homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The beautiful game - the boys are back (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The beautiful game - the boys are back
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Gosh, are you suggesting football fans might not discuss things in a dispassionate and proportionate manner?

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

If you can't be partisan in football then you csn't anywhere. That's one of the great things about football. If the other side do it it's a red card. If your own tesm do it, it's not even a freekick.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Gosh, are you suggesting football fans might not discuss things in a dispassionate and proportionate manner?

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

It's not the fans that bother me. Of course they're going to be one-eyed! (Myself included, obviously!!)

It's the journalists and pundits who have gone into meltdown mode that bother me more. I don't agree with José that there is a campaign against Chelsea, so please don't interpret my comments about the media through that lens. At least, there is not specifically a campaign specifically against Chelsea. What I think does exist is a systematic attempt to inflate any small negative incident into a "narrative" which generates web clicks, likes, favourites, and the whatever else the Bright New Dawn™ of web-based media cares about. Chelsea get caught up in that sometimes, as other clubs and people do. (Just look at poor Mario Balotelli for instance. David Moyes was another.) But the days of vaguely impartial journalists reporting what happened at a game are long gone. You can't read a match report these days without explicitly being told the journalist's opinion on events. That's what bugs me.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, there's an outside chance that a game of football might break out amid all the soap opera at the Bridge today. Any predictions?

City are missing Yaya Touré, and Costa and Fàbregas are absent for Chelsea which makes things a bit harder to call. Hazard vs Zabaletta will be intriguing, as will Silva vs Matić. But my best guess is that José will set up defensively and try to strangle the match into a nil-nil draw.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm hoping City win but only because I hate Chelsea more.

I'm hoping West Ham can win at Anfield today for the first time in over 50 years. Best chance we've had in a long time.

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm more annoyed that, yet again, we leaked a goal. Letting Leicester get one back instead of killing the game off made me shout at the telly a little bit!

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
I'm more annoyed that, yet again, we leaked a goal. Letting Leicester get one back instead of killing the game off made me shout at the telly a little bit!

While I am overjoyed that we didn't leak a goal! And we scored one to win at Crystal Palace.

Everton now have more points than games played, but we've got a lot to do yet.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A tight game in the Asian Cup Final. Australia led by 1-0 until the 91st minute, when Son (Korean star at Bayern Leverkusen) equalised. But Australia got another goal in extra time, to win 2-1.

Official 'Player of the Tournament' was Massimo Luongo of Australia, who plays for Swindon Town in England but has clear potential for higher levels. But the most eye catching was the afro-haired Omar AbdulRahman (UAE)- fantastic skill on the ball and a wonderful placer of long passes to his forwards, including the two leading goal-scorers of the tournament. Omar had a trial with Man City, but his reluctance to run madly up and down the pitch may not appeal to Premier League managers.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking forward to the North London Derby apprehensively, but the two sides do seem to be evenly matched: after all, we defeated Chelsea!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

We'll get to reverse that one in the League Cup final March 1st though. [Biased]

--------------------
Brian Clough

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it me or has it been the dullest transfer window ever?

January is - and always has been - a pointless waste of time for transfers.

Why not scrap the entire concept of transfer windows but put a limit on how many players a club can sign, so they can sign all through the year but only a maximum of say five players.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was indeed a dull transfer window. The finest feature of that was Sky TV's non-stop transfer deadline coverage was about as lively as that for the Police Commissioner elections a couple of years ago.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Yeah, I thought it was dull not just because not much happened, but also because the things that did happen were are known in advance so there were no surprises and Sky didn't have so many reporters out being attacked by Stokie zombies or violated with fluorescent sex toys.

In other news, 'Appy 'Arry resigned. Can't say I'm sad to see him go. Time to start planning the QPR relegation party, I think. [Smile]

--------------------
Brian Clough

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't often visit this thread but I would just like to say COYS!

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're number four and Arsenal dropped out of the five!

[Yipee]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I notice that yesterday Raith Rovers beat Rangers 2-1 in the Scottish FA Cup. I love it when the little guy wins!

[Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Scottish football has been weird over the last few years. Edinburgh's top teams, Hibernians and Heart of Midlothian, are both in the second tier, with Rangers. Hearts are the runaway leaders with Hibs and Rengers fighting for send place. Looks like Rangers might be out of the Scottish Premiership for at least one more season.

As a consequence, unlikely sides like Ross County, Hamilton and Inverness are up with the alleged elite.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

See, I know this is just my south-of-the-border elitism speaking, but any mention of Scottish football makes my eyes glaze over with sad mental images of Alan Hansen and Andy Grey kicking lumps out of each other on a mudbath of a pitch*. It really doesn't seem very glamorous. Why not just give up and play rugby?

* For the record, I have absolutely no idea if this ever actually happened.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
We're number four and Arsenal dropped out of the five!

[Yipee]

That was short-lived. Balotelli scores his first premiership goal for Liverpool. I put it down to his new moustache.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He scored a goal with his moustache??? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FWIW, MLS players may go on strike.

Issues - minimum wage & no free agency.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I couldn't care less. I never watch their matches anyway.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I've seen some pretty bad officiating in the Premier League this season, but Martin Atkinson took things to a new low today with his performance at Stamford Bridge. One clear penalty, one probably penalty, one clear red card, and a probable red card missed. Disgraceful.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
I've seen some pretty bad officiating in the Premier League this season, but Martin Atkinson took things to a new low today with his performance at Stamford Bridge. One clear penalty, one probably penalty, one clear red card, and a probable red card missed. Disgraceful.

Be honest, had you scraped a win, you wouldn't have posted! It's only because brave, battling Burnley drew that you're complaining.

At least you saw these events. In his post-match interview Arsene Wenger must said he "didn't see" this, that or the other three times. What is it with football managers that they can't see things? I thought they were former players, not former referees.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Nah, I would still have been complaining. We've got some important games coming up, so any match that is made more difficult than it should be is a cause for griping. [Biased]

But you're right that I should give some credit to Burnley. They did, indeed, battle very well.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

In amongst Spurs, Liverpool and Celtic going out of the Europa Cup, it may have escaped the attention of many that Everton are through to the last 16.

Shame our form in Europe hasn't been translated to the Premier League.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Sir Kevin, you watching the Capital One Cup final?

[Biased]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Aaaaaaaaaaargh. If the rumour I heard is true and Walker really did commit an own goal, he should be traded to a lesser side. Score should have been either one-nil or 1-1!

Pity our tenure in the top four was so short after we defeated Arsenal some time ago.

Hey, we did beat Swansea!

--------------------

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, but the top seven teams all won midweek, so that doesn't really help anyone.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Spurs win this afternoon. We're back in 6th!

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
YEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

The team I support in the Netherlands, FC Groningen, is in the Cup final!!!

We'll always be a sub-topper, and in the competitions we'll usually be behind teams like Ajax and PSV. But this means something!

The final will be on May 3, against PEC Zwolle (also a sub-topper, but they won the Cup last year).

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

This is not our year, nor is it the manager's at White Hart Lane.

[brick wall]

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Big day at the top of the table today. Chelsea just manage to pull three points out of the fire, and United obliterate City in the Manchester derby. Starting to look like a (severely handicapped) three horse race for the title, and another three horse race for fourth.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Spurs mired in sixth and arch-rival Arse-holes languishing in t'ird...

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FC GRONINGEN HAS WON THE DUTCH CUP!!!!! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

When you're a supporter of one of the provincial teams, and you finally win a price like this, that's absolutely brilliant!

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And on the other side of the pond, after a long 8 game road trip to start the season, due to stadium upgrades. Toronto FC finally has a home game.

Been a long 7 months without a home match. And it will happen again next season as they add a roof. But it will all be worth it as the stadium moves to 30K in capacity. Hopefully a loud 30K tomorrow.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What - no SHIP comments about the latest installment of the FIFA farce now coming to our screens from New York and Switzerland?

FWIW, I reckon Blatter will be re-elected on Friday and the stench will go on and on.

The time is now ripe for any national football bodies with a shred of integrity to withdraw from anything FIFA related - including World Cup competitions - until something is done.

And by that I mean that FIFA needs to be scrapped and the whole thing re-founded.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I read an article in the Wall Street Journal at lunchtime. I don't know what to think!

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
And by that I mean that FIFA needs to be scrapped and the whole thing re-founded.

I sympathise with this point of view. Unfortunately, I really doubt that it's even legal to do this. FIFA has contracts with goodness knows how many people for its upcoming tournaments already and I imagine the Russians and the Qataris would get lawyered up very quickly if they were threatened.

So I don't know what will happen, but I imagine that root-and-branch change is unlikely, even if Sepp fails to win reelection today. And meanwhile, workers in Qatar continue to die.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
What - no SHIP comments about the latest installment of the FIFA farce now coming to our screens from New York and Switzerland?

FWIW, I reckon Blatter will be re-elected on Friday and the stench will go on and on.

Blatter has the African vote pretty much in his pocket, so with that block of about fifty to start with, he has a job for life.
quote:

The time is now ripe for any national football bodies with a shred of integrity to withdraw from anything FIFA related - including World Cup competitions - until something is done.

I doubt that FIFA will be scrapped, but the drift from international representative football to club competitions will continue and probably accelerate. The outcome depends on sponsors and principally TV money.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Well, he won then. I hope Europe does something now. I really hope so. European football doesn't need FIFA and FIFA will be a farce without Europe. I just hope they've got the bollocks to do something.
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FIFA Women's World Cup. Shall be seeing 2 games in Edmonton in a week, and then later, a game in Moncton. What shall I tell any FIFA officials if I happen to see them?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm seeing a qtr final match in Vancouver. Slightly torn.

On one hand, I really want to support the development of women's soccer and I'm looking forward to the World Cup.

On the other hand, by going, am I giving aid to Blatter and his corrupt empire?

Perhaps I should go with an anti-Blatter banner hidden on my person and display it during the match. But I'm pretty sure that would get me chucked out off the ground. And I really want to see the match....

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Not such a beautiful game anymore, but I'm far from surprised. The Blatter affair makes some of the club ownership capers in Britain look very small beer.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
FIFA Women's World Cup. Shall be seeing 2 games in Edmonton in a week, and then later, a game in Moncton. What shall I tell any FIFA officials if I happen to see them?

Just pronounce FIFA as "thief-a" and, if they notice and take offense, pass it off as a speech impediment.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

Just pronounce FIFA as "thief-a" and, if they notice and take offense, pass it off as a speech impediment.
Or, as we're in Canada, how about "thief eh?"
[Biased]

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

If it helps at all, I imagine the amount of money that is changing hands with the women's world cup is pretty small in comparison to many of the men's tournaments. So, it's not like you're helping to fund FIFA's existence or contributing much to its graft. In fact, given Blatter's well-publicised comments about women's football, probably the best thing you can do is go to the stadium and treat it like a serious sport!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I can't say I've really been following the FIFA affair, but from what I have read, ISTM that if Blatter has Putin on his side, no-one's going to dare gain-say him.

On a somewhat more frivolous note, I'd like to say a huge "hurrah" to Inverness Caledonian Thistle, who won the Scottish FA Cup yesterday.

[Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

FIFA suspend the CONCACAF General Secretary. In part this has been done because of work by FIFA's Ethics Committee.

A couple of Congolese officials have been provisionally suspended (whatever that means). I suppose it's a start.

[ 01. June 2015, 19:56: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I wasn't expecting this!

I can only surmise that the sharks have been observed circling FIFA HQ and at this rate the whole edifice might come tumbling down. It's definitely a case of a rotten barrel tainting the apples rather than a few rotten apples in the barrel.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And now, after winning re-election, Blatter resigns.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016