homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » SoF Quotes File (Page 30)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  ...  57  58  59 

Source: (consider it) Thread: SoF Quotes File
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin PC Not & Ship's Biohazard:

quote:
Ah, here I am! In all my solipsism. I wondered where I was.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19991 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fr. Gregory, via Nicodemia, Losing God thread, All Saints:

Father Gregory once said to me, when I was doubting whether God loved me, "You get loved along with everyone else", which I found enormously comforting!

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a discussion about mid-life decisions to seek ordination on the Vocations thread in All Saints.

quote:
Originally posted by 3rdFooter:
Besides where is the "mid-life" in eternal life?

Fr 3rdFooter (Ordained at 43)

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the HOW MUCH!?! thread in Hell, Zach points out the obvious.

quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
If Manchester United is supposed to be some charity for the unemployed, I think it is being fantastically generous in giving $500,000 to a man which, if he is like the usual sports player, has absolutely no other marketable skills whatsoever.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:

It's a pity that the RCC is so hung up on literal translation that the new Missal is likely to sound like an A level Latin prose translated by Daleks.

Angloid's comment on 70s thread
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bob Two-Owls on the 'Embarrassingly 1970s thread:

I will go back to being pagan if I ever again have to hear the Lord's Prayer beginning with "Yo! God! you is in heaven innit"

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34563 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
For some reason (probably my perversity) whenever someone starts describing themselves as freethinkers, clear thinkers, rationalists, or what have you, I get this incredible urge to introduce myself, smile brightly and say, "So pleased to meet you. I'm a totally irrational psychopath myself."

[Killing me]
Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Poppy Pride and Prejudice (Hell) we have this practical and heart-felt suggestion from Mousetheif:

'We should maybe have a standing thread that lists the annual threads and gives appropriate not-before dates for starting them, and a terminal date for closing them. We could call it "What goes around, comes around again.'

No maybe about it.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24001 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked this quote by TubaMirum reminding us of Jesus' priorities:

(If you notice, the only people Jesus ever lectured were Pharisees. The religious authorities who demanded perfect adherence to the law, that is.

"Sinners," on the other hand, he invited to dinner.)

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over in the mafia game, I thought about awarding El Greco some kind of prize for funniest post in thread, but instead I shall record it for posterity here:

quote:
originally posted by El Greco, channelling the god Ra:

I tried alchemy to turn that yellow thing go green, but then I remembered the Green Fever, green paper evokes in the unlearned. I tried to turn the shining thing into water, but then it occurred to me that that would overflow the Nile, and we don't want that, do we? Last time such an amount of gold was turned onto water by our great ancestor Noah, it didn't go that well.

Then I tried to turn it into thin air, but I could not succeed. All the scrolls spoke about turning thin air into gold, and they had little information about the opposite procedure.

So, desperate as I see all I love go to the Underworld, I beseech you: Give me time to find the glasses of Ra. It is this great artifact, this great religious object, that this excavation is really all about. It is said in the ancient hieroglyphics of the City of the Dead, that the glasses of Ra, the first glasses ever made on the planet, which Ra the Ancient used when he came on earth because he had myopia, are to be found inside this excavation site. It's either here, or in Norway, the hieroglyphics aren't very exact.

When I find the glasses, I will put them on. And then we will be safe.

It's very easy really. So, please try not to kill yourselves and not be killed, while I am looking for the glasses of Ra in the catacombs. The hieroglyphics of the Necropolis say that when a person of great affinity to the Gods wears them, he can see right into the character of each person. So, when we find them out, we will know who belongs to the mafia, and we can turn them to the police. We will also know who slept with Tiger Woods, and if Obama is the Antichrist.

[Killing me]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From QLib:

quote:
Language doesn't work like that. Hamburgers may have come from Hamburg, but no one is suggesting that beefburgers come from a place called Beefburg.
Thank you for that.

(Off now to google for the lost medieval town of Vegeburg.)

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Silver Faux:
quote:
Is it possible that some who appear to see through a glass darkly do so because the glass is filled with spiced rum?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21292 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A lesson in semantics.

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Originally posted by "The Ship's Chaplain":
I really don't understand why people feel the need to swear though,

It's fun and it gets the point across so much easier.

quote:
it has always been my understanding that the greater the need to use profanities, the lower the intelligence. It makes perfect sense as obviously the lower the intelligence the more limited the vocabulary is likely to be.
I am compelled to point out that your inane insistence that profanity is the hallmark of an uneducated mind is leading me irrevocably towards the conclusion that, due to your inherent inability to pique the interest of any fine ladies in your locale, your social habits must, perforce, consist of nothing more than online verbiage and enthusiastic masturbation. I am left with the conclusion that your defenestration is the only viable solution to our mutual problem, viz. your continued insistence on ludicrous vocabulary constraints.

Means "Shitting hell, you are one tedious wanker. Why don't you just take your stupid 'no swearing' bollocks and fuck off."

See, it's much easier and more to the point if I use profanity, isn't it? [Smile]

--------------------
"Take your broken heart, make it into art"-- Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

Posts: 35053 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's one-liners, and then there's one-liners:

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Dying at age 90 going Mach 1 with my hair on fire, pursued by the father of a supermodel I had deflowered.

(On the "biggest fantasy" thread in Heaven.)

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(Sigh)
I laughed. Sue me.

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
I know I stand in line
Until you think you have the time
To write a Hell post to me
And if we go someplace to duel
I know that there's a chance
You won't do fencing with me

Then afterwards we drop into this Hellish little place
And have a post or two
And then I go and flame your ass
By posting something truthful
Like ‘you fucktard’.

I can see it in your eyes
You still despise the same old lines
You heard the night before
And though it's just a line to you
For me it's true
And never seemed so right before

I practice every day to find some clever
lines to say
To tell the god-honest truth
So then I think I'll wait until you come onto
this board
And I can flame you

The time is right
Your posting fills my head
The mist get red
And oh the air's so blue
And then I go and say it all
By posting something honest
Like ‘you fucktard’…
’You fucktard’

I think this can go in the official hell songbook right next to Chastmastr's brilliant "That's What Hell is for."

[ 09. November 2010, 16:03: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From mousethief in the purg thread "I am being driven to the left.... ":
quote:
In today's politics, you are driven to the left by standing still.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1560 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 3rdFooter:
Of course, if the sermon were directed by the Holy Spirit, then the words are not your own anyway.....

quote:
Originally posted by pjkirk:
I don't know if the holy spirit is in the business of suing for copyright violations though.

Very true.
quote:
Originally posted by Jon in the Nati:
The Holy Trinity is not terribly litigious, but if it were, it would hire St. Thomas More, and he'd win.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19991 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon in the Nati:
The Holy Trinity is not terribly litigious, but if it were, it would hire St. Thomas More, and he'd win.

St. Ivo of Kermartin was no slouch as a lawyer either. Maybe he gives competitive rates for special clients.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21292 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
mousethief in the Obama is gonna take out guns thread:
quote:

Good thing breathing is autonomic.

Apropos far too often.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 16931 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin making a wonderfully understated point to IngoB in MAAN:

quote:
I have to ask, and this is in all sincerity. You clearly find the leadership of the boards morally and intellectually deficient and do not agree at all with the way we do things (and will continue to do things) so why do you not shake the dust from your sandals and depart this place?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Eutychus, in fine form:

quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypso:
*Sings*

nibbling

Wait. "ni" is "in" spelled backwards... "in" is "in" spelled backwards and reversed... "bb" stands for "Bulletin Board"... and "lg" is "jlg" without the "j" for "Jesus" [Eek!]

This is clearly satanic. A prayer vigil should be convened at once.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7549 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the 'Big Dick' thread in Hell.

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
I couldn’t see how talking about a real life bishop being horrid about another real life bishop would need a second Hostly warning by reference to another thread firstly warning about how naughty it is to talk about a virtual bishop on a thread about a real life bishop being naughty.

I enjoyed that [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12661 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the same thread, Sine once again lays it out:

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
That's just so Anglican. You can be a bishop and be iffy about the Virgin birth or the nature of the Trinity, but be impolite and you're out on you ass.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17022 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Heaven, Nunzia told us what she eats for breakfast:

quote:
Originally posted by Nunzia:
I start with a pure,white, spotless bowl, undefiled by chips or crazing.

Into that I pour Wheaties, representing Christ, the Champion of all those who trust in him.

Over the Wheaties, I pour milk, representing the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Then comes the sprinkling of the raisins, as a reminder of the true vine and the husbandman.

I really, really want to throw in some sliced bananas, but I can't. I love bananas but I don't know what they mean.

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
jlg, speaking of the Ship -

In any ten minutes, I never fail to learn something. Maybe the latest news flash (before I even read the morning paper), a bird/critter factoid, the arcane details of etiquette or the British royalty/peerage system, the convoluted reasoning of some True Believer, who is celebrating what and how, or simply what lots of other people all over the world are doing with their time, not to mention what they are eating!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12661 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nunzia

Shipmate
# 4766

- Posted      Profile for Nunzia   Email Nunzia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
churchgeek in Purgatory, on the subject of why the NZ miners weren't rescued.

quote:
We are definitely not going to get a logically satisfying answer to the "problem of evil" from a God whose apparent response to suffering in creation was, "Ooo, lemme get in on that!"

...and then, from the Cross, asked basically the same question we're asking here.

--------------------
----- ---------. ---- - ---- ----.

Posts: 1903 | From: Crazy-glued to the ledge | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousethief, demonstrating his on-going mastery of the quip (in Hell, something to do with spermatazoa and Mackintoshes):
quote:
Jedi are overrated. I've gone over to the grey side.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18767 | From: scarily close to 40° | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Max_Power on the Religious Indoctrination of Children thread in Purg, on why he became a Christian despite his atheist parents' attempts to prevent just that:
(I)n my early twenties I realised that there was more to life than nothing.

--------------------
“Religion doesn't fuck up people, people fuck up religion.”—lilBuddha

Posts: 63107 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rook is going soft in his old age.

But, you know what, fuck that. Considering how I hope your face gets eaten by baboons, then your exposed sinuses are then infested with tarantulas, and as you lie there blind and bleeding with giant hairy spiders laying eggs on your soft palate I hope you get sodomized by a pack of crazed hyenas that have escaped from a methamphetamine experiment...

Unsurprisingly, from Hell.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3546 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Adeodatus in Purg:

If Jesus and I are supposed to have a relationship, it wouldn't kill him to pick up the phone once in a while.

Posts: 4451 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jigsaw
Shipmate
# 11433

- Posted      Profile for Jigsaw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evangeline, in the Purg thread "Fill out the Church application form in triplicate" wondering how Jesus would have completed his application form:

"I bet these churches'd knock back Jesus Christ himself if he applied. Some suggested answers to a suitably modified application so as not to infringe copyright.

1. If you were baptized, describe your experience.

I was dunked in the Jordan by a hippie and then I heard voices.

2. Relate your experience with education classes or small group ministry.

They went really well for a while and then everyone got confused about who and what the Messiah was and somebody dobbed me into the police and then everyone dropped out except for my Mum and a couple of her gal pals.

3. Relate your experience with telling others about Jesus Christ.

It didn't end so well either. I preached but when they arrested me I stopped talking cos it was a waste of time. Ended up being mocked and spat on._

4. Explain how God has gifted you and how you have used that to serve others.

Turning water into wine has been a big hit at parties.

5. Describe your commitment with financial giving

As an unemployed itinerant preacher with a few carpentry skills I'm not so good with financial commitments.

6. What is the last church you attended and why did you decide to leave?

1st Jewish synagogue in Jerusalem.

The attempted stonings and lynch mobs became a bit problematic.

7. Have you ever been under any kind of church discipline? Please explain.

See above. "

--------------------
You are not alone in this.

Posts: 743 | From: Snorbens, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spiffy in Hell:
quote:
...your Bible is suffering from a case of the translation stupids.
That gave me a very needed laugh!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17826 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

In Hell:
quote:
Originally posted by Herrick:
IDIOT the girl at the checkout who couldn't scan my condoms, "Price check on Ansell condoms extra-small."

Takes a big man to admit it, Herrick. [Big Grin]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62 on the "Calling my co-religionists to Hell" thread:
The bible is not a paper Pope.

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief in Heaven:
And you could always get used meat from the pagan temples, apparently. "Only sacrificed once, on Sundays, by an old priestess."

I'll keep that in mind!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17826 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Silver Faux on people wanting their church to be different (should be printed on church noticeboards up and down the land):

Okay, clearly I see a few things differently from some of y'all.
But I beleive that God blesses - truly blesses - each congregation.
Just not in exactly the same way for each one.

So, when I hear or read rants of "Why can't our church - be more praisefull - be more quiet and contemplative - include liturgical dance - have long period of silence - ascend to the heavens, then return for lunch - etc, I am reminded of a child sitting under a Christmas tree, crying because his brother received a new pair of roller skates while refusing to even look at his brand new baseball glove.

But, as I said, I see a few things differently from some of y'all.
And some of you, no doubt, are thankful that you dont see things as I do!

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice sum up from ken of the social justice gospel

quote:
Originally posted by ken:

But of course orthodox Christianity leads to political left! We worship, as God, a man who identified with the poor.

Who came to preach good news to the poor, liberty to the captives, sight for the blind, and freedom for the oppressed. Who came to to so that the blind receive their sight and the lame walk, lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear, and the dead are raised up, and the poor have good news preached to them. Who said that it was easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. That the poor will inherit the Kingdom of God. That the Kingdom belongs to those who feed the hungry, give water to the thirsty, clothe the nacked, visit the sick and the prisoners. That the last would be first, and the first last. Who tells us to love our enemies.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9471 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Comet has her head screwed on about parenting teens:

Some kids do well in the education system we have set up for them. Some don't. If they don't pass the necessary tests, if they wash out of college- that's not the end of the world. It may even be the beginning. What do you really want for your children? Academic success? Financial success? Working 9-5 and paying a mortgage in the burbs?

I want my kids to have adventures. I want them to collect stories. I want them to have moments that make them exilerated. Some are lit up by education, but others are not.

I guess- don't despair if your child bucks the trends. There is so much more to life than doing it right. if you teach them to value living, to put their face to the gale and laugh- they're going to do okay.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

A certain famous couple gets a response to their plea for newborn aid:

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
Brother Joseph! You just not CLAIMIN' it! You just not CLAIMIN' the wealth that GAHD has set aside for YOU!

That money is OUT THERE!
That cadillac is OUT THERE!
That holiday in the Bahamas is OUT THERE!
GAHD's chil'ren should be livin' like the royalty they IS!
That penthouse suite is YOURS!
That two-storey villa in the nicer neighbourhood of Nazareth is YOURS!
No DONKEYS for God's chil'ren! It's HORSES!
No STABLES for God's chil'ren! It's FAHVE STAR HOTELS!

Mary CAN have that dress she always wanted!
You CAN have that new workshop you always wanted!
You DESERVE it!
So you NAME it and CLAIM it*, brother Joseph! It's GAHD's will!

*Provisional on filling out the attached standing order form for tithing your next five years' income to 'Greed-is-Good Ministries Ltd...'.

--------------------

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NJA:
... these disciples had experienced many signs and wonders... prophecies, healings, joy, provision, angels, voices from heaven etc, etc yet none of these were seen as signifying the receiving of the Spirit, tobgtues was.

glossographia - gotta love it [Smile]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

On the RSS feeds thread, Wesley J nearly had me heading for the main SoF homepage, as I thought he was referring to a real article someone had written for the main magazine!

God surprises us says Pope on BBC

Pope surprises us says God on Ship of Fools

It would certainly be a good headline if somebody did...

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Lamb Chopped in the 'Is it right to expect [etc]" thread in Purg:

Man does not live by logic alone.

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Meg the Red:
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
On the whole, I'd say God has the tendency to speak to me through the boot to the butt as to any voice.

Yuppers - my tuchis is likewise covered with holy tread-marks; I must spend a lot of time covering my spiritual ears and la-la-la-ing 'cause usually I only achieve enlightment through percussive maintenance.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Eliab, on the Perpetual Virginity of Mary thread currently in Purg:

The good works that human being do for God, or because of God, or which God does through them, really do matter. They are eternally important. Salvation is not an emergency exit from a spoiled creation, it is the permanent redemption, healing and sanctification of that creation in which we participate.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Schroedinger's Cat, location does not matter because it is so universally applicable:

I wish you would speak your mind. From what I have seen, you would then not post at all.

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

A brilliant takedown by dyfrig in Hell.

quote:
Originally posted by dyfrig:
I recognise these as words; they are even arranged in something like a sentence. Beyond that, all I am left with is the same sensation as one gets when hearing Jeremy Clarkson speak - that the sum total of human understanding has diminished over the last few seconds.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Dorothea's observation in the Styx:

'there's something about this place which (sic) 'reaches the parts that other websites cannot reach!'

--------------------

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Author's homepage   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Evensong on the 'why do you lurk?' thread:

We are all different.

quote:
glockenspiel's reply: I'm not.

Someone been watching Life of Brian? [Big Grin]

[ 09. January 2011, 18:00: Message edited by: Chelley ]

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2857 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
birdie, on the parenting thread:

quote:
I know you know the following, but sometimes you need to hear it, okay?

This is bollocks.

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3546 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Hosting

Zappa: stop it immediately.

hosting ends

I guess an admin suspending himself might top it, but, I chuckled at this one.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7722 | From: Canada, eh? | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  ...  57  58  59 

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016