homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, but taking seven in the circumstances is a bloody good effort.

With the World Cup looming, there'll be plenty of opportunity to watch England bowling at such targets...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You think we'll get that many?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, y'know, I am an optimist.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Australia 2-1 up in the ODI series against SA. [Yipee] [Yipee]

It's fun when it seems to be anybody's game.

Smith was entertaining in his unorthodox batting!

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, I'm trying to convince myself to manufacture some interest in 50 over cricket and the upcoming World Cup. But I must admit that it's a bit of a struggle. So perhaps you guys can help me out: Why should I bother?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Any cricket is better than no cricket?

AG

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not particularly fond of ODIs, but today's match between Aus and SA was a cracker. SA tumbled under intense pressure from Aus in the last overs, and Smitty and Faulkner finished off what I would have thought almost unwinnable as late as the thirtieth over in the final innings.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Any cricket is better than no cricket?

Yeah, but is it really cricket? I suppose it probably is. Just about. I dunno. Still not really doing it for me.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I'm doing my best for you here! I can't say as I'm that keen either myself which doesn't help. Mind you, Aus-SA does indeed look like a decent finish.

Really and truly I'm waiting for April, and nursing the knees, for when the spin demon can emerge form a cloud of mephitic smoke again.

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm doing my best for you here! I can't say as I'm that keen either myself which doesn't help. Mind you, Aus-SA does indeed look like a decent finish.

Really and truly I'm waiting for April, and nursing the knees, for when the spin demon can emerge form a cloud of mephitic smoke again.

AG

The knees and the creaking shoulder remember!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Shoulder's OK at the mo. I s'pose I could get a wheelchair and get wheeled to the crease by someone - it might add a bit of extra pace!

AG

(yes, I really am that slow)

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A really horrible accident at the SCG today, Phil Hughes in critical condition, had to be helicoptered to hospital after being hit in the head by a bouncer in a domestic game.

web page

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

The hospital just tweeted that he's out of surgery but still in a critical condition.

[Frown]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Prayers ascending for Phil and his family, and not forgetting Sean Abbot, who must be having the lowest day of his life.

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Phil Hughes and his family

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Phil Hughes died in hospital overnight. Link. What a shame.

[Frown] [Votive]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Tear]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well said, IF. I honestly still can't believe it. Horrifying.
[Waterworks]

[ 27. November 2014, 05:57: Message edited by: Dark Knight ]

--------------------

----

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't believe it either, just so terribly sad [Tear]

[Votive] for his family & friends. May he RIP

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

FFS. It's a sport. Nobody should die at that age for their sport.

[Votive]

And for Sean Abbott as well. His troubles are just beginning.

[Votive]

AG

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I haven't seen all the details of this, so perhaps I could ask: There's no suggestion that Abbott did anything improper, right? The injury was caused simply as an accident when a regulation short ball hit the batsman?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having looked on YouTube it certainly looks like a regular short ball. It was just shit luck.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
I haven't seen all the details of this, so perhaps I could ask: There's no suggestion that Abbott did anything improper, right? The injury was caused simply as an accident when a regulation short ball hit the batsman?

I haven't seen anything to suggest that Abbot did anything improper. The cricket world is rallying around and supporting him too. Seems as though it was just a really freak accident.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Everyone has already said what I could imagine saying.

RIP Philip Hughes

[Votive] for him, his friends and family and Sean Abbott.

[ 27. November 2014, 11:01: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Okay, that's good to know. Thanks.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I must admit that I'm usually too stony to be affected by this sort of thing, but the 'put out your bats' tribute to Phil Hughes has been very touching. I really hope it is some small crumb of comfort to his family and those who knew him.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

Watching the Fbook tributes etc and there's a lovely tribute with footage of Phil Hughes, who really seemed a lovely, down-t-earth country lad. It makes me cry and yet we can be so indifferent to the deaths of so many others.

Kudos to the classy bats out tribute at the NZ vs Pakistan game. Apparently the game is very subdued.

[ 28. November 2014, 23:19: Message edited by: Evangeline ]

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

The Pakistan v NZ game may be subdued in tone but McCullum has scored a quick 200 and New Zealand have run up 600+ at nearly five runs an over.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Some good cricket news. Let's hope he can keep it up.

The Test matches and ODIs are going so badly either.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those like me who think that test cricket is still the ultimate test of cricket skills - including mental fortitude - we've just had a splendid example in the Adelaide Test between Australia and India. This was the first test of the series, as what was to have been the first test in Brisbane last week was postponed to allow the players to get their heads more in less in order after the death of Phil Hughes, especially as several of the Australian team were on the field when Hughes was felled.

One such was Dave Warner, who set the tone with a century on the opening day. Then he got another century in the second innings. So too Virag Kohli, who batted superbly - in contrast to his reported form in England. On the last day, he helped India to 2/200 odd at tea, putting the target of 364 within reach. But Nathan Lyon bagged 6 wickets in the last session to win the match for Australia.

Injury-related changes in both teams may make it even tighter for the second test next week, with Clarke (back and hamstring) out for Australia and MS Dhoni (recovered from broken finger) back in for India.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

Yes, well said Tukai. Test cricket at its best. One can see why IF infinitely prefers the Test form to the others - when it is great, like the Adelaide match, it is so much better than ODI and 20/20 that it is like a different sport.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

The more I read of Day 5 the more I realise what a great Test match this was. A great finish, and that was mostly thanks to Michael Clarke backing his bowlers to bowl India out.

He's out for the series now, but I hope Clarke can come back soon. I've heard that he might be retiring because of persistent injuries. Chronic back pain just doesn't go with a stop-go, all-day game, especially one played 'bending over'. Hamstring injuries on top don't look good.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, an excellent game - just a shame the good guys lost [Biased]

I'm sad that Clark is out but will be happy to see Dhoni back for the rest of the tour.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Yes, a magnificent advert for real cricket.

Meanwhile England... do you, know, I'd much rather talk about Australia and India than England right now, because it's far more interesting? A great-great uncle was at ANZAC Cove, and I'm fond of a ruby murray, but that's as close as the connection goes, and I still struggle to give a flying one about England's pyjama-clad travails.

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I don't suppose anyone is too surprised that Alastair Cook has been replaced as England's ODI captain, especially as the ECB were still publicly backing him on Wednesday. Not that Eoin Morgan is a great replacement, I'd have gone straight for Joe Root (who is also a better captain than Stuart Broad, our odd choice for T20 skipper). And can someone explain why Gary Ballance isn't playing ODIs? He might be a pudding, but he doesn't drop catches, gives the ball a fearful whack and of all England batsmen, he's the one people like to bowl at least.

Still, hail to the Press! Let then select the Team! And someone get Michael Vaughan a proper job, please. If Poundshop sold G Boycott, it would be Michael Vaughan.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Vaughan has slowly been turning into a parody of himself since he retired. His metamorphosis is almost complete.

That said, this is the right decision, if taken seven games too late. I still think Cook can be a world class Test batsman and a decent Test captain. It seems to make sense to let him focus on that. IMNVHO.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Sounds as though Ballance is in now, has Sioni had Paul Downton's ear, I wonder?

The wisdom of picking a captain who's hardly scored a run of late...

And Vaughan just needs a good slap. Preferably with a cricket bat.

AG

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

Do we get a new cricket thread? Have I missed it?
I didn't predict Aus' near total domination of India in the Test series down here. India's fielding has been woeful. Australian fielding has also been nowhere up to standard. Thankfully, our lads are batting like the very devil. Smith looks like a batting savant at the moment who can apparently only get himself out - as he did in the third test prior to getting his double century.

--------------------

----

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

No, I haven't seen one either, DK - perhaps start one once this series ends?

It has looked like a bit of a batting masterclass from over here - much like the one AB DeV handed out to the Windies.

Roll on April... I'll follow the World Cup because it's there, but it ain't the real thing.

AG

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

You can start a new thread whenever is convenient. Or if you prefer I can modify the title of this one and make it an Everlasting Cricket Thread. Whichever you prefer.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I'm sure there's plenty of scope for everlasting gags about cricket... especially with a World Cup coming up!

AG

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Okay, let's go with that then. [Smile]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Finally got around to doing the thread title change. Sorry for the delay.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Good call on the title, IF.

Who are they lining up for England's warm-up matches? It sounds like England vs Ilford 2nd XI!

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

England's 391 in 50 overs is impressive but against opposition that is for the most part 'promising' one would hope to bowl them out for less than 331.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although a certain G Maxwell did hit 137 off 89 balls. But otherwise agreed.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Just dropped by to say exactly that.

AG

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Did anyone else hear Eoin Morgan on the radio this morning? I can only assume he's been working on his accent for the press, because he sounded Scandinavian!

Tri-series... with India and Australia... just before the World Cup... Better stock up on lube, I think this might be painful!

AG

--------------------

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...Tri-series... with India and Australia... just before the World Cup... Better stock up on lube, I think this might be painful!

AG

[Tear]

You never know, what with our young boys [Help]

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

First match, England bat first and reach 69-5 at one point. Somehow they rally to 230-odd, but Australia are making easy work of the chase so far. More lube, please.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016