homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread (Page 22)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would trade the all blacks losing for a bit of cricketing satisfaction.

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Early on Session 2 of Day 2 of the Third Test against New Zealand and India have just got to 400/3 with Kohli on 170 and Rahane on 145.

It's the first ever Test at Indore and it's looking good.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why, oh why didn't India enforce the follow-on against New Zealand or are they just after a bit more batting practice, or are they trying to extend the match to the full five days?

You've just got the opposition out for 299 leaving you with a lead of 258 so why bat again? It all seems nonsense to me.

Plus they have had 2 players warned for running on the pitch, which doesn't win them any friends and, I'm glad to say, cost them 5 penalty runs.

It's still the best game in the world [AND the only game played in Heaven] but sometimes...

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The match still didn't last 5 days, India won by 321 runs on the 4th afternoon. Ashington got 13 of the 20 Kiwi wickets. Now it is on to the ODI series that starts Sunday in Dharamsala, where it is guaranteed to be a bit cooler.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations!

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:

None for you today, I'm afraid, Jamat - India won with 101 balls to spare!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...but tonight New Zealand have won by 6 runs - they fought wonderfully hard to get there - a real classic of a game.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tight as a whelk's arse in Chittagong at the moment. Some very good bowling by Stokes and Rashid this morning seemed to put England on top, but Bangladesh have also bowled superbly and I think it's right back in the balance again. Nailbiter!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

England now 46/4! Just 91 runs ahead with 6 wickets to go.

YIKES!

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
Tight as a whelk's arse

Thank you. I am now just looking for a conversation I can slip that into!
[Killing me]

AG

(108-5, looking a bit better but still...)

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I think I have to acknowledge Douglas Adams for that one (although a quick google doesn't give me the exact reference). It's not my own work, anyway. [Biased]

Still, Johnny Bairstow and Ben Stokes, having been two of the most involved players while England were fielding, are scoring all the runs as well. We're giving ourselves half a chance, if we bowl well.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has umpire Dharmasena had all the tricky decisions to make or is he really such an awful umpire? I've not seen any coverage but he has had six decisions overturned on review.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

228/8 means a lead of 273 - it is probably enough already but there are 2 more days to go so I think England will want to score a few more tomorrow morning to make themselves feel a bit more secure.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
228/8 means a lead of 273 - it is probably enough already but there are 2 more days to go so I think England will want to score a few more tomorrow morning to make themselves feel a bit more secure.

That is true, but with reviews being overturned at a rate of more than three per innings who knows what will happen.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Has umpire Dharmasena had all the tricky decisions to make or is he really such an awful umpire? I've not seen any coverage but he has had six decisions overturned on review.

On a pitch turning square, I think it's reasonable to have sympathy for the umpires. (I also think it's reasonable to have scepticism about the ball tracking technology, but that's another story). I reckon they've got quite a few tricky ones right as well.

Anyway, I don't have statistics for which have had the worse decisions to make, although at one point late on today, I noticed the Sky commentators saying that he had had a better day today than yesterday.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was a great day's cricket on a difficult pitch. Could still be close today. But England have the edge now,

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bangladesh four down needing another 150 to win. If this pair hang on it could be tasty. Plus I believe the Tigers have taken twenty wickets against England for the first time in a test. Much more enjoyable than handing out a thrashing to a minnow, let's have a tight finish!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Lowish scoring games on a pitch with a bit in it for the bowlers are the best.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... and now on a knife edge ...

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

33 runs OR 2 wickets for victory - is that tight enough for you? It sounds brilliant to me.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I watched almost the whole day, and I don't think I was comfortable for a single second. Absorbing stuff, and well done Bangladesh.

And I tell you what else: unless we can both bowl better and bat better, I reckon India are going to murder us.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
I watched almost the whole day, and I don't think I was comfortable for a single second. Absorbing stuff, and well done Bangladesh.

And I tell you what else: unless we can both bowl better and bat better, I reckon India are going to murder us.

Early call tomorrow (5am in UK). I'm not missing this.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

quote:
33 runs OR 2 wickets for victory - is that tight enough for you? It sounds brilliant to me.

Tight as s whelks arse! Wow!

AG

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

India continued the demolition of the Kiwis today, after the hiccough (hiccup?) on Thursday. But I think England might be a tougher nut to crack.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

All over in a little over 20 minutes, Bangladesh fought well but England are the ones who scraped home.

Please, ICC, don't reduce Tests to 4 days!

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Great game! Very well played Bangladesh, and well done to England too.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

... and unpucker!

AG

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

India win in Vishakapatnam by a fair-sized margin so take the ODI series against the Kiwis 3-2, having previously swept the Test series. But NZ must be pleased that they have done a lot better and been far more competitive than the team that previously India a few years ago.

As for the England match in Dhaka, it is beginning to look interesting, tomorrow could be a fascinating day's play.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

About half an hour to go until lunch in Dhaka and Bangladesh are 232/4 in their second innings, a lead of 208 - so from now on I reckon the pressure is really on England who only got 244 in their first innings and the pitch, although good, is bound to wear a bit - and there are still 8 sessions to go!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

To quote Alistair Cook:

quote:
It's not easy for me to say, but it's a good win for Bangladesh cricket. Maybe some things are bigger than one game.
England now have to travel across the border to India where the First Test in the next series starts in Rajkot on 9th November - different country, very different climate and conditions! It should be fun.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Just checking in from a departure lounge in an airport in Pakistan's adopted home to say well done to Bangladesh. Very impressive, thoroughly deserved, and I hope this does great things for the game in that country.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Southern hemisphere test matches resumed today at the WACA. Mitchell Starc and Dave Warner of Australia gave master-classes in how to bowl and bat respectively at the WACA. I doubt if Dale Steyn of South Africa will bowl so loosely again in the rest of this series; he knows how to adapt to conditions and has 400 test wickets to show it.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Come day 2, and it seems that the rest of Australia's batters were not paying attention during Warner's masterclass of day 1. So they reverted to their subcontinental practice and staged a collapse. From 0/150 , Australia went to be all out for 244.

But I was half-right about Steyn. Not only will he not bowl so loosely again this series, but he won't bowl at all, having broken a bone in his shoulder.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Talking about a Master Class J-P Duminy has just made his hundred. SA now 217 ahead with 8 wickets in hand and just over 8 sessions to go.

eta: sorry, just over 7 sessions to go!

[Hot and Hormonal]

[ 05. November 2016, 04:44: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...and at stumps on Day 3 SA lead by 388 with 4 wickets remaining and the pitch deteriorating a bit. The next two days could be fascinating.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

quote:

Well, you are halfway there...

AG

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

SA win the First Test against Australia in Perth by 177 runs and Rabada gets a five-fer.

Man of the Match not yet announced but I reckon it has to go to either Duminy or Rabada - perhaps they could share it.

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
SA win the First Test against Australia in Perth by 177 runs and Rabada gets a five-fer.

Man of the Match not yet announced but I reckon it has to go to either Duminy or Rabada - perhaps they could share it.

Woo hoo yay. And with Dale Steyn injured. Should be a great series. SA doggedness and refusal to go away pays off.
They were 5for 81 batting first. That has got to be some kind of cricketing miracle to win from there.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
quote:

Woo hoo yay. And with Dale Steyn injured. Should be a great series. SA doggedness and refusal to go away pays off.
They were 5for 81 batting first. That has got to be some kind of cricketing miracle to win from there.

I'd call it SA doggedness too, but in the final innings four Australia batsmen got starts, making more than twenty but not then reaching fifty. Had a couple of them gone on, then Australia might well have kept going for another three hours and saved the game. It makes that amazing run out even more important!

Faf duPlessis deserves a lot of credit for keeping his bowlers going. 120 overs with three-and-a-half bowlers is good.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

England did far better than just about anyone expected - well done them. Joe Root was his usual amazing self and Hameed had a good debut - let's hope Ali gets at least one more run tomorrow.

Of course I still hope for an India victory but what I really love is a damned good match!

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We want far more than one run from Moeen tomorrow. Would ideally like to see him carry his bat until at least tea, so that England can declare and have half an hour to bowl at India at the end of the day.

Yet to see Root's wicket, but from several text descriptions of it, it sounded distinctly dodgy.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

537 all out within a few minutes after tea - that is pretty firm foundation. What can India make of this now?

If England can get a couple of early wickets it could be very interesting.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Haven't been able to see any of the game. Is it a flat track or did England bat particularly well?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Rajkot is always a good batting pitch for the first 2 or 3 days but it can deteriorate towards the end, sometimes dramatically.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard chatter on TMS this morning about an expectation that the pitch may "blow up" towards the end and that you wouldn't want to bat last.

i.e. India will dig in, aim to bat for almost 2 more days and give England a day + 45 minutes to get something like 150.

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Sounds like a plan.

Rajkot is in the north west, part of Gujarat these days and is very hot and dry. Awful conditions for playing cricket!

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
Haven't been able to see any of the game. Is it a flat track or did England bat particularly well?

The latter, 3 hundreds from Root,Stokes and the guy with the big beard (Moeen Ali). Broad got a bit of tap at end of the day. India 40for 0 at close of play. Good batting track but commentators expect it to start turning. India currently are 111/1 after 39 overs.

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

162/1 after 50 overs at lunch.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

2 wickets in the last 4 balls of the day and India close on 319/4 - not even avoided the follow-on yet!

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

This could yet be interesting. If the pitch is becoming a minefield and England get a 1st innings lead of 70+ then India may be facing a battle against turn and uneven bounce on the last day.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016