homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » SoF Quotes File (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  57  58  59 

Source: (consider it) Thread: SoF Quotes File
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't believe this hasn't been posted before:

quote:
A small member is God's way of telling you that you are one of His lambs, not one of His rams.
LATA to Ian Climacus in 'Ask Aunty Altar.'

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4730 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

- Posted      Profile for Niënna   Email Niënna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
Welcome to the underwhelming.

On the DH thread, Biblical Inerrancy

[ 07. November 2005, 06:28: Message edited by: Joyfulsoul ]

--------------------
[Nino points a gun at Chiki]
Nino: Now... tell me. Who started the war?
Chiki: [long pause] We did.
~No Man's Land

Posts: 2298 | From: Purgatory | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

- Posted      Profile for Niënna   Email Niënna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's another:

quote:
Originally posted by scoticanus:
Blessed are the respectable, because theirs is the fun of kicking all the rest.

[eta: flippin' code]

[ 07. November 2005, 21:13: Message edited by: Joyfulsoul ]

--------------------
~No Man's Land

Gildas ap Caius
Shipmate
# 10470

- Posted      Profile for Gildas ap Caius   Email Gildas ap Caius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(At times) This baby lists to port so far you could fish with a dip net.
Romanlion, speaking of SoF (the boards, at least) in Purgatory's "Call in the Allies?" thread; to an American who, thinking himself liberal, found himself further right than many of his shipmates.

--------------------
You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them. — Ray Bradbury
Here's to bigger, and much, much better, explosions! --- Artemus Gordon

Posts: 276 | From: Thulcandra, screaming. | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"A person is not fully formed when they come new born..... The entirety of their life makes the whole person."

Spotted on another thread, but I foolishly didn't save who wrote it. First person to find it and post here gets some free choccy.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34563 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jengie Jon on What is the Reformed 'franchise'? in Purgatory -last one on the bottom of this page if the link works.

If you are serious about the choccie, I'm happy to send something horribly Australian in return.
Vegemite, kangaroo scrotum, you know that sort of thing.

[I put a bit of your remembered phrase into the search engine BTW and guessed it would be in Purg]

[typo]

[ 11. November 2005, 03:54: Message edited by: Pure as the Driven Yellow Snow ]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Do waht I telepathically tell you to do, not what I say."

--Director, over headset on TV production I was working on today.

--------------------
"Take your broken heart, make it into art"-- Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

Posts: 35053 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
"Do waht I telepathically tell you to do, not what I say."

--Director, over headset on TV production I was working on today.

Ah...comms chatter - a potential source of great entertainment for those who work in the broadcast industry!

A director I often work with likes to say
"mention my name and you'll get a good seat"
when someone in the crew has to excuse themselves, perhaps with the remark "I'm just going to put a deposit on some porcelain".

--------------------
if there's no god, then who turns on the light when you open the fridge?

Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh the fun we had today, riffing on on the General Manager, who kept the staff, the talent, and the volunteers waiting a half hour after we were supposed to wrap, just because he decided five minutes before the end of the show that he wanted to be a camera-whore.

Quote of the day, by moi:

"God,that guy is slick. I don't know if I can contain myself, I might just leap right over the camera and have him."

The boys in the control room loved that.

--------------------

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Author's homepage   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just posted here... where did it go?? [Confused]

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15193 | From: The Stables | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That would make a good quote in itself, Pants! [Killing me]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I just thought this was funny.

From Corpus cani, after getting fact-checked:
quote:
You checked?

You CHECKED?

Well! I proffer my words of wisdom and you "check" them? I'm mortified.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

This just in:Spiffy's sig

quote:
In a very Christian way, as far as I’m concerned, he can go to hell.
President Jimmy Carter on Rev. Jerry Falwell.

Carter said that? He really said that?

Another person I hope is lurking.

--------------------

aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
This just in:Spiffy's sig

quote:
In a very Christian way, as far as I’m concerned, he can go to hell.
President Jimmy Carter on Rev. Jerry Falwell.

Carter said that? He really said that?

Apparently.

--------------------
if there's no god, then who turns on the light when you open the fridge?

Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Life is to short to argue with the people whose funerals we will eventally have to attend.

Jeremiah Gutzywuk in Hell

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

"All I can conclude from that is that Jesus was obviously a woman, given that she was a conspicious failure as a carpenter and spent a lot of time befriending the lonely and the disheartened."

Demas, on the thread Bradford Abundant Life Church

[Killing me]

--------------------
~No Man's Land

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This from RooK on the "Calling Dave Marshall" Hell thread deserves to be turned into a church banner

quote:
Nonsense. My favourite people are mean-spirited and reasonable - me, for instance.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 20925 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And, for RooK-watchers everywhere, here is another little GEM.

The phrase "venom-momentum" should be patented.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Three in a row, I know, but this quote from Gort on the TICTH thread deserves a more permanent record.

quote:
Hey, when you're generally inept, it's tough to pick up on subtle cues. I should know.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CrookedCucumber:
I guess doing Christianity on your own is a bit like doing karate on your own -- you can go through the motions, but it's no fun if there's no-one to beat up [Smile]

Nice [Cool]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 29876 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Accept your family as they are, not as you would like them to be. Then ignore them.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because it's too long to be my next signature:

quote:
The majority of the natives of this Tartarian region are in full keeping with the scenery—savages, without the grace of savages, coarsely clad in filthy garments, with no change on week-days and Sundays, they converse in a language belarded with fearful and disgusting oaths, which can scarcely be recognized as the same as that of civilized England.
Samuel Sidney describes the West Midlands, 1851

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 29876 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by quantpole:
I doubt very much that up until 100 years ago the church was the epitome of inclusivity.

From the "girlie" thread in Purgatory, a masterly understatement.

--------------------

quantpole
Shipmate
# 8401

- Posted      Profile for quantpole   Email quantpole   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And thankyou for correcting my spelling before quoting me.

(Epitome not epitomy. Not being a student any more means I've been missing Countdown too much)

Posts: 884 | From: Leeds | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

From Birdseye:

"God is not an answer.
God is a question."

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Originally posted by Tubifex Maximus in a current, and deeply "sad", Styx thread:

I used to know a Methodist Minister who actually had deliverance ministry to drive out his sense of humour

Thanks TM! Sometimes I reckon a certain amount of "driving in" a sense of humour is a good thing to have ministry for.

--------------------

Tubifex Maximus
Shipmate
# 4874

- Posted      Profile for Tubifex Maximus   Email Tubifex Maximus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to thank Barnabas62 for his nomination; I have occasional moments of lucidity. I now need deliverance ministry for my vanity...

--------------------
Sit down, Oh sit down, sit down next to me.

Posts: 400 | From: Manchester | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the recipe thread:

Mamacita: But what's a "knob of butter?"
ken: Less than you want but more than you ought to.

Which is pratically unarguable.

Posts: 4342 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
fnk

Ship's Errand Boy
# 10377

- Posted      Profile for fnk   Email fnk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a quote I read somewhere on the ship that I can't find any more. Can anyone enlighten me?

I think it was someone's sig and it went something along the lines of: " Touch the wounds in my hand, stick your hand into my side, if someone said that to you at a party you would slowly back away"

--------------------
You can lead a horse to water,
but you can't make it enjoy the view

- Love This City, The Whitlams

Posts: 322 | From: Mainland Godzone | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it may have been The Coot, but I'm probably wrong.
Posts: 4253 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooer. Gang shuo Caocao, Caocao jiu dao! Speak of the devil and he appears.

Yes, lol, something like that, Lambchopped had it as her .sig.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
-True moral deliberation is a lot more complicated than lists of platitudinous prohibitions. -Lutheranchik (on Are sins redundant? - Purg thread)

[I felt like I was reading myself there for a split second...cool jive-type-groovy-rhyme with smooth delievery yet pithy sharp bite..you go girl] [Overused]

[ 20. January 2006, 21:19: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Sine on the Insults thread in Hell:
quote:
The best insults aren't 'fucktard' or 'wanker' but merely the truth another prefers not to acknowledge.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20716 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Always Waiting
Shipmate
# 10141

- Posted      Profile for Always Waiting   Email Always Waiting   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw this as a sig when I was lurking. I sniggered for a couple of weeks, then joined the Ship:

"You people wouldn't know a saint if he pissed in your cheerios."
- Gort -

...and yep, after testing, that still makes me snigger.

Posts: 191 | From: 42 Below | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Hot and Hormonal]
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Timothy the Obscure in Purg:
quote:
Maybe we should just stop trying to eff the ineffable.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I liked that one, too. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From this thread...

Sayeth Pottage:
quote:
It's absolutely true that wherever two or three of Wesley's people are gathered together, one of them will have brought a quiche.
Made me chuckle anyway.
Posts: 4253 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I could fill this thread just by following Spiffy the Wondersheep around for a day or so
quote:
Grand social narrative is why God created blogs. And my potatoes are burning!

[ 11. February 2006, 19:16: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Exhibit B:

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy da Wonder Sheep:
quote:
Whatever is causing the Joan Collins 'tude, deal with it. Embrace the pain, spank your inner moppet, whatever, but get over it.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two gems today:
quote:
Originally posted by The Bede's American Successor:
Of course, God does buy us flowers and a bottle of wine time and time again to convince us of Love's existence.

and

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy da Wonder Sheep:
The position of Savior of the World is already taken (but they're keeping my resume on file for any other positions that might come up)

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20716 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All of us Christians are a sham now and then - but seeing where we've fallen short of commitment can lead us to greater dependence on divine grace. - Newman's Own

from the Gene Robinson In Alcohol Rehab thread.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:
Sorry, I didn't realize this was a bad thing to do.

It's not a bad thing at all. I'm just an asshole.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

RooK, you're on a roll lately.

(from above, after random cheap shot):

... Also, they tend to be human, and that's generally not the best way to get on my good side.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

.and another...

quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
There's always rules, whether you're shooting fish in a barrel or dropping grenades in a lake.

Gee, everybody's so witty lately.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
down from Heaven comes:

quote:
originally posted by Corpus Cani:
Personally, I'm finding it difficult to believe that God will provide a personal vibrating massage wand with solar powered batteries.

Even for Mousethief.

[Killing me]

(eta: I'm a nitwit who can't do UBB. mea culpa)

[ 20. February 2006, 06:11: Message edited by: cometchaser ]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17022 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
my God we're a brilliant bunch of funny people on this ship!

quote:
originally posted by KenWritez:
I inspire raging hormones like Genghis Khan riding little red blood cells across the steppes of your hippocampus.

[Overused]

this is what writers do with ego trips. I love it!

Comet

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17022 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

This was absolutely hilarious (from purg):

quote:
from the estimable wit of IngoB:
cease and desist, or Satan will bite you in the butt. I swear.

[Overused]

--------------------
~No Man's Land

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Another Spiffleism:

quote:
Well, I'll be there (Baruch HaShem and the crick don't rise).

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... And stop signing all your email "Love" -- it's creepy and it makes me hate you. ~RuthW

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  57  58  59 

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016