homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At least we have one left-hander who can lay bat on ball. Well done Gary Ballance!

And oh bugger, Moeen goes for 32. He's got everything but keeps getting out instead of kicking on.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Proper Test cricket in India's second innings: 169-4 in 63 overs. India got something like that in the last session of Day 1 so England have improved in at least one respect.

I'm wondering if South Africa shouldn't have batted Sri Lanka out of the game: SL have made 110-1 in pursuit of 370 and they are probably as good at chasing totals, even on Day 5 pitches.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the spin demon hasn't been seen much this year, but there were definitely mephitic odours and sulphurous whiffs about today - 2-50 may not sound great, but I was bowling at a County U17 player for most of it. Bowled the guy at the other end round his legs (always satisfying, even if I'd tried to bowl him a googly), then caught and bowled his replacement two balls later with an absolute blinder, full length across the strip and just got it in my fingertips. I also hit my second six in a week - straight over the bowlers head into the sightscreen, very satisfying. Pity I then conspired to run myself out and we lost, but that's cricket...

As for England, well, they needed Gus Fraser, they got Private Fraser.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:

As for England, well, they needed Gus Fraser, they got Private Fraser.

AG

As in "We're doomed, I tell ye. Doomed!"

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Fat Lady may be warming up in the wings but there are a few hours yet before she breaks into song and I'm not about to start counting any chickens when the eggs are showing no signs of cracking yet despite the [oh so supportive] doom and gloom on the ECB website.

Lots of stuff in the press here today about the ECB saying they have no plans to replace Cook and all that - so much so that if I were him I'd be really worried! I reckon he'd better watch his back walking through The Long Room today.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to say that I really felt for Joe Root when he played that really, really stupid shot! I would bet that will figure in his nightmares for a while.

I was surprised with the speed of England's surrender and wonder if/how it will affect the team selection for Southampton, to be announced tomorrow.

Meanwhile well done MSD and the boys.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shambolic.

And sacking Cook won't make the slightest difference. This is collective failure from one to eleven. Illustrates perfectly the hubris of the England team. Stuck inside their bubble with their pseudo-psycho-babble and their fake Zimbabwean accents. It's not about "it just didn't quite go our way" or "on another day we would have done alright". It's about batting properly and bowling to the conditions. Cricket is, fundamentally, not rocket science, no matter how the England management and players would like to dress it up that way.

Ridiculous.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Screw talent. Let's get a few hard bastards in: think Brian Close, Peter Willey, Ken Higgs and, more recently, Paul Nixon. Can't understand why Glen Chapple didn't get more chances, especially in ODIs.

Ask around the county circuit and the coaches know who these guys are. There will be some surprises. James Taylor anyone?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, none of my business but I agree with SS. Probably some hard bastards needed. If your lads capitulate to some genuine pace (our boy Mitch) or someone bouncing the ball around a bit (like Sharma just did), y'all probably need someone to put the fear of the many and various gods into the fielding team.
Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

When I heard yesterday that England's captain had quit I was surprised but thought there's an opportunity to turn things round.

Alas no. Steve Gerrard has retired as captain of England's football team. Cook is, as of 12:15 BST, still in place and regarded as "too stubborn to quit" by G Boycott, no stranger to stubbornness himself.

In other news Matt Prior is out of the rest of the Tests due to injury, but if the injury was as bad as it seems, why was he playing?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Denial?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's all a bit peculiar, isn't it? England win, win, win, then suddenly there's a precipitate collapse followed by an apparent total inability to drag themselves out of the hole. Admittedly there were signs last summer in the Ashes, which had "How the flip did we get that result" written all over it, but the magnitude of the ensuing collapse and the resultant shambles is startling. DK and Sioni might just have a point. I don't know if they were representative, but the Sharma bouncer I saw was only about 81mph - fast enough to cure me of constipation but surely that should be meat and drink to an international player?

As for Prior... I can only assume that England were backing him to play through the injury and come good, keeping is such a specialized role that he's the guy you surely should take fewest risks with injuries with? I hope he doesn't get replaced by Foster because I want Essex to go up this year!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
England win, win, win, then suddenly there's a precipitate collapse followed by an apparent total inability to drag themselves out of the hole.

I'm sure it's got nothing whatsoever to do with the tendency among the English sporting press (and many supporters) to start screaming about how shit the England players, coaches, selectors, etc. are as soon as they lose a single match, regardless of how many wins preceded it. That sort of thing can't possibly put any extra pressure onto them at exactly the time when they least need it, can it...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Oh gods, no, Marvin, whatever makes you think there might be any connection at all?

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
England win, win, win, then suddenly there's a precipitate collapse followed by an apparent total inability to drag themselves out of the hole.

I'm sure it's got nothing whatsoever to do with the tendency among the English sporting press (and many supporters) to start screaming about how shit the England players, coaches, selectors, etc. are as soon as they lose a single match, regardless of how many wins preceded it. That sort of thing can't possibly put any extra pressure onto them at exactly the time when they least need it, can it...
Not a single match though, is it?

As Sandemaniac suggests, the Ashes win last year was the least-deserved 3-0 of all time and at least three first choice players have since left the squad, either long-term or permanently (Trott, Swann and KP). Prior is now out for a bit, Cook and Bell are out of form, Broad is injured, Anderson faces possible suspension leaving rookie batsmen and Liam Plunkett.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Not a single match though, is it?

Not any more, no.

quote:
As Sandemaniac suggests, the Ashes win last year was the least-deserved 3-0 of all time and at least three first choice players have since left the squad, either long-term or permanently (Trott, Swann and KP). Prior is now out for a bit, Cook and Bell are out of form, Broad is injured, Anderson faces possible suspension leaving rookie batsmen and Liam Plunkett.
That's eight out of eleven players from a year ago who have either left, been injured or have other problems. So why are people so surprised and outraged that the result didn't go our way?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I think some of the surprise and outrage is about the manner of the defeats. It's one thing to try your best but get beaten by a better team. But some of the completely brainless capitulations in recent games (typified most obviously by that half-hour after lunch yesterday) is something completely different.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

You beat me to it, IF.

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I suppose the most depressing aspect of the summer has been that it nearly started so much better. Instead of losing the Sri Lanka series 1-0 we came within one wicket and two balls of winning the series by the same margin. I'm sure the mood in the dressing room would have been entirely different in those circumstances.

It wouldn't of itself have improved Cook's captaincy or his batting but it would have given the team a lift and they would be far less afraid of failure, which is where they are now, IMHO.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, Boycott, Botham, Atherton, Stewart and Vaughan all reckon Cook should jump before he's pushed. Only Aggers seems to think he should stay.

He's got to take a break surely? England need him too much as a batsman and he's just hopelessly out of form. Playing on and on and on doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I wonder what they are saying now that Cook is in the 80s and England are 186/1. The boy has been playing well - I bet Jedeja will kick himself all night for that drop when Cook was on 15!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Is that "chomp, chomp, chomp" the sound of hats and humble pie being eaten by pundits?

England were pretty turgid at times, but anything-2 is a good days work in Test cricket.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure about that - there is still plenty of negativity heading Cook's way. If they don't win this test, wait for the missiles heading his way.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He has to prove he's still got it as a captain, as well as a batsman...

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Yeah, some of the pundits last night were very quick to go from "all is lost" to "all is good". One score does not a summer make for a top quality batsman, and if the pitch is slow and flat then there's absolutely no reason why India couldn't bat for two days on it. Especially if the English bowling is as insipid as it has been at times this summer.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Gotta love small village cricket. Back in the ancestral village at the weekend, played for the visitors as they were short, and with one ball removed both my third cousin and my third cousin once removed! Pity he's already got 109 but you take what you can get.

AG

--------------------

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

Wickets falling. Good good.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

47 required to avoid the follow-on, with two wickets remaining. Looks a tall order but you know what last wicket partnerships have been like this summer. [Biased]

But, if we get them out quickly tomorrow, would you enforce the follow-on? Seems like a tough one to me. Trying to bat and score quickly for two sessions has it's appeal as it probably puts the game beyond India and gives the bowlers a short break. But perhaps the more aggressive thing to do would be to put them straight back in and try to finish it off. Tough call.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I think enforcing the follow-on would be the way to go, it's the only way that England can hope to win.

As for me, I'm hoping for a freak thunderstorm over Southampton.

Not really - if England do get a win it makes the next two matches even more exciting.

--------------------

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

I think they've got to make a judgement based on the conditions. Is the ball swinging about a lot? Is spin taking in any foot holes? How confident do they feel about a fourth innings run chase on what could by then be a very deteriorated wicket?

The most important thing is to skittle the last two in very short order so that at least we have the *option* of enforcing the follow on!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

It's clear that England are doing better than India but the umpires are having a shocker. The two in the middle are seeing edges wher none exist, and when they unnecessarily called on the "man in the van" for a TV replay that went wrong too. I think there have been four outright errors involving top-six batsmen.

At this rate England could have to bowl India out, not merely take ten second-innings wickets.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I think enforcing the follow-on would be the way to go, it's the only way that England can hope to win.

It would have been. Cook's decision to bat was a very poor one, another nail in the coffin of his captaincy.

To bat again shows he has ambitions only to not lose this test. Winning has become such an alien concept to him he doesn't know how to aim for it.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely, Cook is being considerate to the moaners and whingers, by not following on. Now they have all afternoon to have a rest, and then they will be able to come back, moaning and whinging either later today, or tomorrow morning. I tip my hat to the Chief!

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

India 42/2 chasing 444. This is starting to look good for England!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

As someone remarked on TMS over by over on the BBC website, Cook is only being true to English form - they beat sides by bowling them out, not making fourth innings run chases...

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Doubtless tomorrow the papers here will be baying for blood when last week they were saying how wonderful the Indian team was this time.

It was a just result, roll on Old Trafford!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Doubtless tomorrow the papers here will be baying for blood when last week they were saying how wonderful the Indian team was this time.

It was a just result, roll on Old Trafford!

Yes, a good result for England, but India have a good chance at Old Trafford for two reasons: Anderson is likely to be missing and England might well do a like-for-like replacement, rather than bring in a spinner. If India bat first, Moeen's arm will be hanging out of its socket by teatime on day 2 and he won't do anything heroic later on.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

It usually turns a bit at Old Trafford doesn't it? Perhaps India will pick their spinner and we all know what will happen then...

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Well, I'll bask in the glory for a few days, and wait and see what happens at Old Trafford. England are a bit like Stingray - anything could happen in the next half-hour!

Meanwhile it's back to watching the weather forecast - supposed to be playing Brendan from Strictly's side tomorrow, but the forecast is pants!

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Storm in Teacup officially over.

I reckon M S Dhoni and the India management can join the Third Test umpires in that humble pie eating banquet.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Aye. Man up the lot of you and get on with the cricket!

Speaking of which... the heavens opened after six overs, but the pitch was so dry that an hour and a half's rain was slurped up within a few minutes. Every other shower cloud just squeezed past the ground, and we got a full game in! Oh, and I got 3-11, the spin demon is back!

AG

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For anyone new to cricket, if you win the toss, opt to bat and lose 4 wickets for 8 runs in the first hour, you're not doing particularly well. [Two face]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Has to be said, that's more to do with the beautiful bowling from Jimmy and Broad, more than bad batting from the Indians.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I think Dhoni is trying to lull England into a false sense of security!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
I think Dhoni is trying to lull England into a false sense of security!

I'd like to thank him for motivating our bowlers [Biased] If we had held our chances India would have been out for less than a hundred.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

England now ahead, although they have lost two more wickets. Some gloomster suggests that if the partnership between Root and Moeen fails, England will be on the back foot.

I'd be happy for England to be out for 250. 300 would be great. With rain around we can't afford to waste time waiting for Cook to decide when to declare.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

On the other match: what inspired someone to schedule a Tast at Galle in August - the middle of the south west monsoon?

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I meant Test, of course - sorry.

[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
On the other match: what inspired someone to schedule a Tast at Galle in August - the middle of the south west monsoon?

The same people who organised, IIRC, a Champions Trophy tournament in Bangladesh in the monsoon season there. That was beyond Duckworth-Lewis.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Decent morning for England, but worrying that Broad has a broken nose. What is the point of a faceguard on a batting helmet if it doesn't guard the face, ie by keeping the ball out?

This isn't the first time I've seen this. I suppose batsmen need a clear sight but a bit of improvement is needed.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016