homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Champions League Final tonight was won by Chennai SuperKings which makes me a very happy bunny!

Next week we have an ODI at our local stadium, I will not be going but will watch India v West Indies on the box.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shut up KP, nobody's interested.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love Swann's comment quoted in the morning paper here:

The biggest load of fiction since Jules Verne!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bonzo Dog Band's take on KP.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In fact, rather than talk about you-know-who, why not read a rather lovely piece of writing?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Holey moley, can't get tighter than that!

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A maiden in ODI's is rare enough, unusual 'at the death', but a double wicket maiden to win by one run is exceptional!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Yes, I suspect there are cucumbers that could learn a few things from Glenn Maxwell!

I wonder what "How the fuck did we lose that?" is in Urdu?

AG

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Urdu and Hindi are basically the same language, or very similar, just written differently - the Muslim guy who introduced me to India all those years ago maintains that all the swear words are in the Hindi bit, not in Urdu - but that doesn't stop him using them when driving!

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And did you see this bit of fielding* by Steve Smith? Is that even allowed?!

* That's a link to a vine, in case you don't like that kind of thing.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I can't see anything against in in Law 32 (caught). The only... hang on, what's that creeping up on me, this seems to be pretty good confirmation.

Given how much ODIs in particular seem weighted towards the batsman, it's about time someone started doing something about it...

AG

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Interesting. Thanks for posting that. Do you think Smith knew of a change of interpretation that took place less than two weeks before the game?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

You have to wonder, don't you?

AG

--------------------

Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I read on cricinfo that the Aussies were aware of it and took advantage.
Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Of course they'll say that now!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Warming up my cricket game for the dry season, what the heck are the Windies trying to pull, backing out of India like they have just done?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I think, Uncle Pete, it is just a little matter of the players liking to get paid, as per their contracts, for what they do.

No Pay, No Play seems fair enough to me.

WICB are not exactly the best organised cricket board in the world. BCCI are now talking about suing WICB [not the players] for breach of contract.

This could be fun.

Meanwhile the Sri Lankans have been offered a five Test Match series, which seems a pretty good idea to this lover of the five day game, or Proper Cricket as it is more properly known.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

p.s. there also seems to be some sort of sentiment or assertion that the players union has or had [allegedly] sold the players down the river or made agreements with the board without consulting the membership - or so I am led to believe by newspaper reports.

I hope, having been an ardent trades unionist for 50+ years, that I am wrong in this.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

WICB are not exactly the best organised cricket board in the world. BCCI are now talking about suing WICB [not the players] for breach of contract.

BCCI and WICB. Tricky. That's like the Mohammed Fayed/Neil Hamilton libel case in that most reasonable people would want to see both parties lose.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

This morning's paper has amended the upcoming series with Sri Lanka as 5 ODIs which is sad as I was expecting Tests but it is better than nothing.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Sri Lanka just rolled over yesterday in the first of the ODIs, sad really as I was hoping for a bit more fight from them - the Indian openers were superb with a century apiece so a well deserved victory but Lanka needs to work on its batting, bowling and fielding - apart from that they were fine.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Meanwhile, I notice that the Aussies on here have gone a bit quiet. Just a shame it was Pakistan who shut them up.

[ 03. November 2014, 11:47: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Losing to Pakistan by 356 runs was certainly significant [Snigger]

I think it is the Aussies first series loss to Pakistan in 20 years.

Perhaps not ideal preparation for the World Cup even if it is a totally different format.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Well, now we know all England need to do to beat Australia next year is to field some decent spinners.

Oh.

Bugger!

AG

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
Meanwhile, I notice that the Aussies on here have gone a bit quiet. Just a shame it was Pakistan who shut them up.

Believe me, there's a kiwi who is shall we say struggling to remain quiet! Kiwis rarely have much to crow about cricket-wise, and support anyone who plays Australia.

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

On a more sombre note, though, kiwi great Martin Crowe looks to be losing his battle with cancer [Tear]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Do England still field a team?
Pakistan thrashed the team that thrashed the English cricket team in the last Ashes series. That's hardly got to be a great feeling.
Still, good to know people miss our contributions around here.

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Free to air International Cricket on telly starts in OZ today. [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:

Yay indeed! Congrats to Cricket Australia and Channel Nine.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:

Well ... 20/20, anyway.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
Do England still field a team?

Given the gap in the test schedule, it's not just you wondering that! Big gap, World Cup (at which, no doubt, we will continue our post-1992 record), then straight into a crazy number of tests. Hmm, can't see anything wrong with that, can you?

About time someone somewhere got to see some free-to-air cricket. Sky's coverage over here drives me bats, it seems like every two overs there's an ad for a bookmakers of some sort.

AG

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I don't think there are many completely free channels over here but there be some national cricket on DD [state run channels] but the international stuff is all on paid packages, mainly Star [Sky/NewsCorp's local equivalent] but Sony and a couple of other channels get a look in for stuff happening elsewhere in the world. Star also sponsor the India team so this arrangement could go on for a LONG time!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

p.s. the series here all seemed to be sponsored by mobile phone companies, one of which has the slogan nothing like anything - having owned one of their products I can surely say that it was nothing like a mobile phone!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Sri Lanka were slightly improved last night but still got hammered - to win the series they have to win the next 3 matches!

Erm, it would be fun but seems unlikely.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
South Africa thrashed us in the first 20/20 on Wed. We thrashed em today. [Big Grin]

Sunday's decider should be a good un.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

In yesterday's paper Pouting, Border and S Waugh were all supporting Clark and saying how the loss to Pakistan was just an aberration.

Still fun, though.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
In yesterday's paper Pouting, Border and S Waugh were all supporting Clark and saying how the loss to Pakistan was just an aberration.

Still fun, though.

Yup, definitely Pouting. In fact they were all pouting.

(Bad WW. No cake)

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

quote:

Still fun, though.

Hmmm. They were losses, plural. And big ones. I think they are a major cause for concern.
Plenty of reason to pout. [Frown]

--------------------

----

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I noted a pop-up today on Cricinfo "Sachin says that England won't win world cup".

In other news from Sachin "Pepsi is not Coke" "Black is not white" "Pope is not protestant".

AG

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

It's a bloody good ball. But it's hardly the ball of the century.
I mean, come on. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

----

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

For one thing, Gatting provides a much larger obstacle.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Larger, for sure. But also less agile and so has a harder time getting in the way of the ball. These two factors cancel each other out to some extent, don't they?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Speaking of Gatting, 51allout had a link to this absolute gem today. I confess I hadn't remembered it happened, but it is truly fantastic.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
It's a bloody good ball.

It certainly turned a long way, especially as his arm is almost over his other shoulder, and it had to because it was bowled from quite wide in the crease, but I think the sheer amount of drift to leg Warne got makes his delivery tops there. There was no way that ball was ever going to get near the stumps, whereas Sodhi's might well have

Still, it's nice to see a leggie in action again! If I could bowl one ball that good I'd die a happy man.

Interesting to see how many balls Pakistan faced for all those runs, too - looks like some grafting going on. Or do they just know they have all the time in the world?

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:

Interesting to see how many balls Pakistan faced for all those runs, too - looks like some grafting going on. Or do they just know they have all the time in the world?

AG

That's Azhar for you. Pakistan have had patient batsmen before and mentally he's in the mould of Hanif or Mudasser. Every side needs one or two and he's a very neat batsman too.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Last night Rohit Sharma acted as if he is keen to retain his place in the side now he is fit again - 264 is an amazing score for one batsman in an ODI!

Sri Lanka are now 4-0 down with one game to play - they don't appear to have a clue at the moment, but then 405 must have seemed a daunting target - Mathews was looking very dispirited - and they dropped Rohit no less than three times!

[ 14. November 2014, 11:08: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

quote:
Last night Rohit Sharma acted as if he is keen to retain his place in the side now he is fit again - 264 is an amazing score for one batsman in an ODI!

Oh good... I thought I'd dreamed seeing that!

AG

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

quote:
Larger, for sure. But also less agile and so has a harder time getting in the way of the ball. These two factors cancel each other out to some extent, don't they?

No.
Our lads looked like they were in trouble against SA yesterday at the WACA, but Warner and Bailey dragged them to a respectable total which couldn't be matched. Philanderer's stats for the visitors looked impressive to me, as did Coulter-Nile's for Aus. The expected showdown between the express pacers Steyn and Johnson on the lethal Perth pitch never really eventuated.

--------------------

----

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

Our blokes are not making it easy for themselves - 154 is a very small total to defend, even in Perth. But they have two out already, including Amla, who is very dangerous.

--------------------

----

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Seven down chasing 154 - well, you made 'em sweat, anyway.

AG

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Seven down chasing 154 - well, you made 'em sweat, anyway.

AG

That was never going to happen, was it? You can't give a team of SA's talent the opportunity to chase such a small total.

--------------------

----

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016