homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The beautiful game - the boys are back (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The beautiful game - the boys are back
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Several other yellow cards given out for "simulation" today, and a penalty incorrectly given for the lightest of light pushes in the back. But you don't mention that, do you?

Chelsea, ruining football since 2003.

Boring.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
Several other yellow cards given out for "simulation" today, and a penalty incorrectly given for the lightest of light pushes in the back. But you don't mention that, do you?

Chelsea, ruining football since 2003.

Boring.

I wasn't really worried about simulation, that's a part of the game. It's Mourinho saying his players don't cheat when they do. Twice they did so in the penalty area.

I'm learning what being 'special' is about.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it's "part of the game" then it's not really cheating, is it?

Anyway, moving on, I'm wondering what our resident Saints fan thinks of their current run of form. I'm seeing various media types suggesting that Koeman is under pressure. Surely that's not true is it?! He must have bought himself a bit of leeway with their excellent start to the season.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not a Saints fan, though I admire their football, but I think they are now missing those who left the club in the summer. As a result their players are getting tired and they seem to be getting injured more under Koeman than they did under Pocchetino.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Anyway, moving on, I'm wondering what our resident Saints fan thinks of their current run of form. I'm seeing various media types suggesting that Koeman is under pressure. Surely that's not true is it?! He must have bought himself a bit of leeway with their excellent start to the season.

I can't believe Koeman's under real pressure, but Saints could really do with a win in the next two games, before another stretch of three tough fixtures. Here's Southampton's fixture list

I was listening to the Capital One Cup game yesterday - a 1-0 loss at Sheffield United of League One - and it wasn't pretty. But hey, we're still fifth in the League. Plenty of pundits said before the season started that we'd get relegated!

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:

I can't believe Koeman's under real pressure, but Saints could really do with a win in the next two games, before another stretch of three tough fixtures. Here's Southampton's fixture list

Chelsea, Arsenal then the Mancs is tough but the whole run of six looks tricky. Everton aren't mugs, though they aren't what they were last year, no one knows which Crystal Palace will turn up and who knows what will happen at Newcastle on 17th January?

You'd bite my hand off for nine points, wouldn't you?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Go you Spurs! Four-nil over the Geordies! Breathing down Arsenal's neck...

[Yipee]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

Oh yes. I expect Chelsea and Man Utd to beat us, which leaves 3 wins out of the other 4 fixtures in order to get 9 points. That would do very nicely...

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WW writing on the soccer thread - that's strange.

Tonight is the final of the Indian Super League and Kerala, our local team are in the final playing Kolkata. C'mon Kerala!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Back to winning ways today, South Coast Kevin. [Smile]

We were hoping to be at your place Dec 28th, but weren't able to get tickets for the away end. Most disappointing. There's an outside chance we'll find something on the secondary market, but I'm not holding my breath. Perhaps watching in a pub on the Fulham Road will have to do instead. [Frown]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

We wuz rubbish and lucky to get nil. A well deserved win for Southampton.

Only another six points to go!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

quote:
Back to winning ways today, South Coast Kevin. [Smile]

Yay! I was listening on the radio and it sounded like a good show from the Saints. Sorry you weren't able to get tickets, IF...

I should be going to the FA Cup game on 3rd Jan with three mates. My first live game since this time last year - I would go more often but it's so blinkin' expensive.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ponchetino vindicated Saturday; would still be nice to be in the top six....

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Happy Boxing Day everyone. [Smile]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fucking bastard ref! Definitely an Arse fan.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Yes, that's still a blue shirt I'm wearing, with 'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum' on the crest, despite my team having their worst run for years.

Such is football, especially supporting Everton.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Sioni, is it simply that Distin and Jagielka are starting to show their age, or is there more to it than that?

Ad Orientem, apologies for the ignorance, but what are you referring to?

As for us, a win and a draw over the festive period should become two wins and a draw when we visit Three Point Lane later today. If* that happens, then I think that represents a good return, seeing as our fixtures were a bit tricky. In case you're interested, we only managed to get one ticket for the Southampton game, so Liberty went and had a blast. I travelled down on the day (still hoping to get a spare), so was stuck watching the game in a Varsity which had the heating cranked up to maximum and had almost run out of beer. It was not an experience which I want to repeat any time soon! But the West Ham game at the Bridge was great, especially as we were so utterly dominant, and Diego scored that fantastic goal right in front of us so we were very happy with that!

* Please note, dear Football Gods, that I said "if"!!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Sioni, is it simply that Distin and Jagielka are starting to show their age, or is there more to it than that?

Last year our defence was dependable, if not impregnable, and that's been disrupted. Baines and Jags have had the usual World Cup hangover and I agree that Distin may have to hang up his boots. He'll make a good coach though, as a smart guy who plays football.

Personally I'd offload McGeady, who is a lard-arsed liability and bring Oviedo back. Barry has to stay deep, Barkley has to ignore the transfer talk and the rest just have to stop trying too hard - that's where our errors start!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:

Oh yes. I expect Chelsea and Man Utd to beat us, which leaves 3 wins out of the other 4 fixtures in order to get 9 points. That would do very nicely...
So... 3 points against Everton, 3 more away at Palace, a point against the mighty* Chelsea, and another win today against Arsenal. Happy days at St Mary's again!

*Not so mighty today - letting in 5 against Spurs???

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Well, that was like taking a cricket ball in the nuts. Give it your best shot, Sir K...

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

It was quite a match on New Years day: 5-3 Spurs. I shall proudly wear my football shirt tomorrow. We even passed Arsenal in the standings after they took a good shellacking and were defeated 2-nil. One of my colleagues who is a Goonie will never live it down - must call first thing Monday!

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

That would be today. I pondered long and hard before I hit send! I have, thankfully, got no idea what taking a cricket ball in the bollocks would be like. I think the way Chelsea performers must feel is that somebody spiked the players' gin and when they were on the pitch they had no idea where they were going or what that big round thing was or whether or not it should be kicked!

Players of the day: Harry and Hugo.

By the way, one of my facebook friends, a C of E bishop, is a long-suffering Spurs supporter also. My wife is co-celebrating the victory be sleeping in an old over-sized black and grey Spurs polo; some new Spurs gear needed: most of it is four years old or more!

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As for us, a win and a draw over the festive period should become two wins and a draw when we visit Three Point Lane later today. If* that happens, then I think that represents a good return, seeing as our fixtures were a bit tricky.

* Please note, dear Football Gods, that I said "if"!!

Thank you for posting this, IF, it probably influenced the score.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Yeah, well I have form for this kind of thing. My Chelsea-supporting friends have banned me from ever being confident about a fixture ever again.

[Razz]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Just in case anyone is experiencing any confusion as a result of the recent coverage of a certain Liverpool midfielder's decision to retire at the end of the season, I refer you to this knowledgeable website.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Just in case anyone is experiencing any confusion as a result of the recent coverage of a certain Liverpool midfielder's decision to retire at the end of the season, I refer you to this knowledgeable website.

18 months in LA and he'll be back in England, doing something.

Apparently TorontoFC offered a contract but it was $20K a week short. Glad we didn't get him.

BTW, any of you lot want a slightly used ex Spurs striker? Apparently the plan is to sell him to Leicester or somebody like that.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

The twitterverse is abuzz with the semiannual "news" that Messi is all set to sign for Chelsea. It would be kinda amusing, if it wasn't so tired.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
The twitterverse is abuzz with the semiannual "news" that Messi is all set to sign for Chelsea. It would be kinda amusing, if it wasn't so tired.

He isn't quite the player he was two years ago (thanks to anno domini and injuries), so I can see Barca selling him and Chelsea buying him, much as they did Torres.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

...Except it would be £200 million this time, not £50 million.

[Help] [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Some good news. Cardiff get their blue kit back!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:

18 months in LA and he'll be back in England, doing something.

Maybe the Englishmen who pass through my birthplace have trouble driving on the right side of the road and cannot assimilate our other odd customs.

Who's leaving Spurs now and why? I'm just looking forward to today's match!

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Well in Southampton!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks like Toronto FC just grabbed about 10 million pounds for Defoe - made a tidy profit of about $2 million Canadian, including Defoe's original transfer fee and the player swap involved.

The money, which has to be used on soccer infrastructure, is apparently ear marked for a 5000 seater stadium for the Toronto FC Farm team (not to be confused with the Manchester City Farm team that is going to be playing in Yankee Stadium).

Yes, I do live in a different soccer world....

[ 15. January 2015, 02:46: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

There you go, Wales, that's how you play football. You're welcome.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Brian Clough

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't worry, I haven't gone too far. But Falcao is a bit off the pace.

I reckon either we get another six months "free" to see what he can do when fit, or we send him back under the warranty period.

He should do better from eight yards out other than hitting it straight at the keeper.

Wilf Bony is a much better bit of business.

In fact at the moment every time Fellani is given a run out he scores. He ought to be given a good run.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

quote:
Chelsea, Arsenal then the Mancs is tough but the whole run of six looks tricky. Everton aren't mugs, though they aren't what they were last year, no one knows which Crystal Palace will turn up and who knows what will happen at Newcastle on 17th January?

Just remembered this little exchange and my resounding acceptance of 9 points from Southampton's last 6 league fixtures. We got 16 and Ronald Koeman is a genius again! [Big Grin]

Remarkably, Saints are only 5 points away from Man City in second, and I fancy us to get more points than them from the next 3 fixtures - we have Swansea (home), QPR (away), West Ham (home); they have Chelsea (away), Hull (home), Stoke (away).

--------------------

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow! That is all...

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Yeah, wow.

Fair play to Bradford. Sounds like the best team won on the day. That ol' Cup magic. [Frown]

--------------------
Brian Clough

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I'm not sure a United supporter has much to laugh about this weekend. [Razz]

--------------------
Brian Clough

deano
princess
# 12063

No, I agree. Up to a point. But we do like to laugh at the misfortunes of others. Especially Shitty and The Special One.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Schadenfreude is a beautiful thing, and Goodness knows I've enjoyed enough of it at United's expense in the last eighteen months. [Smile]

--------------------
Brian Clough

deano
princess
# 12063

Yes, I've had a good laugh at Chelsea's fortunes over the last 18 years as well... Oh, you said MONTHS. Sorry.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Ha! You're cute.

But we all know that eighteen years is an exaggeration used only for rhetorical purposes. In reality, we didn't really cross your radar until recently. But I guess that's what happens when a rapid fall from lofty heights forces a quick about-turn in expectations: One has to scrabble around for whatever joy one can find. [Smile]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

There aren't many things in football as good as beating Liverpool.

(Perhaps that's something that deano and I can agree on. [Biased] )

--------------------
Brian Clough

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile in the Great South Land, we are getting set for a first-rate final on Saturday for the Asian Football Cup: South Korea vs Australia.

Plenty of good games along the way, not least the quarter-final of Iran vs Iraq : 2-2 at normal full time, 4-4 after extra time, 5-4 on penalties. Plenty of support for all teams in the stands- even Palestine!- , thanks to Australia's many migrant communities and football fans starved for quality games. There were also reports of women originally from Iran , who savoured watching the national team live - something from which they are banned in Iran itself.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
There aren't many things in football as good as beating Liverpool.

(Perhaps that's something that deano and I can agree on. [Biased] )

Oh yes I can get on board with that. Especially if you can outrage them even more with a bit of "accidental" stamping. I'm surprised the scousers haven't laid flowers and teddy bears at the scene yet.

Chesterfield also moved up into the play off spots with a nice 3 nil win over Crawley.

Carlsberg don't do Tuesday nights, but if they did....

[ 28. January 2015, 09:57: Message edited by: deano ]

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
Originally posted by Tukai:
Meanwhile in the Great South Land, we are getting set for a first-rate final on Saturday for the Asian Football Cup: South Korea vs Australia.

Yeah, it's a bit of a shame that this tournament has been happening at the same time as the African Cup of Nations, because I feel like it's been overshadowed a bit. And if football is helping social issues progress, then so much the better. [Smile]

As for Diego Costa, anyone who has watched or played rugby knows the difference between treading on someone, rucking them, and stamping on them. Neither the one on Can or Skertl were a stamp for me. He accidentally-on-purpose trod on them. Now, don't get me wrong, that's still illegal and he couldn't have had any complaint if he got sent off for either incident. But the hysteria in the Press over it has been ridiculous. Let's call it what it is, eh?!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gosh, are you suggesting football fans might not discuss things in a dispassionate and proportionate manner?

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If Costa played for Rochdale, nobody would care. It's part of the hysteria which surrounds the Premiership, especially the top teams. I suppose in a curious way, it might help Chelsea, since they can go into siege mentality, which may spur the players on.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016