homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » SoF Quotes File (Page 26)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  57  58  59 

Source: (consider it) Thread: SoF Quotes File
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Robert Armin explains history to a student:
quote:
I remember how pleased I was when I came across a student who had never heard of Thatcher. I explained her to him in a gently neutral way: "Now you've read The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe? You remember the White Witch who ruled for years so that it was always winter and never Christmas? Well Thatcher was rather like that."

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you basso - I don't think I've been honoured by a mention on this thread before.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Thank you basso - I don't think I've been honoured by a mention on this thread before.

Heh. Like buses.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB, in the sin/forgiveness/golf Purg thread, gives this analogy of the Personhood aspect of the Incarnation, which is accessible and illuminative:

quote:
Perhaps an analogy would help. Take a dog. You can imagine "being a dog", barking, running around, sniffing, etc. Now assume that a lot of technological breakthroughs occur, and we can actually fully interface a newborn puppy with your brain, wirelessly and continuously. The puppy will grow essentially as normal, but whatever you may wish to call that which shapes its "dogness" into "this particular dog" will not form in the dog but rather in you. This does not turn you as human into a dog, though you will experience dogness. But you can still fully function as a human. This does not turn the dog into a human either, it still behaves like a dog: it barks, it does not speak, etc. Nevertheless, in some sense that dog is you: if the brain interface would be switched off, that particular dog would cease to be (and likely that dog would literally die, not being able to establish a "dog persona" instantly).

The dog - if it could think and speak - could reasonably claim to be you, because even though it is a dog doing dog things, it also is dog according to what you want. And if someone starts to kick this particular dog to death, then in a sense he has killed you: you as a dog. Something of you will die, your dogness. Finally, this dog will likely have your favor. For example, if you as dog are hungry then you are hungry as dog. Hence likely you as human will give you as dog food. To other dogs - if they could think and speak - this may well appear as a kind of magic: somehow you as dog can command a human overlord to do as you please. Yet from your perspective all that is happening is that you as a human and you as a dog are both you and hence act as one.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quotes File, Very Bad Idea Division:

quote:
Originally posted by Think˛:
I really hope you are not intending to start eight different threads on eight different customs at the same time - because I may have to hunt you down wth a blunt fork, a custard pie, three gnomes and a shrubbery.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adeodatus, in the "What we say in hymns" thread in Eccles:

quote:
This morning, I sang a hymn by Charles Wesley that included the words

quote:
I am all unrighteousness;
False and full of sin I am

I thought, "Speak for yourself, you miserable old cow."

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was trying to find this thread to post that ! BUt I looked in All Saints !

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Traveller
Shipmate
# 1943

- Posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spiffy has a wonderful putdown in Pastor.Rob's little prophesy about who is bound for incence and who for sulphur.

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
quote:
Originally posted by Pastor.Rob:
Sorry Spiffy you can go to hell too.

I would, but there aren't any interesting posts on that board right now.

[Killing me] [Overused]

--------------------
I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live:
I will praise my God while I have my being.
Psalm 104 v.33

Posts: 1037 | From: Wherever the car has stopped at the moment! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Esmeralda (when referring to Mary anointing Jesus with oil and wiping his feet with her hair):
This story tells us that whatever one Christian does in service of God, another Christian is bound to come along and criticize it.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Normally, I would think this guffaw-causing outburst:
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
You foolish good for nothing who have no more chance of success than a ragamuffin with three butt cheeks! Since when I have ever pretended to be innocent? I haven't been to a church since I was banned from our local one for breaking Father Tucker's front tooth, I swear like a sailor, I can drink most of those foul-mouthed sailors under the table, and I slept around like a whore until I became too ugly.

to be about par for the course for our little game of Mafia.
Or at least it would be, if it weren't for this potential double-entendre . . .

Originally posted by AristonAstuanax
quote:
Another night in Miss Rachel's priest hole was out

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moo becomes part of the Ship's lexicon:

quote:
Originally posted by Silver Faux:
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:

I was going to post that link. You beat me to it.

Moo

That, of course, would have been a classic example of deja-Moo; a sense that we had been through this bull before.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
iGeek, in All-Saints

quote:
I don't mind the pollen season, per se. I just wish the trees would stop having sex in my nose.

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Posts: 4318 | From: over th... no, there! | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eliab, in Purg (Three Main Themes of the Bible):

quote:
I cannot at this second, liberate someone I know from bondage or restore them to God's kingdom, but there are no end of people that I can, and must, forgive.

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The ever-exquisite turn of phrase by Sine, in Hell to discuss a discontinued china pattern.

quote:
One – well me at least – hopes the matching crystal pattern was ‘Nada’. Then the table could be set with Nil and Nada, which would have a rather desolate ‘Waiting for Godot’ feel to it.
to which Ariel responded
quote:
Yes, and then eventually it would all start to look like Miss Havisham's wedding feast, with the hosts sitting round glumly, festooned with cobwebs, muttering, "Why don't they come?"

Can't be good for your Feng Shui. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

jlg in a Styx discussion about thread closures
quote:
Yorick, you've got pretty much everyone posting in disagreement with you, including IngoB agreeing with RooK and Tubbs.
...which must be a sign of the apocalypse

quote:
Are you playing some sort of personal Bingo game? Who else do you need to complete the card?
I'm such a Circus denizen that I enjoyed the mental image of a game of SoF Bingo. Sure beats buzz-word bingo to keep yourself occupied during a boring business meeting!

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the "Praying to Santa" thread currently residing in Hell:
quote:
Originally posted by Divine Outlaw Dwarf:
Presently, I'm feeling like commencing a novena to Lady Ga-ga for deliverance from humourless Christians with persecution complexes. They do far more damage to the public perception of our faith than any sci-fi series ever could.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alwyn
Shipmate
# 4380

- Posted      Profile for Alwyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile in Hell, ken explains why Joseph Chamberlain can justifiably be called a "a dipstick of humungous proportions":

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
[...] This would be Joseph Chamberlain, father of the much nicer Neville Chamberlain and much more sensitive Austen Chamberlain? (And great-granduncle of Harriet Harman)?

The Joseph Chamberlain whose narrow nationalism and rapacious imperialism led him to betray his liberal principles and sell out to the Tory Party?

The Joseph Chamberlain whose resignation from the Cabinet over Gladstone's Home Rule Bill split the LIberal Party, and sustained the union of Britain and Ireland for at least thirty years after almost all Irish and half the British voters made it clear that they did not want it, so making the Irish rebellion and civil war almost inevitable?

The Joseph Chamberlain who lead the charge away from Free Trade and towards protectionism and Imperial Preference that was one of the subsidiary causes of both the First and Second world wars and perhaps the major cause of the economic depression between them?

The Joseph Chamberlain whose "Tariff Reform League" turned to paranoia and anti-semitism and was one of the founding institutions of the sad shambles of British Fascism?
The Joseph Chamberlain who was involved in planning the infamous Jameson Raid (an English terrorist attack from what was then Rhodesia against South Africa that was one of the causes of the Boer War) and then betrayed Jameson and his men, lying to Parliament, and then was found out when his conspiratorial telegrams were made public?

The Joseph Chamberlain who promoted Lord Lugard's policy of "indirect rule" in Africa, setting up an artificial structure of "native chiefs" in places such as central Kenya or Igboland that had never had them before, disenfranchising the growing black middle class of Sierra Leone, the Lagos Colony and the Cape Colony, keeping millions of Africans out of the government of their own countries for the next fifty years, artificially boosting the rule of a small aristocratic Muslim military elite over what is now northern Nigeria, and setting the stage for the ethnic and political turmoil of modern Nigeria?

The Joseph Chamberlain who desperately tried to ally Britain with Germany during the run-up to the First World War?

The Joseph Chamberlain who pushed through the Aliens Act, the first explicitly racist and explicitly anti-semitic immigration law for over a generation of Victorian liberalism?

The Joseph Chamberlain who was in many ways the political forbear ancestor of Enoch Powell (one of his greatest fans and author of a biography of him)?

The Joseph Chamberlain whose policies were heartily taken up buy AK Chesterton (cousin of the much more famous and much more intelligent and much nicer GK) who founded the League of Empire Loyalists out of the wreckage of post-war fascism, which was basically Chamberlain's imperialist racism, minus Chamberlain's economic radicalism, and with the addition of a hefty dose of irrational anti-semitism (Chamberlain hadn't been so much anti-Semitic as anti-everyone-not-English), and in turn went on to found the National Front and spawn the BNP?

The Joseph Chamberlain who's Unionism, Imperialism, and opposition to Free Trade split the Liberal party and made it unelectable for over a century (maybe for ever, they still haven't recovered) - with the exception of those elections in which Chamberlain also split the Tory Party over Imperial Preference and handed the election back to the Liberals for one last hurrah?

The Joseph Chamberlain who never joined a political party he didn't destroy?

I'm sorry, but when it comes to foreign policy, someone who was personally (if indirectly) responsible for the Boer War, the racist government of Southern Rhodesia, the Great War, the partition of Ireland, the strange death of Liberal England, the Great Depression, the Second World War, apartheid, the Rhodesia/Zimbabwe War, the Biafra War, the BNP, and Harriet BLOODY Harman, can in all honesty be called "'a dipstick of humungous proportions".

--------------------
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

Posts: 849 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Work it, ken. [Cool]

Faux comment, real funny:

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Well then, what is the stupidist thing you ever immediately regretted doing?

Pointing out the correct spelling of "stupidest"? [Razz]

I don't think that word means what you think it means.
The word "stupidest" refers, of course, to the most stupid thing within a given grouping.
The word "stupidist" refers, on the other hand, to a professional who fashions an entire career out of stupid.

Did you never watch John Wayne's movie, The Shootist?
Do you not know that a podiatist is a professional who fashions a career out of becoming close to smelly, mouldering feet?

The question in the OP was, what have you done, then immediately regretted, that instantly qualified you for a career as a stupidist?
But I don't think that word means what you think it means.
You prolly think I jist got drunk and made a stoopid spelling errar.
Pedantist.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Sine's back in Hell, where he belongs:

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:

But you know....when some really bow-wow person comes over you can’t help but think “What about me makes this person think he’s got a snowball’s chance in Hell? Am I giving off some sort of troll pheromone? What’s the matter with ME?”

I know that’s wrong. I know it. But spiritual growth is slow and painful. One step forward, two steps back..

[Tear]

--------------------

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sine strikes again, on the Hell thread "Tits":
quote:
If inner beauty ever becomes the rage, I've wasted a bunch of money on a personal trainer.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

(I feel validated that others have put recent Sine quotes here, too!)

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
This is a manifestation of Yorick’s Second Law of Thermoidiotics. When one’s guest is cautioned about their dinner plate with the instruction, ‘Careful, it’s very hot’, they are instantly rendered incapable of resisting the urge to touch it in order to find out.

I am going to add the word Thermoidiotics to my vocabulary!!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I dunno, maybe boobs bring out the best in people.
quote:
Dumpling Jeff, do you think there would be a market for a deep-cut, square line woman's top with words printed just below the cleavage:

"I know they
look hot!
Now STFU!"

My guess is, if all of those words would not fit on the shirt, the lady doesn't need one.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the top of page 2 on the Lay Presidency thread in Purg, we have this gem

quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
Those who want to do it one way with a priest will do it, those who want to do it on their own will do it.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(apologies, quotes function isn't working right now...) [That's decidedly odd. iF]

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
(One – well me at least – hopes the matching crystal pattern was ‘Nada’. Then the table could be set with Nil and Nada, which would have a rather desolate ‘Waiting for Godot’ feel to it.)

Yes, and then eventually it would all start to look like Miss Havisham's wedding feast, with the hosts sitting round glumly, festooned with cobwebs, muttering, "Why don't they come?"

Can't be good for your Feng Shui. [Ultra confused]

[Edited to insert UBB. iF]

[ 18. April 2010, 18:34: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(Thanks, iF)

Spending a day at a nudist beach:

quote:
Originally posted by John P:
I did sunbathe but with a sock over my appendage, being fearful of sunburn.

[Killing me] Somewhere in Heaven Forester is frothing over the fact that he wasn't the one to write that line.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
To lower the tone a bit...

This falls in the category of "vulgar curiosity," but can anyone imagine why an elderly man of a particularly rugged, macho type, with a white beard and mustache, looks like a stereotypical sea captain, would be wearing pointy women's shoes with kitten heels? in the winter it's women's boots of the almost FM variety. To church. For at least four years.

Obviously I can't ask him, having some semblance of shame left. But ....

Please somebody tell me there's an orthopedic benefit or something.

The women's boots may indeed be comfortable and affordable. Then again, if he's spent that long at sea, anything could be possible. Maybe he shot an albatross?
Just [Killing me]

Coleridge, thou shouldst be living at this hour!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

quote:
Originally posted by Patdys on the baby bath bap thread:
Ultimately, I think Christians only agree on two things.
1) Jesus Christ lived, died and rose again.
2) Other Christians are complete tools for believing the crap they do.

Nail head, meet hammer.

[ 20. April 2010, 08:01: Message edited by: Yorick ]

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You beat me to it, Yorick. I was about to post the same quote.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

Firenze, in Heaven's "Oh No!" thread

quote:
So you didn't go with: 'It's now an undead zombie chicken, and if you step out of line, mummy and daddy will set it peck your brains out' then? Seems like an ideal opportunity to me.
(Do I get a bonus for posting a Sine & Ariel quote which Kelly Alves also posted? [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

quote:
Originally posted by Gildas:
Whilst we are on the subject of flashy lights can I point out that parking on a narrow road with two lanes, effectively reducing it to a one lane road and forcing the opposing traffic to engage in games of docey-fucking-doe, whilst you pop into the newsagent for your copy of the Swizzaway Currant Bun and a packet of fags makes you a complete and utter anti-social tosser and is not remotely mitigated in the slightest by your leaving your hazard lights flashing.

One day I will take your fucking wing mirror off. When I do, do not expect me to stop and leave my telephone number and insurance details tucked away under your windscreen wiper whilst I wait for you to emerge with your cancer sticks and right wing tabloid bilge.

Try walking to the newsagent in future you dozy lard arsed twat.

Just. So. Funny.

(And exquisitely phrased and scansioned.)

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MT and RooK, on the Indicators thread:

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
And, as I said, feel free to be as smug as you like.

This is self-deprecating irony, right? Right?
quote:
Please pass on my sympathies to your family, mousethief. You have just been exposed to a lethal dose of smugions from too much exposure to me. Before you die, your hair is going to fall out and you're going to hate everyone stupider than yourself.

quote:
All my hair has fallen out and I already hate people stupider than myself. Some progostician.

quote:
Shit. Maybe you're the one that irradiated me.

quote:
Look upon my works, ye hirsute, and despair!

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spike asked on the 'what if' thread:
What if God had sent a daughter?

To which Mousethief replied:
All her disciples would have left her the first time she got PMS.

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Spike asked on the 'what if' thread:
What if God had sent a daughter?

To which Mousethief replied:
All her disciples would have left her the first time she got PMS.

[Big Grin]

That is not a quotable quote, it is rampant sexism.

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the 'Herp' thread in Heaven:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
A fine hobby for one in the home of St. Patrick.

Ah, the Herp that once through Tara's halls...

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:
Originally posted by Esmeralda:
That is not a quotable quote, it is rampant sexism.

Well it made me laugh, anyway. We wymmyn need to laugh at ourselves a bit from tyme to tyme. If only so that we can win back a bit of time to laugh at the men. [Biased]

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Besides, jokes about PMS are so old they have whiskers on them. Quaint, like women drivers or traveling salesman jokes.

And now for something completely different:
quote:
Be kind to your local census worker. You don't want to hear Jesus say, "I was working for the Census Bureau, and you did not answer me completely and honestly." ~mousethief

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze again on the Gordo's Blunder thread in Purgatory:

"Gordon may have lost the Rochdale granny vote, but he has probably gained the helpdesk one."

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Besides, jokes about PMS are so old they have whiskers on them. Quaint, like women drivers or traveling salesman jokes.

I have whiskers. Does that make me quaint? I've always wanted to be quaint.

[ 30. April 2010, 21:38: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It makes you adorable. [Biased]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Think˛ hosting with style in Hell on one of the Arizona lunacy threads:

Originally posted by saysay:

.......Originally posted by Choirboy:
.......Yes. The Netherlands.

I know this is a tangent, but does anyone know why people are currently arguing that putting women on submarines is going to work out fine because it works in Norway and Canada? Because I thought that everyone knew that part of the problem is that their cultures are so very different from American culture - and even more so from the culture from which the military draws most of its recruits.

Purg is that way --->

Baffled Phasing Hell Host

[ 01. May 2010, 16:16: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
... are we saying that Job's wife was right?

She was half-right. Go ahead and curse God, but you don't need to die.

Moo

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Mamacita:
quote:
It's the nature of stress to be untidy. If it folded itself up and put itself away, it wouldn't be stress.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Birdseye:
quote:
I think one of the things that continually bothers me about God is that he loves me -he should, I feel, really be setting his standards higher...

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

On the Angry at God? Thread, LambChopped says what is probably going to be the way I get into Heaven (God willing).

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I'm afraid I do still yell at God. I know I'm being ridiculous, and I know 90% of the world has it much, much worse. But I've long since given up the hope of walking with some dignity into the Kingdom. I'll be the one staggering in with a bottle in a paper bag, careening first off one doorpost and then the other, until a divine arm snakes out, grasps me by the foot and yanks me in on my bottom.

--------------------

Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Firenze again on the Gordo's Blunder thread in Purgatory:

"Gordon may have lost the Rochdale granny vote, but he has probably gained the helpdesk one."

[Overused] spot on!

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MiceElf:
Can someone explain how you spank the monkey.

Please tell me the innuendo is deliberate!

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adeodatus:

quote:
Most of the time, the devil is a bloke we invent when we want to blame someone after we've behaved badly. E.g.:

Adam: "The woman made me do it!"
Eve: "The snake made me do it!"
Snake: "Hiss." [Translated: You bastards!]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How to decide which books get included in the Bible - a choice:
quote:
Originally posted by Nigel M in the Authority for New Testament thread in Keryg:
There seem to be two uses of the word 'canon' in the whole debate: one associated more with the academic history of religions where 'canon' is the final decision of a authoritative group of notables who shake hands on the deal, pass a list to the publisher and say, "There you go my man, now be a good chap and slap a couple of dust covers on that", while perhaps 'canon' understood more within the faith community is similar to the situation where one notable waddles round the library of a another notable he is visiting at several removes and notes, "I say old chap, I see you have the same set of books that I have. Great minds think alike, what?"

Canon as a process, rather than an output. Or something like that.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha (seal clubbing thread in Hell) :
Honestly, I am not sure how most Apple owners can belong to a monotheistic religion and not be accused of idolatry.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  57  58  59 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016