homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perspex face mask. [Biased]

But now the Indian middle order has done an excellent impression of the English middle order. Most amusing. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Super Mo has done a fine impression of Graeme Swann too. Plenty of spin, loop, pace variation; all he needs is a good arm ball.

A word for the umpires too: I wasn't impressed with them in the Southampton match, but here after the Anderson/Jadeja hearing they had an important job and while there were errors*, they had the players' confidence.

*What would Gary Ballance's average be without the three wrong/unlucky decisions in this series? I'm impressed with how well he takes them.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very pleased to have managed to finish a match today! It had been pouring down but was just drizzling at about 2pm, so we decided to play a 20 over game. They scored 124, and we got the runs in the 16th over, 30 seconds later the heavens opened. Great timing! We would have got them quicker but our first three batsmen retired once they'd got to 30. Very satisfying to huddle in the pavilion watching the rain beat down and scoffing tea and cakes.

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the current England Women's Test match, early in Day two, England are 25-1 in their second innings. In the first innings thirteen of the twenty wickets fell lbw, so I take it that the ball is "doing a bit".

Has anybody seen that many go lbw in a match?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like a very low scoring match indeed, I wonder why?

92 and 43/2 plays 114.

If this were a man's match there would no doubt be lots of speculation about the pitch, weather conditions, application of the batsmen etc. As it is, cricinfo's commentary seems to consist entirely of
14.6 Bisht to Edwards, no run
14.5 Bisht to Edwards, no run
14.4 Bisht to Edwards, no run
14.3 Bisht to Edwards, no run
14.2 Bisht to Edwards, no run
14.1 Bisht to Edwards, no run

and similar, without any further detail. Which is a bit annoying as I'd be interested in the why as well as the what.

--------------------
Thank God for the aged

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by JonahMan:
Looks like a very low scoring match indeed, I wonder why?

92 and 43/2 plays 114.

If this were a man's match there would no doubt be lots of speculation about the pitch, weather conditions, application of the batsmen etc. As it is, cricinfo's commentary seems to consist entirely of
14.6 Bisht to Edwards, no run
14.5 Bisht to Edwards, no run
14.4 Bisht to Edwards, no run
14.3 Bisht to Edwards, no run
14.2 Bisht to Edwards, no run
14.1 Bisht to Edwards, no run

and similar, without any further detail. Which is a bit annoying as I'd be interested in the why as well as the what.

It's commentary like that which gives people the idea that cricket is boring.

btw, England 73/3, lead by 51 with 7 wickets in hand. Another lbw making 15 of 23!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile India's men are 4 down already. Bloody hell!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy independence day!!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Situation normal in the Fifth Test at the Oval. India 28-4 having been put in. G Boycott in usual form saying that

"Kohli is a really good player but in this form, even Chris Woakes could bowl him out".

What has he against Woakes? At this stage of his Test career he has a better record than Paul Collingwood.

England's women meanwhile are digging in, as Boycott loves to see. Barely two runs per over, and slowing down, but now 162 ahead in an exceptionally low scoring match (lbw count now 17 of 27!).

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

India five down. Good ball from Woakes and Vijay probably the only Indian batsman good enough to lay bat on ball.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Worst Indian batting lineup I've seen in my lifetime.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:
Worst Indian batting lineup I've seen in my lifetime.

I can't agree. In the 1960's, their outstanding batsman was Mansoor Ali Khan, aka the Nawab of Pataudi jnr, who had lost the sight of one eye in a car crash. Most of the others were pretty ordinary. Then in the first World Cup in 1975 they made 132/3, (Gavaskar 36*) in response to an England score of 300+. Oh, and in those days innings were 60 overs per side.

[ 15. August 2014, 15:27: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1975 doesn't fall within my lifetime.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:
1975 doesn't fall within my lifetime.

You're very fortunate! Anyone who thinks cricket is dull now should have seen some of what passed for top-class cricket not so long ago.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Can anyone explain to me why Dhoni has a leg slip in so much of the time? I can't find a logic for it. [Confused]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
Can anyone explain to me why Dhoni has a leg slip in so much of the time? I can't find a logic for it. [Confused]

I reckon it's a defensive ploy. India bowl at the body quite a bit and it discourages leg-glances.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Huh. I guess that makes sense, but I'd have him as a shortish fine leg to stop runs, since the chances of a glance going straight to the fielder have to be pretty small.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Whatever the plan is it hasn't worked this morning. Robson missed a straight one to be bowled, which isn't a good sign for a test batsman, but England have levelled the scores by lunch.

I'm missing Pankaj Singh. Not as threatening as Ishant Sharma but he has a great attitude and I think he can bowl longer spells than Ishant, which India might find useful today.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

England 385/7 at the close of play, India utterly down and out. But you never can tell with cricket................

In other news, the Indian women polished off their target, a good win for them after a gap of several years. Wish they played a few more tests!

--------------------
Thank God for the aged

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Joe Root is a player.

And India are falling apart at the seams. Heads gone.

--------------------
Brian Clough

JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

India have gone, seams and all. 94 ao. Shambolic. What a disappointment, it's one thing to lose (and heaven knows all teams do), it's another not to show any fight at all.

--------------------
Thank God for the aged

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Seams gone, India gone.

These last two test matches have finished in less than three days, within half of the scheduled playing time. The ECB can't be pleased and the county clubs that pay the ECB a small fortune to host a test can't be pleased to see two blank days thanks, not to weather, but to one side throwing the towel in. England were poor in Australia, but they weren't that bad, surely?

Really, India were pretty bad and I wonder if their performance was a reaction to the perceived unfairness of the disciplinary proceedings against Jimmy Anderson?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dismal, dismal, dismal.

I suppose not unexpected but not good for the game at all. Could the current India side beat Zim or Bangladesh?

Joe Rootm ay look to be about 14 but what a player!

England's rebuild seems to be going well though I am still unconvinced by Cook - but who is the alternative?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I would say that the alternative is Root, but the issue is that the opposition captain would probably mistake him for the work experience kid at the toss.

I expect that Cook will continue with the Test captaincy right the way through the Ashes. If that goes badly, it'll be someone else's turn. If it goes well then he'll probably have (through necessity) matured into a decent skipper.

--------------------
Brian Clough

JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

The England vs Indian women ODI is being live-streamed - interesting to see.
On cricinfo here (I don't know if this is available everywhere, but I think it's on youtube as well).

--------------------
Thank God for the aged

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So the men's ODI is rained off without a ball being bowled. Where's the second match in the series? That well-known dry part of Britain, Wales. Hmm...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eyelids drooping, can hardly stay awake - England required run rate 12.85 with 12.5 overs remaining and 2 wickets in hand. Is it safe to go to bed yet?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

[Big Grin]

Now I feel all awake again!

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

England looking likely victims of a ten-wicket loss at the mo. Good job we'll win the World Cup, eh?

In other news, the last link with a perceived golden era has been broken - Norman Gordon, last man alive to played Test cricket before WW2, last survivor of the last timeless test, and the only Test cricketer so far to reach 100 years old, has died. May it swing and seam off the heavenly turf.

AG

[ 02. September 2014, 15:15: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Close... nine! Dear, dear me...

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

With nearly twenty overs to spare.

The last time I saw England so low was against Sri Lanka in c 2007 at Headingley. At least England scored runs that day, but SL, and especially Jayasuriya, made short work of a target of about 350 runs.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Found it! 1 July 2006, Headingley

England 321-7 in 50 overs (Trescothick 121)

Sri Lanka 324-2 in 37.3 (Tharanga 109, Jayasuriya 152). Bresnan 2 overs for 29, Kabir Ali 6 for 72 and Harmison 10 for 97. It was horrible.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I love the way England are lulling the rest of the world into this false sense of security before the World Cup.

I'm delighted with India's performance but think I'd have preferred them to win the Tests and lose the ODIs.

More interesting this week was Zim beating the Aussies and dropping the Aussies down the rankings.

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I didn't watch any of the one-dayers because, y'know, it's not proper cricket. But reading about the fallout in the media afterwards makes me wonder:

Is there a single good reason why Alistair Cook should remain as one-day captain?

I can't think of one.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

The only good reason for retaining Cook now would be that the ECB would, without doubt, appoint another unsuitable captain.

They should get the team sorted out first, trying some combinations without Cook, then appoint the captain from the eventual starting XI.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

Yeah, I kind of wish that England had lost the last ODI, thus making his position in the team (even) less tenable. We can surely do better. Not that I care very much about ODIs, but they are better if they are competitive.

--------------------
Thank God for the aged

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I had a very strange dream last night, or was it a nightmare as it involved Geoffrey Boycott?

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

We were horrified when my elderly father, recovering from major surgery and still at a point when we didn't know whether he'd ever walk again, agreed with Geoffrey Boycott on something. We thought it was the end. So did Dad. Thankfully it was just a blip, and his recovery has continued apace!

In other news, Essex need 21 to beat Kent in a smidge over two days, which should see them go third. I can't imagine they can make it to a promotion place, but I guess that's life.

AG

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Oh, I think that's a little harsh. I'm not Boycott's biggest fan, but when it comes to Test match batting, I think it's fair to say that his approach of occupying the crease does have some merit. As does his insistence that pace bowlers in English conditions should probe his famous corridor.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I had a very strange dream last night, or was it a nightmare as it involved Geoffrey Boycott?

If you were batting at the other end, you would be right to be worried! G Boycott was a poor and selfish judge of a sharp single. OTOH, he's as reliable a judge of Test match batting as exists.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
As does his insistence that pace bowlers in English conditions should probe his famous corridor.

That's got to smart...

Funnily enough he was talking about the bowling - England were dropping everything short, and he was (even I agree on this one) adamant that they should be bowling a much fuller length.

AG

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

But he is soooooo BORING!!!!

--------------------

JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

He is often quite predictable, to the point of parodying himself, but equally is is often right (and forthright), and is a good judge of cricket - though not necessarily a great commentator.

--------------------
Thank God for the aged

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Yes, he's definitely a better pundit than commentator. And while he does often bang the drum to the point of obsession, I think that is often the right drum to bang.

And he's not always in favour of the conservative approach, either. I forget which Test it was this summer, but England were batting in the third innings, had a substantial lead, and there was some rain in the forecast. Boycott was adamant that England should get the Indians in, even if it meant setting them a total that they had a chance of chasing.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Boycott has his principles which he has had for nearly fifty years and the top two are:

- If your bowlers can't get a side out in the fourth innings for < 300 you don't deserve to win.

- If five batsmen won't get you the runs you need what gives you the idea six will?

The consequences are that you always have five bowlers and that you must have one or two batsmen that stick around. Like Boycott.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I was a little discombobulated last night by a storm moving in more than halfway through Lahore Lions innings so that we lost TV signal for a while and I didn't get the result until this morning. I have no horse in the race but was amused that Lahore had beaten Mumbai.

Yes, I know Champions League T20 is not really cricket but it will do until something better comes along.

--------------------

David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are there any other DBC14 players on the Ship?
Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David:
Are there any other DBC14 players on the Ship?

That'd be nobody, however those that have been scarred in the past by still-born and desperately useless cricket sims need to know that there is finally a game that is like cricket.
Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I'm afraid that when it comes to cricket sims, this is about as real as I can manage!

[Biased]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Harrumph. Essex won by an innings, but so did Hampshire and as a result Hants get promoted.

Ah well, there's always next year...

AG

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016