homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » SoF Quotes File (Page 31)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  57  58  59 

Source: (consider it) Thread: SoF Quotes File
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
birdie, on the parenting thread:

I am alarmed at quite how thrilled I am to be included on this thread!

Anyway, what I came for was to post this, from Kaplan Corday on 'christian chick-lit':

One major problem I have with these books is that each of them has on the cover a picture of a woman who looks so pure, wholesome, ethereal, godly, serene and spiritually victorious that I am filled with a furious desire to kick her really hard.

I know *exactly* the ones he means...

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
Besides, my bosom is too beautiful to mar the view with hateful words.

You go, grrl.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lyda*Rose commenting on "born again" language in Purgatory:
quote:
If we are reborn, I think many of us are still waving our fat little hands around and gurgling at the pretty shiny things hanging over the crib.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze on the Inquire Within Question Thread:

If I catch any of you furgling a bogie, I'll mung your greebles quicker than you can say
'Gorsafawddachaidraigddanheddogleddollônpenrhynareur-draethceredigion'

Right, next question.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adeodatus in Hell:
quote:
I've always thought the US government views Britain the way you view that cute, fluffy, but rather too yappy small dog that embarrasses you by trying to jump up and lick your nuts when you take it out for a walk.
that image just made my day! [Killing me]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comet, on the "Neuralgic?" thread in Hell, with the context of using medical terminology in non-medical ways:

quote:
meanwhile, I need to go finishing my encephalitic vacuuming before my perpendicular meeting at the astronomical cafe in a few rabbinical hours.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lamb Chopped, in Hell, telling us how to sort out God:

Cry out to him. Cry in front of him. Nag him. Harass him. Ask him to get a move on. Get all your friends to do the same on your behalf. Nothing is more annoying to the devil--or more pleasing to the Lord--than when this kind of horrible situation results in you clinging closer to Him.

I love the imagery of telling God to get a move on....

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Twilight's insight and honesty on the 'Dead Church' thread:

Fineline's church must be doing something right. It seems to have turned out a person of extraordinary patience and understanding.

I'd be like, "Dead church?! Shut up!"

Didn't Jesus promise that whenever believers gathered together the Holy Spirit would join them, however old and stodgy they might be?
I'll mumble a prayer for the poor young thing.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
mousethief extends the spirit of tolerance to all God's children in pizzerias everywhere:
quote:
The idea that some toppings on pizza are "right" and some are "wrong" just makes no sense at all. Like God has a canonical list somewhere of proper pizza toppings -- the Ten Condiments. Oy.
I'm off for my shrimp scampi, bacon, and spinach alfredo pizza.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comet, in "Ubuntu Hell":
quote:
sometimes I'm so wonderful I make myself mildly ill.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Carys, on the 'archaic but beautiful' thread (KJV), on how modern liturgy can be:

just a pooh trap for heffalumps

Wrestling with the modern Lord's Prayer each week, I know just what she means.

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Carys, on the 'archaic but beautiful' thread (KJV), on how modern liturgy can be:

just a pooh trap for heffalumps

Wrestling with the modern Lord's Prayer each week, I know just what she means.

Wow I've made it to the quotes file. Though slightly mangled.

The full quote was:
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
And the CinW 1984 is just a pooh trap for heffalumps because it's semi-modernised trad language so thee/thou are out and we have spirit not ghost but other bits are straight 1662 BCP.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Firenze on the Inquire Within Question Thread:

If I catch any of you furgling a bogie, I'll mung your greebles quicker than you can say
'Gorsafawddachaidraigddanheddogleddollônpenrhynareur-draethceredigion'

Or "Golf Halt", as that particular railway station has now been renamed [Biased]

(to boldly go)

[ 19. January 2011, 14:53: Message edited by: Chorister ]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fineline in the Styx:
quote:
I think I had the opposite problem of seeing so many colourful warnings about hell that I built it up in my mind as some terrifying and confusing forbidden place, when in reality it's just where people vent their anger and insult people.
A most promising, relative newby. [Smile]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
lilBuddha on human-caused extinction, in Purgatory:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Where we were supposed to name all the animals but we just killed loads of them instead.

Well, makes naming them a bit easier.

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sine Nomine:

quote:
Some things are just convenient and accurate shorthand rather than a diabolical plot.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the Religionists thread in Hell.

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

We like, I daresay, to think of our lives as a sort of rational osmosis, in which we encounter and absorb experience, learn from it, know ourselves to be wiser, more knowledgeable, more mature. But it's not. It is more a series of delusions and catastrophes, infatuations, mistakes and wrong turnings punctuated with a lot of two-in-the-morning's How could I have been so stupid?

But you get through, and realise how much was of your own choice (though you may not have realised it at the time). And true enough, other people behaved badly - but what really rankles is that you were so gullible.

So what I am hearing is the not unfamiliar note of humiliating self-knowledge. My advice would be to embrace your inner (as you feel it be) fool, for, believe me, you have no other self.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, that there above was a deep insightful quote.

Here's mine:

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Part of incarnation was pooping. You can go see Jesus' Huggies in Dubrovnik if you'd like.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Wow, that there above was a deep insightful quote.

Here's mine:

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Part of incarnation was pooping. You can go see Jesus' Huggies in Dubrovnik if you'd like.

Nah, Mary was green. She used real nappies.

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

It doesn't really matter to whom Marvin was referring when he said:

He's a dumbshit one-note fart fairy

as the reference is quote-worthy all on its own!
(So much so that I was sorely tempted to set it to music....)

All together now: he's a dumbshit one-note fart fairy of Company B.

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seeker963 in the Modern-Day Sadducees thread:

quote:
I am a Pharisee. I am a Sadducee. I am a feminist, man-hating whore. I am a walrus. Whatever. Believe it or not, my faith was not designed to pull the rug out from under you. It's simply me trying to be a disciple of Christ.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This gem from FooloftheShip in Eccles:

Angels and ministers of grace save us from the mechanism of beelzebub that is the data projector.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Gamaliel:

quote:
Sure, you nail your colours to the mast, and that's no bad thing, but that's very different to hoisting the Jolly Roger which I feel you've done on this occasion.

Just [Killing me]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Wood on the 'Martin PC not' thread in Hell:

He's like James Joyce purchased from Aldi.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

I also like this one from LutheranChik (in praise of clergy spouses everywhere who keep the feet of their more heavenly-minded halves firmly on the ground):

our pastor tends to preach "until he's done," or at least until his spouse starts pointing at her watch and frowning

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Know your audience.

quote:
Originally posted by Think²:
In future, consider reading before posting - you may have noticed the OPer has disappeared and therefore you are casting your pearls before swine. Bored, angry, swine.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Survival dictates that modesty be damned in the Knockout Quiz:

quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
A gentleman never votes for himself. Therefore:

1. Hart...

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Plants grow, change, and mature, and they somehow manage to do it while rooted in one spot.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

ken shows solidarity with Martin PC Not:
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
I am Marticus!

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did the disciples make it all up? How might that have looked? St. Stephen the Stoned tells us most delightfully:

Scene: the squalid backroom of one of the disciples. Time: 2 days after the crucifixion. Jesus has been taken down from the cross and entombed. The disciples realise that their Lord is really dead.

Peter: What are we going to do now? This wasn't meant to happen. He was supposed to be rescued at the last minute.

Andrew: Yeah. God was supposed to send an army of angels to bring him down from that thing so we could give the Romans a bloody good smiting.

Others: Shhh! They're probably listening right now!

John: Alleluia!

Others: Eh?

John: Alleluia! He is risen!

Peter: What? What the knowing Sheol are you doing? Are you mad?

John: He is risen! I have seen Him!

Peter: Oh I see! (gestures to the others.) Alleluia! He is risen!

Andrew: Good one! Might work. Come on! Let's tough it out! Alleluia! Alleluia!

Mary Magdelen: I saw Him in the garden! I touched Him!

Peter: You would!

MM: No really, I did, I touched Him. Just there. Like that.

Andrew: Hang on! Waitabitwaitabitwaitabit! That's too glib. In 2000 years' time, who's going to believe it? We've got to add some inconsistencies. Come on guys, get creative!

MM: I saw Him in the garden... but I didn't recognise Him – I thought he was the gardener.

Clopas: Dad and me, we were on our way to...er...

Simeon: ...Emmaus...

Clopas: ...Emmaus, yeah, and we met this guy, right, and...

Simeon: ...and he talked to us all the way, but we didn't recognise..

Clopas: ...until he...

Simeon and Clopas (together) broke some bread!

Clopas: ...and then we knew...

Andrew: I gave him some fish...

Peter: ...and a honeycomb.

Andrew: What? Yeah, and a honeycomb. And he ate it all up.

Thomas: Just a minute – I'm trying to think...

John: Alleluia! He is risen!

All: He is risen indeed!

Peter: Right you lot! Out into the streets and spread the word! And don't forget the inconsistencies!

Exeunt omnes.

Thomas (off): Wait for me! Wait for me! What happened to the fish?

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rather surprised this isn't here already, TBH:

quote:
orginally posted by IngoB:
I'm not being flippant either. We all are lurching toward salvation like a bunch of zombies, propelled by who knows what... The Holy Spirit it may well be, but I think the truth for many of us is that we neither feel particularly holy nor act so - and yet somehow we put one decaying foot in front of the other. What we claim as motivation is often a skin-deep mixture of self-images and learned religious or secular ideals. Bullshit we mumble to explain to ourselves the very weird fact that we are still going that way.

What is however true - for me, sometimes - is me kneeling in front of an icon of the BVM and praying, feeling the fear being sucked out of my lungs. What is true is my life changing suddenly and coherently, speaking very insistently to me about certain things without a single sound. What is true is having looked inside, silently, deeply, and finding something that was not empty (sorry, Siddhartha) and not material (sorry, Dawkins) - nothing special though, just me. God, I fear, is far to near.

To get back to the OP: All this ranting is really like holding your nose at all those zombies lurching past. You know what? We already knew that we stink. Really. But some of us have been bitten in the ass by true religion, the mark of Abel. When you are bitten too, we'll see your rotten flesh moving our way, some way. Brother.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over here , Adeodatus recommends, however in passing, an excellent philosophical exercise:
quote:
St Paul asserts that the post-resurrection body is a "spiritual body". I guess modern folk, having been brought up on the mindset of Cartesian duality, imagine that means the resurrection body is all foofy and ghosty and not quite there. But if you ignore Descartes (which I try to do at least four times a day), there's no reason to suppose that a spiritual body is necessarily an un-physical one.
(emphasis mine)

[ 02. February 2011, 03:00: Message edited by: churchgeek ]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To quote a quoter:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Yeah. If I flush my wedding ring down a toilet, I'm sure as hell acting out a metaphore.

Just made me laugh.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spiffy, in Hell:

quote:
Swear to Jesus, it's like all the kids today think it's cool to be strutting around wearing their asshats like they were crowns of glory.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From LutheranChik (and if you know Lutherans, it's all the funnier):

quote:
Hurricanes, blizzards and now two Lutherans posting here about their numinous experiences, it must be the Apocalypse!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Hole in one from Wood:

quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
quote:
Originally posted by Chelley:
It seems to me that it's about trying to live out both 'loving God with heart, soul, mind and strength' and 'loving your neighbour as yourself' when some are most focused on the first to the detriment of the second and the other on the second to the detriment of the first.

You mean they're different?
[ [Big Grin] Lamb Chopped]

[ 06. February 2011, 02:36: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is from saysay in AS:

quote:
I have this sinking feeling that G-d wants me to do something but I'm very unclear as to what. I'd kind-of like to tell G-d to just go away and leave me alone, but that generally just makes him bug me more. Annoying deity, that one.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spiffy in Hell:
quote:
No, this acquaintance's stupid is all-natural, free range, 100% organic, no drugs or additional hormones added.
(Ha! Kelly, beat you this time!)

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

OK, you know how you hear a speech in a movie and you think "Oh, they totally shot that one for the Oscar reel." This next so screamed "Quotesfile me!" I was almost ashamed of myself for taking the bait. Almost.
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:

Part of my amusement ... has always been the assumption that he's posting whilst simultaneously sporting some rather fabulous head injury. Like, say, a scythe point protruding awkwardly from his left frontal lobe whilst the handle kinks over his right shoulder to lay along his (according to my vision) horrifically hunched back. The doctors all too baffled and frankly enthralled to try removing the thing, leaving the poor bastard with an improbable juxtaposition of gibberish and neuronic misfirings that happen to be in a lobe that generates a sense of certainty.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Martin PC Not:

quote:

I see NO theological necessity for Adam to be real or for the Flood to have happened as my alienation is mine. I couldn't care less how it happened, only that it is resolved in Christ Jesus, God becoming human.

However I do bow the knee to Eden, Adam and Eve and The Serpent being real. Just as Satan is now. It would be nothing for the Holy Spirit to preserve that truth through thousands of years of lost records.

Not that it matters. It does matter that any Christian says that it DOES one way or the other. The wooden and atheist materialist extremes that meet each other in being closed.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From up in the Styx. I must admit, I'm finding this hilarious mostly because I'm wading through a couple books on Talmud right now while reading through Matthew 5 in Lectionary Bible Study.

quote:
Originally posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege:
It strikes me that this thread is a really good example of how some people are driven (either by wiring or inclination) to nail down every point and possibility and the result is, for example, the Talmud and the Mishnah because the Ten Commandments weren't enough and the 613 specified laws aren't enough because you really need to know exactly where the line is, either so you don't cross it or so you can do pirouettes on the line while blowing razzberries at The Authority Figure.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB explains how the different branches of the church need to solve their differences (on the thread "A Radical Redefinition of Biblical Authority")
quote:
And that's the point where the Holy Spirit has to step into the game, or possibly a shotgun...

[ 10. February 2011, 08:53: Message edited by: Dal Segno ]

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
yellowroom in Purg:
quote:
...I wish you'd stop quoting me to make your point, it's making me want to disagree with myself.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PaulTH in the "Non-dualism" thread:

quote:
I believe that God can, and will love the hell out of us,

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Duchess extolling the ship:

quote:
And nowadays, I don't post so much. But it is rock steady. And kind of like the bar in Cheers, I have a stool with a dent in it, I pushed Norm off it.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great one from Earwig, on the 'Too Much Cake' thread:

quote:
'Cos, you know, the devil loves to attack people who serve coffee and cake.
Now we know what that fork is for!

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two corkers from the Losing God thread (Purgatory edition):

quote:
Originally posted by Fineline:
I find it's only when Christians can admit that they don't have all the right answers and that do make mistakes that I can see through them to God, if that makes sense. When they claim to represent God so completely then they completely obscure God - they get in the way.

quote:

I myself firmly believe that the awkward, tense feeling when you want to say something but just can't come up with the right stuff is the Holy Spirit slapping her beloved hand over your mouth before you say something really stupid.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Isaac David:
Postmodernism is probably just an intellectually respectable label for adolescent apathy experienced by adults....

--------------------

Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Ken in 'Denunciation from the pulpit' in Purgatory:
quote:
Bring on the day when the last jargon-sodden therapist is strangled with the pickled guts of the last "non-directive counsellor" and all of them buried under a pyre of rotting pages from self-help books amd tabloid newspapers and women's magazines full of crap popular psychology and pseudo-scientific healthcare lies.

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Birdseye in Purg:

quote:
Originally posted by Birdseye:
quote:
Yeah, go Google "Generational Curse Deliverance". Basically, it says all our problems are because our ancestors were Very Naughty and if we break these generational curses, we'll be filthy rich and successful
Ah, right I SEE:
"Fed up of carrying your cross?"
[Disappointed]
"Still washing your robes in the Blood of the Lamb?"
[Eek!]
"Tough on the stains of sin, tough on the causes of stains of sin: New Persil Automatic Prayer... who needs Atonement when you can realise your own Eschaton!"

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  57  58  59 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016