homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
This edition of the Twenty20 World Cup has produced some real nail-biting cricket - long may it continue.

Permission to be a grumpy old curmudgeon and point out that wondering whether the final over is going to produce a MEGA-SWITCH-HIT-SUPER-BOUNDARY-POWER-SHOT doesn't count as nail-biting.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
This edition of the Twenty20 World Cup has produced some real nail-biting cricket - long may it continue.

Permission to be a grumpy old curmudgeon and point out that wondering whether the final over is going to produce a MEGA-SWITCH-HIT-SUPER-BOUNDARY-POWER-SHOT doesn't count as nail-biting.
And I've seen backward points placed deeper than some ODI/T20 bounderies. #HarrumphHarrumph

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Windies beat back the Ozzies with 6 wickets and two balls to spare. This is a happy house!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...and, unsurprisingly, India beat Bangladesh and are now assured of a place in the semifinals.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thinking of the Australia - West Indies match: James Faulkner was on record as saying, prior to the match, that he doesn't like the West Indies - will he like them more or less now?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting that Australia curled up and died last night versus India - all out for 86!

It will be interesting semi-finals in the T20!

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Collapses seemed the order of the day yesterday with England rolling over and dying for The Netherlands and then New Zealand doing the same for Sri Lanka thanks to an amazing five-for by Herath - what a gem he was!

Today we have the race for the Wooden Spoon between Australia and Bangladesh, which could be fun, then the "quarter final play-off" between West Indies and Pakistan - that should be an interesting match.

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a little bemused to see all this comment on the T20 tournament here. Y'all know this is a cricket thread, right?
Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yes, of course, I'm sorry - I forget it is a game that the Aussies don't [can't?] play.

[Biased]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, y'know, any cricket is better than no cricket...

AG
(could have had that Dutch captain. Argh!)

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Too right. Here is a list (probably not exhaustive) of sports we can't play:
  • Curling
  • Lacrosse (seriously, what the fuck is that?)
  • Royal Tennis
  • T20

Now there are probably others. What these items have in common is not just that Aussies don't play them well, but that they barely qualify as sports at all.

(x-post - the point is, T20 ain't cricket)

[ 01. April 2014, 08:35: Message edited by: Dark Knight ]

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

I note with interest that the Australian women have won the T20 World Cup - for the third time.

Pity about the boys, eh?

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

So when an Aussie coach shouts "You're playing like a girl!" it is a compliment.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

p.s. - it probably always is.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poor old Trotty. It seems his attempt to come back to first class cricket have been put on hold due to a relapse in his stress related condition.

All the best to him and his family.

But, on this subject, I find the difference in tone between Nick Hoult in the Telegraph, and Mike Selvey in the Guardian quite amazing.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had our first game of the season on Saturday. A 40-run defeat suggests we may have another long, hard slog ahead of us, but on the plus side I got a wicket* and scored 57 [Smile] .

*= I'm normally the 'keeper. But I'm also the only bugger in the first team who can bowl spin, so who knows what's going to happen this year... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
We had our first game of the season on Saturday. A 40-run defeat suggests we may have another long, hard slog ahead of us, but on the plus side I got a wicket* and scored 57 [Smile] .

*= I'm normally the 'keeper. But I'm also the only bugger in the first team who can bowl spin, so who knows what's going to happen this year... [Roll Eyes]

Lots of byes, missed stumpings and dropped catches I expect. Put a Fat Lad behind the stumps, get him to keep his legs together and he might block some just by being there.

Good luck!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Lots of byes, missed stumpings and dropped catches I expect. Put a Fat Lad behind the stumps, get him to keep his legs together and he might block some just by being there.

I'd normally agree, but the pretender to my keeping crown is my own dear brother so I'll demur on that count!

[ 24. April 2014, 15:54: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pity about the loss, but that's a decent start for you, Marvin. I took 1-28 off 6 (it was 1-16 off 5, but someone decided to have a slog...), having heroically watched the, guy at the other end last two balls... We did win, though.

The forecast for tomorrow looks shocking, though. I just hope that if we lose the match to rain we lose the whole thing - the one thing I dislike about cricket (bar my level of ability) is having to play half a , get drenched, and abandon it. I'd rather the whole game or not at all.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

We got 30 overs in, and were 147-3 (M T Martian 33) (and well set for a 250-plus score and a probable win) when the rains came. Such is life.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

We got called off mid-morning. Given that it royally threw it down at about 2.30, the right call. So I still haven't faced a ball this season.

Anyone else think that CSK's yellow trousers add new pyjamaness to pyjama cricket?

AG

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I'm a CSK fan but would still prefer them all to wear whites - but then where would the advertising stickers go? I hate Punjab's strip, it is beyond tacky!

Mumbai come back to India still win-less - they have Zaheer Khan, Lasith Malinga, Harbhajan Singh, Pragyan Ojha and Kieron Powell, some of the best bowlers in the world, so their batsmen must be really crap! Actually I think their problem is that they play as 11 individuals and not as a team.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...and, shock horror, I've just realised there is no match tonight! What on Earth will I do all evening?

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Eat? [Devil]

AG

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

[Killing me]

Thanks for the suggestion!

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I'm almost minded to arbitrarily exercise my hostly powers and ban all mention of the IPL from this thread on the basis that it isn't really cricket.

Only almost though. [Smile]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
I'm almost minded to arbitrarily exercise my hostly powers and ban all mention of the IPL from this thread on the basis that it isn't really cricket.

Only almost though. [Smile]

We'd need someone to look after "legal and commercial" matters as bankers, lawyers and multi-millionaires appear to be the main players in the IPL.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I agree it is not really cricket, I'm not totally convinced that it is even sport, but I can't see what other category it could be placed under - sometimes it is barely entertainment!

eta: particularly when a certain Pouting Tasmanian is on screen!

[ 02. May 2014, 07:22: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
...we may have another long, hard slog ahead of us...

...or not. This weekend we were playing against one of the teams who came down last year, and after restricting them to 188 from their 50 overs we won by seven wickets with 17 overs to spare [Big Grin] .

We were 41-3 at one stage, but I was coming in at five so there were never any real worries [Biased] .

How did your weekend go, Sandemaniac?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Other things happening in life made it a bit hairy, but did get a match in (sadly said other things will limit that for a while).

We made 195-9 on a slab of mud with a crust, very slow pitch, so slow that the opening bowler appealed for LBW twice, only to be defeated by then hearing bat on ball!

They started so slowly they were never going to get near, though they weren't losing wickets, until with ten overs to go and 120ish to get (!) they finally started to tumble. I took 1-18 off 5 (four bad balls - each clubbed for 4...) but was wildly upstaged by a youngster of 66 who took 5-7, all bowled, and his figures would have been even better without a four off his last ball!

All out for 91 in the end.

AG

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

In my paper the other day was a report from UK about Wirral CC [Wirral is my old stamping ground] getting Haslingden all out for just 3 - and two of those were leg byes! One guy got 7-1.

Quite impressive figures, I suppose.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Blimey! My works team (largely makeweights) has just won a game despite making just 113 in 20 overs! Twas a dank and dismal evening, and the outfield has only just got its first cut (twenty-odd tons of top dressing still sat on the boundary!), so it was horribly horribly slow going, hardly a boundary in the innings. I made 27 before being run out (by the bloke at the other end, of course, I guess it's karma for the number of times I've done it!).

Funnily enough, we caught superbly - I think the darkness mean lots of reflex catches, I know the one I took was! The opposition switched their order (lots of "Bugger! Trying to keep him there! when people got out), and their last pair were going famously (not helped by my bowling like a drain - I blame having the wind behind me) when with six to win off the last ball, batsman missed and keeper stumped!

Right, having said all that I can drunkenly slope off to bed...

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

What kind of numpty organises an international cricket match in Aberdeen on May 9th?

Guess what? It's raining and it looks like it will do all day.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

True, but Cricinfo's coverage has been hilarious. They should do it more often! Currently looks like 22 overs starting at 4pm which is a bit of a travesty, but if you will play in Aberdeen in May...

AG

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Beg pardon, 23 overs...

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

That crucial 23rd over which turns it from a money-making farce to a genuine sporting occasion. [Biased]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

You could be right...

Just good to see it finally get under way - on a ground closer to Stavanger than St John's Wood!

AG

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Just a brief mention of IPL, if I can claim the indulgence of IF for a minute:

I have got much malicious enjoyment this season from KP's complete disaster of captaincy of the Delhi Daredevils - a complete pig's ear, I doubt I could have scripted it better.

That's all.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

What is happening to England? We are winning ODIs! OK, it's early in the season, but any ODI win is good and a couple against Sri Lanka in a decade is good, let alone in a single series.

The gloomy part of me suggests this is another bowler-led dead cat bounce, and as soon as we get 500-run pitches, we'll be stuffed.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
What is happening to England? We are winning ODIs! OK, it's early in the season, but any ODI win is good and a couple against Sri Lanka in a decade is good, let alone in a single series.

The gloomy part of me suggests this is another bowler-led dead cat bounce, and as soon as we get 500-run pitches, we'll be stuffed.

Yes, you wonder if it's an early season phenomenon, whereby some English bowlers are able to exploit the conditions, dampness, and so on. Later on, if the sun shines, and SL pile up the runs, what then? I'm all agog.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Bugger the IPL final, I'v just watched from the other end while a good mate took

(wait for it)

(you will not believe this)

10-21 in 7.4!

Once in a lifetime stuff, and it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

AG

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Great figures, indeed.

But the IPL final was good as well - swung both ways, Gambhir chewing his nails. I had no horse in the race but it was an exciting spectacle.

--------------------

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well the England test squad for the series against Sri Lanka has been announced (on the BBC here) and it looks quite exciting. I think our fast bowling with Jordan and Anderson should be dangerous, and Plunkett has looked good this year.

The batting line up also has some interesting choices - Obv Cook will open with Robson, but Bell, Root and Ballance will be middle order but in what order? Our weak link is going to be the spinner - no real out and out spin bowler but then we are preparing the pitches!

I'm looking forward to going to the second test at Headingley/

Tom

[Edited to include a link to click, because clicky links are nice. [Smile]
iF, Circus host]

[ 06. June 2014, 07:07: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

With 12 in the squad I think Chris Woakes will carry the drinks. That gives England Anderson, Broad, Jordan and Plunkett to bowl with Prior and six batsmen, Moeen Ali joining the five Tom Day mentions.

I reckon Moeen will be asked to bat at 3, because Bell will throw his toys out of the pram if asked to bat there, though he is the obvious choice. Root will be at 6 and he can share the spinning duties with Moeen Ali.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I confess I haven't followed England's summer so far. I vaguely heard that we looked like we would do okay in the one-dayers, then lost. C'est la vie!

Does anyone hold any hope for the Tests?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

For those who can get it (I suspect that Wodders might struggle, for one!), I've managed to get my mate's feat into the Cricket Paper - they phoned him and have ran quite a nice little piece. Pages 37 and 38, I think.

Tests? I think "Hmmmm..." is my view there!

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Sandemaniac, I'm pleased for your teammate. Tenfers are very rare, even in schools cricket where there may be one outstanding bowler in an otherwise mediocre team.

As for England's prospects, I reckon the bowling looks good, especially with two genuine quick bowlers, but only two of the top six batsmen have much experience in Test cricket.

England need "sporting" wickets to prevent the opposition scoring a mountain of runs, because I don't think we are going to score 300+ reliably.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Ah, June, when a man's thoughts turn inevitably to that most anticipated of weeks...

Tour [Big Grin] .

Just two more days. I can't wait.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Do report back in when the hungover wreckage staggers home, Marvin!

AG

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016