homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » SoF Quotes File (Page 27)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  57  58  59 

Source: (consider it) Thread: SoF Quotes File
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, Comet...

quote:
Life is short, I don't want to spend my whole life bettering myself. Sometimes I want to worse myself.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken, on the LibDems' role in the new government:

quote:
Originally posted by ken:

I sort of hope they do get Wales though because then we can use that great quote from "man for all seasons"

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eliab's eloquent assessment in Dead Horses:
quote:
You seem to have perfectly grasped the point I was making, and imagined that I was saying something else.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, it isn't often that FLP is quotes-file worthy, but I laughed a solid minute at this:

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Angry at God? Moo

Okay I tried that and I'm still angry.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
John P on The Meaning of Life in one sentence thread in Purgatory:

quote:
Originally posted by John P:

If, when I die, I am accused by the Almighty of not fulfilling my purpose I will honestly reply "Well I'm terribly sorry, but you might have made it a bit clearer."

[Overused]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lyda * Rose in purgatory, about how embracing 1st-century Christianity does NOT require her to accept all modern "miracles":

quote:
I can believe in six impossible things before breakfast, but I can disbelieve a zillion impossible things before I tuck myself back into bed at night.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apologies for doing this to an apprentice, but Protozoan's statement in Purg gave me a wonderful mental picture:

quote:
For me, being part of a church gives me a space where I can bounce off other Christians
S/he obviously goes to the Inflatable Church!

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Esmeralda:
Apologies for doing this to an apprentice, but Protozoan's statement in Purg gave me a wonderful mental picture:

quote:
For me, being part of a church gives me a space where I can bounce off other Christians
S/he obviously goes to the Inflatable Church!
At Stoneleigh 1999 there was an bouncy castle and *anyone* was allowed on it. Now I didn't see this but I am assured that Terry Virgo was seen on it grinning broadly because he was actually enjoying himself!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thus spake Marvin the Martian (pbuh):

quote:
You can dislike us all you fucking want, but do NOT keep insinuating that we're just some sort of fifth column or sleeper cell for the big bad evil fundamentalists. At least give us credit for being honest in what we believe and do.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
QLib, on a Hell thread about share prices. Or something:

quote:
Seriously, shipmates
I may not be a
Literary giant or even
Very good at
Exceptionally trite
Rhymes, like some I could mention.

Fancifully, perhaps, I imagine I
Am also not
Usually as big a
Xxxxing twat, as some I could mention.

archy found the shift key?

--------------------
Do you want to see Jesus or don't yer? Well shurrup then!

Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
wotthehell, archy. wotthehell.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jigsaw, on what the well-dressed car is wearing this summer:
quote:
I'm not quite sure what a bigass truck is, let alone how you adorn it with super pricy Grills, or what a "Calvin peeing" decal represents, or how you bungee it in a bed, but it all sounds fantastic, and with a couple of England flags added for good measure, just think how you could increase your amusement.

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousethief on edges:
quote:
we're talking round pipes. Perfectly round. There is no edge. It's the exact 180° opposite of having an edge. You can't get any less edgy than a cylinder. Their edgeosity factor is nil. No edgeness. Completely unedgeified. It's not a sword in any way, shape, or form. Give it up.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Radical Whig in Purgatory:

quote:
So, for me, Christianity is really a philosophical choice, which I accept because it is good. It's a lifestyle I decide (attempt) to adhere to for its own sake, because of its inherent excellence and attractiveness, and not necessarily because it is literally true. Speculative understanding of the immortal gods/God is a fruitless task, about which I am in any case profoundly agnostic. Yet, if what is "good" is true, there is a certain ineffable "truth" at the heart of Christianity.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Get as clever a you like: nonsense will still be nonsense. --Tom Clune

in a purg thread.

[Killing me]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
3rd Footer, in Ecclesiantics, on equal opportunity in liturgical roles:
quote:
I thought men's ordination to the flower guild was a dead horse.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Provided as evidence that Tortuf is one shameless human being, and that to be flamed by some people is an honor:

quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, kfingers, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy. He hath bore me on his back a thousand times, and now how abhorr'd in my imagination it is!
My gorge rises at it.

We here in the Ship come not to bury Yorick, but to praise him. The trolling that men do lives after them,
The good is oft interred with their bones,
So let it be with Yorick ... The noble jlg
Hath told you Yorick was an asshole:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath Yorick answered it ...

He hath brought many agnostics home to Mumbai,
Whose medications did the general coffers fill:
Did this in Yorick seem ambitious?
When that the poor have cried in Mumbai, Yorick hath bragged:

What cause withholds you then to mourn for him?
O judgement! thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason…. Bear with me;
My heart is in the coffin there with Yorick,
And I must pause till it come back to me.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mark Wuntoo, in his Purg thread OP:

pubic places had notices 'No spitting'

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
uncletoby, in the "Fermented or Unfermented?" thread in Purg:

If Jesus had really tried to foist non-alcoholic wine on a bunch of well-refreshed wedding guests, my guess is that he would have been crucified rather sooner than the gospel accounts suggest.

Mildly surprised Angloid didn't beat me to it!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Psyduck said -

Or it might just be romantic imbecility transposed into a quasi-theological key

I love it - even though I'm not certain what it means.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On booze...
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
Wait, wait... so on this thread, mousethief is appealing to the plain meaning of Scripture, while NJA is arguing from his tradition? [Eek!]

I need a drink.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This comment from Amanda B. Reckondwythe made me smile:

Whenever anyone asks me if I excercise, my answer is: "I get all the exercise I need attending funerals of people who exercised."

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
When I read the Greek of the New Testament I am constantly reminded of the words of my Greek professor. His field was classical Greek. He was also a devout Christian. He said that he read the NT with very mixed feelings. As a Christian, he was aware of the holiness of the text. As a lover of the Greek language, he was appalled.

Moo

[Killing me]

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PhilA on the 'Liberals in name only' thread in Hell:

quote:
I don't think I could take an anarchist seriously with a double mocha choca frapo capo latte in his hand (unless he was going to throw it on a passing poodle after refusing to pay for it).

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From a thread in Hell, we get a new piece of liturgy. Who knew?

quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:
Bring forth the sinner!

"Do you, romanlion, renounce the Tea Party and all its works?"
«I do.»
"And likewise idiotic arguments?"
«I do.»
"Do you hereby embrace the entire Constitution of the United States of America, including Article Five, and all amendments to this document, having been made according to its direction?"
«I do.»
"Do you so promise before God and us, your brothers and sisters, to turn away from stupidity and embrace right reason, beginning again in a new life on the Ship?"
«I do.»
"Then I now bitchslap thee in the name of the Legislative, Executive and Judicial branches. Amen."

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loses a bit without the context - here - but this from PhilA made me smile.

quote:
Pissing into the wind is usually a good idea. I don't know anyone who couldn't do with a little watering now and again.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Alex Cockell hits a home run on the "Kumbayah" thread in Heaven:

quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
quote:
Originally posted by infinite_monkey:
I have GOT to know what the sign for "Kumbayah" looks like.

Simple. It's the same as "AAAAUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

...and some sobering food for thought:

quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:

Did anyone else sing one to the tune of Do-reh-mi that started

'S for Sin a dreadful thing
A for Adam who first fell...'

(it spelt out the word SAVIOUR; wouldn't have worked accross the pond as the spelling is different! In fact the ABC one wouldn't have worked either, as Z has to rhyme with 'ahead'!!)

We also sung one in the church children's club to the tune of 'Michael rowed the boat ashore' about the ten commandments (I suspect my father my have written this one). The only lines I can recall are 'Do not steal, and do not kill (alleluia), love in marriage is God's will (allelulia)'

Why do these sound like the sorts of Horrors Of Religion that people tell their therapists about years later/use in their navel-gazing memoirs about Why They Left Religion?
(messed up quotes makes the baby Jesus cry)

[ 18. June 2010, 10:14: Message edited by: Chorister ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

...and last but not least, a thread crawls out of cyberspace and attacks.

quote:
Originally posted by MiceElf:
Dammn You.... It was going so well.

Last night I had fondly remembered our girl group rehearsing
"What a Friend We Have In Jesus "
sung to the tune of
"The Carnival is Over" by The Seekers...

O.K. I was 14 then and easily impressed.

Then I woke up at 5.00 AM with Bloody Father Abraham spinning round my head. I have taken a pill, but someone has called the men in coats and I think there is time for one more chorus before the van arrives.

Cos I am one of them and so are you...

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, I've made it into the quotes file twice in a week? Go me!

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousetheif in "This Land is Your Land"

Originally posted by Carex:
I know one person who was treed by a bear and sat up there for several hours with the bear peering up at him trying to remember if it was the Black or Brown bear that can't climb trees.

I have this great mental image of the bear at the foot of the tree muttering, "Now, am I the right kind of bear to climb up after this snack? I'd hate to be the wrong kind of bear and fall out of the tree. Let me remember, let me remember...."

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Mousetheif in "This Land is Your Land"

Originally posted by Carex:
I know one person who was treed by a bear and sat up there for several hours with the bear peering up at him trying to remember if it was the Black or Brown bear that can't climb trees.

I have this great mental image of the bear at the foot of the tree muttering, "Now, am I the right kind of bear to climb up after this snack? I'd hate to be the wrong kind of bear and fall out of the tree. Let me remember, let me remember...."

[Killing me]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love Leaf's qualification here:

quote:
*"Sheesh" is intended as an expression of exasperation, and in no way implies or endorses disrespect for OLASJC.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will be using this one by Mousetheif -

You're flogging a dead herring.

[Cool]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Marvin the Martian, in Hell on "Waste of Space" (a thread giving Rowan Williams a hard time)

Strong leadership isn't always a good thing. Sometimes it's better to keep everybody talking than to draw a line and tell those on the other side of it to either shut up or fuck off.

Thanks Marvin,

Can I add that so often strong leadership consists of bone-headed intransigence. Ta.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesus heals a woman squibs

And a jolly good thing too - quibs is a very nasty disease and very painful....

--------------------

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*ahem* Chorister, did you mean to post that in "Grandson of FLP"? Because this is the Quotes File.

Aren't you a host here or something? [Razz]

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Brian fart. Been watching too much tennis.

(And yes, I did realise I posted the mis-spelling - was going to correct it, then decided to leave it in so you could laugh even more. [Biased] )

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Nigel M on the Sovereign God thread -

The Garden of Eden lurks heavily in the background

I love the picture of a lurking garden [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

mousethief and Foaming Draught collaborate in Hell:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
another biblical principle

Take my yolk upon you?
If your yolk is light, they aren't free-range chickens.

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spiffy, being her usual fluffy-bunny self in Hell:
quote:
Man, today started off awful for me, watching Yorick and Numpty slap-fight in this thread is better than unicorns bringing me ice cream and angels farting rainbows.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
andythehat

Ship's Flying Monk
# 10399

- Posted      Profile for andythehat   Email andythehat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You beat me to it Campbellite!

So instead I give you Yorick on the "Eggs" thread in Hell:

Originally posted by Eutychus:
You're just albumin for albumin's sake.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I keep reading it. It keeps making me laugh. It's hurting now.

--------------------
Get your warm fuzzy feeling here!

Posts: 302 | From: Cambridge, but now Malmesbury, Wiltshire | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Sometimes simple and profound are one and the same, as discovered by Emma Louise:

Life sometimes really isn't easy is it..

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Okay, I'm evil, but I laughed at this by Mousethief:

quote:
You know, if you have nothing to say, you could just say nothing. Saying less than nothing creates a kind of intellectual vacuum that makes a sucking sound that kind of spoils one's enjoyment of the rest of the thread.

[ 01. July 2010, 21:43: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Harsh, but funny:
quote:
Originally posted by Call me Numpty:
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
What is church discipline (or lack thereof?) Can you expand on what you mean?

It's the third defining mark of a true church as defined in the classic confessions of the Reformation. Anglicanism never bought into it, hence the sad sight of some bearded hermit telling an insane witch not to where a pointy hat in church.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kankucho on the "Who is evangelical?" thread in Purg:
ISTM that anyone who purports to embrace a religion (Christian or otherwise) without recommending it to others is not a believer at all, but merely a customer.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

The combined quotablility of Lyda and Spiffy, on being an American:

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I'm as patriotic as the next gal. I'll be out on the 4th having a good, old time listening to J. P. Sousa marches and quotes from the Declaration of Independence and the Preamble to the Constitution, singing "America the Beautiful", and cheering the fireworks. There are many things about the US that please me, not the least being freedom of speech.

But then the nutjobs open their mouths and it can be soooo embarrassing to be American. [Hot and Hormonal]

I have the same problem, with the added joy of the nutjob being someone I'm related to. My secret shame is the Tea Partiers in my family.

I take solace that my queer, Green Party votin', civil rights demandin', gender-role dismissin', ain't takin' no shit from anyone and that goes double for you, honored Grandfather, self is just as embarrassing to them as they are to me.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Qlib in Hell:

Even Jesus had to vent occasionally.

--------------------

Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PataLeBon in Hell, as an alternative to homicide:

This is Hell, so I don't know why I would even try...but this is more entertaining than thinking about ways to kill my neighbor with the tile hammer

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Posts: 4318 | From: over th... no, there! | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon in Heaven:
At a South American cathedral the congregation was singing enthusiastically before some major celebration started. I was sure they were singing "Huevos! Huevos! Huevos!" (i.e., "Eggs! Eggs! Eggs!"). It turns out the real words were "Fuego! Fuego! Fuego!" (i.e., "Fire! Fire! Fire!").

(I know just enough Spanish to be dangerous. At least I've never yelled "Huevos!" in a burning building.)

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  57  58  59 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016