homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » SoF Quotes File (Page 39)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  57  58  59 

Source: (consider it) Thread: SoF Quotes File
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Proof that the "Let's Offend" thread and its variations just wait around for Smudgie to show up:

quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
You should be ashamed of yourself, setting standards beyond what poor Kelly and Weasel are able to achieve. Just because they are chronologically far far far beyond being pre-teens does not mean that their level of maturity has kept apace. We should not reprimand them, we should show them true Christian pity and help them make the tiny tiny steps which will slowly but surely bring them to a level of social acceptability, thus keeping Sylvander safe, not by apportioning blame, but by reducing risk.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zappa in the rubble of faith thread in AS:

quote:
Sure the Church lets me down. It's full of bastards, and has 2000 years of bastardry in its history. But I'm a bastard too. That's why I need Jesus. He isn't.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, you beat me to it, Wodders! But I would add:
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
I'm afraid I won't be helpful here ... but I have to be honest. I have, like others, clung on to or been clung onto by faith for three and a half decades now, ... I have no expectation that the Church is the Reign of God. The church always will and often has let me down, hurt me, whatever. So have rugby teams, drinking mates, political parties and novels.

But it is the place I am commanded to encounter the risen Christ. It is the place where the sacraments happen, where the Word is broken open, where koinonia occurs, even if sometimes more in the breech than the observance. I can see some reflections of God in creation (but as Wordsworth and Tennyson perhaps above all testify, that can bite one on the bum) but cannot reach out and receive God, digest God, argue God, be absolved by God, encounter crucified and resurrected God under my bhodi tree or on my cliff top.

I'm more of a cliff top person, myself, but even so.... [Overused]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If God put a thorn in my flesh, it really isn't necessary for my brothers and sisters in Christ to keep hammering it in. (Orfeo)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wise words from Chalice Girl (on not finding Mr. Right, but could equally apply to other things in life):
There's a kind of peace that comes with giving up and accepting things as they are.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
preach it, Spiffy.
quote:
The most difficult part of freedom of speech is not that you have every right to say whatever pops into your head, but you have to then acknowledge that the other people around you therefore have the right to explain at length and at high volume how damnfool stupid what just came out of your mouth is.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Timothy the Obscure:

quote:
The truth is that everything that makes life worth living--love, friendship, family, community, morality--is just grit in the gears of the market.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Honest Ron Bacardi on the Vatican cracks down on liberal nuns

quote:
Canard? More like a mallard imaginaire.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lutheranchick on election

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:

I really don't see, though, why PSA adherents all seem so angry about advocates of other theories or fence-sitters like Lutherans -- even, I'm told, trying to kick non-PSA Christians off the bus. Seriously, why the attitude? If TULIP is correct, then you're obviously in like Flynn with the Lord and the rest of us are toast; chill out and enjoy your election and leave us damned souls alone.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pretty much sums it up.

quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
What a colossal cunt.

No. He lacks depth and warmth.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You beat me to it, Spiffy! I think I might put that one on a post-it near my desk...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Way to go,Amos. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saved for personal use:

quote:
Dear sweet baby Jesus cuddled up in the Christmas crib
from Spiffy, on the "Depression: it's All Your Own Fault"* thread in Hell.

*Okay, that's not the title, but you know which one I mean.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kankucho:
Your assertion that workers in the horticultural distribution sector are somehow less worthy than effluent agitation operators indicates an offensive lack of solidarity, comrade!

I very much enjoyed this little offense-taking! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Otter:
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
O

I could tell you stories about O...

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Oh, isn't that the cutest little remark ever.

(Polishes it and puts it on curio shelf.)

Nice response to a trolling comment.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Big Grin]

Sometimes we archive snappy lines, sometimes we archive examples of moving, well-crafted, damn good writing:

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
At last time to think about this thread, this decade. It began when I was ten, ended when I was 20 (yeah, okay, give or take a few weeks). There's a nice symmetry there.

• I saw 1970 in asleep, but I had arrived in Christchurch (NZ) on New Year's Eve. So too had the bikie gang Highway 61. They smashed the town. I visited the cathedral (destroyed in last year's earthquake) and cut my foot badly on the broken glass they left behind.
  • The Beatles gave up on love, hated each other, and I discovered them. "When I find myself in times of trouble ..."
  • America sang a song about a nameless equine and Don McLean sang about the death of music - thereby resuscitating it.
  • I fell in love with a girl in the Partridge Family
  • By 1972 I was in love with love. I was learning to smoke, got confirmed because it was the mature thing to do in an anglican school, and became an increasingly polemical atheist.
  • In 1973 Lobo sang my song (I'd Love You to Want Me) and James B. stole the girl of my dreams. There was still no 'world' out there. I was at secondary (boarding) school, a real man. That was soon pummelled out of me. I longed to see, er, pubic changes but they would not come.
  • In 1974 I was smoking lots because I hated the school, hated the world, hated. Black Sabbath and Uriah Heap ... I was a cox and my voice finally agreed to break. My father died so I got a weekend off school.
  • 1975 - far off in a country called America a peanut farmer was president, Queen were singing about scarramoush, and I discovered a dude called Bob Dylan. I discovered alcohol, too.
  • 1976: Bruce Springsteen joined Bob Dylan and Neil Young as the singers of my angst. I discovered marijuana and believed that if the world smoked enough of it, listened to enough Dylan and Young, CSN & Y, Led Zepp and Brucey boy it would be redeemed. There was no God.
  • I was busted in a scandal revolving around the importaion of marijuana into my elite boarding school. There was not enough evidence to pin me down but most of my close friends were suspended or expelled. I was drinking, smoking, smoking pot - somehow I passed my University Entrance exams but i was fucked if I was ever going to go to one of those irrelevant institutions. I was full of anger and hatred - and wanted a girl but I looked about 13 and was no chick magnet.
  • somehow I was selected as a cox for a national rowing sqaud and for my school 1st VIII. We won the national championships, and when it was over I wondered what life meant - hero to zero we'd cliche these days. There was no God, I was a part of a national championship crew, but it was over. I thought about suicide but couldn't be buggered. For the first time I fell in love with a real girl, kissed and fondled, and she moved to a town a day's drive away. Bugger. But at least I had "had" love.
  • 1978. I left school, became a broadcasting cadet, drank lots, smoked lots of pot, longed for love, lived alone, rode motorbikes at suicidal speed ... and fucking disco hit the airwaves. late that year the friend with whom I had been importing dope to my school got on my motorbike in an alcoholic fog, rode off into the afternoon, and came back dead.
  • 1979. I gave up the fight, surrendered to God, became a Pentecostal ... got the girl and lost her. No sex of course ... but I was alive.
    The decade ended just as I busted up with her and slid into anglicanism ... I was at university and pretty much have been ever since (though I am no brighter)

I can't remember where I was the final night of that decade. In a prayer group perhaps. But I had found God and I have, despite some painful times, never been let go.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

I was going to post the snippet about how Zappa 'slid into Anglicanism' but it does sit better in the context of the whole post.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Drifting Star, on the joys of getting older:

quote:
I'm having the same experience with my hearing. I've discovered that where a word isn't clear, my brain submits its own suggestions. Turns out it's always wanted to live in a much more entertaining place than the real world that I've been inflicting on it.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Oh, isn't that the cutest little remark ever.

(Polishes it and puts it on curio shelf.)

Nice response to a trolling comment.
Yeah. I liked that one too. [Smile]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An old one by KenWritez (Hell: 4Sept06)

quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
Speaking as a bosom liberationist, I stand in solidarity with our oppressed sisters. For too long, womyn have been forced to bind, hide, squeeze, squash and compress their bosoms to fit puerile male fantasies and subconscious fears of the inherent power of the life-giving female breast.

I say, it's time to stop hiding the female bosom! Free it now, turn back centuries of masculine oppression! Wear only whatever support or decoration *you* as the bosom supporter freely decide is appropriate and comfortable!

Just as Jesus commanded us not to hide our lights under bushels, so too let us not hide the female bosom under concealing clothing! Womyn: Step forth proudly baring the bosom that nurtured a generation of empowered womyn determined to remake the face of male-dominated Western culture!

Show your bosom and strike a blow for freedom!

To which Ariel responded:

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
(Trans.: get yer tits out for the lads)

[Killing me]

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Hell, on the 'I'd call you to Hell if I could be bothered thread'.

Originally posted by Padre Joshua:
I am Angered and Offended by your comment. I demand an apology. I shall now stamp my foot and cross my arms and glare at you until you explain yourself.

To which Ariston Aranuax replies:

Dear Sir:
There is a thread in the Circus for being offended for no good reason. This is Hell. If you're going to be hacked off, pissy, or even mildly irked, we'd suggest knowing why.
Sincerely,
Somewhere Else's Management.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Padre J.: just shows how late you USians are to the party. The right to take one's shirt off in public has been established (for both sexes) in Canadian law for quite a few years now.

Not that we have the climate which would make this particularly comfortable, mind you!

And, as the comment implies, why would anyone want to in our present society?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From a Hell thread on guns (and violence)- Comet lays it out:

quote:
Originally posted by comet:

and what I see - the sum total of those branded images and memories - is a culture of violence and dysfunction and pain that is not being addressed. I dont see the gun, or the car, or the knives, or the fists. I don't even see the alcohol or the drugs. I see broken hearts.

I want us to remove the butter knives, yes, to paraphrase a brilliant moment from Patdys on another thread. But more, I want to find a way to reach the broken hearts. I want children to grow up feeling loved and not feeling desperate. I WANT TO FIX THIS but I don't know how.

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

This is about the Shippiest comment I have ever read on these boards:

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

I've skimmed through the older thread and it's given me a lot of food for thought (mostly that I'm a dummy in these matters), but I hope that a new, possibly simpler one may be in order (one major headache in the old one is "MT" being used interchangeably for "Mousethief", "Mama Thomas" and "Masoretic Text" by the protagonists...).

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Kaplan Corday, with one of the best replies on being called to Hell that I've seen for a long time:

I don't think Evensong appreciates how exhausting it is being an Islamophobic adulterer, spending my whole time trying to fit in blowing up Muslims between affairs with other men's wives - I don't get time to scratch myself.

--------------------

Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sober Preacher's Kid reflects in Purgatory on the laity's grasp of doctrine.

Really, if you said "consubstantial" to most people they'd reply "Gesundheit".

Yep!

--------------------
How do you know when a politician is lying?
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Archived by Facebook request:

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
...and Google is too difficult for you to use, you lazy howler monkey made entirely of Issues™.

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Since my retirement from Hellhosting, I've simplified my business model from volume to artisanal hand-crafted insults for special occasions.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

A wonderful quote from Boogie's son:

I remember one day I was in the bath and my 4 year old came in for a wee and said "Mummy, you have no willy?" I said "No love, girls and ladies don't have them" He replied "Never mind, I buy you one from Tesco"

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Snigger] Excellent kid.

--------------------

Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pyx_e on the The Voice thread in Purg:

quote:
The Parousia will not be televised.
The Parousia will be live (apols to Gil Scott-Heron)

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Recent recruit Mark Betts to Marvin, in Hell, having been gently taken to task for excessive use of links:

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
quote:
You thought wrong.

Oh, I'm terribly sorry, I didn't realise YOU ran this forum! (+ pinch of sarcasm for added flavour)
Marvin's response :
quote:
[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

I do actually. This board, at any rate. Which means that I get to decide what's appropriate and what's not. Suck it up, fuckwit.

Marvin seems very mellow at the moment!
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Recent recruit the long ranger, to recent recruit Mark Betts. Who it was directed to and what the thread (tangent) was about is not important, but it was a beautifully written retort that drove me here I think for the first time to record it for posterity:
quote:
You, Sir, are a prick. In fact, if a prick was to spend time trying to formulate a general definition of what a prick was, he would be describing you. You are the archetypical prick. If prickiness was a stick of rock, your name would run through it.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Isn't this cute.

quote:
Originally posted by Mockingale:
quote:
Originally posted by no_prophet:
We're there already. But we really to properly insult one another before the hosts close the thread. [Big Grin]

So:
Go suck farts out of a dead moose!

Your dog wears second-hand mumus.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
Interesting though that 'fucktard' and rusty augers and even howling monkey insults can be thrown around pretty much with impunity but a comment from Jane Austen really gets people upset.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(cough)

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I admit I have an ideological bias but OH, SNAP!

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
...but, I think the main purpose of the topic is womens' ordination concerning the Eucharist - though others would say it concerns preaching (I know!)

Just out of curiosity, which part of the Eucharist is performed with the penis? It seems to be a critical requirement, but I've never had anyone explain why.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OMG! ROTFLMFAO! Beautifully done Croesos. Terrific catch, Kelly.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What should an Anglican priest wear to an intedenominational event?

quote:
Originally posted by PD:
1. Street Clericals.

2. Your "Die heretic scum!" tee-shirt.

Just kidding with #2.

PD

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Yes, of course, because he stands up and defends the christian faith he must be a bigot.

Defending cultural churcianity and established religion is not the same thing as defending the Christian faith.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Irony does not mean 'a bit like an iron' [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Joan Rasch
Shipmate
# 49

- Posted      Profile for Joan Rasch   Email Joan Rasch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve H:
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
Does ken's church hold Anglican 'masses'? [Big Grin]

Only if some Higgs Bosons are present. You can't have mass without them.
Prime example of *Good* geek humo(u)r.

cheers from Boston - Joan

--------------------
* A cyclist on the information bikepath

Posts: 509 | From: Boston, MA USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Someone lights a small candle in the bowels of Hell:

quote:
Let's all just do everybody a favour, and acknowledge that there is no absolute answer to the question of how individuals should face the suffering they are personally responsible for. Few of us are stupid enough and heartless enough to force suffering unnecessarily to our kith and kin, but too many of us are willing to assert such ideas on everyone else. And until we all become mindless meat manipulators of the internet eschaton we still have a modicum of free will which is the most apposite mechanism for deciding matters of our own personal suffering,

And, while we're at it, perhaps forgive those health care professionals who suffer a bias of only getting to see those who suffer most.

[ 28. May 2012, 06:17: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

The imagery in this just totally cracked me up.

Pete welcoming a noob that said he was an atheist and was a little worried about coming on board.

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
We love atheists. We make their heads explode. [Big Grin]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Josephine's whole post is pretty fine, but this is the part I might write out and stick up somewhere visible in my home:

quote:
When you feel like you're right and everyone else is wrong, watch where you step. Having all knowledge is not worth much without love. And love is desperately hard work.

[ 02. June 2012, 19:00: Message edited by: Zoey ]

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:
Serene? The Circus? This isn't Ecclesiantics, and the Circus rats aren't tat queens who play vestment Mad Libs

Circus rats! Oh, yes!!

--------------------
How do you know when a politician is lying?
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
As for circumcision, well, that's no skin off my nose ...

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

A pleasing recap of the Queen's Jubilee:

quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
It was cold. It rained. Everyone got wet. The choir also got wet. They sang anyway. This is England.

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This was originally in the context of the evolution of Eucharistic doctrine, but I think it works more generally (and so have clipped it to its most general form).

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
... if the Holy Spirit is always present in the church, then the Church is always continually discerning new truths along the way. Scripture is not a strait jacket, it was never meant to restrict the Church in its ability to determine doctrine.

[Overused]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  57  58  59 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016