homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » SoF Quotes File (Page 44)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  ...  57  58  59 

Source: (consider it) Thread: SoF Quotes File
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Yup.

To me, it's up to people who hate dogpiles to suck it up, be brave, and express your opinions. Suggestion: Show me, don't tell me. Have something more substantial to say than "You guys are vicious" or "This looks like a dogpile."

SO: Hellcaller "Kelly, your constant defense of the use of teabags tells me you are a knuckle dragging sloth who should be institutionalized for the benefit of the human race.Your mother must be ashamed of having given birth to you. Your cat wears combat boots."

(Crazy-ass pile-on ensues. People are obviously trying to top each other.)

(Wrong way)Protester: "You guys are getting out of hand.Don't be so mean." (Wrong way)

(Right way)Protester: "OPer, how in the hell exactly does it break your ass if Kelly uses teabags? Does she sneak into your house at night and stuff your loose Earl Grey into tiny little silk sacks? Honestly, your frothing rage about the issue suggests a pitiable level of fragility."

Good advice, self-deprecating in a good way, and funny to boot. How could it not be quote-worthy.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I figured the only sure way not to piss anyone off was to use my own name. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
claret10

Ship's Paranoid Android
# 16341

- Posted      Profile for claret10   Email claret10   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thought this a great definition and needs preserving. (well it made me smile on a grey day)
quote:
Alienfromzog in hell:

*Definition of 'Pseudo-Troll' from the ZED
quote:

Pseudo-Troll n. A pseudo-troll is one who displays troll-like posting but unlike the true-troll lacks the wit and insight to realise how provocative their posts are. Whilst a true-troll will post in order to generate responses for their own entertainment, a pseudo-troll seems to actually believe their ridiculous pronouncements.

The main danger of the pseudo-troll is that the correct response is unclear. Everyone knows that starvation is the way to treat a true-troll as in the great maxim Don't feed the troll - indeed in the Good Old Days™ feeding a troll would usually result in an Alligator bite to one's legs. It seems a pseudo-troll needs to be slapped down to stop them spreading their misinformed views.

--------------------
Just when you think life can't possibly get any worse it suddenly does

Posts: 137 | From: Somewhere, nowhere, anywhere | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pyx_e in Hell:

"TICTH Churchmanship. I am sick of it. All this endless petty meandering, wittering and pontificating about evangelicals, Catholics, liberals, post modern liberals, orthodox, atheists, Anglicans and whatever flavour is floating your boat this year. It absolutely makes me puke. Do you think there is one little part of God’s eternal kingdom where He gives a monkeys about what camp you want to belonging.

Can you not see that all you are doing is creating a boundary to keep you safe that does the exact opposite. You create these walls of Jericho not to worship God better or draw closer to Him but to create a safe little territory and a safe little God. You neuter Aslan, put a little collar around his neck with a bell on it and hope to Allah he never Roars.

I’m not saying that whatever you are is a bad thing (in my instance liberal Anglo-Catholic with charismatic leanings). I’m just saying that to pretend it is the ONLY thing, or pretend that it is enough, is a type of wilful spiritual blindness that speaks little of your or mine baptismal and conformational promises. We bleat on about loving the Lord our God yet we are little more than moths round aflame. Pretending that we are holy because we can see the light (whilst never letting it refine us) and that the candle we orbit with such ferocity is the only candle.

Your crushing desire to be right makes you wrong. It is not wrong to know what you like and worship God in a way that suits you psychologically, emotionally and spiritually but please can we stop pretending that just because what you do is good there is not more which could make your relationship with God better. I’m not asking you to give up what you are (in fact I’m asking you to celebrate more fully what you are in your community) but I am asking for a degree of willingness to grow and change, to know the limitations of where you find yourself, to stop criticising others who do it differently and to recognise that the kingdom is near and may actually be found not in doing what you have done for the last 20 years or in adhering to petty and unfulfilling labels.

In the end churchmanship, is in my opinion, barely helpful and in pretty much every instance I have ever come across wicked. It labels, categorises and stigmatises. A high tower to throw rocks from, screw that.

Fly Safe Pyx_e"

If the ABC-designate is reading, I reckon that's better advice than he'll hear from many quarters.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not for the first time, I find myself wishing Pyx_e was my parish priest.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mary LA
Shipmate
# 17040

- Posted      Profile for Mary LA   Author's homepage   Email Mary LA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too. A magnificent rant.

--------------------
“I often wonder if we were all characters in one of God's dreams.”
― Muriel Spark

Posts: 499 | From: Africa | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This just tickled my newfound ecclesiantickle (hahaha) fancy.Fron Somerset newbie latecomer:

quote:
This month's family service falls on our patronal festival - St Catherine of Alexandria. Does anyone have any good resources to help make St C a suitable subject for very young children? I'm not sure torture and mystical marriage will work too well!

[ 12. November 2012, 07:19: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Pyx_e in Hell:

"TICTH Churchmanship.
Fly Safe Pyx_e"

[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

As St Adrian of Plass put it, demoninations is an anagram of Not Made in Sion.

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AFZ - I love demoninations - I hope you don't mind if I use it in future but possibly written as demon-inations.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by birdie:

Be careful what you wish for.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Peace be unto you all, and let life commence.
Kelly Alves Admin

It's remarkable how little some people learn, even our saintly admins!

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure quite what you meant by that, Fool of the Ship, but hope you weren't being derogatory.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by birdie:

Be careful what you wish for.
Oh, I am.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doublethink on the Eccles Fresh Expressions thread, for this perfect advanced exemplar of the fine art of passive aggression:

quote:
I love being ignored, it gives me a warm fluffy feeling all over.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank Firenze for an intriguing use of initial letters:

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by jedijudy:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Firenze:
Bit stymied by the lack of any herb or spice beginning in 'u'.

One could use Una de Gato (a/k/a Cat's Claw) in the 'U' position!

Fennel seed, cumin, kalonji, oregano and a couple of jars of fenugreek it is then.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piss-taking can be so much more brutal that ranting.

Exhibit A:

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
TAXKCDFT:

http://xkcd.com/481/

[EDIT: For those who are not mindreaders, Karl is helpfully providing you with a link to an item from the webcomic called XKCD, which is suggesting that people don't pay attention to the content of their Youtube comments. We are still researching what on earth the first 8 letters of this post are supposed to convey, but we provide you with this helpful editorial so that you know that Karl's account has not in fact been taken over by a spambot.]

[orfeo applied the Edit on Karl's post.]

[ 20. November 2012, 06:49: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hatless:
If it was just environment and natural selection I think we would see forms intermediate between a kittiwake and a blackbird, but we don't. There are gulls and there are thrushes. It looks to me as if the genotypes struggle to come up with variation. Gulls seem to be stuck with being large, white and grey, and eating fish and chips.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
I know this is possibly something of a tangent, but it's in the same vein....
Every RC shack here wheels out red for Christmas Eve and Christmas day. I've never quite understood it and when I asked about it I was told it was to do with the blood of the martyrs which to be honest, confused me even more! Can anyone enlighten me?

That was the after the fact pious reasoning. The real reason is to look like Father Christmas.
It's not often something in Ecclesiantics will make me laugh out loud, but this exchange between fletcher christian and Karl: Liberal Backslider gave me a good dose of seasonal cheer.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Piss-taking can be so much more brutal that ranting.

Exhibit A:

quote:
TAXKCDFT:

http://xkcd.com/481/

[EDIT: For those who are not mindreaders, Karl is helpfully providing you with a link to an item from the webcomic called XKCD, which is suggesting that people don't pay attention to the content of their Youtube comments. We are still researching what on earth the first 8 letters of this post are supposed to convey, but we provide you with this helpful editorial so that you know that Karl's account has not in fact been taken over by a spambot.]

[orfeo applied the Edit on Karl's post.]
I had laboured under the misapprehension that There's An XKCD For That had entered the mainstream.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I had laboured under the misapprehension that There's An XKCD For That had entered the mainstream.

You have revealed your Dorkitude. When they come for you, they shall cut your internet access first. Be Warned.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

You have revealed your Dorkitude. When they come for you, they shall cut your internet access first. Be Warned.
And when they come for us we will all point them toward you.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Karl just became eversomuch more awesome in my eyes just now.

(AHEM!) back to Quotes!

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by Ken

quote:
Leo - who is a as liberal as a wet blanket in a handcrafted macrame washing basket in the moderately syncretic self-criticism wing of the National Liberal Moderate's Club's annual trip to Somewhere Nice in the Middle of the Road

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

The reason for the season:

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
On the first day of Christmas
My true love sent to me
One giant sluuuuuuug

On the second day of Christmas
my true love sent to me
Two Spanish language courses
And a giant slug

On the third day of Christmas
My true love sent to me
Three pieces of liquorice
And a giant slug

On the fourth day of Christmas
My true love was arrested
He got four policemen
Three restraining orders
Two ASBOs and a curfew
And I returned
Three pieces of liquorice
And a giant sluuuuuug.

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
posted by Spigot:

quote:

Personally I hate Christmas and ignore it as much as possible.

{much smoke invades the board}
Three ghosts shall haunt you this night Mr Scroo...I mean Mr Spigot. The first will be the ghost of cultural relevance whom you may try to escape, but resistance is futile. The second will be the ghost of the merry Christian who will sing carols as you burn him and who will churn your stomach with a gut wrenching nausea as he gives his final rendition of 'Away In A Manger'. The final visitation shall be worse than the last (recall someone else saying that once) and the ghost of what every atheist knows will come to tell you life is short my friend - better just get on with letting the elves and fairies sprinkle glitter in your hair and think warm and fluffy things before you go out with a bang. Otherwise you might miss stuffing your face and all those parties, and who could resist a little light in these dark days?
{much noise of snapping crackers and that gawd awful Slade tune}

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
If penis-having is the critical component to priesthood, why not whip out the Holy Wang during services? You know, to more accurately symbolize and represent the maleness of God.

[Smile] [Overused]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seconded, Boogie.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

HOLY SHIT! Score, Boogie! [Overused]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I am really digging Louise's sig:

quote:

"Making misogyny unacceptable is important because it's entry level human decency" - Commenter on computer gaming thread

I posted it as my facebook status-- with references-- because this one really needs to go viral.

[ 27. November 2012, 22:54: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
HOLY SHIT! Score, Boogie! [Overused]

Perhaps I'm digressing from quotes, but is that how to score? Bloody hell ... can I flop the digit on Sunday?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

The score I was referring to was Boogie catching a great quote. Having said that, I firmly believe in a minister following the lead of the Spirit in such matters--propriety be damned.

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, but what state should the appendage be in at that moment? Eager anticipation or mere apathy?

Should it be dressed for the occasion? Do any ribbons or other appurtenances have to be in seasonal colours?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

HEAVEN.

Back to quotes, people!

(Sorry, Circus Hosts. [Hot and Hormonal] )

[ 28. November 2012, 17:39: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
a quote from Horseman Bree:
Ah, but what state should the appendage be in at that moment? Eager anticipation or mere apathy?

Should it be dressed for the occasion? Do any ribbons or other appurtenances have to be in seasonal colours?

[Killing me] [Snigger]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
HEAVEN.

Back to quotes, people!

(Sorry, Circus Hosts. [Hot and Hormonal] )

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Ducks in The Nile

The scene: a conference room overlooking the Nile (a river in Egypt). The MANAGER is standing near an easel with a board on it. A cloth is covering the board. Several members of a work crew are entering the room.

MANAGER: Come in, come in. Take a seat.
The crew get themselves settled

MANAGER: Right, thanks for coming everyone. Now, as you know, it’s been our tradition in this town for many, many years to place a giant replica of a duck in the Nile at this time of year. It’s a longstanding Egyptian tradition.

Heads nod.

MANAGER: However, the nature of our town is changing. We are now a multicultural society. And the management committee has felt that we need to reflect that, and recognize that there are other sorts of birds that have meaning for other cultures around us.

The MANAGER consults his notes.

MANAGER: The Nubians are very fond of parrots. The Sumerians have a special association with hawks. The Libyans who’ve come here liked the duck thing, and have adopted some of the ideas but they use a chicken instead. And some of our immigrants from further afield have a festival at this time of year that involves a bird called a… penguin. Yes, a penguin.

The MANAGER looks very satisfied with himself for understanding what a penguin is.

MANAGER: So, the management committee has decided that we are going to be more inclusive, and from now on we will put a non-specific bird in the river, so as not to alienate those members of our community for whom an emphasis on ducks might be offensive. I’ve asked you here to show you the design for this year’s bird.

The MANAGER removes the cloth from the board. There is a second of silence, and then a CREWMAN speaks up.

CREWMAN: It’s a duck.

MANAGER: It’s a bird.

CREWMAN: It’s a duck.

MANAGER: It’s a bird.

CREWMAN: I can see it’s a bird. I can even tell you what kind of bird it is. A duck.

MANAGER: It is not a duck. The management committee were quite clear in their decision that it would be inappropriate to continue to put a duck on the Nile, so we are having a bird instead.

CREWMAN: Then why does it look exactly like a duck?

MANAGER: What? No it doesn’t! It’s clearly a bird. Look, there’s the wings, the legs… everything you’d expect to find on a bird.

CREWMAN: It looks exactly the same as last year’s duck design.

MANAGER: Yes, okay, to a layman I suppose there’s a certain resemblance…

CREWMAN: It’s identical.

MANAGER: …but let me be clear about this. This is a non-specific bird. It represents all the different kinds of birds. Parrots and hawks and chickens and penguins.

CREWMAN: It doesn’t look anything like a parrot.

MANAGER: It’s got wings, hasn’t it?

CREWMAN: That doesn’t make it a parrot.

MANAGER: It’s not supposed to BE a parrot. It’s supposed to be a bird. One that all bird lovers can appreciate and enjoy. We’re trying to update our traditions.

CREWMAN: Then why did you stick with a duck?

MANAGER: You cannot call it a duck! It’s very important we don’t call it a duck! You might offend people who aren’t into ducks!

CREWMAN: Won’t they be more offended that you think they’re stupid enough to not realize it’s a duck?

MANAGER: IT’S NOT A DUCK!

CREWMAN: It certainly looks like one.

MANAGER: NO IT DOESN’T! IT LOOKS LIKE A BIRD!! ANY RESEMBLANCE TO A DUCK IS JUST A COINCIDENCE!! WE ARE NOT PUTTING A DUCK IN THE NILE!!

Lights.

[Big Grin] [Overused]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When someone can take not one, but... golly, about three references - to its own thread, and the thread on an entirely different board that it span off from, and popular culture - and wrap it all in a one-liner, it needs preserving.

So hats off for the genius of this effort from The Machine Elf. Linked for context (as the context is important), but reproduced below as well:

quote:
Originally posted by The Machine Elf:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

Here is a color scheme that expresses both the richness of our christian heritage and the Joy of the Lord as expressed in sheer gratitude for color.

And you notice there is a shepherdess watching her flocks by night...
Not with a wang but a wimple.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mudfrog, answering "Who is bigger, Jesus or God?" here, spotted whilst I lurked about in Purgatory being too frivolous to post:
quote:
Tell him that God is so big that Jesus is God made little so we can see him

Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Oh yes, I'm glad someone decided to preserve that one. A moment of Mudfrog brilliance.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

From RuthW:

quote:
Just because you have your panties in a twist doesn't mean you're being bullied.

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thankyou.

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Hi!

Fun fact: I've never actually been called to Hell before!
I suppose that for the longest time it hardly seemed necessary since I essentially lived here. It has always felt like something I had missed out on. Honestly, there might be tears.

So, Kelly: Fun fact #2 is that I'm also a weeper. Over stupid shit too; I bawled my eyes out when the Enterprise blew up in The Search For Spock. Actually, it's possible that my tendency to tear up, and others finding that amusing during my formative years, is a contributing factor to my general hatred for people.

Which brings me to Patdys' question. Why do I volunteer time on a discussion board if I'm really a misanthrope? First, let me assure you that the misanthrope angle is not a fabrication. Nevertheless, I really value discourse and debate, especially with people who communicate well. And you have to admit, there's some great communication going on about these boards. Not all of it, of course. But enough. More than most settings. I'm glad to be here. Working to keep the Ship afloat feels a lot like raking compost to fertilize blossoms of understanding and expression.

And you're not far off the mark in weighing the people I love here versus the rest. I'll volunteer here until I'm too senile to type if only to help create a space for one more brilliant fork story from Sine Nomine, or one more patiently tender reprimand from Grits, or one more bravely honest comment from Kelly, or one more squamous and rugose sighting of tomb's snark, or one more laser-sharp insight from RuthW. Hell, I'd work here to just see what crazy-ass concept for/about the Ship IngoB and Yorick will come up with next, or for one more it-hurts-but-maybe-he's-right barb from Pyx_e, or to see Tortuf powder his avuncular wig yet again, or hear comet break into a blood-curdling scream. Not to mention that this place I tend helps me give tribute to people grew to know and love here: KenWritez, Erin, jlg.

TL:DR - It's all about me. Fuck you.

Which, uh, brings me to Jonah the Whale: You're kind of right, man. I can be an insensitive git. I think that being right is the best tactic on most fora, including Hell. It's good to call people on being insensitive and being a git.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tortuf, on the subject of a woman with chutzpah being said to have balls:

quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
You may have a greater knowledge of anatomy than I, but last I checked, females don't have balls, except of course as pets.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

A brief discussion of group dynamics:

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
I think it's... well... some crazy-ass petri dish of human nature cultivating.

And clearly, over this weekend someone added some crazy-ass nutrients to the crazy-ass petri dish, because the whole place has gone completely bonkers.

Not enough sedatives in the communion wine this week.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead
And at least some here say that belief system teaches that an omnipotent, all-loving creator of all things knows that [a non-believer] will spend all eternity in the fires of hell because he didn't pay enough attention to a dead Jew on a stick. Now that's offensive.

Thought this deserved preserving.

Substitution inside the brackets mine.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If we flew Anselmina to every seminary in the world just to say this paragraph, it would be a good use of money:

quote:

Perfection isn't required; Damascan Road experiences, neither. A fabulous theologian might be fatal in a sensitive pastoral situation, and a talented evangelist useless in leading a parish. But persistence, obedience, self-effacement and an eye for practical details however go a long way towards the ordinary day to day slog of parish priesthood.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB sums up my three years in grad school studying metaphysics:

quote:
Concentrating a laser-like focus of super-human attention on matters nobody in their right mind could possibly give a shit about has always the point of Aspergers-R-Us, i.e., the academe.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Archived because of its odd theological correctness:

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
You leave my fortress of solitude out of this. My one remaining pleasure in life is an early day motion while smoking my pipe and listening to the jays coughing on the roof.

I've asked and God thinks this is bit TMI. Jesus was seen sniggering behind his hand, though.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Pyx_e's like our version of John the Baptist.

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:

Originally posted by RooK:
quote:
When other people walk into a church with a looming crucifix, how do they describe what they see?

Look what he did for RooK.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Overused]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Firenze provided me with a precious mental image:

quote:
I've had a peek at the crew Christmas Tree (just a glimpse; Jedijudy normally barricades the door on 1 December and all you can hear for weeks is the sound of ripping tinsel and swearing)

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  ...  57  58  59 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016