homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » SoF Quotes File (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  57  58  59 

Source: (consider it) Thread: SoF Quotes File
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OTOH, what else can one do to cope with the unexpected gift of a dragon? [Killing me]
J
writing from Texas

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Posts: 4318 | From: over th... no, there! | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By Mostly Noble Pixels in a (whispering tentatively) Hell thread.

quote:
Shine, don't whine; you'll be just fine.

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

Sorry for this triple post, but I have difficulty resisting this temptation.
quote:
It's a corrupted fertility festival. Pass me some chocolate.
by RooK, in Hell.
Makes me wonder if he's okay, requesting chocolate.

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This about the Exclusive Brethren from Matt Black deserves preservation for all of us who understand it. Concerns calling out hymn numbers in services of worship.

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Same with the Exclusives, except the old ladies wouldn't have done the bingo-style calling (as they don't have willies) and no organ (double-entendre intended).

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
***EGO MOMENT. DEAL.****

Dammit, this is one of the funnier things I have ever written on the Ship, and I am doggone well preserving it:

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

When I first joined the Ship, we had a thread in which people gave the title of their autobiographies-- mine was The Definition of Insanity; or, If The Raven Keeps Saying 'Nevermore', Why Do You Keep Asking It So Many Goddamn Questions?

Nowadays it would be more like I Seriously Don't Give A Fuck: My Journey of Self-Acceptance.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

Getting lots of mileage for this out of Hell...
quote:
Don't bother answering, 'cause my giveadamn's broke.
Courtesy of Spiffy da WonderSheep

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, thank you Spiffy! You're my best source. I'm still using your "What to the power of ever".

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by art dunce:
Arrogance masquerading as false humility is yucky.

(From a thread on the importance of not "indoctrinating" one's children into believing something the OP finds untrue.)

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*blushes*

It's actually a quote from a Jo Dee Messina song, titled "My Give a Damn's Busted".

quote:
Well, I really wanna care.
I wanna feel somethin'.
Let me dig a little deeper:
No, I'm sorry.
Just nothin', you know.
You've really done it this time, ha, ha.
My give-a-damn's busted.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Anna B, in Hell:
quote:
I may not be chaste, but at least I do not have St. Jacqueline of Farmington confused with Monica Lewinsky.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ken from The Bible Non-stop: Genesis thread:
quote:
God promised he would never wipe everything out in one go again. And the world will carry on turning for as long as it exists, and there is going to be weather and plants and food and stuff like that, pretty much however bad people got.

God was so pleased with this new policy deal that he announced it twice, having already told everyone about it in the previous chapter. And then he signed both sides of the agreement himself, because he is God and so he can get away with that sort of thing. He didn't sign it on paper but on the sky. In big bright glowing colours, which is only possible because he designed the laws of physics just right so that it would work. Being God, he can get away with that sort of thing as well. And he does like to show off a little bit now and again.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

infinite_monkey from the Hellish This is not.... just.... Easter tat....
quote:
Let my Peephole go!

Oops, wrong Testament.

Triggers images of Charlton Heston carved out of a Yellow Peep, making the above demand to an Easter Dalek carved into the shape of Yul B.

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ya gotta love Old testament humor.

Every time I read this, it cracks me up:

quote:
Originally posted by BWSmith:
And Shem was Abraham's great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather. Gen 11:10-26

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Ahleal V
Shipmate
# 8404

- Posted      Profile for Ahleal V     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this particular Hellpost sums up why I love the Ship.

x

AV

quote:
Originally posted by ken:

Myrrh: I believe in God and I think priests are good.

TT: so do I

Myrrh: No you don't you are a Roman Catholic, Roman Catholics believe in a different God, the Divine Arnold, a giant plastic lobster at the bottom of the garden who eats Jewish babies for breakfast so that they can go to Hell unbaptised. And they have pretend priests who go around play-acting Jesus Christ and trying to conquer the world.

TT: No, we believe in the same God as you and our priests are pretty much the same as yours as well.

Myrrh:
But the Blessed Father David Danielovich Kaminsky wrote:
quote:

The Visigoths in Spain abandoned their Arian heresy and became nominally Orthodox, but in fact they were whoring after an intriguing combination of crunchy shredded vegetables, salty Chinese sausage and oyster sauce rolled in whole-wheat pancakes. Because of this, in the Last Days when the Master of all Masters comes back, those fake priests will fail to get out of their barnacles and put they'll be in the hot cocolorum for ever!

TT: No, we really do believe in God and we really do have priests and I'm not pretending to be anything.

Myrrh: Your "god" is not really God at all but a seafood dish popular among dockworkers in fifth-century Carthage. As the Holy Magnus Bollokides of Machynlleth wrote:

quote:

About 666 AD the monks of Athos revealed to the world a recipe handed down to them from the Apostles in person containing mayonnaise, celery, and fresh burned heretic placed on a heated hot-dog roll that has come to be known as the "Famous Fanar Island Heretic Roll". This shows that God pours His grace upon mankind, and has done so from the beginning. God has been moving towards us the whole time, unless we are Catholic Serb-murdering lying scumbags of the sort who started the First World War in order to spread Frankish corruption over Romanity. We keep backing away from God, that's the real theology of Sin. But he will catch up to all of us (all that is who aren't pseudo-Protestant Western commy pinko bastards) no matter what we say (other than the evil "filioque" of course), its just whether or not we've decided to move towards him or keep backing away that's going to determing what the experience is like - either theosis or being burned alive in a pit of raw prawns with sharpened nippers while begging castrated Augustinian monks to piss on you. That's why a bright light shines over Pelagius's grave even though the Bishop of Cape Cod warned that it is "heresy to go about with such tales". Religion is a neurobiological sickness with a specific cure of simply divine whole fried clams handed down by the prophets and soux-chefs of Orange and Marseilles, which those whose brains are infected by the Augustinan virus cannot even think about without exploding in a fountain of Calvinist puss

TT: I suspect that that might not be from an entirely reliable source.

Myrrh: Fucking liar of a pseudopriest! You only say that because you hate me and want to pretend to be Orthodox to insult my mother's grave! I'm going to tell on you in Hell you EVIL STALKER!!!!!!!

[ 04. February 2008, 18:03: Message edited by: Ahleal V ]

Posts: 499 | From: English Spires | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

From Moth in Purgatory.
quote:
Just as I should never be allowed to arrange flowers (no artistic eye for it all) they should never arrange their own romances.

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

J Whitgift

Pro ecclesia dei!
# 1981

- Posted      Profile for J Whitgift   Email J Whitgift   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ahleal V:
I think this particular Hellpost sums up why I love the Ship.

x

AV

quote:

Myrrh: I believe in God and I think priests are good.

TT: so do I

Myrrh: No you don't you are a Roman Catholic, Roman Catholics believe in a different God, the Divine Arnold, a giant plastic lobster at the bottom of the garden who eats Jewish babies for breakfast so that they can go to Hell unbaptised. And they have pretend priests who go around play-acting Jesus Christ and trying to conquer the world.

TT: No, we believe in the same God as you and our priests are pretty much the same as yours as well.

Myrrh:
But the Blessed Father David Danielovich Kaminsky wrote:
quote:

The Visigoths in Spain abandoned their Arian heresy and became nominally Orthodox, but in fact they were whoring after an intriguing combination of crunchy shredded vegetables, salty Chinese sausage and oyster sauce rolled in whole-wheat pancakes. Because of this, in the Last Days when the Master of all Masters comes back, those fake priests will fail to get out of their barnacles and put they'll be in the hot cocolorum for ever!

TT: No, we really do believe in God and we really do have priests and I'm not pretending to be anything.

Myrrh: Your "god" is not really God at all but a seafood dish popular among dockworkers in fifth-century Carthage. As the Holy Magnus Bollokides of Machynlleth wrote:

quote:

About 666 AD the monks of Athos revealed to the world a recipe handed down to them from the Apostles in person containing mayonnaise, celery, and fresh burned heretic placed on a heated hot-dog roll that has come to be known as the "Famous Fanar Island Heretic Roll". This shows that God pours His grace upon mankind, and has done so from the beginning. God has been moving towards us the whole time, unless we are Catholic Serb-murdering lying scumbags of the sort who started the First World War in order to spread Frankish corruption over Romanity. We keep backing away from God, that's the real theology of Sin. But he will catch up to all of us (all that is who aren't pseudo-Protestant Western commy pinko bastards) no matter what we say (other than the evil "filioque" of course), its just whether or not we've decided to move towards him or keep backing away that's going to determing what the experience is like - either theosis or being burned alive in a pit of raw prawns with sharpened nippers while begging castrated Augustinian monks to piss on you. That's why a bright light shines over Pelagius's grave even though the Bishop of Cape Cod warned that it is "heresy to go about with such tales". Religion is a neurobiological sickness with a specific cure of simply divine whole fried clams handed down by the prophets and soux-chefs of Orange and Marseilles, which those whose brains are infected by the Augustinan virus cannot even think about without exploding in a fountain of Calvinist puss

TT: I suspect that that might not be from an entirely reliable source.

Myrrh: Fucking liar of a pseudopriest! You only say that because you hate me and want to pretend to be Orthodox to insult my mother's grave! I'm going to tell on you in Hell you EVIL STALKER!!!!!!!

[Killing me]

(And yet at the same time soo true.)

--------------------
On the issue of homosexuality the Liberals have spent their time thinking, considering and listening (in the spirit of the Windsor process), whereas Conservative Anglicans have used the time to further dig their feet in and become more intransigent.

Posts: 2838 | From: Gone shoreside | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ken again, on enjoying a Hillsong hymn, on the in the Good modern worship songs thread:
quote:
And - I'm sorry about this - I'm really really sorry - in fact I-confess-to-Almighty-God-and-to-you-Shipmates -here-present-that-I-have-fallen-short-in-my-music -and-my-lyrics-in-what-I-have -sung-and-what-I-have-left-unsung-and-I-ask -blessed-Johan-Sebastian-Bach-and -all-the-Choir-of-Angels-and-you-too-fellow-Ship mates-to-pray-for-me -to-the-Lord-our-God-May-almighty-God-have -mercy-on-us-forgive-us-our-lack-of -musical-bad-taste-and-bring -us-to-everlasting-harmony -with-the-saints-harping-on- before-the-Throne-Eternal - did I say I was sorry?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

RooK, while talking about ostracism:
quote:
Ding ding ding! Gort wins the cupie doll.

I believe my particular loathing of those who voted for Dubya has been well-documented on these boards. Sick, twisted idiots, the lot of you.

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sine, on Jackie Collins' novels:

quote:
They're great fun. It's the kind of thing you'd like if you like that kind of thing.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bible, Non-stop ... Swish

That's a bit rough. Some passages are quite dull and ordinary, really.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ooops - wrong thread [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

Zappa - I found a way for you to redeem yourself. From the thread questioning why a shipmate posts in Eccles.
quote:
...obscurantist wank music is not an altogether uplifting vehicle of gospel-joy
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RooK, in Hell, obviously:

quote:
You need to be bludgeoned sensible with a big ol' knobby stick of Fuck You.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bean Sidhe, on why the Ship is so addictive:

quote:
It's the adrenaline, the drama, the sex... and then you realise, even Eccles isn't the whole of it.
Made me laugh out loud, and scare the cat.
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

More great moments in finding a SOFV Genesis. Isaac's prayer, as regarbled:

quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:

Anyway, Isaac prayed about this saying "Father God, I just wanna say that I really wanna have a kid and your daughter Rebekah wants to have a kid, and I just wanna say, Father God, that I thank you for laying it on my heart to want a kid, and on your daughter Rebekah's heart to want a kid, and Father God, if it's your will, could you make it so that sometime when your daughter Rebekah and I are playing hide the salami, that we could get a bun in the oven?"

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Joyeux:
Zappa - I found a way for you to redeem yourself.

Phew.
[Yipee]

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Left at the Altar on the Aboriginal Hell Thread:

I reckon there are two Jesus fellas. The first one is the one most of you look up to. Quiet. Considered. Smart.

Then there's Party Boy Jesus, who recruited the Sydney Evangelicals, and all their ilk.

Party Boy Jesus is the kind of guy who starts Mexican Waves at the footy and the cricket and says "Wey-heeeyyyy, I am the waaaaayyyy lads" and all his new followers go, "Wey-heeeey" and forever do Mexican Waves for Jesus. And they go around trying their hardest to make everyone like them, annoying the piss out of the rest of humanity.

And the day after a recruiting like this, Jesus can be seen up in Heaven, holding his throbbing head in his hands and saying, "Faaaarkkk. Why did I have those last 7 beers?". And God looks at him and says, "You've got to stop bringing people like this back home, son."

But it's too late. The Party Boy Jesus recruits are on the loose. And they're bloody annoying.

[ 13. February 2008, 20:29: Message edited by: Spiffy da WonderSheep ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

It's a day apart, it's not a double post!

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel, in Hell:
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
How many shoppers have you seen demonstrating outside the supermarkets on Christmas Eve demanding they be able to buy hot cross buns or Easter Daleks?

Easter Daleks? [Ultra confused]

From the Book of Who:

And after the Doctor had been shot by the Daleks, his sorrowing companions put him in the Tardis and went off into space. And on the third day, he came out of the Zero Room and showed himself to them, saying "It's me, I've regenerated." And they were confused, because he didn't look anything like the last Doctor. But he convinced them it was him, and that what they must now do was exterminate the Daleks.

And they went to Skaro and blew it up and this is why we have Daleks at Easter now, for the Doctor said, "I wish I hadn't done that, I'm going to miss them," and the faithful Martha or Rose or somebody took pity on him and replied, "O Doctor, thou art wise, but I bet they'll be back in the autumn. But meanwhile here is a chocolate cake in the shape of one." And since then people on Earth have always had Daleks at Easter, and there are demonstrations outside supermarkets when stocks run out.

--------------------

infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is an absolutely priceless, deadpan exchange to be witnessed in the There Will Be Blood thread in heaven:

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Is the film terribly violent?

quote:
Posted in response by Questia:
Well, there was blood...

I can't be the only one to find the combination of the title of the movie and that exchange about it to be screamingly, inadvertently funny.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
Yet another of many reasons why I flock with the individual, independent congregations of the churches of Christ. It is a little harder for us to become a mega-million-dollar pervasive unstoppable juggernaut of boobs screeching "duh, them ignorant savages need to have their culture wiped out and become Just Like Us or else they can't get to Heaven".

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by Louise in Dead Horses:
quote:
The First Rule of Conservative Fight Club is you do NOT talk about What God Does With The Biscuits.
I want a bumper sticker that says this.

--------------------

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

Autenrieth Road in Heaven
quote:
I must project a strong aura of "I will never knowingly swim in a pool that has had a dead rat in it."

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

Lamb Chopped
quote:
It's terrifying, and what's worse, it's boring.
in Heaven, referring to dreams.

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lamb Chopped is on a roll - this time from Purg.
quote:
I know that when I've been most conscious of the Holy Spirit preventing me from grinding up Mr. Annoying in my cavernous marble jaws, those around me simply said, "She's a nice person." GRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr. As if.

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought someone would have got here before me with this, from Lady in Red on the 'Why are Christians so boring?' thread:

quote:
Jesus didn't die just so that we could have ugly fridge-magnets

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked this from up in Styx:

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:

The Ship is, and always has been, replete with murky gray areas. Hell spills a bit into Eccles and Purg; Heavenly bunnies and Purgatroidal lecturers invade Hell; Kerygmania sneaks into Purg; Dead Horses (real or imagined) pop up everywhere!

It's just the way it is.

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
JonJ on the EU:

quote:
The European Federation, sounds good, a bit like Star Trek - I'm in. "Captain, the Klingons have stolen our butter mountain."

[Killing me] [Overused]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Rowan, in All Saints

Sadly, when one puts one's glasses on, one finds life a lot clearer, but more boring...

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Y'know, there should be a "guideline' that when there are 3 notworthy's after a post, it automatically gets Quotesfiled.

quote:
Guidelines are for wimps and lawyers!

All we have to do is make sure that on the one hand we sensibly stick to the tried and tested principles laid down by precedent without falling into the trap of rigid adherence to unneccessarily and artificially inflexible regulation; whilst on the other hand we excercise the responsibilty of adult freedom in a creative, imaginitive, and caring manner whilst taking care not to lose our way in the potentially chaotic morass of choices opened up by the unhelpful indulgence of wasteful licence.

[ 08. March 2008, 03:27: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh, a gem from Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard, after an argument with Freddy:

quote:
Bugger. You're right aren't you. And persistently gracious even though you're WRONG. Sod you.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Faust, in his/her Hell thread about perishable diaphragms:
quote:
Oh, indeed, I was sorely tempted. But down-weighed with failure from previous ‘mendings’, I stayed my twitchy hand and sagely committed to sleep upon it. (I tossed and turned fitfully as my rapid eyes moved across a fantastical lurid scene of gaping flanges and pipes bulging with scalding hot liquids, which burst ruinously through membranous dams to flood lush forested valleys). I awoke, calling out and drenched in cold sweat, profoundly exhausted, and called Bob the Plumber. A real man knows his limits.
For some reason, I derived undue enjoyment from that.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

Sine Nomine, in the Be a Better Troll Hell thread:

quote:

(Of course there is the school of thought that says I should treat them like they were Jesus in disguise but the last time I tried that to a homeless person at church he got obstreperous and we had to have the police come take him off in a patrol car - which just proves something. I'm not sure what - Of course Jesus was taken off in a patrol car too, metaphorically speaking, so there you go. I guess we did treat him like Jesus.)

--------------------

infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

Mirrizin in Purgatory describes another of those wacky irregular verbs:

quote:
I have strong principles that I think are non-negotiable.
You have strong opinions that I believe are unreasonable.
He/She/It is a fundamentalist.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Sorry for the length of this one, but sometimes you want to preserve an exchange just to reassure yourself later that you did indeed read it:

quote:
Originally posted by Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known:
quote:
Originally posted by St.Silas the carter:
quote:
Originally posted by Max.:
Ooh - I have another one.

Youth Minister at my old Secondary School did communion at our CU (I wasn't happy with that in the first place) but he did it with Twix Bars and Cherryade!

As people ate the twix bars (I refused) he said "Think of the Crucifixion, the bones breaking and the pain - this is what he meant by "This is my Body""

And as people drank the Cherryade he said similar stuff about blood outpoured!

It was cringeworthy and he promised never to do it again whilst I was around!

Max

I thought there weren't any broken bones in the crucifixion?
Anyway, I managed to nearly smash a thurible on the bottom step of the sanctuary a week ago! But I have a good excuse for making mistakes with the incense.

There were no broken bones, per the prophecy. So the use of the Twix™ bars was wrong with the reference to the bones. I would have used Ritz Bits myself.... [Biased]

--------------------

Conte Oberto
Apprentice
# 9004

- Posted      Profile for Conte Oberto     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sine Nomine in the "Romans" thread in Hell, to IngoB:
quote:
So much high moral tone must lead to an explosion sooner or later.

--------------------
Be prepared.

Posts: 17 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB, to Sine Nomine, also in the "Romans" thread in Hell:
quote:
Frankly, my depravity-o-meter hardly twitches for this vanilla stuff. Fuck a dead goat on an altar in front of a kindergarten audience, or something... Be more creative. There must be a "Depravity for Dummies" book to get you started.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Leave it to Spiffy to top the Twix Bar story:

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy da WonderSheep:
quote:
Originally posted by JArthurCrank:
No, but I know of an extant video where a [blah blah blah] dropped the Body of Christ down the ample exposed cleavage of a bride's dress and fished it out himself[.]

Been there, had that done to me... but after a shared look with Deacon (who did the dropping), I fished the MSBaBoOLaSJC out myself.

And before you ask, no, I wasn't wearing a particularly low-cut shirt. Women of a Certain Endowment (such as myself) pretty much present a clear target for dropped foodstuffs, whether they're eating at a restaurant or kneeling to receive on the tongue.

(And no, I didn't burn my bra, neither.)

--------------------

Conte Oberto
Apprentice
# 9004

- Posted      Profile for Conte Oberto     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
String of three from "Romans"

quote:
quote:
------------------------------
one-man Sin of Pride Parade
I bet the dance music isn't very good at that parade.
And the only dancing allowed is choreographed by Ingo himself.

--------------------
Be prepared.

Posts: 17 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard, on An Anglican Question:
quote:
Reading less and relying on heretics sanctified with the mold of millenia isn't an improvement, but does tend to make one more liberal.

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Choirboy:
Have you seen what these people do to natural resources? If anyone calls you a human resource - RUN!

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  57  58  59 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016