homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The beautiful game - the boys are back (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The beautiful game - the boys are back
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
And Iceland come up against Ronaldo FC tonight. That should be good too!

Yes. Yes it was!

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
His petulant comments after the game were the icing on the cake! Well played Iceland: Very well played. Now bring on Hungary!

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hopefully this is just a hypothetical, but what would happen if, following today's game, the Russian fans became disruptive and Russia got disqualified? What would happen to the group? Slovakia and England have played Russia, but Wales has not. Would the games against Slovakia and England be voided (so they both lose the points they earned)? Or would the unplayed game against Wales be considered a forfeit and Wales awarded 3 points?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting question, which is addressed at length here.

Basically, UEFA will cross the bridge when it comes to it. It would be easy enough if only top two group teams advanced, as in past years. Knock off everyone's Russia result, treat it as a three team group, top two advance.

BUT the expanded format means that the top four out of the six third place teams get in to the knockout round, so if you nullify the group B third place team's Russia points, it puts that team at a potential disadvantage against third place teams that have points from three games.

One proposal that makes sense to me is that you knock off every group third place team's result against the fourth place team, and then rank based on what is left. That said, I can easily see that system resulting in a team that would have gotten through under the old system getting sent home on the new system. In a worst case scenario for UEFA, how's Ireland going to handle getting majorly hosed by UEFA twice in a decade?

Basically, UEFA had better hope the Russian fans get their act together.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So long as they rule that yesterday's game was okay (so far as I know, the only unruliness at the stadium was one flare let off after Russia scored) then I think UEFA are going to be okay. Even if there is trouble at the Russia v Wales game, UEFA can let the result stand, and the very strong likelihood is that Russia will be in last place in the group and knocked out anyway.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I expect UEFA are praying hard that Russia will be knocked out. The problem is, will their fans go home? I doubt it. Maybe they could join the Légion Étrangère. I gather many Russians already serve.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Four points to England probably gets them through, right? Even if they lose to Slovakia and Wales beat Russia, four points is probably enough for top four third place teams.

I certainly hope Deschamps remembers who saved his ass next time he thinks about leaving Griesmann on the bench, by the way.

And a big chance for the USA tonight. Win against Ecuador and they are in the semis, with two guaranteed matches against quality teams, and a likely shot at a true measuring stick game against Argentina with Leo Messi firing on all cylinders. I think it is a winnable game for the USA, although it could go either way. A few weeks ago it was 1-0 USA, which gives me enough confidence to pick the USA for the win.

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A good result for England. Glad I didn't watch it Live as it looked the usual heart- stopping performance.
At least the last minute goal went our way this time. Hodgson's relief was immense.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
England's win was welcome. I was at work, an Englishman in Wales, so there was a lot of grumpiness about. Happily Wales are still in with a chance.

Northern Ireland's win was quite something though. Solid performance all round. With England v Wales it brought back memories of the old Home Nations Championship.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Cristiano Ronaldo failing really is one of the most beautiful things in football.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

It was rather rich of him to make fun of someone for over celebrating, given his penchant for ripping his shirt off at the least provocation. (Granted, if I looked like that, I'd probably be ripping my shirt off all the time too!)

I have a feeling Iceland has a shot at a win and advancement against Austria. It was a shame to lose today, though. (Edit: or tie rather. It just feels like a loss to come that close and give up two points on an own goal.)

And the USA-Argentina semi is all set up. My only hope lies in the fact that Argentina has a recent history of finding ways to not win in major tournaments. But as they say, that's why they play them.

[ 19. June 2016, 02:41: Message edited by: Og, King of Bashan ]

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
I see Wales has begun its inexorable march to the title!

I see no point in revising my earlier prediction. [Big Grin] Must get my snacks ready for the Wales-Iceland final...

Meanwhile, in the Copa, Mexico did a truly spectacular flame-out. If you are going to crash out, do it in a way that everybody will remember!

USA-Argentina tomorrow night. That could get messy (and, yes, I know the pun is just sitting there, but I refuse to use it).

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
quote:

I see no point in revising my earlier prediction. [Big Grin] Must get my snacks ready for the Wales-Iceland final...

There's a chance Iceland could play England in the last 16 and I wouldn't rule anything out after that.

I wasn't surprised that Roy Hodgson changed England's team - three games in nine days is a lot of running - but some of those coming in simply weren't match-fit and one wonders why they in France at all.

Roy has also said that "We couldn't have done more" which shows he has fallen for the old English failing that passion and effort can overcome a lack of skill and tactical nous.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

So, does yesterday's vote mean that England are out of the Euros now? [Biased]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see another competition has become extremely dire in the knock out rounds as teams.

Well Wales and NI was always going to be a poor affair but Croatia and Portugal has so much promise.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
So, does yesterday's vote mean that England are out of the Euros now? [Biased]

Yes.

The England players voted to be out of the Euros, and now seem somewhat puzzled that they are being asked to go home. They are explaining now that they would be happy to stay in the tournament if they could just renegotiate some of the rules of the game. Like, for example, maybe they should be spotted a few goals at the start of every game.

And Iceland moves on.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

To me, it was one of those upsets that you could see coming from a mile away. Iceland was having a surprisingly good tournament, England was having a typical middling tournament, it just seemed bound to happen.

And now on to the quarter finals. I'm sure we don't need to remind any Germany fans around here (ahem...Hedgehog...ahem) that Italy have never lost a tournament match to Germany. Just throwing it out there, you know. [Two face]

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

It has been a tournament of surprises. Maybe Germany can surprise everybody by actually beating Italy for a change!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to confess that there was cheering chez Piglet when we heard about the Iceland-England result (even though D. is English).

I love to see the little guy win, and if he's from somewhere with a sideways cross on its flag, it warms the cockles of this northerly little piglet's heart.

Well done Iceland! [Yipee]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This was posted on another forum:
"We let them score a couple of goals as a protest. We didn't think they'd actually win the match..."

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

At least Woy has got something right. I wonder if there any Australian football coachess around? Eddie Jones has done a marvellous job to turn our good rugby team into one that can "win ugly" and his positive "Aussie-ness" has played a big part.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We only have one and we need him.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Neither Celtic Knotweed nor I are football fans,I think between us we had watched some zero minutes of the Euros thus far, but as we are in Reykjavik we couldn't really not go to the fan zone.

It was as much a bear pit as you might imagine, helped by a commentator whose voice rose about four octaves as the match went on. The guy in the crowd with a drum leading the Oo"Oo! Clapclap" chant was fished out and brought on stage to do it from in front of the big screens and the place just erupted when the final whistle went. I was gutted when England got a penalty so early, thought they would kill the game, so went as crazy as the locals when the equaliser went in.

What a night!

AG

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
England seems to be also losing at the whole "learning lessons from that mess" thing.

A lot of "how could we lose to that country" instead of "why did we only win 1 game in 4?"

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:
This was posted on another forum:
"We let them score a couple of goals as a protest. We didn't think they'd actually win the match..."

The people behind ordinance survey tweeted that they refused to confirm or deny that they had allowed England to access their data in order to find where the opposition goals were. A somewhat niche Jeremy Corbyn joke, but bleakly amusing to the cognoscenti.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
quote:

I still see no point in revising....

Seriously, Wales are playing out of their minds right now. The take-down of Belgium was truly impressive.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hurrah for Wales! [Yipee]

Wales for the Cup [Big Grin]

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
English FA take note of what happened in Lille last night ... [Biased]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wales have got a good chance of getting to the final.

Both they and Portugal are teams built around a star player, and Gareth Bale is on better form than Cristiano Ronaldo.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Wales have got a good chance of getting to the final.

Both they and Portugal are teams built around a star player, and Gareth Bale is on better form than Cristiano Ronaldo.

I'd look at the rest of the team and Wales "other ten" are better too, despite the lack of star names. James Chester and Ashley Williams were immense yesterday against Lukaku & co. Portugal depend on Ronaldo (and Ronaldo depends on Ronaldo too). Bale knows how good he is but he serves the team. Wales need to put the shackles on Ronaldo but they did a good job on Hazard.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

After the anticlimax and mediocrity of the first quarter-final and the excitement and passion of the second, we now a true heavyweight contest in which Germany (World Champions) play Italy (who have never lost to Germany in the European Championships).

A salient fact may be that Italy have no fewer than eleven players on a yellow card while Germany have just five in that situation, which may affect competitiveness.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

When do yellow cards from previous games start being ignored?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

I think they are wiped out after the quarterfinal.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
I think they are wiped out after the quarterfinal.

They count to the semi-finals at least. A couple of Wales' players including the excellent Aaron Ramsey aren't available for their match against Portugal.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

I think that is technically how it works, though. If you pick up the magic number of yellows (is it just 2?) in the quarterfinal match, the penalty is applied and you sit out the next match. However, the accumulated yellows that have not yet reached the magic number are wiped out after the quarter is over. So anybody who was sitting with a single yellow at the end of the quarter will start the semi with none.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Here is an excerpt from the tournament rules (with deletions indicated by the asterisk row):

quote:
48.01 As a rule, a player who is sent off the field of play is suspended for the next match in the competition. In case of serious offences, the UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body is entitled to augment this punishment, including by extending it to other competitions.

48.02 In case of repeated cautions:

b. in the final tournament, a player is suspended for the next competition match after two cautions in two different matches, as well as after the fourth caution.

48.04 Single cautions from matches in the final tournament expire on completion of the quarter-finals. They are not carried forward to the semi-finals.

48.05 Cautions and pending yellow-card suspensions from the final tournament expire at the end of the competition.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

In that case I've been had by the BBC website!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Germany finally managed to get by Italy.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Germany finally managed to get by Italy.

For once a penalty shoot-out worth watching. But with Neuer & Buffon in goal that was always likely.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wales fans will be happy to know that my sole qualification for taking part in a football thread is that the only professional match I've ever attended in my life was Cardiff vs Hereford in 1973 (2-1).

Wales' recent victory got me wondering about how ticket allocation works in a tournament. Do fans buy tickets ahead of time in proportion to their optimism? Or are tickets for specific teams' fans only released for sale once the sides in a given game are known? Or do touts simply sell on their tickets?

(Similar speculation about fans' and teams' hotel accommodation applies).

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

So my dream final (Wales-Iceland) will have to wait for the next tournament.

But that's okay. Wales-Germany offers more scope for appropriate snacks (I actually know something about German cuisine compared to knowing close to nothing about Icelandic cuisine).

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Iceland's dream ends, but by Odin what a ride it was! I can get back on with ignoring it again now.

AG AGson

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

Perhaps England were better off losing to Iceland than playing France. It might have turned into one of those 7-1 affairs that put your team into the wilderness for a while. France-Germany should be a classic.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Iceland's dream ends, but by Odin what a ride it was! I can get back on with ignoring it again now.

AG AGson

[Killing me]

I caught part of the match (including the first of the Iceland goals) before we had to go out. It was pouring with rain, and just as we left the house there was a flash of lightning and a fairly spectacular roll of thunder, and D. said, "That'll be Thor registering his displeasure that the Icelanders are being stuffed by the French". I'm glad to hear they knocked in another goal - they really had nothing to be ashamed of.

Piglet Pigletsðottir

[ 04. July 2016, 03:16: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

Welsh dream been undone by a Portugal who finally decided to come out from the locker room.

The final will be tight as often they are.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
Welsh dream been undone by a Portugal who finally decided to come out from the locker room.

The final will be tight as often they are.

Someone, if not UEFA, ought to organise a special match (or two) between Wales and Iceland. They have captured the interest of football followers all over the world and the game is definitely on a high in both countries.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

I was about to say something about how Wales and Iceland proved the complaints about the extended field* wrong. But then I looked back at qualification, and realized that both would have been in in a 16 team format. So good for them.

I'm all in for France at this point, with special hope that Antoine Griezmann seals up the golden boot in the next two games as a karmic reward for staying at Atletico and not taking the money from Chelsea or United.

Please, Lord, don't make me have to chose Portugal over Germany.

*I was certainly one of the skeptics.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Sigh. My snacks list has been completely shot to heck.

Portugal has not yet made a believer out of me. I figure France to win...possibly also by a 2-0 score.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

I definitely didn't go far enough in my previous post to say that I called it, so I won't. But that went according to my wishes, at least.

As a former bad defender, I felt for the German defender who got juked out of his boots by Paul Pogba right before he hit the cross that Neuer mishit to set up the second Griezmann goal.

My worry is that Ronaldo is about to back into his second major trophy of the year thanks to a friendly draw and a one-off game against a good but still flawed team.

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

The entertainment value of tomorrow's Final will depend quite a lot on the Ronaldo's form, and how much attention the French team have to lend it.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016