homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  24  25  26 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

England need "sporting" wickets to prevent the opposition scoring a mountain of runs, because I don't think we are going to score 300+ reliably.

We haven't scored 300+ for a long time... I'm kinda hoping that the new players dig in and show what they are made off. Bell needs to bat at 3/4 and be the linchpin - If he plays well we should do ok.

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Day:
quote:

England need "sporting" wickets to prevent the opposition scoring a mountain of runs, because I don't think we are going to score 300+ reliably.

We haven't scored 300+ for a long time... I'm kinda hoping that the new players dig in and show what they are made off. Bell needs to bat at 3/4 and be the linchpin - If he plays well we should do ok.

Tom

I don't think Sri Lanka or India pose the threat Australia did last winter. If Cook and Bell can do well, then the others will rise to it, but I don't see us doing well without those two getting plenty of runs, often. Then again, Lancashire, also under Peter Moores, won the County Championship three years ago with good bowling and out-cricket and just two class batsmen - the others were pretty run of t'mill.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 23992 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A pretty good first day. Shame about the top 3 but the others have done well. Good to see Root in the runs and Prior back to what looks like his best with the bat. He always has been good in the 3rd session at plundering the runs!

Hopefully we can get to 450 by tomorrow lunch and then have them 5 down by the end of the day. Good game this cricket!

--------------------
My allotment blog

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having been put into bat, I would say that 340ish-5 is a decent day's work. Nice to see Lord Bell get a few. It'll be interesting to see if the pitch flattens out on day 2 and 3. If it does, then there's no reason Sri Lanka couldn't get a lead. Then it'll be all to play for. Bring it on!

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At 120-4 Sri Lanka must have thought that the decision to put England in was a good one. It doesn't look like that now, and the SL 'attack' has just about bowled England's middle order into form!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

The wicket though is not helping a result. I don't know why we prepared such a docile pitch. If we can get a lead of 120 or so, we could force a result and put pressure on the Sri Lankans on Monday afternoon.

From what I saw on the highlights and listened to during the day our bowlers were ok, although Plunkett may have been a little short at times. We are in desperate need for a new world class spinner, but I cant think of any in the county game at the moment either. Jordan looks a good find though.

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Plunkett always bowled short in his earlier incarnation; like too many England bowlers he is scared to pitch it up in case he gets driven. While top batsmen can play spin bowling off the pitch they can only do that with quicker bowling If. You. Bowl. Too. Short. Do they want to be pulled and cut instead?

I reckon England did pretty well today. In the first half Sri Lanka made about 140-1, as they did yesterday then in the rest a bit less for five wickets! That ought to be worth a lead of about a hundred, so bat until an hour into day five and give Sri Lanka 75 overs to make about 400.

Armchair Captain signing off.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The game was nicely poised, it still is, but then I realised I had nodded off and missed probably 2 overs so I am chickening out and heading for bed - it could go any way tomorrow - cricket at its best.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

A good day of Test cricket that could hopefully give a result tomorrow. Hopefully Cook will Declare in the morning and give us 3 sessions to bowl out the Sri Lankans.

Well played Ballance - we needed someone to hold the innings together and he stepped up to the plate. In actual fact, the way we lost the wickets probably have helped us get the match into this position. Still worried about Cook's form - he needs to get a score soon.

Looking forward to checking the score during the day tomorrow.

--------------------
My allotment blog

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was some finish! Well played Sri Lanka for just seeing it out, but it shows that by being sentimental and allowing Ballance to get a maiden test century, England should have delcared last night, giving them 40 minutes to bat.

Jolly exciting stuff, though.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3694 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:
That was some finish! Well played Sri Lanka for just seeing it out, but it shows that by being sentimental and allowing Ballance to get a maiden test century, England should have delcared last night, giving them 40 minutes to bat.

Jolly exciting stuff, though.

But then, the other side to that is that 40 mins previous to Ballance's century England had a lead of about 300 instead of 390. That extra 90 runs could have been different and Sri Lanka would prob have thought if we are 180/190 for 2 or 3 at Tea we could do it.

At 0-0 in the series at the first match, knowing that the pitch at Headingley is probably going to less of a pudding Cook's first thought is to bat them out of the game totally. Which we did. I think you always look back at declarations and think that they came 1 hour or so too late, or 50/60 runs too late but then that is hindsight. And if the target was different Sri Lanka would have a different mind set...

--------------------
My allotment blog

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Ah, yes, Headingley.

Not to the same extent as in days gone by, but this is a result wicket, provided the weather holds. England may well be tempted to play a spinner but why do so at Headingley? One needs another swing bowler there, or someone who can hit the seam reliably, rather than a spinner or a hit-the-deck merchant like Plunkett (though his runs are useful).

To keep the Tykes happy would Tim Bresnan be worth a recall or maybe Jack Brooks is worth a chance? He's no kid (age's 30) but he knows his craft.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I gather that England managed to bowl far fewer overs than they should or could have. It seems to me that this is very much shooting yourself in the foot. Does anyone think that the last Sri Lankan pair would have batted out another 30 balls - it didn't look likely, they only just survived the over. It seems very curious not to get on with it when you are needing wickets, given that there was no chance of the batting side getting the runs, certainly not after lunch.

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 911 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

England's dull, defensive and unadventurous captain (according to a certain Australian) puts Sri Lanka in and his team dismisses them for just over 250. One of our better days.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

quote:
England's dull, defensive and unadventurous captain (according to a certain Australian) puts Sri Lanka in and his team dismisses them for just over 250. One of our better days.

With a hat trick for Stuart Broad as well, and 5 forLiam Plunkett.

I'm quite happy that we are batting and Cook and Robson are unbeaten as we are heading down in the morning for the day. Looking forward to taking the eldest mini day for his first day of test cricket. And the weather is looking fair!

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
New film: The Muppets take to the crease at Headingly.

We bowled badly. The captain didn't direct his bowlers where to bowl. We played some right daft shots, including the night watchman.

It's not so much that Sri Lanka deserve to win. But the abysmal display we've put on since the last session of day 2, we deserve to lose. [Mad]

--------------------

Posts: 3694 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ugh! Defeat looks to have been snatched from the jaws of a possible victory. England really have been poor for the last two days.

Rebuilding will take some time, I guess. I also suspect Cooke's goose is cooked, and he might even prefer to lose the captaincy.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 20924 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

From around 5.30 on Sat, when we were 280 odd for 3 we have managed to throw away a seemingly easy victory. I think we have just lost that ruthlessness - pressing home the advantage. 2/3 yrs ago we would have won, probably in 3 days. We had the winning mentality.

We actually batted very well for the majority of Sat. Robson and Ballance looked in no trouble and the crowd were in shock really when Ballance went.

I don't think it is anyone's fault, we just need to win a few matches and then hopefully the players will remember what it is like to win, and know when to put the pressure on etc.

--------------------
My allotment blog

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

The whole cricketing world knows Cook has a problem outside the off stump. The Sri Lankans have just continued what the Australians exploited in the winter. He needs to hand over the captaincy to Bell for the rest of the summer and concentrate on his technique with a good batting coach.

Joe Root will be England captain one day, but not for another five or more years.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Captaincy by a combination of inaction and I-haven't-a-clue! IF cook is still captain in the series against India I see great prospects for an Indian victory.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

Wow. What an ending. I switched the radio on at 4ish expecting to find TMS finished for the day and have been hooked following the cricket and the football. Well played Sri Lanka - over the last 3 days they deserve the win, but credit to the English lower order today. Ali staying in all day and Anderson with an almost match saving 0 from 54 balls. He must have been devastated when he fended one off with 2 balls to go in the day.

The 2 tests have been an advert for test cricket, 2 teams both with some good players, but also some areas for development showing that the game is still well and truly alive. England should have won the first match, and had chances in the second. And sri Lanka saved teh first match and remained calm when it mattered. Well played!

--------------------
My allotment blog

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

That was an incredible finish last night, I felt so sorry for Anderson and he looked so dejected - Moeen Ali was a star performer for England. Sri Lanka, as Tom Day said, deserved the victory that, quite frankly, I thought had passed them by.

Test cricket at its very best.

--------------------

TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was a very exciting series actually. Two excellent Test matches. Between - I would say - two rather average teams.

The Sri Lankan bowling is modest, I feel. England should have scored more against them. I think the England batting would look rather fragile against a more hostile attack and I'm not convinced by Robson in particular, despite his century - his footwork looks a bit slow. Ali and Ballance look more promising.

The England bowling is better, I think. Plunkett bowled very well at times, Anderson and Broad are reliable (though how much longer can Jimmy keep going?) and Jordan was OK too. They really need a good spinner though. Shame Monty seems to have lost the plot.

Posts: 1081 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone explain to me just what the Trent Bridge groundsperson is smoking? Thanks. [Smile]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
Can anyone explain to me just what the Trent Bridge groundsperson is smoking? Thanks. [Smile]

Just like the pitch: the wrong kind of grass.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

You're sure it wasn't anything stronger?

But having said that, India just lost four wickets for two runs. I didn't see it, but that sounds potentially like it'll let England vaguely into the game.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If we can shift the last pair, who have already made 43 for the last wicket. England seem to have a bit of a blind spot when it comes to shifting numbers ten and jack!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3546 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
If we can shift the last pair, who have already made 43 for the last wicket.

Make that 71...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3546 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
quote:
If we can shift the last pair, who have already made 43 for the last wicket.

Make that 71...

AG

I reckon that has evened out those four soft wickets.
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Especially with India's number ten biffing Anderson to the sightscreen for six to bring up the hundred partnership.

AG

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Cooooooooook!!!! [Mad]

Surely with form like that he is cannot be deserving of a place in the team. Forget whether or not he is captain for the time being, a batsman needs to be there on merit.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:
Cooooooooook!!!! [Mad]

Surely with form like that he is cannot be deserving of a place in the team. Forget whether or not he is captain for the time being, a batsman needs to be there on merit.

On that basis Mike Brearley would have played just two tests against the West Indies and England would have lost their best captain ever. I think he averaged 25 over forty-odd tests and never made a hundred.

Cook's different. He's not such a great captain (neither were Strauss or, IMHO, Ricky Ponting) but he is a top-class batsman who has been through bad form before and recovered. The main problem is that England has lost three of the top five batsmen in two years (two in the last six months) and Cook's poor form is very noticeable. Oh, and our most dependable bowler has quit, so the team needs more runs, especially in the first innings.

Apart from all that, if Cook doesn't deserve a place, who does? Do you want two rookie openers?

[ 10. July 2014, 17:01: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I wonder if someone else shouldn't take the captaincy for a while.

Also, I missed his dismissal. How was he out?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

According to Cricinfo, he was bowled leg-stump having moved too far across. [Frown]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Oh boy.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Oh Jimmy Jimmy,
Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Anderson!

What a morning. Highest ever tenth wicket stand by England, Jimmy gets his maiden First Class fifty, Joe Root gets another ton, and the Indian fielders look as ragged as England's did early in the match.

I'm sure it'll all end in a draw, but this has been a thoroughly entertaining session. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...on a really terrible example of a test match pitch!

I was sorry Anderson didn't get his hundred but also relieved that we can move on a bit. Like IF I think a draw the most likely outcome - anything else would amaze me!

Test match cricket really is the ultimate - fascinating stuff.

[speeling]

[ 12. July 2014, 13:45: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Is it me or does Jimmy Anderson suffer from missed catches more than other England bowlers? Matt Prior did his best feet-of-clay, gloves-of-iron act today, and not for the first time.

I'm not sure why this should be: maybe he deceives fielders behind the wicket just as he does batsmen.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Friendly bowling conditions, and two quick wickets. England have a tiny smidgeon of an outside chance here...

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Another wicket and we'll be into their batting.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Well, I won my bet - a draw with some positives for both sides, but few for the curator!

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Brave decision by Captain Cook to put the Indians in. Pitch looks very, very green. But still...

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Can't Matt Prior give an Indian a shove, please?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

So long as we don't see him shirtless in a nightclub, I don't really care what he does.

Except, perhaps he could snaffle his chances like Ballance snaffles his twelfth pint.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It's a very long time since I've seen a pitch as green as that for a Test Match - I find it quite heartening and it certainly seems to have been a bit lively!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
It's a very long time since I've seen a pitch as green as that for a Test Match - I find it quite heartening and it certainly seems to have been a bit lively!

My impression is that not only does it benefit bowlers (when they pitch it up) but there's also a bit of pace about it, which helps batsmen once they get in. Still, it's often reckoned that pitches are better on day 2 - let's see if England can make it pay.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Cook out for 10 this time.

Back in the sixties and seventies John Edrich spent most of his career playing outside off-stump and missing. More recently Marcus Trescothick did so almost as much. In between Graeme Fowler, all the time. All lefties, all openers.

David Gower on the other hand wasn't an opener but he was a very good batsman. He played and missed as much as any of the above but by going in at four it didn't matter so much as the ball wasn't moving as sharply.

Maybe Cook's problem is that he alone is good enough to get a touch. In addition to moving his feet should Cook consider moving down the order?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Cook will be given the rest of this series to prove himself with the bat, and as captain. If India win several tests, and England fail to win any, presumably he will be gone.

--------------------
everything must go.

Posts: 9631 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

He's had plenty of opportunities. In my view, selection has to be based on current form, not past glories or future potential.

Time for him to be given a break from the side so he can go and get some practice at county level, sort out his gremlins with a batting coach and, if his form merits it, come back on the winter tour.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Problem with that is that we're into that part of the summer where there's no Proper Cricket™ for him to take part in. It's all T20 and so on for the next little while. So perhaps there's a Second XI game he could play, or a club game, but is that really the answer?

I think it might be better for him to drop down the order. But the question there is who should open, and who to drop if that person is not already in the team?

I don't fancy being a selector grappling with that one!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  24  25  26 

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016