homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yes, I have both albums! As a blonde leggie I try to model myself on Warnie*, but I don't seem to be having a lot of luck getting my leg over Liz Hurley. Ho hum.

*well, I would if my action wasn't so redolent of Moulinexed amphibia.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So there was another T20 - not that it made the slightest bit of difference, except to Dernbach's international career. Why does he keep getting picked?

I enjoyed an article in the week by Atherton on how New Zealand were punching above their weight - with Jesse Ryder back in the side, that's a lot of weight! A friend is a big fan (in more ways than one) - he reckons Jesse proves that "Fat bastards can still be sportsmen!".

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sachin's just been awarded the Bharat Ratna .

Well done, him!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, KP has been put out to pasture in the fertile fields of the IPL. I can't help but think that this might be the best thing for England in the medium term. What do you think?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was coming.

Yes, in some ways the Botham of his generation, but even IB got that, at some point, you had to consider the team - KP doesn't seem to have worked that out.

Of course, if the MCC fail at all over the next couple of years all the KP fans will blame it on his exclusion...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

It will certainly make for a quieter life for England captains over the next couple of years. His batting will be missed - I believe even after the Ashes debacle his test average was still 47 - especially in the shorter games, but I think it'll be a much more stable team without him.

From what little I've heard he seems quite philosophical about it as well, which seems out of character. All rather interesting.

AG

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It all seems so enigmatic, so now the tea-leaves are being read by various pundits - we read that Cook got fed up with KP, or he was a nuisance in the dressing room, etc.

Don't the fans deserve a fuller explanation? I feel cheated really; he was one of few English batsmen I would pay to watch, maybe Bell as well.

Scapegoat?

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amazing.

2006-07. We lose an Ashes series, investigate, change things and recover to win three series in a row and, briefly, become #1 Test team (mostly it has to be said by changing the players).

2013-14. We lose an Ashes series. New Chief Exec sacks coach then, acting with under-pressure captain, new chairman of selectors, coach pro tem, previous coach and senior players discards our best batsman for at least twenty years in wake of a leading bowler's retirement, a top batsman's ill-health, loss of form by long-term first-choice wicket keeper and all round poor performance.

KP didn't have a good tour of Australia, but no England batsman did. He played some awful shots, but he was in company there too. Didn't all the batsmen, including the openers, persist in giving Australia's legside fielders catching practice?

It might turn out to be the right thing, but it is lousy timing with ODI & T20 tour of the West Indies coming up followed by the World T20. They could have been just the thing to regroup peacefully. The whole business, and I don't like to say it, looks like the new CEO and chairman of selectors throwing their weight around.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I find it bonkers, unless there is some major trauma which has not been revealed. It's always possible.

But it's all so secretive. Does it have to be like that?

I read Boycott saying that KP played some stupid shots in Australia - hello, Geoffrey, so did all the other England batsmen.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Geoffrey himself played one or two in his career!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Geoffrey himself played one or two in his career!

Yes, I remember Geoffrey playing about that many shots. [Snore]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Peterson was a greatly talented misfit. He antagonised those in every team he played for, whether in SA or the UK.

The Telegraph carried an illuminating article describing his demise as a modern morality play. Basically that modernism with its emphasis on the individual and celebrity means that subordinating ones ego to the team is out of order.

KP is the cricketing equivalent of a tele-evangelist. They make pots of money. And they all inevitably bite the dust.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
Peterson was a greatly talented misfit. He antagonised those in every team he played for, whether in SA or the UK.

Not quite: I'm reliably informed they'd welcome him back with open arms at Surrey. But perhaps that's the exception which highlights your overall point. [Smile]

quote:
The Telegraph carried an illuminating article describing his demise as a modern morality play. Basically that modernism with its emphasis on the individual and celebrity means that subordinating ones ego to the team is out of order.

I think you could find plenty of modern sportspeople who have no problem "subordinating" themselves to the team.

quote:
KP is the cricketing equivalent of a tele-evangelist. They make pots of money. And they all inevitably bite the dust.

Yeah... No.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:

quote:

I think you could find plenty of modern sportspeople who have no problem "subordinating" themselves to the team.

Then again batsmen are a special case. To be remotely effective in top-class cricket means that they have to play their own way and that is a mixture of the physical and mental. After all, how many chances does a batsman get? A bowler gets about a hundred opportunities to dismiss a batsman while for a batsman, one error and you're sat there for hours, unable to score a run.

I'd suggest it's for the team to adapt itself to the best players available. Cricket has had its share of primadonnas and utter bastards for that matter but plenty of teams have been successful despite animosity - by all accounts the Yorkshire dressing room in the 1960's wasn't a pleasant place, shown by many players moving on or quitting the game, but it didn't prevent the team from winning stacks of trophies.

As for The Telegraph, it ought to do a bit more journalism and a bit less po-faced, fourth form philosophy.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
So, KP has been put out to pasture in the fertile fields of the IPL. I can't help but think that this might be the best thing for England in the medium term. What do you think?

It's not bad for KP personally either : I gather that he has just today pocketed a million quid for working a dozen or so afternoons in the IPL.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile in South Africa, Sean Marsh, who was picked against all form (first class average of 25 in past 2 years),bobs up to make a century.

Not that I saw any of it, owing to timezones, more's the pity.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Plus, MJ has ripped into the SA top order. Hosts have already lost four wickets. Aus on top, but very early still.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

That's very impressive stuff - SA did well to keep Australia to below 400, especially given how many runs Marsh and Smith made, but now they're in a nasty puddle left behind by the England team.

A thought - has Johnson been getting Siddle's meat ration as well as his own?

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I'm not one to enjoy Australia playing well but it's reassuring to see another side's batsmen and bowlers struggle. Puts things in perspective. Maybe Carberry isn't such a bad player after all.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And in more important news, India is 100-2 at stumps having sent off NZ quickish for 192. Sharma got 6 wickets! on the first day of the second test in Wellington.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
And in more important news, India is 100-2 at stumps having sent off NZ quickish for 192. Sharma got 6 wickets! on the first day of the second test in Wellington.

Sharma! There's a name from the past. I thought he was little more than a net bowler nowadays.

Meanwhile, from the department of "Anything you can do, I can do better", South Africa are 206 all out, Johnson 7 wickets.

(edited for S.A all out)

[ 14. February 2014, 08:55: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't see any of the NZ-IND match. Have India been that good? Or have NZ been that bad?
Apparently our selectors knew by consulting the entrails of sheep that Shaun Marsh was ready to start scoring again. Bizarre. Aus will probably declare soon after he gets his half century (which looks likely, but of course is not guaranteed). SA are up shit's creek.

--------------------

----

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
I haven't see any of the NZ-IND match. Have India been that good? Or have NZ been that bad?
Apparently our selectors knew by consulting the entrails of sheep that Shaun Marsh was ready to start scoring again. Bizarre. Aus will probably declare soon after he gets his half century (which looks likely, but of course is not guaranteed). SA are up shit's creek.

Selecting Alex Doolan looks inspired too. Took his time then got stuck in. It might not be a great Australian side but right now it is very Australian, very together and enough people are in form to make it successful.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SA well and truly walloped.

I wonder why Smith chose to field first on a wicket that was bound to deteriorate? Not that it would have made much difference as things turned out.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
SA well and truly walloped.

I wonder why Smith chose to field first on a wicket that was bound to deteriorate? Not that it would have made much difference as things turned out.

He probably hoped that the wicket would better on days 2 and 3 than on day 1. Problem was that SA's bowlers and especially their fielders weren't on form. Australia, in the field, are such a powerful unit that their opponents do well to pass 250, which isn't enough in Test cricket.

If I were Smith I'd instruct his batsmen to play the ball wherever Mitchell Johnson is fielding. They might not get so many runs but if he has to save one or two every over, it will affect his stamina and that will affect his bowling. After all, he bowls short spells. Heck you've got to do something about him and bowling to injure the guy isn't on.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

The NZ-IND match really turned around! 302 for McCullom! Extraordinary in the second innings.

--------------------

----

McChicken
Shipmate
# 2555

- Posted      Profile for McChicken   Author's homepage   Email McChicken   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately I couldnt get to the Basin to watch McCullum's 300 cos I had to work, but it's been a great day and a fantastic summer for NZ cricket.

Taylor's 3 centuries vs the Windies. Anderson's WR century. Beating both the Windies and India. And now this.

It feels good to be a Kiwi cricket fan for once. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"We're not playing tiddly-winks here mate."
"While the opposite of a true statement is a false statement, the opposite of a profound truth can be another profound truth."

Posts: 634 | From: Ko Ngati Pakeha raua ko Ngai Tahu ahau | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

*desperately searches for Kiwi relation so he can claim NZ as his own*

No, seriously, NZ deserve huge respect for what they've achieved this summer, as does McCullum and, of course, the rest of the team who have stood around him.

AG

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
]Selecting Alex Doolan looks inspired too. ....... It might not be a great Australian side but right now it is very Australian, very together and enough people are in form to make it successful.

It no longer seemed that way in the second test!

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Indeed - that last-session collapse (prolapse?) was straight out of the England Team Handbook!

I await the third test with considerable interest.

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

The entire England team, with more coaches, analysts, managers than players and that damn diet book couldn't beat Australia, but I big them up and they underperform (at last).

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Indeed - that last-session collapse (prolapse?) was straight out of the England Team Handbook!

I await the third test with considerable interest.

AG

I with considerable apprehension.

--------------------

----

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

Warner's performed well, despite all the bullshit.
And Clarke has fought admirably against a brutal pace attack.
Aus in good shape.

--------------------

----

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

The series in SA really is shaping as a Battle of the Giants. Test cricket at its best.

Example: It takes a very good ball to dismiss Amla once he's set (ask the England lot against which he got 300!). So Ryan Harris bowled him with a beautiful fast inswinger, as good as some of Steyn's in the previous test.

A pity (for spectators though not for Aussie batters!) that Steyn has been hamstring for much of the deciding match of the series.

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

Granted, it was looking that way for a while. Aus are well and truly on top now. I hear Steyn will be back in the attack today. Let's see what he can manage. I think the damage has probably already been done.

[ 03. March 2014, 23:07: Message edited by: Dark Knight ]

--------------------

----

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Another ton for Warner! Maybe the guy's a Test batsman after all.

South Africa looked doomed at tea. 15/3, Smith gone, nearly 500 still needed and four sessions to go. Boy are they missing Jacques Kallis. It'll be one heck of a save to draw this match, and the series.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

It would be awe-inspiring if they managed somehow to win, impressive if they managed to draw. It's been a proper rollercoaster of a series! I'm guessing that DK is a bit less apprehensive now? [Big Grin]

In rather more bizarre news, Abdur Rehman records figures of 0-0-8-0.

AG

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over the last few days we've been watching the Asia Cup from Fatullah in Bangladesh and although some of the cricket has been rivetting what has been more entertaining has been watching the reactions of the crowd - particularly the Rubenesque and conservatively dressed Pakistani and Bangladeshi matrons screaming their support for their team of choice - or screaming imprecations at the umpires!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

...and Australia finally clinch victory, and 2-1 in the series, with 27 balls remaining after a dramatic, hard fought, resistance from the South African tail.

How's the bum, DK? Must have been getting pretty squeaky!

AG

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

Just happy it's over. In Rhino we trust. [Yipee]
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

And England have won a series!

OK, it's only three ODI's against the Windies (without Chris Gayle) and we blew one and nearly another but a win's a win.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

I didn't recognise some of the names I saw on the roster. Where were they during the Ashes? Is the English one day team completely different from the Test side?
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
I didn't recognise some of the names I saw on the roster. Where were they during the Ashes? Is the English one day team completely different from the Test side?

There are certainly a few who haven't played Test cricket (Parry, Jordan, Lumb) and others who haven't played Tests for a while, like Bopara and Morgan, who seem to be regarded as limited over specialists. Maybe the absence of "the defeated" has raised morale, though that could be a dead cat bounce.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I think that, given the T20 World Cup follows the Windies series so closely, that they've sent out the T20 squad rather than the full one-day squad, so it's even more unlike the Test squad (except that they've just lost, in which the resemblance is spot on).

AG

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Oh boy. If you're going to punch something, at least keep your batting gloves on!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

One of today's 20/20 matches was Ireland v. Zimbabwe. Ireland won, but in my opinion, didn't really deserve it. Zimbabwe made them work for it - the game was tied at 49.5 and the last ball was a Hail Mary kind of bowling and a Glory be from Ireland.

Ah, well, the lads will celebrate Patrick's saint's day tonight.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

And today the Nederlands battered their way into the "Super 10" by defeating Ireland, and not only defeating them but doing it in 13.5 overs. A successful chase of 190.

It was an amazing game and Myfield got man of the match for his 62 off 28 balls*

*I may have the figure wrong, but not that wrong

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Did I mention that I've had the Dutch captain dropped off my bowling?

I did?

[Hot and Hormonal]

AG

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Pakistan bowled Australia out for 175. What a shame! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

This edition of the Twenty20 World Cup has produced some real nail-biting cricket - long may it continue.

On other matters: in six years time we face the prospect of:

Twenty20 2020 World Cup

sounds like fun!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016