400-and-a-lot to win. There was however a 55-yard boundary square of the wicket, which I would fancy clearing even now (though I might put my back out).

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

As the old saw goes, we'll know what it's like when both sides have batted!

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

What a good idea!

Away teams often get a raw deal and this might encourage teams to go into games with a balanced team.

[ 25. November 2015, 12:05: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Nagpur can fairly be described as a turning wicket after India dismissed South Africa on the second morning for a mere 79! All ten wickets fell to spin.

India had a first innings lead of 136.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

The South African side isn't what it used to be. After they had dismissed India for 173 not long before the close they lost one wicket, sent Imran Tahir in a night-watchman whereupon he scored two fours off six balls before getting out leg-before. I don't think he's really nightwatchman material.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...and I think he did it both innings!

I would agree, not night watchman material at all. He's the type of batsman you need at the tail.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

An entirely predictable win by India after the mess SA made of their first innings - Ashwin Man-of-the-Match for a 12-fer.

The result is that India win the series with a game to go and South Africa lose their 9 year run without losing a series. They did well.

I think their will be comments on the pitch, as there so often are, but both sides have to bat on the same pitch.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Something of a bum-nipper in the after-dark thrash!

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Something of a bum-nipper in the after-dark thrash!

AG

Jos Buttler is either a very lucky man or he's going to be an excellent captain.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It looks like The Kiwis are guaranteed a first innings lead.

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, what's the point of this day-night Test then?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
It looks like The Kiwis are guaranteed a first innings lead.

[Big Grin]

[Hot and Hormonal]

Well, it looked like it at the time but a wagging tail is always good, I suppose, even when it's an Aussie one!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
So, what's the point of this day-night Test then?

Increase home country broadcast audiences and boost ground attendance too.

Taking a day off work to watch an entire match, such as an ODI or a T20 is not a problem, whereas the five days for a Test are (assuming the match lasts five days).

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SA don't appear to be able to bat very much at the mo.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It's a pretty sad reflection on them and a very sad demise of a once great team. Sunil Gavaskar made a nice comment for those who had been critical of the pitches:

quote:
...if you want to play on a pitch that doesn't turn, go and play on the road!
I'm surprised that India aren't enforcing the follow-on but they've chosen no to do so. They start their 2nd innings shortly.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Sunil has a good point. India usually score a good deal more than 334 in a first innings at home and all three innings have been patchy until Kohli and Rahane put their heads down to bat out the last fifty overs of the third day. Only Rahane and Ashwin in the first innings approached that for application.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

If India bat on into the first session in the morning South Africa could easily be faced with a total of 500 or more!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

An amazing example of playing for a draw! Fascinating day of cricket - Test cricket at its finest. Now anxious for tomorrow - of course I want India to win but a draw would be an amazing result for SA.

--------------------

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, could SA do it? 72 off 72 is extraordinary. I was wondering what had happened to batsmen of the calibre of AB and Hashim.

--------------------

If only.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

If they block as well as they did today no problem!

--------------------

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

It was a little upside down to feel disappointed when a 4 was scored!

Reminiscent of the good ol' days of Paul Collingwood.

--------------------

If only.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

An amazing game and well done South Africa for holding out for so long - a brilliant day of Test cricket. It's sad that someone has to lose a match like that.

Congratulations to India on a 3-0 series win.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

The influence of ODIs and T20 has definitely spread. Australia made 583/4 in 114 overs, a bit more than five per over. West Indies are 207/6 and that's just the end of Day 2.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

...though funnily enough the match Wodders mentioned included scoring 143 from 143.1 overs - Boycott must have been wetting himself with excitement over that one. What a contrast!

I notice just a single six in almost 900 runs - I'm guessing that Hobart has big boundaries?

AG

--------------------

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sad to see such a demise of the West Indies. They have been humiliated in Hobart.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
... the match Wodders mentioned included scoring 143 from 143.1 overs - Boycott must have been wetting himself with excitement over that one. ...
AG

It really was completely enthralling - I just love the game! Watching a team fight for a draw like that was incredible - most batsmen are good at the scoring shots but the blocking was just amazing! It will go down in my book as one of the great matches!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by bib:
Sad to see such a demise of the West Indies. They have been humiliated in Hobart.

Indeed they have. By an innings and 212 runs in about half the scheduled playing time.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Her we have the Boxing Day test, normally the big event of the cricket year in Australia but it's a mismatch so bad that it's painful to watch. (Especially after the tension of the last NZ text a month or so ago.) Just after tea on day 2, and Australia declare at 3 / 551, with 4 of the top 5 having made a "gift" century, and already the West Indies are 4/ 83 in reply.

How on earth did the WI manage to beat England last year ?

[ 27. December 2015, 05:28: Message edited by: Tukai ]

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because England are painfully inconsistent.

A trend which continued in microcosm in South Africa yesterday. We were 50ish-3 before rallying to 170ish-4 by the close. Compton batted well. Looks a good player to me.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

While the West Indies have definitely unravelled, Sri Lanka aren't doing any better in New Zealand. After losing both tests through the old method of failing to reach 300 in either innings, they lost the first ODI with seven wickets and 29 overs to spare and this morning lost by ten wickets and more than forty overs to spare! Yes, NZ made 118 in 8.2 overs. If Guptill can bat like this reliably they aren't going to miss Brendon McCullum at all.
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

I think there's some batting taking place today.

--------------------

If only.

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

That wasn't batting. It wasn't slogging either. Or defending. Definitely not defending. I'm not quite sure what it was though.

--------------------
Brian Clough

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it was the effect of a 20-20 attitude coming to Test Cricket. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing. Probably a bit of both.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

A bit of T20 batting plus SA playing a bowler short on a good pitch. Moreover, three of the four had just six Tests between them and their #1, Dale Steyn is absent.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

I think there's been some more batting taking place.

(Well replied, SA).

--------------------

If only.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Yes, what a pity it's not a timeless Test, because I'm loving the ebbs and flows of this game. Every time you think all the impossible things have happened, another one comes along. And may Temba Bavuma be the first of many.

AG

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I notice the 15yr old who scored 1000 not out in an under 16's school cricket match now has official Mumbai city sponsorship. Interesting to see what going up a few grades in cricket will do for him - but the Big Bash concept is now where the international crowd support is greatest. So it looks like he has a career ahead of him if his body holds together.

I cannot imagine what hitting over 300 fours or sixes in a row would do to your shoulders...and then have to line up to keep doing it as a career.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I expect England will do some more fielding practice before the next Test, just to get used to the ball sticking in their mitts - they say that "dropping is catching" and it does become contagious. At least we know that Moeen can contain - it would have been a sound option to blast him once the follow-on looked saved at say 300-3.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
I notice the 15yr old who scored 1000 not out in an under 16's school cricket match now has official Mumbai city sponsorship.

The commentators on Sky's coverage of the Test were talking about this yesterday. Apparently, the opposition were bowled out for thirty-something. So I'm not sure what that says about the competitiveness of the game. On the one hand, it's an impressive feat regardless of the standard of the bowling. On the other, you're absolutely right that it'll be interesting to see if he can be as good against a more talented attack.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

I think there's been some bowling taking place.

Shame the weather intervened, although Bairstow and the beard had probably done enough (with a few more overs batting).

What next?

--------------------

If only.

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Meanwhile, Hashim Amla has resigned the captaincy. Odd timing.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
Meanwhile, Hashim Amla has resigned the captaincy. Odd timing.

It must have come to him while he was in the middle for nearly two days. Plenty of time to think.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:
I think there's been some bowling taking place.

What next?

Indeed.

Well done Broad.

--------------------

If only.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016