homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread (Page 21)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could this be the match when Australia lose one in Sri Lanka? Currently they need another 127 with 3 wickets remaining.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, yes it is!

But I was hoping this would be the 1000th post!

Congrats Sri Lanka for their second ever win. I feared the weather would save the OZ despite some immense 9th wicket batting.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
O'Keele was amazing, huge respect for that knock.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I don't think there is any way the Windies can win the current Test in Jamaica but Tropical Storm Earl may still hand them a draw.

So frustrating but then that's cricket!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Congratulations to the Windies for pulling off the draw when their backs were well and truly up against the wall. A superb effort.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It has not happened yet but it looks like first innings lead to Pakistan.

And I think the Aussies are due a could do better report card, just like me in my schooldays half a century ago.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
England have had a pretty good day so far against Pakistan. and Jimmy Anderson has another wicket which goes down as "bowled" while the batsman has actually played on. Has any other bowler taken so many wickets this way?

But now he's been barred from bowling for running on the pitch, which will only be to Yasir's benefit anyway.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Could this be the match when Australia lose one in Sri Lanka? Currently they need another 127 with 3 wickets remaining.

This one too. At the end of an action-packed day Australia need the thick end of 400 runs and have lost three wickets. Sri Lanka have shown their intent by opening with their slow bowlers: I like to see slow bowlers with a new ball, they can do amazing things if they get any grip on it, like bowl a "throat ball" at openers who take them on!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Day 3, session 2 and Australia need 239 runs with 2 wickets remaining - I reckon they'll be lucky to make tea break!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...and a win by 229 runs with Australia batting just 84 overs in their 2 innings! There will be a few instances of drunkenness on the Island tonight...

...or this afternoon!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
...and a win by 229 runs with Australia batting just 84 overs in their 2 innings! There will be a few instances of drunkenness on the Island tonight...

...or this afternoon!

Quite a turnaround from a dismal soggy spring against England. Then again only six of the Sri Lanka players in the first Test of that series played in this Test.

CricInfo reports that this is Australia's eighth straight Test Match loss in Asia. C'mon Aussie, that's the sort of thing England do!

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

New Zealand did a tour to the subcontinent a year or three ago and returned having lost every match they played!

Quite an impressive record and unusual for a team that normally plays above its strength.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most unlikely win by England. A few overs of reverse swing, a few really good deliveries, and suddenly a Pakistan collapse. A probable draw became an England win. Unusually, all five mainline bowlers take two wickets each.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Most unlikely win by England. A few overs of reverse swing, a few really good deliveries, and suddenly a Pakistan collapse. A probable draw became an England win. Unusually, all five mainline bowlers take two wickets each.

Definitely a Game of Two Halves. Until lunch on day 3 it was all Pakistan (they were 336-5). From then on, it was all England.

I feel that if Pakistan want to win at the Oval they need a fifth bowler to dismiss England twice, because England have sorted out Yasir Khan and their four-bowler attack looked knackered in the England second innings.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
England and Pakistan appear to be trying to recreate the Edgbaston test, with a very similar sort of day and score on the first day. I wonder how this will unfold?

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

The first session on Day 2 has definitely been Pakistan's, as it was in the last Test. England have helped them immensely by dropping not one, not two but three catches! 97-2 is much better than, say, 70-5.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pakistan dropped a few when we batted too, so I guess we're about even.

Mind you, what does it take for England to put two performances together? Still so inconsistent.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From an English perspective that was a disappointing end to a very good series. I think 2-2 was a reasonable reflection of the teams, although both played some superb cricket at times. Just think what they'd be like if they managed to find a bit of consistency!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with Michael Vaughan on this on - "what a pity there isn't a 5th test"....

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
From an English perspective that was a disappointing end to a very good series. I think 2-2 was a reasonable reflection of the teams, although both played some superb cricket at times. Just think what they'd be like if they managed to find a bit of consistency!

We are consistent! With the exception of Root and Cook our top order doesn't deliver while 6, 7 and 8 do!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
England wont get far without another opening bat and a spinner who can bowl as well as bat.
Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
England wont get far without another opening bat and a spinner who can bowl as well as bat.

Yes and maybe. Nobody had a good word for Ashley Giles for years, but he did a decent job without setting the world alight. Remember the Aussie jibes about the "King of Spain"? We also need at least one more top-order batsman in place of Vince and/or Ballance.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In hindsight Rashid would have been a better pick than Vince for the Oval test. Should the selectors have had sufficient foresight?

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:

Yes and maybe. Nobody had a good word for Ashley Giles for years, but he did a decent job without setting the world alight. Remember the Aussie jibes about the "King of Spain"? We also need at least one more top-order batsman in place of Vince and/or Ballance.
Slightly controversially, I'd be tempted to stick with Ballance for now - he's not performed against Pakistan, but he has done enough in the past to warrant a bit of faith I think. Vince on the other hand should be making plans for a long holiday this winter.

Moeen Ali is a funny one - he's not a world class spinner, but as Sir Geoffrey says, he does have an irritating (to his legions of knockers) habit of taking wickets despite this. He's also pretty handy with the bat. If it came to a Moeen v Rashid contest, I'd unhesitatingly stick with Moeen - and not just because he plays for Worcestershire. I

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Given that (IIRC) we're touring Bangladesh and India this winter, might Moeen and Rashid both play?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Given that (IIRC) we're touring Bangladesh and India this winter, might Moeen and Rashid both play?

I hope so, if only on the basis that they are competent batsmen and England struggle to find four top-order batsmen let alone five (or six) I would play both, plus Stokes, Woakes, Broad and Anderson, with Bairstow at five.

Goodness who else should be selected to keep Cook and Root company.

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Cook, Root, Bairstow, plus the six bowlers you mention gives two slots free (probably at 2 and 4). Personally, I wouldn't take Vince if there is anyone even half in the running to replace him. Hales is a difficult one though, and not just because the journalists I've read seem to suggest that there's nobody champing at the bit to take his place. The selectors could give him the Bangladesh series as a free hit. But if he fails, throwing a newbie in at the deep end in India might not be a risk that we want to take.

Tricky.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, that was some innings! England just broke the world record for the highest score ever in a One Day International, just beating the Sri Lankan's previous record by 1, with a nice Nelson total of 444.

Now, anyone remember the 12th of March 2006, when Australia broke the world record by batting first?

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Well, that was some innings! England just broke the world record for the highest score ever in a One Day International, just beating the Sri Lankan's previous record by 1, with a nice Nelson total of 444.

Now, anyone remember the 12th of March 2006, when Australia broke the world record by batting first?

Yes, it did them no good at all! South Africa came out and chased down the total.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be willing to stake a fiver on Pakistan not emulating the feat.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

So, the laptop boys in the dressing room are looking smug with an 82.16% chance of victory then?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having played at the previous holder, I must confess to a twinge of sadness at Trent Bridge taking the record for most runs in an ODI innings. What an absolutely gobsmacking match, though.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

After the feast of runs at Trent Bridge that old curmudgeon Angus Fraser has described batting dominated limited overs cricket as boring.

I'm old enough to remember the early days of limited overs cricket, when Pakistan's score (275) would probably win two-thirds of the time.

Gus must have forgotten that with most counties fielding a bowling "attack" of five trundlers, or one West Indian and four trundlers, bowling on a typically sodden or tired English pitch with few fielding restrictions, it was a real struggle for batsmen to get in, stay in and score quickly. Bowlers placed the ball outside off stump, short of a length, seam up, and waited for wickets. They didn't have to wait long. Now that was boring.

OK, not all the changes have been beneficial (short boundaries, excessive restrictions on fielders) but batsmen can generally be braver now with helmets and most have learnt a lot about pacing an innings and innovating from T20.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I think the short boundaries and ridiculously thick bats are the two crucial things. Proper Cricket™, both bowling and batting, are about knowing exactly how much to risk. Due to those two changes, a batsman can make a mistake (i.e., get an edge) and score a six. In that sense, there's now no risk to attacking. On the other hand, the bowlers can't risk anything because they're already going at fifty an over* just trying to be defensive. I agree with Gus in the sense that turning cricket into a competition for who can hit the ball furthest is pretty boring. But I'm also not advocating a return to the Seventies. Just a tweak in the balance of power so that bowlers have a chance and batsmen have to think about what they're doing.

* Or whatever.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

A different kind of ODI, but England win again! Gus Fraser's point that lower scores make for better matches is true, but England kept their composure after being 72-4 but finishing is much easier when you don't have a "tail" - all eleven in the team today have a first-class century to their name.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

England's selections for the Bangladesh tour are sensible, giving some newcomers that inclusion with the squad, valuable in itself, plus the likelihood of playing. There's nothing worse than being selected as a travelling reserve and net bowler. Hameed is sure to start as the only opener other than Captain Cook while Duckett and Balance appear to be in a straight fight for the #3 spot. I've less idea about the bowling but Wood, rather than Finn, ought to play if Anderson or Broad don't deliver.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I'm a bit nonplussed by the inclusion of Gareth Batty. Is there really no young finger spinner we could have taken instead? Surely experience playing on the Subcontinent would be invaluable for them?!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
I'm a bit nonplussed by the inclusion of Gareth Batty. Is there really no young finger spinner we could have taken instead? Surely experience playing on the Subcontinent would be invaluable for them?!

Maybe the selectors are thinking back to Shaun Udal and Ian Blackwell and possibly even Mike Watkinson. None of them played many tests but they were all good, solid, experienced county pros who wouldn't worry about batsmen lashing them over midwicket.

Then again, I'm not sure Batty fits that bill: does he have the temperament for five hot sticky days in Chittagong.

[ 19. September 2016, 11:47: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Is that the cricketing equivalent of "yeah, but can he do it on a wet, windy, Wednesday night in Stoke?"??!!

[Killing me]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's looking like a gripping last day of the county championship. Much as I'd like to see Yorkshire win a third straight Div 1 title, wouldn't it be a great tribute to Trescothick if Somerset won? And Middlesex still in the hunt...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Meanwhile, at the other end of the table, it looks like Warwickshire will beat Lancashire, so I have to hope Durham don't lose to Hampshire.

At the top I'm hoping for a draw at Lord's so Somerset win.

[ 23. September 2016, 09:25: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

No draw at Lord's, but Middlesex won in dramatic fashion with a hat-trick! Somerset must be sick but it wasn't the first "contrived finish" this season. Durham beat Hampshire so Lancashire survive, despite not winning since May!

My award for courage goes to James Hildreth for batting for four hours and making a hundred with the aid of painkillers and a runner, despite what turned out to be a broken ankle. There are pictures of his bruised ankle on Cricinfo - you've been warned.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Although I don't much follow county cricket these days I'm a bit chuffed that Middlesex won the title. It seems to have been a great game.

Meanwhile India look set fair to win in Kanpur - last time the Kiwis were over here they toured Bangladesh then India and went home having not won a match, I rather hope they can do better this time. Yes, I want India to win but...

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

...and in a somewhat surreal end to the season my team made 258-7 in 35 overs having been 9-5. We then bowled the opposition out for under 100 with one bowler taking five for six - all wides, no runs off the bat - and I weighed in at the other end with a career-best 5-46. I've played when the guy at the other end took all ten, but I'm pretty certain that I've never played in a game where two bowlers both took five-fors.

AG
(I won't mention the duck...)

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NZ vs India.
The kiwis look to be getting rolled in the first test at Kanpur. They played well in that after a lost toss restricting India to around 300 in first innings but then were bowled out 63 behind. India capitalised on exhausted NZ bowlers to get over 300 ahead and facing day 5 NZ is 4 down for not a lot.
Victory for India looming (sigh).

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
...(I won't mention the duck...)

A l'orange?

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Titter ye not, that sort of thing has been served up as a voodoo offering when batting form has deserted me (only ever happens on Sundays ending in Y).

AG

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

So the Kiwis need 376 to win with 5 and a bit sessions to go which is 50 or so more than anyone has ever made in the 4th innings at Eden Gardens.

It all sounds like excellent fun.

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So the Kiwis need 376 to win with 5 and a bit sessions to go which is 50 or so more than anyone has ever made in the 4th innings at Eden Gardens.

It all sounds like excellent fun.

And they do not have their best player. And the pitch is dodgy. Be a cricketing miracle for them to even draw let alone win

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It's all over with a day to spare and India move to Number One in the Test rankings!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016