homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » The New Crew's Quiz (Page 58)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  ...  95  96  97 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The New Crew's Quiz
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I beat Pingu yesterday, the first of the year [Big Grin]

Long may it continue [but it probably won't!]

How about the Circus Hosts get a ten second handicap every day? It sounds good to me.

Another 10/10 today in less than half the time it took Unca Pete.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like I get to post The Link this time.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is the Link

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

How about the Circus Hosts get a ten second handicap every day? It sounds good to me.

Sounds even better to me. I'd love to have had a 16 second time today!

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I think you might be deliberately misinterpreting what I said - how about 20 seconds and then I might have a chance?

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Failed on US geography again.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Foiled by the wrong shot in the dark. Bother. That Weasel will be getting delusions of grandeur at this rate.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
Failed on US geography again.

Me too....
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
Foiled by the wrong shot in the dark. Bother. That Weasel will be getting delusions of grandeur at this rate.

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mary Mother!

[Mad]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

10/10 today, the first to 100%!

[Cool]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Relative wins so far this year:

Weasel 3 - Pingu 1

But then pride is a terrible sin.

[Two face]

[ 04. January 2014, 10:45: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Guessometer working well, who's next?

Pocket lint is so 2013.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Vroooooooooooooooooooooooom........ penguin on a skateboard......... vroooooooooooooooooom

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

And now it is 3:2 to the Weasel!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Beaten again yesterday so now it's a draw at 3:3.

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, at least the Guessometer got two out of three right for me. (I miss that same question every time.) [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Thanks Smudgie for allowing me to beat you again yesterday so making it 4:3 to me over the year so far.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sixth place! [Yipee] And all because the Guessometer knows more about dragons than I do.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gaaaa...I even heard Mr.G O'Meter shouting at me, "DON'T CHANGE IT!"

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

5:3! But, of course, once Sunday comes revenge will be wreaked!

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have had them all right, but my eyes skipped over a question, probably because I was stunned at the stupidity of the question.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

There certainly were some stupid ones there today.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

One to The Penguin yesterday so 5:4 [Frown]

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you going to keep track all year long? If so, I'm thinking we should take bets now on what the final Weasel vs. Penguin Grudge Match results will be.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Are you going to keep track all year long? If so, I'm thinking we should take bets now on what the final Weasel vs. Penguin Grudge Match results will be.

Are we just counting wins and losses, or does the spread matter?
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

I'm in!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Bloody Murrican fillums, of which only one I've heard. [Mad]

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Spread doesn't matter; a win's a win!

I'm going to play Circus party loyalty here, and guess that Pingu is going to stomp enough Sundays to beat Wodders by…let's say up by 7 by year's end. It'll be close, and I've revised it a few times while I was typing (I originally had Smudgie up by 12, before I rethought things a few more times—like I said, it'll be by a flipper), but this may be the real game right here!

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Points difference should count if the number of wins is equal at the end of the season. Surely.

Of course, we must also decide whether it's number of correct guesses that counts, or number of points allocated for the day. There are reasonable arguments for both approaches, but it best be decided now. The last thing you want to do is pull a FIFA 2010 World Cup qualification in Europe stunt and change the rules at the last minute because you don't like the outcome.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow! For once a "very easy" quiz that really was what it said!
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

My little brain [smallest in South Asia, apart from politicians] won't cope with complications - just the number of times we appear higher or lower than one another on the board. I am banking on her taking l-o-o-o-n-g holidays/vacations when I will win by a walk-over.

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Oh my ears and whiskers 5:5!!

[Waterworks]

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:

I'm going to play Circus party loyalty here, and guess that Pingu is going to stomp enough Sundays to beat Wodders by…let's say up by 7 by year's end.

Well, in that case, I'll have to back the underdog (under-mustelid?) and say it'll be the weasel by a whisker - let's say 2 up.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will back Wod too-- if he trumps her, it will be surrogate vengeance for all the times she has whooped my ass at a certain social network wordgame that I won't mention. [Big Grin]

5 up.

[ 11. January 2014, 04:47: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I'm afraid my 8/10 today ain't gonna help my cause in the slightest!

--------------------

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll have to go with my fellow aquatic creature. Penguin by a flipper.
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

I would like to point out that the weaselly one does get a head start, weaselling in on the start of the day before it even gets here and leaving me unable to play until after a looooooooooooooooooooong day at school, working hard and taxing my feathery brain to the extreme.
And, being sooooooooo much older than me he has a head start with personal experience on all those questions which were really before my time. [Big Grin]
This should definitely be taken into the reckoning!

Actually, on recent performance, I'm backing the Weasel!

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure whether I should join in the weasel/penguin shenanigans; if I had to, my instinct would be to back the weasel as he's (a) a fellow-mammal and (b) a fellow-All Saints host. [Big Grin]

I'm off now to sort out my Greeks from my Romans ... [Disappointed]

[ 12. January 2014, 00:28: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I was right, after yesterday's debacle I am 5:6 down.

[Help]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

And you will be even more after this Sunday's bible quiz! [Big Grin] As will I.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I confess to a long term habit of judging my performance in the Quiz against Smudgie, weasel and piglet. [Hot and Hormonal]

A good Sunday is one where my score is better than Smudgie's. [Smile]

[ 12. January 2014, 11:15: Message edited by: Japes ]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On that reckoning Japes, I am having a good Sunday [Big Grin]

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Predictably 5:7 after the Sunday Bible quiz - I'm beginning to think this isn't such a good idea after all.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Fear not, there's only one Sunday per week and six other days. You wouldn't beat me in a month of Sundays ( [Biased] ) but I don't rate my chance in a month of seven different days per week.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aww! Tied Sharkshooter! Second place is better than where I've been all week. I'll take it! [Biased]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
I confess to a long term habit of judging my performance in the Quiz against Smudgie, weasel and piglet. [Hot and Hormonal]

I'm not sure whether to be flattered or scared by that ... [Big Grin]

My general wobbliness on most matters of the Old Testament (and several of the New) tend to make me a bit of a pushover on Sundays. [Frown]

--------------------

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

A bonus question for you all:

What kind of arithmetic do they use to get the average points per day in the rankings ?

JtW

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Short answer: take total points, divide by number of days played, only calculate if number of days played is ten or more.

Long answer: your point total is calculated by your ranking, with first place receiving the as many points as there were players that day, second two or three off, third likewise, and then one or two points off for every position down to tenth, so long as the number of players is greater than fifteen (I think), at which point the people in places 11-20 receive a point more than those in places 21-30, who receive a point more than those in the next group of ten; those in the lowest group of ten receive four points. Your point total is not to be confused with your score for the day, which is calculated by starting with a base score of 1,000, but taking off a point for each second elapsed, and 100 points for each question missed, down to a minimum score that I can't actually remember at the moment, but would gladly have someone else in the top 5 volunteer to test.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  ...  95  96  97 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016