homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The beautiful game - the boys are back (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The beautiful game - the boys are back
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is wonderful news. But it's also only a first step. The whole organisation is rotten to the core. It will take more than a few resignations and arrests to purge it. This is the start of a long process, and it matters a lot who the next president is.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great news. Laters Qatar!
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
And now, after winning re-election, Blatter resigns.

Not quite:
quote:
Therefore, I have decided to lay down my mandate at an extraordinary elective Congress. I will continue to exercise my functions as Fifa President until that election.
That means not before December at the earliest, apparently. I imagine his scope for action as acting President is considerably broader than as an ex-President.

quote:
"Even now he plays a game with peril, and wins a throw"

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17193 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Not quite:
quote:
Therefore, I have decided to lay down my mandate at an extraordinary elective Congress. I will continue to exercise my functions as Fifa President until that election.
That means not before December at the earliest, apparently. I imagine his scope for action as acting President is considerably broader than as an ex-President.
Well, it certainly gives him enough time to shred all the incriminating documents.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3824 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Canada beats China with a penalty in extra time in Edmonton! A better result when we saw Germany beat them in the opener 4 years ago in Berlin. New Zealand deserved a penalty against Netherlands but the ref said play on. Not fair, but so it goes.

--------------------
Maybe I should stop to consider that I'm not worthy of an epiphany and just take what life has to offer
(formerly was just "no prophet") \_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11086 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although China were really unlucky with that freekick which hit both posts and then stayed out, they were appallingly negative. But Canada were very poor - slow and ponderous and prone to making stupid defensive errors. They didn't deserve to win, but then China really didn't deserve to get a point!

If Canada don't improve drastically, I can't see much hope for them. They should now get out of their group, but as soon as they come up against a good side, their limitations are likely to be exposed.

--------------------

Posts: 3824 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
England managed to win against Slovenia but it was no thanks to the defence. Comprising players from our top clubs (two from Man Utd, one each from Chelsea and Arsenal), it conceded two goals and looked flaky all night. Until Henderson moved to right-back no one looked competent. I know Jagielka and Baines aren't in great form but they couldn't have been worse and Gibbs (in Baines position) can't cross effectively.

I suppose the goals will paper over the cracks and Roy will continue to select on the basis of the name of the club after a player's name.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24012 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Australia have got through the first knock-out round of the Women's World Cup, by beating Brazil 1-0. [Biased] [Razz]

Playing well, as you have to do to beat any Brazilian football side. And that's after a tough group stage in which they gave USA a good run, beat the athletic Nigerians, and put previous winners Sweden out of the cup.

Good quality , competitive games all round, with Germany and USA already through, and Canada, France and England yet to play their R16 games.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 576 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Netherlands are playing reigning champions Japan on Tuesday.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9462 | From: UK / Africa / Brazil | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

The exciting thing for me is that I have tickets for the quarter final match on Saturday 27th. When we bought the tickets a few months back, we had no idea who would be playing. But if Canada and England both win their matches, we will be watching Canada v England! That will be so cool.

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My apologies to Le Roc. How could I forget the Netherlands, when my own daughter lives in Groeningen.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Really? I'm from Groningen originally. I hope she likes it (I don't see how she can't, it's a really nice city [Smile] )

As I said before on this thread. FC Groningen has won the Dutch Cup last month, and will be playing UEFA for the next season.

My brother has season tickets. When I'm in the Netherlands (which doesn't happen often), I normally try to go to the stadium with him.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

England v Canada it is! But I must admit that I can't see either side getting to the final.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

The Netherlands are out.Still, given the current state of Dutch women's football, I think they did well.

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
England v Canada it is! But I must admit that I can't see either side getting to the final.

Japan vs Germany in the final I think, and hope.

Canada beats the US for the Bronze.

On another note, I am having the great pleasure of watching Sebastian Giovinco make MLS defences look like pylons after Michael Bradley sends very precise passes his way, while Jozy Altidore (yes that dude) creates space and scores well taken goals

There was 24K of us last night watching all that. Great fun.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5021 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think DC United are making the trip to the frozen north this weekend. Let's see how your boys do against a Proper Team™. [Biased]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
I think DC United are making the trip to the frozen north this weekend. Let's see how your boys do against a Proper Team™. [Biased]

Well this is what happened in DCU a few weeks ago.

Two best teams in the East right now. Should be fun.

Cold, wet, windy. Proper football. [Yipee]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5021 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Nil - nil. You got off easy. [Biased]

In other news, well done to England for reaching a World Cup semi final for the first time. And commiserations to Canada. (I was kinda hoping you'd win. Not just because it's always good when the host country stays in, but because it would fit England neatly into the "struggles to the quarters then bombs out" box that we are so comfortable in. [Smile] )

--------------------
Brian Clough

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

England are playing competently for the most part but are yet to meet a really good opponent. Canada looked about the same standard, but England took their chances better on the night. But Japan look a class ahead of either, apart possibly form poor shooting - all their games have been won by only 1-0 despite dominating possession Barcelona style, except that Barca have a very sharp forward line.

Australia tried hard against Japan but Japan didn't let them have time on the ball, especially in the first half, and deserved their win, even though they took 87 minutes to get a goal.

And perhaps a shipmate can answer a question that is puzzling me. Why is the England women's football team demographically so white - unlike the England men's side or France or even Canada, all of which have a strong infusion of people whose parents migrated there last century? Is it the absence of decent grass roots (especially junior) competitions for girls?

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

Was at the England & Canada match. I felt very sorry for the Canadian defender who messed up for the first goal. A horrible mistake with so many people watching around the world.

When the second goal went in, I thought Canada might crumble. Credit to them that they didn't. But I was very disappointed with the England performance in the second half. They showed no ambition, no drive and they couldn't even pass the ball. Canada were unlucky not to at least take it to extra time.

Having seen a little of Japan, I think England could beat them, but not on Saturday's performance. If they play like that again, Japan will be in the final.

Still think it will be Germany v Japan - and Germany to win.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking forward to the match this Tuesday afternoon.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30502 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was a good one. Problems with the officiating, but it more or less washed out--Germany got away with some really egregious fouls on Rapinoe in first half stoppage time. Certainly the better team won, even if perhaps it should have been 1-0 instead of 2-0 (and USA is now over 500 minutes without conceding a goal).

I expect we'll be meeting Japan for a rematch of 2011 on Sunday, but it would be kind of cool to see England advance.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6105 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

Well, the "dream" scenario would be for Canada to be playing in the semi-final on Canada Day and then going on to play the USA in the final. Shame that England rather tore up that script! Still - it's probably for the best. A Canada v USA final could have led to a war - these things have happened.

Despite the clear refereeing cock-ups (especially over the German penalty), USA were the better side, although both sides played with a very agreeable level of pace and ability. Whoever gets through to play the USA in the final will have their work cut out, that's for sure.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wouldn't that be Japan on Sunday????

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It wasn't to be for England.

Two very peculiar penalty decisions, England's being the more so. Then of course the unfortunate ending. Not to worry, the whole squad did their country very proud.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3093 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are typical own goals, and then there is whatever the hell that was. Just freakish.

And of course there was a period earlier in the second half when England came incredibly close to scoring, about 2 or 3 times in as many minutes.

The Australian commentators were in agreement that England had the upper hand, and they were expecting England would win in extra time.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18052 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
There are typical own goals, and then there is whatever the hell that was. Just freakish

It was like as if the ball inadvertently came into contact with the defender's foot as she was in full stride to catch the Japanese forward. That, or she meant to clear it for a corner. Superb goal, just happened to be at the wrong end.

Would have been good to see England in the final. Japan were solid in defence though and it was just a pity a couple of those England strikes didn't hit home.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Laura Bassett was trying to clear the ball. Unfortunately she managed to clear the goalkeeper (by fractions) although it was all caused by Japan doing what they had throughout, namely breaking fast. They got back in the same way too, forcing England to take snapshots which didn't have a high probability of success. By getting up and down the field that fast and in numbers they will have an advantage in close games.

Should be a good final, given decent officiating.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

Final was all over bar the shouting after 6 minutes! Twice at successive set pieces ( a corner and free kick) , Carli Lloyd snuck in unmarked from midfield with a perfectly timed run to score. Reminded me of Tim Cahill except she kicked in low balls rather than headed in high ones. In neither goal was Japan's lack of height a factor.

So USA ran out cup winners deservedly but by a surprising large margin: 5-2 in the end

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
... By getting up and down the field that fast and in numbers they (Japan) will have an advantage in close games.

Should be a good final, given decent officiating.

My excuse is that it wasn't a close game! USA were out of the blocks so fast Japan were blown away in about ten minutes. Congratulations to the Americans for winning, to Canada for hosting the tournament at a difficult time for football and the BBC for decent coverage.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw three of the games in person, in Edmonton and Moncton NB. Nothing like the obviously American crowd in Vancouver for the final. I actually stopped watching the final for a spell after Japan collapsed.

Ignorant fans citing the defeat of Japan as Pearl Harbor revenge is a hellish topic and about as obnoxious as anything I've recently heard.

--------------------
Maybe I should stop to consider that I'm not worthy of an epiphany and just take what life has to offer
(formerly was just "no prophet") \_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11086 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

Certainly pretty ignorant of history if they believe revenge wasn't exacted in August 45.

I would have thought the match had plenty to provide for more enlightened comment even from ignoramus'. For example the goal scored from the half-way line was quite incredible.

Credit to Japan for coming second, and to England for third place.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The FA can't get over football being a man's game (in their estimation, not mine) if this tweet is anything to go by:

quote:
"Our #Lionesses go back to being mothers, partners and daughters today, but they have taken on another title - heroes".
Patronising or what?

--------------------
Fearfully and wonderfully mad
Love the dinner, hate the din.
ن
blog

Posts: 8780 | From: Somewhere else | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ugh. Very.

I was impressed with how well Japan played after the initial collapse. They really did try to get back into the match.

I think this is the first time I've watched women's football at the international level. It's certainly the most extensive viewing I've had, thanks in no small part to Australian television station SBS providing excellent coverage that was almost as extensive as their coverage of the men's version.

I will most definitely be back to watch again. While it is true that the depth in terms of participating countries is not quite there yet (ie, fewer countries are competitive compared to the men's competition), the standard of play between the higher-ranked countries was just as watchable as the men's edition and I saw some highly absorbing matches. There was wide agreement between the commentators that the standard in the women's game is improving rapidly, so I would fully expect the next one in 2019 to be even better. (France on home soil? Yes please, a better draw for them would be wonderful.)

In other words, I might be progressing towards having two sleep-deprived months in a 4-year cycle instead of just the one.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18052 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I am given to understand that the men were paid 40 times as much as the women. Is that true?

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I should have thought that the worldwide turnover of the men's game is at least 400 times that of the women's, so I'm surprised the differential is as little as that.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
I am given to understand that the men were paid 40 times as much as the women. Is that true?

There seems to be discussion of that currently going on over at The Trouble with Girls thread. From the article linked over in that thread, the 40 times number is comparing the pay for the women's World Cup champion with that of the recent men's World Cup champion.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2653 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

The Telegraph said that Spurs were getting a new pitch, which should have a bigger stadium with more seating capacity than Gunners.

Should help with recruitment and retention!

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Given that I'm not often in a good time zone for watching DC United, I decided to put their game on tonight. It only turned out to be a 6-4 stormer!! And DC won. Man, MLS defending... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

The beautiful game looks a little less beautiful once more.

Link to a BBC story regarding West Ham's move to the London Olympic Stadium. Looks like the Hammers will do well out of this.

I wonder what UEFA's Financial Fair Play rules will make of it?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's just sour grapes from non-West Ham fans.
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Shall we do our usual predictions for the upcoming (English) season? Not a formal competition or anything like that, but just for a bit of fun.

The categories are:

Top four (in order).
Bottom three (in order).
FA Cup winners.
First managerial sacking.
Random moment prediction.

(The random moment is a prediction that a certain event will happen at some point in the season. Like Rooney will score with his arse, or Wenger will zip up his coat at the first attempt or Jonathan Pearce will be crushed under the weight of his own hyperbole.)

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
Shall we do our usual predictions for the upcoming (English) season? Not a formal competition or anything like that, but just for a bit of fun.

The categories are:

Top four (in order).
Bottom three (in order).
FA Cup winners.
First managerial sacking.
Random moment prediction.

(The random moment is a prediction that a certain event will happen at some point in the season. Like Rooney will score with his arse, or Wenger will zip up his coat at the first attempt or Jonathan Pearce will be crushed under the weight of his own hyperbole.)

Top Four in order:
Chelski
Manchester City
Manchester United
Arsenal

Bottom three:
Sunderland
Bournemouth
Watford

FA Cup Winners:
Everton!

First managerial sacking:
Tim Sherwood (but Pellegrini will go this season)

Random moment:
A club will be expelled from the Premier League for financial irregularities (I was going to suggest that Jack Wilshire would start ten consecutive Premier League matches, but let's stay in the realms of the possible, shall we?)

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

Top four
1. Arsenal
2. Chelsea
3. Man. City
4. Liverpool

(Arsenal have improved their squad. Chelsea haven't. I think that this will make the difference. And I have a hunch that Rogers' Liverpool may scrape ahead of a United who still look unconvincing.)

Bottom three
18. Aston Villa
19. Norwich
20. Watford

(Villa have lost Benteke and I can't see them scoring enough goals to survive. Bournemouth to squeeze out of the bottom three)

FA Cup winners
Chelsea

(Arsenal to finally lose a Cup match when they decide to rest a number of players in preference to advancing in the Champions' League and maintaining their push for the title)

First managerial sacking
Tim Sherwood

Random moment prediction
Concerted press campaign to make Eddie Howe the next England manager.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Nice start. Beat the Arse.
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I know we've already had most of the first round of matches, but maybe you'll let me get my predictions in under the wire: [Biased]

Top four:
1. Arsenal
2. Chelsea
3. United
4. City

Bottom three:
18. West Ham
19. Watford
20. Norwich

FA Cup winners:
Swansea

Pellegrini

Random moment prediction:
José Mourinho will lose a game, and take the defeat gracefully without blaming the officials.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May I also join in - the first week has been a bit of an upset but surely it will all balance out in the end

Top four:
1. Chelsea
2. Man City
3. United
4. Liverpool

Bottom three:
18. Watford
19. West Brom
20. Bournemouth

FA Cup winners:
Aresenal

Dick Advocaat

Random moment prediction:
There will be a viral video clip involving a mascot from one team and the manager from their opponents.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9808 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Right this minute, Arsenal are in last place. Would that it would continue!

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

FC Groningen is in group F with Olympique Marseille, Sporting Braga and Slovan Liberec. All of them teams with impressive histories. I don't really have the illusion that we'll go through, but I'm hoping for some beautiful games.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I'll take a point from White Hart Lane but didn't Crystal Palace do well? Beating Chelski at the bridge! Congratulations to Alan Pardew and his boys.

Meanwhile what on earth happened at Anfield? Liverpool v West Ham is the kind of game I want both teams to lose, but a Liverpool 3-0 defeat at home is an outstanding result for Evertonians.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016