homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The timeless Test - Everlasting cricket thread
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can take being shown how to play cricket by Australians (lots of practice...), but by an Irishman is what really hurts. I hope Warner buys Morgan a beer, because without his innings Warner would never have had the chance of getting what looks on the Cricinfo ticker like a fairly classy ton, and coming within a gnats knacker of carrying his bat. A few nervy moments at the end, sounds as though Maxwell got a duffer, but far too late.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, Oz was nervy at the end - but only at getting the runs in 40 overs!

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not something I've seen before - from Ireland vs Scotland in Dubai...

"No result (abandoned with a toss)"

Presumably someone could give a toss about it?...

As for ABDV... the mind boggles!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
149 in 44 balls? That's insane!

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ODIs are insane. They're just a slogging contest. No balance between bat and ball. Boring.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After David Warner's spat with Rohit Sharma, in which Warner demanded that Sharma should "Speak English" I wonder if Aussies are going to speak Hindi next time they tour India?

Really, Warner's a heck of a cricketer but he's a yob, or whatever that is in Ocker.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sharma was yelling in Hindi at Warner which was why Warner asked him to speak in English.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first words I ever learnt in Hindi, as my friend was driving me round Delhi and explaining to other drivers their shortcomings, were not words that I would have wanted to repeat in English.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

OK, where the flip did that come from?

AG

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
India was asleep at the switch and never got going. A well deserved win for the England team.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
India brillaintly and deliberately allowing England and Australia a false sense of security prior to the World Cup.

Well, it would be nice if I could believe it.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Australia is already into the final even if they don't win any more games.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
Sharma was yelling in Hindi at Warner which was why Warner asked him to speak in English.

That's putting a gloss on it. They both looked bad-tempered.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

Exciting cricket tonight when a seagull was struck by a ball and thought to be killed. It was carried reverently from the ground, but did a Lazarus sometime later and returned to the ground to field as though nothing had happened.
Obviously hoping for a place on the Auusie team.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

A couple of notable ODIs. Austalia beating England with a ball to spare, Steve Smith getting another century, and a New Zealand 6th wicket stand of 267 in 30 overs. That pretty much ruined their match against Sri Lanka; I'm sure Sri Lankans tried, but when you've been battered like that, it's hard to recover.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

It's all a bit of a bat-fest at the moment, isn't it? Having been in a shop yesterday with a few minutes to spare, I investigated the bats, and was startled to discover huge bats with edges like railway sleepers weighing a (relatively) piffling 2lb 8oz. I guess it's no wonder - I tried one last year, knocking up some catches with a team mate's plank, and nearly took someone's head off - the ball just flew off the face like nothing I'd ever encountered before!

Hard times to be a bowler...

AG

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Add in flat wickets, short boundaries, and stupid fielding restrictions, and it's clear what the ICC (or Sky Sports) think is exciting.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Well, indeed, IF! I think we've seen at least one century in every game this series, barring India being thumped and not leaving space for one, which surely devalues the achievement?

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
It's all a bit of a bat-fest at the moment, isn't it? Having been in a shop yesterday with a few minutes to spare, I investigated the bats, and was startled to discover huge bats with edges like railway sleepers weighing a (relatively) piffling 2lb 8oz. I guess it's no wonder - I tried one last year, knocking up some catches with a team mate's plank, and nearly took someone's head off - the ball just flew off the face like nothing I'd ever encountered before!

Hard times to be a bowler...

AG

Bats are odd things and the very first time I used a top quality bat it was a revelation. Like drinking 25 year old Talisker after a lifetime on Arthur Bell's Tartan Terror.

This was almost thirty years ago though and the bat wasn't bigger but the shape was different: the effect was that it didn't twist when I hit the ball, so only the very edges behaved like edges, and about half the blade, not the usual six square inches, was good enough to send the ball where I wanted it to go. All I needed was better eyesight and I could have handled the quick stuff!

If bats have moved on since then, I'm amazed any halfway competent batsman ever gets out unless he wants to.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

India doing their very best to roll over and play dead against England who stuttered a bit but now look set to go into the final against the Aussies.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Stuttered a bit is an understatement! Another late panic but, frankly, we owe that win to Butler and Taylor who did all the donkey work. Australia at the weekend, so must stock up on lube...

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

B & T are doing more than their share of this, but I'm encouraged because for a couple of years Bopara and Morgan have been our "go to" men, and if we have four in the middle order who can all do that, plus Woakes and Jordan swinging the long handle, things might not be so bad.

We do need the balls to play Tredwell come what may, and trust Moeen & Bopara to do the fifth/sixth bowler job.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Is there any lube left?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

No, and it still smarts.

AG

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So return home from being overseas most of January to discover free to air summer of cricket is over. *sigh*.

And none of the world cup is on free to air. *double sigh*.

Any clever Aussie techies know how I might get it streamed on the internets for not too expensive a price....?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Welcome to the UK, Evensong, We've had no cricket on free to air since 2005 and, surprise surprise, participation is falling.

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Welcome to the UK, Evensong, We've had no cricket on free to air since 2005 and, surprise surprise, participation is falling.

AG

All we have is TMS on the radio and that is on the brink of self-parody. Another five years and I swear Aggers will turn into Brian Johnston.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I can handle that, just as long as someone shoves Michael Vaughan's golf clubs up his arse!

AG

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

AG

Really? Wow. That really surprises me. Very sad. Some of my fondest memories were of watching the cricket on telly in North London with my grandmother when we visited as kids.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
So return home from being overseas most of January to discover free to air summer of cricket is over. *sigh*.

And none of the world cup is on free to air. *double sigh*.

Any clever Aussie techies know how I might get it streamed on the internets for not too expensive a price....?

Lent has come early. [Eek!]

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Indeed. A rude shock I tellysa.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still recovering from hearing Michael Vaughan on TV predicting that New Zealand will do a World Cup double this year - cricket and rugby [Eek!]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Were it from anyone else I'd consider it likely as the Kiwis have been in pretty exciting form in the pyjama game. Trouble is, Vaughan is - and I attempt to quote Sioni Sais here - "like Boycott but without the tact and discretion" these days. He gets on my tits something wicked.

I have to confess that I've bought tickets to see NZ vs England at Edgbaston in June at least partly in the hope of seeing a really scintillating Kiwi performance... speaking of which, anyone else know how fast Edgbaston send out tickets? We bought ours in December, and they've yet to arrive. It will be interesting to see which side Celtic Knotweed roots for - as a Scot watching England - New Zealand!

AG

--------------------

TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am looking forward to seeing how Afghanistan do in their first World Cup!
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

For the record, my World-Cup-Enthusiasm-Meter has reached about 20%.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My enthusiasm for the World Cup had been quite low, but by God Brendan McCullum is raising it up in this first match! A quite extraordinary first 15 overs, especially after losing the toss and being asked to bat!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And now he's out. Ah well...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Set up nicely, New Zealand made 331 with Malinga going for 84!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any of that lube left?

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Now I'm thoroughly confused. The Aus vs Eng match is on free to air Channel 9. But I till can't find any kind of timetable. [Paranoid]

Straya 9/342 at the MCG. Finn got a dramatic fivefer with a hat trick by the last three balls. [Big Grin]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Time to start learning Kiwi, I think. Fush'n'chups, anyone?

I s'pose a captain named Morgan should know all about a good shafting... (NSFW!)

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...and shafted he has been!

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I wonder what England's record ODI defeat is? Something spectacular will be needed just to prevent this being a contender...

AG

--------------------

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

England has been done like a dinner. [Snigger]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Well, Australia have every right to be pleased with that.

I think I'm going to be a bad loser and follow the Associates instead.

AG

--------------------

TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Utterly irrelevant to the outcome, but wasn't the ball dead when Anderson was run out at the end (the umpire having given Taylor out)?
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Yes, the ICC have released a statement.

Dismal performance though. I watched about half an hour of Root and Bell chasing seven an over by nurdling the ball down to third man every few balls before getting fed up and doing some work. Ridiculous.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
The PCT spoke to the England team management and acknowledges that the game ended incorrectly and an error was made.
So does that mean Australia forfeit the game?

[Two face]

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Can you imagine the look on Mitchell Johnson's face if that happened!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

...and how fast he'd be bowling the next time he got at England? [Help]

Pity - no difference to the result, but Taylor has good reason to be pissed off.

AG

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016