homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » SoF Quotes File (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  57  58  59 

Source: (consider it) Thread: SoF Quotes File
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kenwrotez*:

quote:
BTW, I do a pulled pork BBQ so good it'll make a bishop kick a hole in a stained glass window.

*Thank you, Mad Geo

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly Alves wrote:
quote:
My guardian angels must hate their jobs sometimes.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

- Posted      Profile for Niënna   Email Niënna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tomb in hell:
quote:
Oh, I know all right. It's when you eschew the participal for the rhetorical flick-of-the knife that is the gerund that you feel, deep down, that you have arrived, grammatically.

--------------------
[Nino points a gun at Chiki]
Nino: Now... tell me. Who started the war?
Chiki: [long pause] We did.
~No Man's Land

Posts: 2298 | From: Purgatory | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AdamPater, in a very silly moment:
quote:
There's a cloud outside. I hate that.

At least there's always a rainbow within.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shareman, on a Hell thread:
quote:
[He] made the Baby Jesus cry, and it woke me up, so I was pissed off.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Nobody does it like RooK:

quote:
You lot have all the self control of a lonely dog with peanut butter on its penis.

--------------------

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pyx_e: "The cross will bite them all on the ass at some point."

If ever I move to England, I want him as pastor.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
People with interregnums (cough, cough) please note - if you invite Pyx_e to be your new vicar you might end up being saddled with Kenwritez as well..... [Biased]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Luckily, I'm the same IRL as I am on the board.)For those clergy trying to increase membership, I can walk into the church and instantly double the size of the congregation.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading this thread made me sorry that I never maintained a quotes file of my own - I've often laughed aloud at many Ship discussions.

This quote is "ancient" but so hilarious that I've never forgotten. It was on a thread in Mystery Worship about vestments, where someone asked the use for a maniple.

Joan the Dwarf replied that it was "to flick the crumbs away while saying, 'if Jesus can get in, then he can get out.'"

I also well recall dyfrig's telling a heated Ship mate "I think Erin is an insane bitch, but I shall happily watch while she eats you."

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oh, an Erinism from years past, aimed at Intellect By Proxy, if I remember correctly:

"I can't do it. I can't flame a guy who publically admits he's got a tiny talliwhacker."

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by vascopyjama:
Well that's me in a nutshell. (I wonder if Julian of Norwich ever said that??)

--------------------

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Triple Tiara ('valid form of bigotry' thread in Hell)"

quote:
Quod scripsi scripsi , or, since i am a fuckwit, quod fuxi fuxi

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

IngoB on a current Hell thread:

Andreas, my link wasn't about giving you an opportunity to strut your philosophical and intellectual credentials. It was about demonstrating to you the sort of suffering you inflict on others. If you enjoyed that text, it has mainfestly failed its purpose.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From RooK, apon closing the TICTH thread. ( [Waterworks] )

Thread closed. Please don't start another one of these for a little while, lest I feel compelled to hunt you down and force feed you live porcupines through your eyeballs

kinda makes you think twice before arguing.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

Firenze, replying to a post (Teenage Embarrassment, Heaven) about Duck's mother placing a condom on a bicycle pump:

quote:
How can I break it to you? This doesn't stop babies.

Unless, of course, it is some sort of primitive marital aid. When I were a lad, we didn't have no Ann Summers shops doing they crotchless panties and vibrating thingies. We 'ad to make do with a pound of tripe and a bicycle pump.

[Killing me]

I must say, reading through this thread (and so wishing I'd kept a file!), of those immortalised here the absolute best has to be Duo Seraphim's retort about how Martin's posts shall be revealed as a code regarding a secret of Fatima. But I also shall remember 'quod fuxi, fuxi' till my dying day.
[Killing me]

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I look forward to the publication of your book of quotable quotes, with suitable attribution of course! [Two face]

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Ok, not a ship quote, but excellent sig potential:

quote:
I'm going to Hell because I'm a fuck up.
--some guy Kelly interns with, after he fucked up.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a ship quote but from the sermon today.

"When you're up to your tucus in cobras, you don't really have time to indulge in hermeneutical reflection."

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

Though I prefer to stay with Ship quotes, since the last two were not, I'll feel free to insert a 'non Ship' one (though it might not have the full impact for the young members as it would for those of my generation.)

This from a friend from Kerry (and uttered completely seriously) :

quote:
It's not easy being Irish, Elizabeth. I'm afraid I'm going to go to hell, and I don't even believe in God.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

A year or so ago, one Ship mate (troll) was rambling a good deal, justifying everything on the basis of that he'd been a Roman priest, worked in the Vatican's congregation for the doctrine of the faith, then left to pursue this, this, and this...

I'm not positive, but I think it was Ian who made this response that made me fall off my chair. When said troll rambled, a bit incoherently, about a doctrine he'd misunderstood (or words to that effect), Ian responded: "It is a shame you did not ask Cardinal Ratzinger about that when you were still working at the Vatican."

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Spiffy, on "how do you pray?"

quote:
"Fer crying out loud! Jesus, I can tell you're an only child, you're always bothering me until you get your own way!"

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From RuthW down in Hell:

quote:
US politics is a vile, nasty contest between two groups of wealthy, over-privileged people about whether the rest of us will be ground to a pulp beneath a jackboot or a hiking boot.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

From Janine in All Saints:

quote:
English is like Jazz. You don't have to know all the details of the Correct Classical Way to improvise a really good riff.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From AdamPater:

quote:
Did Jesus say anything about handling willies anywhere though? Apart from loving your neighbour as you love yourself, of course.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Whether or not the target deserved this, what a great line from Josephine:

quote:
But parking a bicycle in on the floor a Ferari dealership would hardly make the bicycle a Ferari, now would it?

Didn't think so.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do think we should imortalise

quote:
DORK in a rose unitard
from Merteger's interpretative dance in hell. The whole post is a classic - but this is also the perfect insult.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Kelly Alves in the Circus:
quote:
In Jesus's eyes we are all Gina Lolabrigida.
Italian beauties. Every durn one of us.

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I'll probably spend a substantial amount of time in Purgatory for finding this funny, but here you go, from Zappa:
quote:
Boy, does the baby Jesus Cry. And his daddy-o. And Spook.

--------------------

Linguo

Ship's grammar robot
# 7220

- Posted      Profile for Linguo   Email Linguo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Karl: Liberal Backslider, in the 'Too busy to church?' Purg thread:

quote:
Of course, some broken people prefer not to shout "I'm broken" in front of other people they don't know well, who may appear to resemble rather closely the people who broke them in the first place.

Posts: 997 | From: around and about the place | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I'll probably spend a substantial amount of time in Purgatory for finding this funny, but here you go, from Zappa:
quote:
Boy, does the baby Jesus Cry. And his daddy-o. And Spook.

Right there with you, Kelly...

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
sparkly_h
Shipmate
# 7997

- Posted      Profile for sparkly_h   Email sparkly_h   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doc Tor wrote in hell:

quote:
Do you actually read for comprehension or does the little god in your head just make up the answers for you?

Posts: 158 | From: Chichester | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like this one from AF Steve (Heaven; whoever thought of that?)

Mushrooms. "Hey ma, there's some strange things growing on this turd over here. What should I do?" "Why Jr, Just pluck them and I'll add them to my beef roast!"

Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The sacred feminine (Moo)

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Big Grin] That would be Famous Last Posts, darlin'.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

This is as nice a synopsis of the human condition as I'v eseen in a long time-- from Lyda Rose--
quote:
I think various things happen to people who were scapegoats or scapegoaters in childhood. Some get the "I'm a goat" sign stuck on their back, and unhappily figure that that's life, while some scapegoaters figure putting people down in a great life strategy and live boring, rotten little lives. Others grow up to stick a sign on the front of their shirts that says, "I'm a goat. Fuck you boring sheep." Some of the scapegoaters grow up to think, "Hell. I can't believe I wasted my time on the sheep." I tend to look for people of these two positions now that I've socialized myself out of being goat or scapegoater. And as many of us have, I've been both to a certain degree.

--------------------

Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

- Posted      Profile for Niënna   Email Niënna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooh! I was just about post the same one.

Brilliant, Lyda*Rose!

--------------------
[Nino points a gun at Chiki]
Nino: Now... tell me. Who started the war?
Chiki: [long pause] We did.
~No Man's Land

Posts: 2298 | From: Purgatory | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

The two most frustrating things about Pyx_e is (1.) he's married and (2.) he's not my pastor.

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:(in reference to the implications of a Chocolate Crucifix)
If it were made out of Fruit & Nut chocolate it would be a perfect representation of the Body of Christ.

P

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly is so right about RooK. As his "gift" to Max/103 for his reception, this from the Hell file is worth preserving.

quote:
Oh please. Max./103/Henrietta so squats when she pees.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Daisymae on the Da Vinci Code board, in the Mary Magdalene thread.
quote:
Right through history, there are many women who have been real human beings.
Heh.
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And how about this rueful bit of self-awareness from SteveTom, on the Kerygmania thread on the New Testament, when he got support for a self-proclaimed "health-warning-necessary" minority view.

quote:
Even when I'm warning people that I'm talking rubbish, I'm talking rubbish.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

A good day for memorable quotes - here's a beauty from Leetle Masha, in honour of her much beloved and respected spiritual director. At the end of a post on the Catholic Liturgiolatry thread

quote:
Leetle M.
Whose spiritual father of eternal memory said once, "We don't need no steenkin' High Church...we are all High Church and when we get to heaven, we shall be Higher Still."

--------------------

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From one of the Ship Goddesses:

quote:
Presleyterian:
Getting a bauble is nice. Knowing one can get get oneself whatever baubles one wants is much, much nicer.

[Overused]
Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

I swear to God, one of these days there's going to be a "365 Days of Spiffy" calendar, because the girl posts so many brilliant quotable quotes. Today's beauty is:

quote:
Hippie, for those who have never encountered the scent, smells like sandalwood and ass.
--Mamacita, from the hippie era, but smelling nicer.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Back again. This one from Presleyterian, in Hell:

quote:
Because if someone professes to believe in the incarnation, crucifixion, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, you pretty much ought to accept them as brothers and sisters in Christ and leave the actual act of discerning and judging their faith to God.
Damn, that's good.

--------------------

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

On the Heaven thread about books, there were two delicious comments related to James Joyce's Ulysses.

In response to Angelica's question of "is there any point to Ulysses at all?," I loved Dubitante's

Any point to 'Ulysses'? Of course, it's to show off about when you're an English undergraduate. "You know, I so get that book..."

Better still, when Karl mentioned "Ulysses, which is like reading a Swahili phone book for all the sense I can make of it," I laughed aloud at Steve R's "That's quite unfair to the Swahili phone book."

I agree with Kelly that Pyx_e's comment about fruit and nuts was a gem!

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

The thread in Heaven about books is just too delightful... And this exchange is certainly worthy of preservation for posterity.

Rainbow Kate:
D.H. Lawrence and James Joyce both seem so utterly wrapped up in their own sexually repressed narcissism that I wanted to vomit. They'd both have been better off getting laid more often and writing a damn sight less.

Comet Chaser's response:
Wouldn't we all?

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the Heaven thread on Marriage and Babies,
posted by Always Waiting:

Ah, the shelf. It has hovered in front of me for some years now. Not so much immediately threatening as looming in the not-so-distant future, like a very large mountain at the end of a long, flat road. I can see it coming. It seems to be aiming for me.

My only consolation is that, by the sounds of it, there are several of us up there, so we can have a few drinks and a good time, and end up throwing things off the shelf onto the heads of the couples on the dance floor below us.

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the Doctor Who thread in Heaven, from Callan:

-----------------

Honestly, he's supposed to be an enigmatic wanderer in space and time who fights evil, not a taxi service for amoral narcissists.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the demons thread, by Jerry Boam, regarding people who misclassify epilepsy as demon possession:

quote:
In terms that such persons might understand: you are afflicted by a spirit of stupidity and a spirit of cruelty. Go look in the mirror and rebuke what you see.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  57  58  59 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016