homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » SoF Quotes File (Page 22)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  57  58  59 

Source: (consider it) Thread: SoF Quotes File
Malin

Shipmate
# 11769

- Posted      Profile for Malin   Email Malin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fantastic sig from Ultracrepidarian at the moment ...

quote:
And, for that matter, [I have] a pastoral concern for anyone who spends more than a few minutes a day taking part in blogsite discussions, especially when they all use code-names: was it for this that the creator God made human beings? -- N T Wright
... glad to know NT Wright is deeply concerned about me [Big Grin]

--------------------
'Is it a true bird or is it something that exists within a-'
'It's a thing that is,' said Granny sharply. 'Don't go spilling allegory all down your shirt.' Terry Pratchett

Posts: 1901 | From: Norwich | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hermes66 in Hell:

I'd rather be agnostic than antagonistic.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This delightful description of the weather is by mrs whibley:

It has just stopped snowing really strange big wet snow here .... The chickens are most unhappy and are blaming us, as usual.

I can just imagine this as the start of a novel, and wanting to keep reading to find out what happens next....

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze, stating the undubitable truth that

quote:
Life is too short to rot your own anchovies.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
This delightful description of the weather is by mrs whibley:

It has just stopped snowing really strange big wet snow here .... The chickens are most unhappy and are blaming us, as usual.

I can just imagine this as the start of a novel, and wanting to keep reading to find out what happens next....

It's pity it's been posted here. (I think that it might count as "publishing", especially since the Ship basically copyright's everything here.) It would be a great entry to the
Bulwer-Lytten Contest. Maybe mrs. whibley could tweak it so that it would be submittable.

ETA: [Hot and Hormonal] I hasten to say it's NOT a badly written sentence, just wonderfully quirky in the Bulwer-Lytten manner.

[ 10. March 2009, 04:42: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Malin, over in Eccles:

quote:
Sometimes I feel totally at sea in a minefield of perspectives. [brick wall]

[ 10. March 2009, 09:26: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the All Saint Vocations thread
quote:
Originally posted by Burbling Psalmist:
If God wants you (and I have a feeling He does), God will get you. [Angel] Which is both very cool and utterly terrifying...

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sandemaniac, in Heaven, sneaks a little Church History into a discussion about signs of Spring:
quote:
We seem to have Martin Luther living in our box bush, judging by the diet of worms that something in there is being fed by a male blackbird.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adeodatus explains the Liberal Democrats:

quote:
for non-UK Shipmates, they're a rather small political party, the political equivalent of a small yappy dog
[Snigger]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Janine, describing a wonderful meal:

quote:
We lay there for a while, like new-fed pet snakes, draped across our chairs and table as if the lamp overhead was our heat-lamp.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the Heaven thread about artistic sheep.

The Weeder:
The sheep here in the Forest completely ignore the dogs, who try to herd hens instead.

cliffdweller:
(sigh). The story of my life.

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Posts: 4318 | From: over th... no, there! | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze responds to a Hell rant:
quote:

(extract from a mss found down the back of a 17th C radiator in the Bodleian)

'...and even from the Daies of the Prophet Jeremy, it hath fallen to One to Rail on the Follies and Vices of Mankind and the Sure Judgements which will follow on their Destestable Courses. Yet it is observ'd that Men are like unto certain Insects that cease not to copulate e'en as they are devoured, and that Ill Consequences in no wise dissuade Carnal Appetites. Thus it is that these Soothsayers are like to their Original Cassandra ever crying unto Deafened Ears...'

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
she's baaaack: [Axe murder]
quote:
soon as you get that beautiful old-growth endangered log clear-cut out of your own eyeball then you can bitch about the rest of us.

losers.

our little comet, back in our sky looking like a fuzzy tennis ball just before her fiery tail whacks us in the face.

[ 09. April 2009, 01:13: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

You've maybe all heard this one before, but it was new to me and made me laugh:

quote:
Originally posted by The Galloping Granny:
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Wrestler:

It's just hard to stay enthusiastic when you are really trying to engage folks and you're preaching to 8 rows of empty pews.

We used to call it 'preaching to the Wood family'.

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Lamb Chopped in Heaven, talking about vitamin supplements in the Question thread.
quote:
diarrhea.... is not something to sneeze at.
you're not wrong !

[ 11. April 2009, 09:39: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Sarah G, replying to another Shipmate:

quote:
Thank you immensely. I had planted some mushrooms ten days ago, and needed to compost them this weekend. I had completely forgotten until I saw your post.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the Prayer thread by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:

God keeps us all clasped tightly to his bosom, even though sometimes it doesn't feel like it. Every once in a while we get to stick out heads out and wiggle them around a bit. But it's when we just want to curl up and bury ourselves that we're clasped most tightly.

[ETA a Happy *Sigh*] [Smile]

[ 29. April 2009, 20:42: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Matt Black in his purg thread:

quote:

I like wearing Freudian slips; they're more comfortable than negligees and show off my figure to greater effect.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
PrettyFly

Ship's sunbather
# 13157

- Posted      Profile for PrettyFly   Author's homepage   Email PrettyFly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From The Midge on Christian zeal:

quote:
Hopefully mature spirtual love should not spoil so many sausages as it matures.
I like it [Big Grin]

--------------------
Screw today. I'm going for ice cream.

Posts: 1797 | From: Where the sun keeps shining and where the weather suits my clothes | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Dal Sagno when the Scottish thread was diverted for a short time to Ecclesiantics:

quote:
Well, let's start with a discussion of appropriate colours for clerical robes:

Advent: black
Christmas: black
Lent: black
Eastertide: black
Pentecost: black

Still giggling when I think about it.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

The Great Gumby (on the SoF Eurovision Song contest thread):

That was the biggest load of balalaikas I've seen in some time.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't mind me, just taping something to the fridge...

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Ay de mi! What does this mean?

WE should fear, love, and trust Kelly, so that we do not stuff up our code, nor forget highly important commandments, and in particular never fail to supply a link to the Bible passage we are massacreing. This is most certainly true.

[Big Grin] (sigh)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
You could announce, "We no longer believe in the Trinity" and most would shrug, but God help you if you change the order in which the candles are lit.

Up in Heaven, on the "Marriage: The School for Character" thread, where it is even funnier in context.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
THEN I get to mow the lawn. Yippie fucking skippy.

Get a scythe.
Fuck that. Get a goat.
Nah, I won't fuck a scythe. I'll leave the goat alone too.
From hell, of course.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the 'You keep using that word...' thread in Purg, Petaflop did this thing:

quote:
The quoted claim is slightly unusual - escewing the more normal form "words mean what people use them to mean", demanding a cultural contextual reading.

Rather, to claim that "words mean what the author intends them to mean" argues for the tyranny of the author, which is itself a modernist attempt to cling to some semblance [of] absolute meaning in the face of a crushing post-structuralist critique.

However, I suspect that most instances of this claim are not actually making nuanced statements of a literary theoretical position, but rather using it as a euphemism in place of saying 'I misspoke'.

[ETA - I'm bluffing. I'm a scientist really]

Read it out loud to yourself, and you'll see what I mean. It's like a sort of brisk walk through a sun-dappled beech wood in September for the tongue. Exceedingly satisfying.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by amber. in All Saints, about a senior member of clergy who says he can't write Flat Prose:

quote:
Minutes from his Meetings must be fun:

"Today we had a meeting
It all went very well
We discussed bits of heaven
and my colleagues pondered hell.

Tomorrow is the Synod:
We're going to have such fun!
I'd hope to drink a cup of tea
and eat a currant bun"

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, off-board quote, but very shippy, and causing me pause for thought:

quote:
It takes men two minutes to have an orgasm, and it takes women twenty minutes. What further proof do you need that there is no God?
--Penn Gillette.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

On an entirely different note: A more perfect tribute I cound not imagine--

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
RIP Billy Mays. You sold me a bunch of shit I didn't need. I will miss you yelling at me from the TV.

In memorium, I'm going to go throw a scoop of OxyClean™ into the washer.

[ 30. June 2009, 02:00: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mamacita again, discussing Michael Jackson's demise with her offspring:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
Did they give you that look?

They were quite gleeful about it. I didn't raise no fluffy bunnies.
[On the deathpool thread, of course...]

[ 30. June 2009, 18:28: Message edited by: basso ]

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lord Pontivillian
Shipmate
# 14308

- Posted      Profile for Lord Pontivillian   Author's homepage   Email Lord Pontivillian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*BUMP*

Surely there is more to be quoted! [Cool]

--------------------
The Church in Wales is Ancient, Catholic and Deformed - Typo found in old catechism.

Posts: 665 | From: Horsham | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

So go find it! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All about Max thread in Hell:

quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
"You really don't understand Calvinism very well." Probably not. I'm a wishy-washy Liberal, you see.

I'll send you some tulips.

FD

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gildas in Purg on the Are atheism and fundamentalism really the only choices? thread, partly because it made me laugh out loud, and partly because a post by Gildas is worth celebrating:

quote:
I may be missing the point here but this is all a bit like Barnabas62 saying that it's a bit challenging to join the SAS because you get to yomp across the Brecon Beacons with a bloody great rucksack on during basic training. You seem to be saying that it can't be challenging because the Paras also yomp across the Brecon Beacons with a bloody great rucksack on*. The point is that joining the special forces is difficult which ever particular lot you have signed up with.
<snip>
*ETA militaria anoraks who want to correct my blithe misuse of the training regimen of the SAS et. al. can get stuffed. It were all yomping across the Brecon Beacons when I were a lad.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

(Campbellite- [Snigger] Good one! I likes me tulips, even if I don't like TULIP.)

Originally posted by Firenze in response to Max.'s scatter-shot rant:
quote:

I'm grappling with the ideas that -

a) God has a dining room
b) it has carpet (why not wood? or tile? or stone flags? So much easier).
c) His dining room has shit all over it (pets? incontinence?)
d) He fails to notice (possibly failing faculties, possibly the nasty swirly pattern).

And you worship this being? Sounds more like a case for Social Services.

--------------------

Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Damn, Lyda, you beat me! [Big Grin]

Firenze is one of the posters here guaranteed to make me laugh or thinks.

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A twofer!

In the Metropolitan Community Church thread, in reply to someone basically stating gay men have sex at the drop of a hat (which is why they own so many hats) first this was said:

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
If GLBT persons had as much sex as some people seem to think they do, they'd never have time to march in parades, coordinate their outfits, or plan the Ultimate Destruction of Traditional Marriage, which we all know is their true agenda.

Then, in reply, there was this:

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
And it's always interesting to find gay women cut out of these scenarios. I guess while all the boys are doing the One Thang we're at home braiding the hair on our unshaven legs or something. [Roll Eyes]

[ 15. July 2009, 17:18: Message edited by: Spiffy ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the coiled spring in his "Sack the Matey" thread in Purg. This is mostly for the record as I've not seen it before.

quote:

Well, you know,” drawled the old farmer, this matey fellow is what they call a fencepost tortoise.”

Not being familiar with the term, the doctor asked him what a fencepost tortoise was.

The old farmer said, “When you’re driving along a country road and you come across a fence post with a tortoise balanced on top, that’s called a fencepost tortoise.”

The old farmer saw a puzzled look on the doctor’s face, so he continued to explain, “You know he didn’t get up there by himself, he definitely doesn’t belong up there, he doesn’t know what to do while he is up there, and you just have to wonder what kind of idiot put him up there in the first place.”

Who doesn't have these at w*rk too?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spiffy cracking me up in hell:

quote:
I don't want to be in control of my life. I'd rather be in control of other people's lives.

DANCE, MY MINIONS!

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RooK in Styx:

quote:
Deal with it.

Preferably somewhere else. I suggest a brothel; somewhere that even if they don't give a fuck, you can at least rent one.

After twenty years on the front lines of customer service, this just leaves me [Killing me] [Overused] OliviaG
Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A little history: Erin (as the end of a slippery slope argument) declared she was going to buy a lot of guns and keep them under her pillow. Gwai pointed out that would be quite lumpy, and Janine explains how it works:

quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
There are two kinds of lumpy-bedding royalty.

There are Pansy Princesses who bruise black-and-blue when you insert a dried pea under their mattress...

And there are Empresses who sleep with their treasures under their pillows, and such is the quality of the lady, the treasures shift and conform their positions so as to accommodate their Queen.

So there.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
ephemera
Shipmate
# 13355

- Posted      Profile for ephemera     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think anyone posted this. It's another Rookism and it's a beauty...
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Ah, the web of (internet) life is not always pretty. Especially when you watch a foolish buzzing bundle of terminal earnestness fling itself bodily into a loathsome glob of 99% pure trollite.

--------------------
A cool small evening shrunk to a dog bark and the clank of a bucket -
And you listening. T. Hughes

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly Alves, on the "New Dawn" thread in Purg:

quote:
And it was really the idea of taking communion again that did it. The idea of kneeling with a group of other spiritually hungry folk, having one of them handing you bread to feed you, and passing you a cup to refresh you, and watching the people at the altar serving each other a helping before they headed out to feed us-- this moves me more than I can describe.

[Tear]

(And move over, Anne Lamott!)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousethief, on the Purg thread "Heresy of heresies":

quote:
Let the faith community that is without sin cast the first stone. (Thankfully the anabaptists are pacifists and don't throw stones at people.)

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the 'sex before marriage' thread in DH, Lamb Chopped posted this gem:

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
"Getting it over and done with" is a far better approach to dentistry than to sex.

If only you knew how many jokes have risen unbidden to my mind ...

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This made me smile:

quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:
quote:
Originally posted by Darllenwyr:
Surely one of the defining features of the True Anglican (TM) is always sitting in the back pew in services ...

Catholics do that too.

True ecumenism will be founded on a mutual fear of the front row.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

This quote from ken is appallingly politically incorrect, but hilarious:

"Oxbridge rejects from major public schools go to Durham or St Andrews. Posh students who won't admit that they really wanted to go to Oxford, really, go to Bristol or Exeter. Clever posh people who genuinely didn't want Cambridge go to Edinburgh or Sussex or Kings or LSE or sometimes Birmingham (believe it or not). Clever people who aren't posh and don't really care about being posh go to Imperial or Glasgow or Sheffield or Warwick or Leeds. Just possibly Manchester or even Nottingham. Ones who aren't as posh or as clever as they think they are go to York, or if they are having a really bad day, Reading."

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is certainly true that Bristol uni students (unlike UWE students) tend to be posh. I work in the chaplaincy and I hear their twangy accidents in the street where I live. They tend have posh names too.

I know that is a generalisation but, like most generalisations, there is a grain of truth in it.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More from ken, in his Hell call to coiled spring:

quote:
Its almost as if you thought that if you dared to actually say anything bad about the bishops, a crack squad of Arcdeaconmateys would chase down your broadband connection, leap out of your computer screen, bundle you into a passing Popemobile, take you to a deserted darkened abbey on the moors, tie you down on a desecrated altar, smear you with honey brutally stolen from peace-loving blind geriatric monks in Palestine, and release thousands of stoned starving rabid rats into the room to eat you alive.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This typo from leo in the SoF Quotes file thread is gorgeous:

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
I hear their twangy accidents in the street where I live.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
uncletoby

hobbyhorsical
# 13067

- Posted      Profile for uncletoby   Email uncletoby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
More from ken, in his Hell call to coiled spring:

quote:
Its almost as if you thought that if you dared to actually say anything bad about the bishops, a crack squad of Arcdeaconmateys would chase down your broadband connection, leap out of your computer screen, bundle you into a passing Popemobile, take you to a deserted darkened abbey on the moors, tie you down on a desecrated altar, smear you with honey brutally stolen from peace-loving blind geriatric monks in Palestine, and...

I found it almost erotic until I got to the rats.

--------------------
`` L--d! I cannot look at it ----

Posts: 1150 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  57  58  59 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016